Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

As is tradition, The Coward Douglas Ford acts only when forced

It's too loving late this time

Doug you ho, this is all your fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Observing the provincial response to Omicron, only one image comes to mind: that of Emperor Nero playing the fiddle whilst Rome burns to the ground.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So poignant it's the last four posts you've made on this site.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

infernal machines posted:

So poignant it's the last four posts you've made on this site.

lol

:justpost:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

What the gently caress

SEARCH WORKS?!?!?!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

You have to keep this going Wizard Master, I want to see this applied to every topic on this forum - why stop at regions? I want to hear your thoughts as you observe World of Warcraft's response to Omicron.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Another Bill posted:

What the gently caress

SEARCH WORKS?!?!?!

Has for ages my dude

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Wizard master is a true blue something awful poster. May he never die

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alberta's relaxed gathering restrictions will escalate Omicron risk, doctors warn

We're doomed.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 16, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Imagine the Corrupted Blood fiasco if Blizzard had acted like the Government of Alberta is acting.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 10, 2022

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

No poo poo. But Kenney has to spend Christmas with two other households you see. So we get to go through this bullshit again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I'm getting real tired of constantly feeling like I'm missing something new about omicron. Every story is the same except substituting "omicron" for "covid". We're about to get whacked by a ton of new covid cases. We know how to deal with that. It's nothing new. Hell, we even had advance notice this time.

I suspect renaming covid every six months won't push meaningful numbers of people towards taking it seriously. But sure, why not, it's cheaper than handing out masks and testing people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I'm getting real tired of constantly feeling like I'm missing something new about omicron. Every story is the same except substituting "omicron" for "covid". We're about to get whacked by a ton of new covid cases. We know how to deal with that. It's nothing new. Hell, we even had advance notice this time.

I suspect renaming covid every six months won't push meaningful numbers of people towards taking it seriously. But sure, why not, it's cheaper than handing out masks and testing people.

They’re just going to wait until everyone hates New Covid so they can makes big deal about bringing back Covid Classic to get people who quit having it last year back as consumers.

Predictable marketing trick.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

snorch posted:

Kind of glad the Coquihalla hwy is out considering.

Also: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-floods-update-dec-15-1.6287474

Coq is gonna reopen to commercial traffic only but I can’t wait until people try to drive up to Kelowna on it anyway, and the government won’t do anything to stop it because they love shrugging their shoulders and going “oh well we can only ask nicely”.

Just like their response to every single wave of Covid, which has been “gently caress around and find out”.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Also: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-floods-update-dec-15-1.6287474

Coq is gonna reopen to commercial traffic only but I can’t wait until people try to drive up to Kelowna on it anyway, and the government won’t do anything to stop it because they love shrugging their shoulders and going “oh well we can only ask nicely”.

Just like their response to every single wave of Covid, which has been “gently caress around and find out”.

Don't you mean that their response has been to fiddle while Rome burns?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That Alberta announcement is so dumb

Unvaccinated people were going to ignore the rules anyway but now the government has owned it, so when cases spike people are going to blame the government even more

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Alctel posted:

That Alberta announcement is so dumb

Unvaccinated people were going to ignore the rules anyway but now the government has owned it

I'd guess it's a gamble so later on they can advertise themselves as the party of the freedom idiots or whatever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

I'd guess it's a gamble so later on they can advertise themselves as the party of the freedom idiots or whatever.

And when a bunch of people die and then we have to shut poo poo down anyways, they will reject the premise of any press who try to hold them accountable, and then that same press will still uncritically report on all of their other lies as fact.

CTV put out a hit piece on a doctor that was criticizing them, and only after being called out revealed that their critic of the doctor was one of the war room trolls they have on government payroll.

When Kenney disappeared for 3 weeks during the 4th wave, that doctor was the only one providing updates on the situation.

Specifically, this troll

https://twitter.com/mattwolfab/status/1400182922427043840?lang=en

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/member-o...fence-1.5539300

You can still see the original title in the tab name. "critics accuse". The tweets in the article replaced text quotes from 'critics'

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 16, 2021

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Mandate letters are out. The one to the Minister of Housing is interesting in terms of priorities:

quote:

Work with provinces, territories, municipalities and the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance to develop a Fairness in Real Estate Action Plan that includes:
  • Amendments to the Income Tax Act to require landlords to disclose in their tax filings the rent they receive pre- and post-renovation and to pay a proportional surtax if the increase in rent is excessive;
  • An anti-flipping tax on residential properties, requiring properties to be held for at least 12 months;
  • A temporary ban on foreign buyers of non-recreational residential property in the Canadian housing market so that housing does not sit vacant and unavailable to Canadians;
  • Supporting the review of, and possible reforms to, the tax treatment of Real Estate Investment Trusts;
  • Developing policies to curb excessive profits in investment properties while protecting small independent landlords;
  • Reviewing the down payment requirements for investment properties;
  • Increased consumer protection and transparency in real estate transactions, including a ban on blind bidding;
  • Identifying how federal regulators can be better positioned to respond to housing price fluctuations and to help ensure a more stable Canadian housing market; and
  • Preventing “renovictions”.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My government lawyer friend seems to think that both fisheries and environment mandates are a lot stronger language than they have in the past.

Be interesting to see how the two new ministers do, both are apparently very pro-environment and conservation focused (important for fisheries as the ministry is split between conservation and exploitation)

Banning the herring fishery is definitively an important move and a hopeful signal.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

AegisP posted:

Mandate letters are out. The one to the Minister of Housing is interesting in terms of priorities:

Huh. That's ... not bad? Maybe five years or more too late, but something?

Lol at the idea of using income tax to end renovictions, though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
This just in, the Liberals tentatively consider using their mandate to "govern".

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

infernal machines posted:

This just in, the Liberals tentatively consider using their mandate to "govern".

Right? I'm wondering if there was a bit of an internal power struggle and some of the old guard got kicked out

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
yall it's the Liberal party lmao

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Don't credit the liberals with anything until stuff actually gets done :laffo:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah it seems suspiciously like "start looking into this now, by the time any of this is anywhere close to being enacted, the Conservatives will be back in power anyway."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"this is what we're going to introduce to die on the Order Paper in the next snap election"

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I mean if anything the last few years has been more 'libs gonna lib' than ever, but something feels different this time

maybe im coming down with covid brainworms

anyway feel free to quote my above post in 3 years when nothing has changed

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The exemption for "recreational" residential properties is pretty loving hilarious.

Can't wait for every studio apartment in Toronto to be redesignated as a ski chalet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Powershift posted:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/member-o...fence-1.5539300

You can still see the original title in the tab name. "critics accuse". The tweets in the article replaced text quotes from 'critics'

Lol Jesus. "This outspoken critic of the current regime donates money to political opponents of the current regime! Scandalous!"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This is kinda cool:

http://bocadellupo.com/dialogues/

quote:

Dialogues for the Vaccine Hesitant and Those Who Love Them are inspired by Boca del Lupo’s national Plays2Perform@Home project. In collaboration with Dr. Peter Centre, Boca del Lupo has produced four short scripts from Canadian playwrights to explore different root causes of vaccine hesitancy. These scripts are meant as practice dialogues for people who might find themselves in any number of difficult conversations, especially as folks gather for the holidays.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Alctel posted:

My government lawyer friend seems to think that both fisheries and environment mandates are a lot stronger language than they have in the past.

Be interesting to see how the two new ministers do, both are apparently very pro-environment and conservation focused (important for fisheries as the ministry is split between conservation and exploitation)

Banning the herring fishery is definitively an important move and a hopeful signal.

Mandate letters are absolutely loving meaningless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Alctel posted:

anyway feel free to quote my above post in 3 years when nothing has changed

Oh buddy, just you wait.

We can all sit back and have a hearty laugh while the house burns down around us.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Without a Minister For the Middle Class our situation is hopeless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Whoa there quick draw, I think we should consider striking a committee to consult stakeholders regarding the needs of the middle class, and possibly even those looking to join it, before we go all the way to appointing a minister.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
i guess the last play taught me to have compassion and empathy because the audience stand-in is a condescending sarcastic rear end in a top hat who can't stop poo poo-talking her own twin sibling and its absolutely awful

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

RBC posted:

Without a Minister For the Middle Class our situation is hopeless.

Lol, I forgot about that, that's my MP. Right, President of the Treasury Board now. Middle Class is doomed.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

RBC posted:

Mandate letters are absolutely loving meaningless.

I mean all the pacific herring fisheries just got suspended, which is huge news - more than they've done before. It's the backbone of the entire marine ecosystem and hopefully says a lot about the direction the new fisheries and enviro ministers are taking

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pacific-herring-fisheries-closure-1.6289030

#iwanttobelieve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1471250941831782401

Only $10m out of $383.8m but it's something,