Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was probably a lovely alloy rather than actual gold. On the one hand, getting a seven year old an actual gold necklace is insane. On the other hand, my grandmother was out of her loving mind. She used to chew her food and then open her mouth so her sun conures could eat it off her tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What made it even weirder was that one of the race-kink couple (I think it was the guy?) was Black.

sounds like something out of the story of Slave Play

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was probably a lovely alloy rather than actual gold. On the one hand, getting a seven year old an actual gold necklace is insane. On the other hand, my grandmother was out of her loving mind. She used to chew her food and then open her mouth so her sun conures could eat it off her tongue.

As a bird person

What the actual gently caress

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Definitely conures up a gross image

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Brawnfire posted:

Definitely conures up a gross image

Definitely A Gross Image

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She also used to walk around in a housecoat covered in birdshit and watch the Price is Right while telling no one in particular that Bob Barker molests collies.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my son I will never again attend his honor society ceremony?

quote:

Earlier this school year my (38F) son got notice he was inducted into honor society for the last semester of his freshman year of high school. He didn't think it was a big deal. Admittedly there were no standards besides achieving a not very difficult GPA and about 40% of his classmates also did, but I was still proud. He did not care and kept talking about stupid it was. I still wanted to go see him inducted at the ceremony, he threw a fit about how it was boring and like a punishment. I told him it's just an hour and I'd reward him later by taking him out to his favorite restaurant. He still kept bashing it and at one point made me upset by saying he would intentionally lower his grades this semester so he wouldn't qualify. After seeing how upset that made me he said he wasn't serious but it still kind of put a damper on the whole thing. My husband just took the position of "if he doesn't want to go, don't make him", but he agreed to attend the ceremony with me.

In the end he went to the ceremony which was promoted as sort of "soft formal" dress like business casual even though the school's dress code is quite casual. I then noticed my son grabbed his certificate while wearing a Nirvana shirt and not the shirt we dropped him off in. Afterwards he told me he put the shirt on underneath and took off his dress shirt so he could have a bit of a rebellious way of going about it. Now honestly I probably wouldn't have cared if he had just worn the shirt to the ceremony to start since I doubt the school would've denied him entry and frankly I've liked Nirvana since before he was born, but his general attitude just kind of ruined the thing for me and left a bad taste in my mouth. I still fulfilled my promise and took him out, but decided not to discuss the honor society at all once he replied at first about how stupid it was. I also decided not to inform my parents or brothers and sisters since I didn't want them talking to him about it around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Well he told me he's on track to make it again this semester. I told him fine, whatever, I'm not attending the ceremony if he does. He told me he doesn't want to attend it anyway, but why wouldn't I? I explained to him how his behavior and attitude the last time completely ruined it and I don't want to go through with that again. It's entirely his choice to attend the ceremony or not, but either way I won't be going. And even that got him kind of upset. He told me that if he chooses to attend parents should go too, he was just angry at being kind of forced to go. He also asked if this applies to future years. I told him simply I'm never attending an honor society ceremony for him again. Kind of feeling a bit guilty because I realize he might mature his junior or senior year and not have such a bad attitude about it, but after this I don't see how anyone can blame me for not wanting to.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Soylent Pudding posted:

This mom is a loser

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I kinda hate food allergy and life threatening gut-surgery needing husband. He's told his mom he can't eat nuts and all the things she sends many times apparently, but the moment his wife has his back and tells his mom the exact same thing he throws her under the bus and tells her she was bad and wrong to make his mommy upset. gently caress that, have your partner's back when your family is being unreasonable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Always a good idea to decide how you'll deal with your kid's entire future based off the first incident

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Soylent Pudding posted:

help my teen acted in the most predictably teen manner in history what should i dooooooo

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Soylent Pudding posted:

Mom here is both stupid AND an rear end in a top hat. Why even bring this up? He wasn't going anyway, so just don't say anything about not going.

Completely avoidable, but she just HAD to get that dig in.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does Parenthood automatically turn you into a boomer? Wtf?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AITA For telling my son that he is the reason me and his mother are getting divorced?

quote:

I know upon reading the title alone, many of you will just call me an rear end in a top hat, and you might be right, but I want to explain myself first.

My wife and I have been together when we first met in high school. We were able to maintain a long distance relationship throughout college and stayed true to each other. I truly thought we were inseparable. She gave birth to a boy 12 years ago, and since then things changed drastically.

My son unfortunately has behavioral problems and it's been very difficult raising him. He throws temper tantrums, gets in trouble in school frequently, refuses to listen to my wife and I.

As a result, my wife and I started having disagreements about how we should handle him (i.e whether to punish more, let him get his anger out, etc). This created a wedge between us that kept getting wider. We both resorted to drinking more and wanting to be away from each other as much as possible to get some relief.

We started having more arguments and eventually it became so obvious that our marriage was deteriorating that family members started questioning it. So the topic of divorce came up and we both decided to go through with it.

When I first told my son about it, he cried endlessly then started throwing fits about how unfair it was. I completely understand that a divorce is hard on any child, but the intensity of his fits kept growing. Since my wife and I are separated (not yet divorced) and because she can't tolerate our son that much, we agreed that he gets to spend most of the week with me unfortunately, so I see him a lot and have to put up with his yelling far more than she does.

Last Friday he started asking if my wife and I forgave each other and I told him that the divorce is happening like it or not. He starts crying and I got mad and told him "buddy, want to know why we are getting divorced? Because of you, we were happy before you were born but you always act bad and get in trouble, so stop arguing with me when you caused it, you have nothing but yourself to blame."

This devastated him and I did apologize but I told him there was some truth to what I said. However, since then he's been more quiet and behaved, even my wife, who was with him over the weekend, said he was much better. So yes, I think I am the rear end in a top hat for telling him he was the reason we are getting divorced, but in some ways I don't think I am because maybe it was just something he needed to hear?

:owned:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

AITA For telling my son that he is the reason me and his mother are getting divorced?

https://twitter.com/SadiqoJN/status/1070995854272675840?s=20

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
My "favorite" reply was to a removed comment that apparently had some choice words:

Garbage Father posted:

I can understand me not handling this situation well and being called an rear end in a top hat for it.

What I will NOT accept is being called a garbage father, you have no idea how I raised my son for most of his life. Sure I may have made mistakes but I always cared for him.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For challenging my GF's dad on him having his employees work over the holidays?

quote:

This past weekend my GF and I went to her parent's house for a small family Xmas get-together. With all of my GF's siblings and significant others, there were about 10 of us there. My GF and I are in our mid 20s and have been together for almost 3-years. She grew up in a small town while I grew up in the city. Her dad has always had a thing for prodding me for being a "city boy." My GF has told me to just let it go and brush it off. According to her it's just his way of poking fun at his youngest daughter's BF and that he doesn't mean anything by it.

GF's dad owns and operates an auto shop in their town. I'd say he probably has 10-12 people working for him, and judging by their house and the cars he has, I think he does pretty well for himself.

During the day he had more than a few drinks and I had a few as well. He was talking with his sons about his shop and how he needs to have his shop open on Xmas eve and New Year's eve this year because things have been slow. Now, I know for a fact that this guy collected tens of thousands of dollars in PPP loans because he wouldn't shut up about it one of the last times I saw him. I also know those loans were completely forgiven in our state. I also know that he just helped my GF's sister make a down payment on a new house.

So as he was complaining about his employees not wanting to work during the holidays, I asked him if he was going to be working those days. He told me he was not because he and his wife were travelling out of state to see relatives. I asked him why he was surprised that his employees are upset when he's literally going on vacation and asking them to work holidays.

He said until I run my own business, I won't understand. I told him it just seems like bad optics to his employees that he's asking them to do something he's not willing to do himself, so of course they are going to be upset. I then asked him if he is at least paying them extra for that time. He didn't answer and only said that he pays his employees more than any other shop around and that he isn't going to take business advice from some city punk.

At this point my GF came into the room and pretty much dragged me out before I could say anything else. She scolded me for even saying anything to her dad because I should know better. I told her I was tired of always being told to keep my mouth shut to keep the peace when she won't tell her dad the same thing. She said it's just easier that way because I will listen and her dad is stubborn.

I told her that's BS and that I was ready to go and if she wanted to stick around for a bit that I would take a walk or do something else because I'm not going back in there. She told me I was being a jerk and ruining her family Xmas, but I still took a walk to cool down. On the way home my GF tore into me for what I did and said that her dad had a lot to say about me after I left and now she doesn't know if she's comfortable bringing me there again.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

quote:

This devastated him and I did apologize but I told him there was some truth to what I said. However, since then he's been more quiet and behaved, even my wife, who was with him over the weekend, said he was much better. So yes, I think I am the rear end in a top hat for telling him he was the reason we are getting divorced, but in some ways I don't think I am because maybe it was just something he needed to hear?

Could have saved the marriage if they just told the kid he sucked before 12 years of his poo poo.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For challenging my GF's dad on him having his employees work over the holidays?

You mean your ex-GF, right OP?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Soylent Pudding posted:

also loving lol at the irony of loser parent getting mad at teenager for being "rebellious" and wearing a nirvana shirt. kind of missing the point, aren't we?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

thehoodie posted:

also loving lol at the irony of loser parent getting mad at teenager for being "rebellious" and wearing a nirvana shirt. kind of missing the point, aren't we?

If I had a kid that wore nirvana shirts for any reason I'd be over the fuckin moon

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Yet another of the thousands of divorces caused by the children.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Honestly if you're in a relationship and so bored of just making love all day every day that you decide to have a child, you were probably doomed to begin with tbh

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
me, 24, have money, furniture not caked in poo poo and kraft cheese: drat life is hell, if only there was a way to make it infinitely more terrible

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for making a joke about my friends 6th wedding?

quote:

Throwaway: Me (54F) and my friend "Debra" (55F) have known eachother since HighSchool. Debra recently got engaged to her BF after dating him for 2 years. This is going to be Debra's 6th marriage, and the wedding took place today. I was supposed to be her MOH again, so I was looking forward to it. 2 days ago, I called Debra and told her that I won't be able to attend the wedding. My ill Mother recently broke her leg and needed someone to stay with her for a while.

Debra was a bit sad, but she understood my emergency situation. She made a joke about how she'll have to drink double the wine to make up for my absence. I chuckled and joked back, "Don't worry, I'll just come to your 7th wedding." The call went dead silent and she just hung up on me. A few hrs later, I received several aggressive texts from the Bridesmaids. They said I was a bitch for making such a cruel joke, and that Debra had called them crying about how I "made fun of her." I feel bad and I'm wondering if I went too far. AITA?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

But this thread always likes it when people face the consequences of their actions?!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

thunderspanks posted:

If I had a kid that wore nirvana shirts for any reason I'd be over the fuckin moon

Further proof that Nirvana is dad rock now

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This mom is a loser

She’s, like, Nevermind going again

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Evil Willow posted:

Yeah you might be an rear end in a top hat but she might need to learn to be more picky before getting married??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

Oh man I wish I had a picture of the face I made reading this

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What made it even weirder was that one of the race-kink couple (I think it was the guy?) was Black.

Something similar happened on SA as well. It was weird.

One of my best friends has a "difficult" daughter like that and my godmother has had 25+ years of trouble with a son like that. Neither are bad parents, in fact rather the opposite. The dad in this story was way out of line for saying that to his son and of course we're only hearing his part of the story, but best believe that there are some kids with normal cognitive abilities and no obviously treatable mental problems who simply seem to have been "born difficult" and who make raising them a near-impossible task for their parents.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think that's about the right number where it becomes more funny than rude.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This mom is a loser
Yeah
My parents made me go to some honors society thing my senior year and it sucked.

I also only went to my high school graduation because my parents wanted me to. It sucked as well and I would have lost nothing by not attending. [reverie]As far as I'm concerned, I graduated when the bus ride home started on the last day of school, and some kid had unspooled a cassette tape and let the tape fly alongside the bus outside the window. And then the bus dropped me off at the end of my street and I walked home feeling like I was walking six feet above the ground. That night I went to a picnic with my friends and talked and laughed and threw an old notebook on the campfire, and as I drove home in the darkness every light was green.[/reverie]

Years later my mom said she hadn't realized at the time that I hadn't been very happy in high school. It was a really nice thing, that she said that.

Also, askamanager.com is doing updates all through December. Not much specific to share, but some pretty satisfying stuff.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

One of my best friends has a "difficult" daughter like that and my godmother has had 25+ years of trouble with a son like that. Neither are bad parents, in fact rather the opposite. The dad in this story was way out of line for saying that to his son and of course we're only hearing his part of the story, but best believe that there are some kids with normal cognitive abilities and no obviously treatable mental problems who simply seem to have been "born difficult" and who make raising them a near-impossible task for their parents.

Per that dudes post, he and the mom tried helping the kid by making him run off energy, and when that didn't work they became alcoholics. I feel confident in saying the parents are the assholes here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I mean, "arguing about discipline" is mostly likely one of the parents wants to beat the poo poo out of the kid to make him act right, and good money is on the OP if he thinks that kind of tough love honesty to a 12 year old is appropriate.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
born to be unpleasant

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kntfkr posted:

born to be unpleasant

world is a gently caress

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

quote:

now she doesn't know if she's comfortable bringing me there again.

Posting a win but acting like it's a loss

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Evil Willow posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Batterypowered7 posted:

You mean your ex-GF, right OP?

Unless she grows a spine this does seem inevitable