Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

.Z. posted:

I wonder if there is some kind of color limitation they ran into for MT3 with PBT. All the PBT sets I've seen are mostly white in color. /dev/tty, Serika, Godspeed, and the upcoming LOTR themed ones are all white/off-white dominant color sets.

I had no idea MT3 Godspeed was PBT - I'm tempted to try and flip my SA Godspeed set for an MT3 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

It's gonna take a while for me to decipher this GK6XPlus software

Its so bad lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

.Z. posted:

I wonder if there is some kind of color limitation they ran into for MT3 with PBT. All the PBT sets I've seen are mostly white in color. /dev/tty, Serika, Godspeed, and the upcoming LOTR themed ones are all white/off-white dominant color sets.

Double shot PBT isn't too common and dye sub needs dark legends on a lighter tone, unless it is a double dip dyeing which I haven't seen anywhere outside of GMK clones in PBT

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone know if I can set up this behavior in GK6XPlus? Sorry still struggling a bit with the software.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

.Z. posted:

upcoming LOTR themed ones

I'm sorry, WHAT?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Does a switch exist that has a Blue-like click, but isn't as loud? Or am I Goldilocks asking for the impossible?

Kailth box pinks or a tactile switch like bobas U4T

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm sorry, WHAT?

https://drop.com/featured/lotr

Still active too. Go go go

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I just got delivery of my System76 Launch board the other day and I really like the layout even more than I thought. I've been really digging the split space bar, but since it's been shortened to 4u total, the 1u keys on either side of the space bars are way easier to hit with the thumbs.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I got the Drop assembled idobao 87v2 and I really didn’t know it would be so nice. Far and away the heaviest keyboard I’ve owned, great to type on with U4s. Wish it was a few mm less tall but that can be solved if I find the right wrist rest

Anyway i recommend it

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Babbys first keyboard :toot:

Unfortunately the ergonomics kind of suck? It's too high. I have to tilt my wrist up or hover my arm. :sigh:

e: also the whole thing rests on 8 tiny screws that slide around a lot

bltzn fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bltzn posted:

Babbys first keyboard :toot:

Unfortunately the ergonomics kind of suck? It's too high. I have to tilt my wrist up or hover my arm. :sigh:

e: also the whole thing rests on 8 tiny screws that slide around a lot

Definitely get a wrist rest if this is an issue for you, bent wrists is how you get carpal tunnel and it sucks when your fingers start to go numb; it's that pins and needles feeling that kind of hurts. Some folks get nerve pain shooting up their arms, too.

As for the feet, that seems weird, if that's how it's supposed to be I'd consider some small rubbery adhesive feet that just slightly clear the screws on the bottom.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Last month I came to this thread looking for recommendations on keyboards and I was eventually convinced to get an Akko brand. The current shipping crisis being what it is, it only came in today. I had been using a Logitech G815 up until now that I had gotten pretty used to, but I'm going to give this Akko keyboard a few days chance before I switch back.

My one question, though, is that it came with this weird tool. Anyone know what it is?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

My one question, though, is that it came with this weird tool. Anyone know what it is?

When the time comes you'll know what to do with it.

Kidding aside, it's a key cap puller. Slide it over a cap with the bars parallel to the sides then turn it a few degrees so the bars hook under opposite corners of the cap, then pull up.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
That's what I thought it was for, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. Thank you for educating me.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Lugoo Deer In Woods. Only on a Das temporarily, probably -- I want to do a wood case build for these, but happened to get a Das back from RMA support today and I don't have the other build even ordered yet.

I like these a lot but drop hosed up and didn't send me arrow keys clearly shown in the diagram. There's enough cutesy extras that it's not catastrophic, but this is the first set of keycaps I've ordered from Drop, so, not super inspiring, I will see how their support resolves it.

In the meantime I will pretend "Fn" is "Finland", implying that when we go "Up", we go to Finland. From looking at my globe I think that's sorta correct.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

That's what I thought it was for, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. Thank you for educating me.

Someone had to show me, too. :cheerdoge:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Drop has really good support, I wouldn’t sweat it too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For lubing stabilizers, would you recommend using dialetic grease in the plastic housing or just on the wire?

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

mariooncrack posted:

For lubing stabilizers, would you recommend using dialetic grease in the plastic housing or just on the wire?

I did both. I used a brush to coat the sliding plastic surfaces and dunked the ends of the stabilizer bar into the grease. Personally, I found that more grease on the wire makes it sound a lot more pleasant.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

I would put dielectric grease only on the wire. I'd recommend something like 205g0 on the outside of the housing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
:toot:

Took me probably an hour and forty-five minutes all together. I only lubed the stabs (i.e., globbed on some dielectric grease on the wires) and left the Zilent v1 62g switches stock. The keyboard is nice and quiet and feels really solid in the stack-mount configuration, a huge change from my DZ60 in a polycarbonate Tofu that has loose PCB mounting screws that I'm still too lazy to fix :v: The FR4 plate feels and sounds :discourse:

It feels a little weird typing on SA after literally years of typing on MT3, though. Maybe I should break out that unused MT3 Dasher set languishing in my closet...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh man I love the combination of the godspeed legends with the symbolics space cadet style alphas there.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Oh man I love the combination of the godspeed legends with the symbolics space cadet style alphas there.

I call it Godspeed You, Space Cadet :shobon: Had it for a while on the aforementioned DZ60 build before getting MT3 Susuwatari

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I ate'nt dead.

Sorry about the delay - I got Real Unmotivated there because one of my cats shuffled off this mortal coil. Pictures of stuff tomorrow.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

I ate'nt dead.

Sorry about the delay - I got Real Unmotivated there because one of my cats shuffled off this mortal coil. Pictures of stuff tomorrow.

That is awful, I'm so sorry. I was a mess for a month solid when my dog passed away last year, take your time bud.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Exit Strategy posted:

I ate'nt dead.

So sorry about your friend.

I love you for the Lords and Ladies reference though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pets are friends like any others, take all the time you need!

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Took me probably an hour and forty-five minutes all together. I only lubed the stabs (i.e., globbed on some dielectric grease on the wires) and left the Zilent v1 62g switches stock. The keyboard is nice and quiet and feels really solid in the stack-mount configuration, a huge change from my DZ60 in a polycarbonate Tofu that has loose PCB mounting screws that I'm still too lazy to fix :v: The FR4 plate feels and sounds :discourse:

It feels a little weird typing on SA after literally years of typing on MT3, though. Maybe I should break out that unused MT3 Dasher set languishing in my closet...

The tiny Enterprise :allears:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
keychron k6 showed up with gatreon blues. I am happy with it, nice little easy to use no-fuss unit, makes it easier to do music poo poo because I didn't have a wireless keyboard and my third monitor that's over my mixer is far enough away from my PC that I have 10' USB cords running. One down, now I need a wireless mouse.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Geistmaschine Geist went on sale this Saturday and as of yesterday only 20% of the 250 initial units were left! That's a €1400-1700 (inc. 19% VAT for EU) board not including extras :eyepop:

Would love to get one for myself but lmao not for what is basically a paycheck.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Mode SixtyFive confirmed not to have NKRO

I mean, fair point, not too many real-world use-cases for NKRO, I guess? But when basic mainstream keyboards like Razer and Corsair have it, why wouldn't a boutique, enthusiast keyboard not? Can any real PCB designers chime in on this? (Paging Exit Strategy) Am I just an entitled keyboard nerd to expect this?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I mean, fair point, not too many real-world use-cases for NKRO, I guess? But when basic mainstream keyboards like Razer and Corsair have it, why wouldn't a boutique, enthusiast keyboard not? Can any real PCB designers chime in on this? (Paging Exit Strategy) Am I just an entitled keyboard nerd to expect this?

Oh no I was gonna pick a Mode65 as my gaming keyboard :(

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

This is supported natively by QMK so unless their PCB designer completely hosed up it should be possible to enable by flashing the firmware with the feature enabled.

Note I do not have a mode65 so I can't speak to the specifics.

e: by default QMK supports 6KRO out of the box, but many PCBs that support QMK are flashed with the NKRO feature on

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 20, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ijyt posted:

€1400-1700

€1840 for the good one; copper accents.

But yeah... I'd be lying to say I weren't very interested to get one DESPITE the fact that it's my least liked layout.
It does have split shift dual 3u's though which is a saving grace.

Still, I don't have $2000ish+ lying around during the holiday season that hasn't already been put to better use.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

I ended up with a few minutes to check and yes, you can enable NKRO but you need to compile a custom keymap with QMK to enable it. So yes, the PCB supports it, it's just not available out of the box.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

I ended up with a few minutes to check and yes, you can enable NKRO but you need to compile a custom keymap with QMK to enable it. So yes, the PCB supports it, it's just not available out of the box.

Yup, I just did this myself, probably literally at the same time you were testing it, lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

€1840 for the good one; copper accents.

But yeah... I'd be lying to say I weren't very interested to get one DESPITE the fact that it's my least liked layout.
It does have split shift dual 3u's though which is a saving grace.

Still, I don't have $2000ish+ lying around during the holiday season that hasn't already been put to better use.

The copper is nice but I wish it wasn't so rose gold tinted. I will probably wait until the Tailored Edition is an option, especially if its a configurator.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ugh why is SA Symbiosis so hard to track down. KAT Space Cadet has tons of issues. Somebody should release an MT3 version.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ijyt posted:

The copper is nice but I wish it wasn't so rose gold tinted. I will probably wait until the Tailored Edition is an option, especially if its a configurator.

Yeah for drat near two grand I think I'll just design and proto my own board in all copper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
If anyone cares, PBT Taro just dropped on novelkeys so you don't have to spend a gajillion dollars on the gmk version