Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
One of a couple of cocktails I made from The Aviary’s holiday recipe book this weekend. The “cider margarita” doesn’t really resemble a margarita but is instead a wonderful spiced cider fortified with tequila. The ice cube is a cranberry-rosemary cube, compromised with tequila to promote fast melting. As it melts, it imparts a new element to the drink. Plus when you’re done, it leaves behind a nice, sweet-tart granita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m in a discord Secret Santa and this was my gift. Something about meeting a minimum order for Drizly I guess.

So I whipped up a cocktail.

Behold: the White Russian Dossier.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Next time you should grate the Cheetos over the drink. Like nutmeg.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I love the taste of passionfruit but historically haven't really mixed with it. I finally got the real deal frozen pulp. How should I mix with it? Beachbum Berry would say mix 1:1 with 1:1 simple syrup. Seems as good as any spec. Planning it for an agricole blanc daquiri with not much else in it, lime juice, essence of lime zest. Might look up or brainstorm a different drink once I make the prep.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I used passionfruit purée in a Saturn which doesn’t have simple syrup at all.

https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/saturn-cocktail/

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I strain the passion fruit purée, split the juice, vac seal and freeze half and then add equal part Simple syrup to the other half. I do that because it doesn’t last super long and I don’t use a ton of it, but a splash of W&N over proof does help extend the fridge life of it. The juice can either be thawed later for making more syrup, Tonga mix, Hanalei mix, mezcal mules or anything else you don’t want the extra sugar of syrup in.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Another vote for combining an equal amount of puree and 1:1 simple and adding an oz or so of high proof liquor as a preservative. I like it in a Mr. Black & Gold, a sort of a remix of a Mr. Bali Hai.

https://links.mixelcocktails.com/nChy

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It was Mexican food night and this thread got me thirsting for passion fruit.

Passion Fruit Margarita:

2 oz blanco tequila
3/4 oz passion fruit syrup
3/4 oz lime
Dash orange bitters
Pinch of salt
Shake
Orange peel

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Planning to make a cranberry rosemary syrup this weekend. I’m going to do it in an immersion circulator. What i’m wondering is, do I put the rosemary in the vacuum pack, or steep it in the syrup once it’s done?

I’m thinking putting it in the bag will be fine, as I do that with roasts and stuff, but maybe a syrup is different because of how much easier it is to penetrate? I’m wary, as I know you only steep herbs when making syrup on a stove for like ten minutes with the heat off.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I made a few cranberry cordials this season and added the rosemary at flameout. Primarily because I’m always worrying about the flavor becoming too dominate, not worries of over extraction. If you want a rosemary bomb I’d say go ahead and put it in the bag, but if you want a little more control a hot steep is more forgiving and you can strain to lock in the intensity as soon as you hit the desired levels.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Planning to make a cranberry rosemary syrup this weekend. I’m going to do it in an immersion circulator. What i’m wondering is, do I put the rosemary in the vacuum pack, or steep it in the syrup once it’s done?

I’m thinking putting it in the bag will be fine, as I do that with roasts and stuff, but maybe a syrup is different because of how much easier it is to penetrate? I’m wary, as I know you only steep herbs when making syrup on a stove for like ten minutes with the heat off.

It just depends on what you want, cooking it shouldn't really gently caress anything up. Rosemary isn't a delicate herb but heat will generally always extract different flavors than a cold steep.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Timely relevant video from this guy, who is cool and good

https://youtu.be/L0jkoUp_cWw

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Is anybody else batching cocktails for their freezer? I've started doing it and it's been fantastic. I order a few 1L glass bottles and batched variations on a Manhattan, Negroni and Martini. I added Creme de Cacao to the Negroni batch and it's fantastic. I'm thinking of doing a Vieux Carre next. Any other recommendations on booze heavy drinks that would batch and freeze well?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s the obvious choice, but an old fashioned or an improved whiskey cocktail are great options. If you’re feeling more adventurous, try a clarified milk punch.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you have Mixel, that question is easy to answer - save a search for >90% ingredient match and >30% ABV

Using that, I see a Mezcal & Montenegro, Alcazar, Mayor Rock, and Monte Carlos that look promising!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Death & Co. canned cocktails are *pretty* good.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

BrianBoitano posted:

Timely relevant video from this guy, who is cool and good

https://youtu.be/L0jkoUp_cWw

Wow I need to go buy a sous vide right away.

I love cocktail chemistry. I’ve seen some people (redditors) complain about him and his robotic style, but that’s why I like him. It’s professional and not annoying like 99% of all other YouTubers.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I bought a bottle of apricot liqueur to make some Slopes and they're delicious but now I'm realizing how long I'm going to have this bottle if I only use it for that. Anything else you all like to do with apricot liqueur? (It's Rothman & Winter, if it matters, not garbage.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I get Rothman & Winter whenever I can.

Angel Face
1 oz. gin
1 oz. Calvados
1 oz. apricot liqueur

Apricot Sour
2 oz. bourbon
1 oz. apricot liqueur
1 oz. amaretto
Juice of one lemon

Antonin Scalia is Burning in Hell
2 oz. dark rum
3/4 oz. apricot liqueur
Juice of half a lemon

I may have been already drunk when I came up with that last one. You might have to play around with the ratios.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Apricole Swizzle is really good: https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/05/apricole-swizzle.html

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Duey posted:

Is anybody else batching cocktails for their freezer? I've started doing it and it's been fantastic. I order a few 1L glass bottles and batched variations on a Manhattan, Negroni and Martini. I added Creme de Cacao to the Negroni batch and it's fantastic. I'm thinking of doing a Vieux Carre next. Any other recommendations on booze heavy drinks that would batch and freeze well?
Ticktock from Rumba is my current favorite:

1.5 cups white rum
.5 cup Smith & Cross
.5 cup Punt e Mes
.25 cup Peaty Scotch
2 tsp Ango
.25 cup syrup of choice (they use a clove/mint)
2/3 cup water
Serve over a big rear end rock with a lemon twist

Scythe posted:

I bought a bottle of apricot liqueur to make some Slopes and they're delicious but now I'm realizing how long I'm going to have this bottle if I only use it for that. Anything else you all like to do with apricot liqueur? (It's Rothman & Winter, if it matters, not garbage.)
Beachbum:

3/4 oz lime
1 oz fresh pineapple juice
1/2 oz R&W apricot
1/2 oz orgeat
1 oz light rum
1 oz Barbados rum

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
A classic, from the Waldorf Astoria cocktail book, the Charlie Chaplin:

equal parts
Apricot brandy
Sloe gin
Lime juice

Was it originally supposed to be an actual apricot eau de vie? Probably. But using apricot liqueur isn’t too sweet at all in my opinion as long as you don’t use an over sweet sloe gin. It comes out tasting like liquid sweet tart. I like to use this drink as a starter for people who aren’t sure what kind of cocktails they like since it is palatable to just about anyone but also not too TGI fridays. And it’s ~authentic~

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It took a long time to find Montenegro again but I finally did it. The M&M Booties posted about is heavenly, thank you!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

M&M's are amazing! I had one recently as a bar's house shot and its soo good.

Not sure if I posted about this before, but we're doing what we did last Christmas and making red/white/green jello shots but that are essentially a jet pilot cocktail deconstructed into three layers. It's good y'all.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Recommend me a good starter mezcal (~$40). My local Total Wine has Del Maguey, Illegal, Xicaru, El Padrino.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Toebone posted:

Recommend me a good starter mezcal (~$40). My local Total Wine has Del Maguey, Illegal, Xicaru, El Padrino.

Vida for mixing, Ilegal for not. I think Ilegal has a better balance but Vida punches through other ingredients.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Maybe I’m weird, I have a bottle of ilegal and I’m not super into it. It’s pretty soft imo, but I like the funky stuff. Tastes like diesel fuel? Sign me up

Outta that list I’d snag the vida

e: if you hate yourself or your friends get some monte alban

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Xicaru silver gets a bad rap, but I find it stands up really well in cocktails.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Finally made it to my local ABC store in NC after a few months, and I was amazed to find they finally have Creme de Violette now! Still more empty shelves then usual, but I still approve of the new management.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat I finally pulled a "quote is not edit"

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Man I love those 86co bottles. So nice for syrups and such. Nice color on that Aviation too

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Man I love those 86co bottles. So nice for syrups and such. Nice color on that Aviation too

It's a product that gets by almost entirely on the design of their bottle. It's good gin. But there'd be no real reason to use it over many of the existing offerings if it weren't for that loving bottle.

But they're totally worth it. The first thing I did has head bartender of the new place I'm at was switch the rail gin to Ford's for a few months so we can standardize everything into those bottles.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's a product that gets by almost entirely on the design of their bottle. It's good gin. But there'd be no real reason to use it over many of the existing offerings if it weren't for that loving bottle.

But they're totally worth it. The first thing I did has head bartender of the new place I'm at was switch the rail gin to Ford's for a few months so we can standardize everything into those bottles.

Haha I was about to say how much I loved Fords Gin, but it’s really all about the bottles.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
For mixing purposes is commercial maple syrup closer to 1:1 or 2:1 syrup? Tried googling and couldn't really find an answer. I would think the latter just intuitively.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

For mixing purposes is commercial maple syrup closer to 1:1 or 2:1 syrup? Tried googling and couldn't really find an answer. I would think the latter just intuitively.

A quick google of sugar content per liter says it's basically 1:1

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sir Lemming posted:

Finally made it to my local ABC store in NC after a few months, and I was amazed to find they finally have Creme de Violette now! Still more empty shelves then usual, but I still approve of the new management.

Nice, I'm looking forward to switching back to R&W violette once I'm done with my current Giffard's (which is all I've been able to find for a while). Giffard's is nice but I haven't been enjoying the Aviations as much lately as I was at first.

Or it could be that I'm finally getting tired of Luxardo. There are other maraskas that I'm thinking about trying next.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anything interesting to do with Empress that isn't just using it in a "regular" gin cocktail?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anything interesting to do with Empress that isn't just using it in a "regular" gin cocktail?

No. It's an instagram gimmick that's ten years late to the party.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Man, Death In The Afternoon would probably be my favorite "easy" cocktail if it weren't so drat strong. Like a G&T on steroids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

Man, Death In The Afternoon would probably be my favorite "easy" cocktail if it weren't so drat strong. Like a G&T on steroids

To me it's so dependant on the wine you use, I really like it with good champagne, but haven't loved it with prosecco or cava as much, general too sweet and the wrong notes.