Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

CainFortea posted:

He was more powerful than Be'lal, and he got his third name. Which is something more than some of the other forsaken.

Yea, if I had to pick one to work for it'd be Asmodean. He doesn't even DO anything.

he made a play for the choedan kal, gotta give him respect for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He has a lot of sex with isendre.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I forget the darkfriend girl's name, but she complains that all he wants to do is play the harp and gently caress

Dude just needed a little evil weed and he'd be the Shadow's Jack Johnson

/\
Isendre, right

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Famethrowa posted:

Graendel would be a Instagram andTwitter superstar for sure.

She'd be Josh Duggar or Joel Osteen or any of those fame-hungry holier-than-thou people who are secretly major sex pests and hedonists

Graendal was originally a famous ascetic nun before going turbo mind-fucker

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

FWIW Jaichim "Call me Bors" Carridin was working for Ishamael and that did not go well for him

Didn't he get conflicting messages because two Chosen were both giving him orders and fighting over him? I know he had to deal with his dark orders contradicting his orders from the Whitecloaks, but it seem to recall him having to slam the brakes on something he'd already put in motion

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I forget the darkfriend girl's name, but she complains that all he wants to do is play the harp and gently caress

Dude just needed a little evil weed and he'd be the Shadow's Jack Johnson

/\
Isendre, right

not even any loving nym to grow the good poo poo anymore, third age is full of barbarians

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SerSpook posted:

he made a play for the choedan kal, gotta give him respect for that

I edited my other comment after the fact but it's the last post on that page so i'm reposting here because lol.

Actually WoT wiki is weird about Asmodean. Because it says he was a capable administrator, and his sectors didn't do the attrocities that other forsaken did. Except that any musician who ever said anything bad about his art, or who he felt ever tried to rival him, were maimed in some way so they couldn't not do that art ever again and then released.

It says that as the worst thing he ever did, and then just offhand mentioned that he severed his own mother and gave her to the fades for their pleasure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Asmodean was just there cause Shai'tan is a big fan of lo-fi grooves

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Just thinking of playing some guitar and letting my mom get raped to death by nightmare monsters, nbd, what are you doing?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SerSpook posted:

pulling a taim, i respect the game but good luck

Team Taimandred.

/I still believe

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CainFortea posted:

I edited my other comment after the fact but it's the last post on that page so i'm reposting here because lol.

Actually WoT wiki is weird about Asmodean. Because it says he was a capable administrator, and his sectors didn't do the attrocities that other forsaken did. Except that any musician who ever said anything bad about his art, or who he felt ever tried to rival him, were maimed in some way so they couldn't not do that art ever again and then released.

It says that as the worst thing he ever did, and then just offhand mentioned that he severed his own mother and gave her to the fades for their pleasure.

It's not so much saying that he wasn't a horrible person, just that compared to some of the other Forsaken he wasn't that bad to live under. Like, if you weren't an artist you were probably fine, and if you were and he didn't like you he'd merely painlessly maim you so you couldn't do art anymore. Compared to, I dunno, repeatedly torturing and healing you until you beg for death, or feeding you your entire family piece by piece - which are absolutely things I can see certain Forsaken doing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Winter's Heart posted:

"With saidar in her, Cyndane could see the faint lines at the corners of the woman’s eyes. Not one of those who called themselves Aes Sedai, then. But who? And why did she stand there as if she would bar Cyndane’s way?"

RJ was really good at giving insights into a character with just a few lines.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

RJ was really good at giving insights into a character with just a few lines.

Into both the character thinking and the character being thought about, even!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

It's not so much saying that he wasn't a horrible person, just that compared to some of the other Forsaken he wasn't that bad to live under. Like, if you weren't an artist you were probably fine, and if you were and he didn't like you he'd merely painlessly maim you so you couldn't do art anymore. Compared to, I dunno, repeatedly torturing and healing you until you beg for death, or feeding you your entire family piece by piece - which are absolutely things I can see certain Forsaken doing.

Yes, I got that. My point was that it made a big deal about his pettyness to those he felt were rivals were touted as the worst thing he'd done.

Not severing his mother and giving her to Myrrdraal for sport.

I don't know about you, but the second thing seems worse.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think being a dark friend ever turned out good for any of the non chosen. It’s a bad profession to take up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Yes, I got that. My point was that it made a big deal about his pettyness to those he felt were rivals were touted as the worst thing he'd done.

The section directly says that was the worst thing he ever did though? It definitely sounds like it could have been part of some sort of initiation event. So basically, him being petty was how he normally acted, but with one singularly horrific act to seal his allegiance to the Dark One.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CainFortea posted:

They might have meant the worst thing he did as an administrator and it was poorly worded?

The stuff he did to his mother seems like it was probably the initiation price to get him a position high on the totem pole with the Shadow. Do a heinous act that the other side will never forgive you for publicly so you can never go back. Also make sure that you're stabbing in the back someone who means a lot to you to show your devotion to the new cause. Otherwise its really out of nowhere considering the rest of Asmodean's characterization.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think being a dark friend ever turned out good for any of the non chosen. It’s a bad profession to take up.

It plays into the fact that the books show you the Dark One really is the Father of Lies. I don't think a single Darkfriend gets anything, perhaps best exemplified by the dream Rand has of the one he escaped from in EOTW.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zore posted:

They might have meant the worst thing he did as an administrator and it was poorly worded?

On re-read that seems more likely.

"blinded and/or otherwise maimed. There was no other torture involved; Asmodean's victims were simply rendered incapable of practicing their art and then released. He is also known for having severed his Aes Sedai mother and given her to the Myrddraal for sport."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Forsaken are hilariously all incompetent and get clowned all the time by people. I actually enjoy that.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, google "map of Tar Valon" [NWS]

Google "map of paris 800s" (also NWS)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm almost finished with Crossroads of Twilight. A whole lot of nothing excepting Mat's story has happened in this book. drat at least it was a quick read.

edit:

Well that was fast. I thought I had more to read but I finished Egwenes chapter and then it moved on to Rand. Here are my thoughts on Cross Roads of Twilight

Everything with Mat and the Daughter of nine Moons and the traveling with Lucas show is really good. Its a great story and I look forward to the finishing the story , hopefully next book , but I like Mats Adventures.

Perrin and Failes story was as boring as poo poo. I mostly skimmed through it and read as much as I could deal with it was still boring and I was just not invested at all.

Not a whole lot of poo poo happened at all.

Elayne's story just kind of ends? There is more machinations and such but they kind of don't leave off on a cliffhanger at all.

There's not a whole lot that happened in this at all for me to really write about.

Overall it wasn't as good as the last one at least the last one had a really great finish and this one ends with Egwene being capture and doing something with the chain? I dunno I didn't find it the Tower subplot that engaging.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 15, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

I'm almost finished with Crossroads of Twilight. A whole lot of nothing excepting Mat's story has happened in this book. drat at least it was a quick read.

11 was Jordan's last and quite possibly his best. I'm jealous you get read it for the first time, enjoy!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yeah the Chosen/Forsakens #1 trait is they were all selfish cowards to a fault. None of them wanted to be on the losing end, and they all had some personal interest that they wanted to preserve and "be the best at by eliminating everyone else".

It was really exciting when 11 landed and was so good because 9/10 had been a drag reading them as they were released. I got so hyped for the end game...then he died. I really am so glad we got to see it finished, and that we got one last really great book directly from Jordan before his passing. If CoT had been his last one oof.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

How are u posted:

11 was Jordan's last and quite possibly his best. I'm jealous you get read it for the first time, enjoy!

Yeah this is the farthest I've read with the series, I've been just kind skimming the Perrin and Faile chapters because I hate the story and it has gently caress all to do with the main plot. Egwene and Elaynes stories are at least interesting. Plus Elaynes stories always have Aveindha in them so thats always a plus.

Nynaeve was noticably absent this novel as well , she was kind of there with Lan practicing swords. Also not much was really shown of the reaction the Ashaman have toward the cleansing of Saidan.

I'm kind of curious as to whether Rand will ever get better because he's been weak as hell the last couple of books especially with Fains wound and the unhealing wound. I'm not sure if he ever gets rid of either of those, but his constant nausea etc .. when he tries to channel is getting a little old.

edit:

Honestly can't believe I've read this many books. I've still got a ways to go maybe 3 weeks I'll be finished with the series.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 15, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's some really good bits in KoD and then it only gets better from there so enjoy :D

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Golden Crane is probably one of the best things he wrote. I remember crying the first time I read it, I still get kinda teary eyed when I think of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well now I'm really looking forward to Knife of Dreams, I didn't realize its the last Robert Jordan book.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Well now I'm really looking forward to Knife of Dreams, I didn't realize its the last Robert Jordan book.

one of the best books too, solid A-tier

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tomorrow's episode is probably the one i'm the most excited for so far, if the bare minimum i know about it is anything to go by

i wonder if min's ability is part of what reveals rand as being who he is. i'm sure there's all sorts of poo poo popping off around him. the vague glimpse of what we got in the preview of min viewing perrin was cool.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Jordan wrote *parts of* all the books. 11 is just the last one that he finished entirely without Sanderson's assistance.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I want to make a shoutout to the final epilogue of the series. Its just wonderful and I will die on this hill

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, there's bits of jordan's writing in all the books after knife of dreams. the intro to the book right after it, in fact, is one of those. also iirc the 'final encounter' in the last book is mostly jordan as well. i don't think they edited it much, if at all, mainly to preserve what was left of him.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I've been watching the behind the scenes clips that are being posted on the Amazon Prime Video YT channel, and Rafe consistently pronounces "moy-raine" and I now hate the TV show and want him to be fired.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
More-aine for lyfe

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mwarain

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jordan wrote *parts of* all the books. 11 is just the last one that he finished entirely without Sanderson's assistance.

What i found really funny is that by AMoL there were a lot of fans complaining about "weirdly" written passages that didn't seem to fit with other chapters, and uhh those were Jordan. For all the flak sanderson got, he def developed a good voice over the last 2 books to the point where most readers had adopted it and the purely jordan stuff suddenly seemed out of place.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I also think the Jordan bits probably weren't as edited as they would have been if Jordan had finished the series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hollismason posted:

edit:

Well that was fast. I thought I had more to read but I finished Egwenes chapter and then it moved on to Rand. Here are my thoughts on Cross Roads of Twilight

Everything with Mat and the Daughter of nine Moons and the traveling with Lucas show is really good. Its a great story and I look forward to the finishing the story , hopefully next book , but I like Mats Adventures.

Perrin and Failes story was as boring as poo poo. I mostly skimmed through it and read as much as I could deal with it was still boring and I was just not invested at all.

Not a whole lot of poo poo happened at all.

Elayne's story just kind of ends? There is more machinations and such but they kind of don't leave off on a cliffhanger at all.

There's not a whole lot that happened in this at all for me to really write about.

Overall it wasn't as good as the last one at least the last one had a really great finish and this one ends with Egwene being capture and doing something with the chain? I dunno I didn't find it the Tower subplot that engaging.

Now that you're done, you can be satisfied that you're through the slog. And most everyone agrees that's what it is.

Jordan (if I understand right) was trying to do a novel thing with his followup to the climactic Cleansing in the previous book — don't actually show the immediate aftermath, or anybody doing anything cool that they weren't able to do before that everyone's been aching to read about, but instead do this Rashomon thing where you get to rewind the narrative a few hundred pages and see the Cleansing from 100 miles off from three or four different groups' perspectives. Ultimately no plots advance, the timeline has not proceeded, but you've ... seen what everyone else was up to at the time. It was an experiment.

:itwaspoo:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Golden Crane is probably one of the best things he wrote. I remember crying the first time I read it, I still get kinda teary eyed when I think of it.

It’s so loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SerSpook posted:

which of the chosen would y'all want to work for?

i'd be down to sign on with ishamael or demandred tbh

Asmodean for sure.

Maybe Moridin. I could just doom post about nothing mattering over and over again

Demandred too.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 16, 2021