Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hey guys, sorry to be AWOL for so long I've not been as active on the forums the past few weeks. Had a work trip and generally been pretty busy with the holidays.

If it's not too late I'd make my autopick Andy Milligan competing as a solo director, but if it is too late or you've given my pick to someone else no worries. I'm pretty swamped so won't be as active for at least through the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm torn. On one hand I'm happy to allow your pick since I never set a deadline for it and Milligan not being nominated makes it easy to add him without changing the vote. On the other hand there was a deadline for nominations and Milligan missed it. I could tell you to pick a nominee but then the poll would be hosed.

I'm leaning to allowing it. Any objections?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No objection here, the rules are a nice guideline to have but we are doing this for fun after all

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm torn. On one hand I'm happy to allow your pick since I never set a deadline for it and Milligan not being nominated makes it easy to add him without changing the vote. On the other hand there was a deadline for nominations and Milligan missed it. I could tell you to pick a nominee but then the poll would be hosed.

I'm leaning to allowing it. Any objections?

I say let him. It's not like he was around to nominate stuff. Letting one in doesn't hurt anything and adds more variety.

Just consider it another curveball in a thread of surprises.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I mean, Milligan is a buckass wild director who I want to see more from so I think he would be a fun addition to the pool. And yeah, you don't need to edit the poll, just maybe the last place finisher gets nixed or something.

On the other hand I was the one who missed all the deadlines so if you rule against me I fully accept that it's on me.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I say the more Milligan, the merrier.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Let The Jewish Trix Rabbit Vote!!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milligan's in unless someone objects. But that's 4 Council approvals so its veto proof now.

That's right. Meaningless veto proof debates. Arbitrary rules. Overly complicated rules and procedure. Constant paperwork fuckups. Constant voting with glacial progress. I tricked you all into playing Mock Congress this whole time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 16, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Servoret posted:

I think Shadow of a Doubt deserves a slot on the list. It’s a serial killer thriller with some chilling sociopathic moments with Joseph Cotten’s character. Strangers on a Train deserves a look too. Another creepy sociopath movie. I think both of them belong ahead of Dial M for Murder and maybe Stage Fright if space is a consideration.

I was just going off the top of my head with a list since I'm generally horrible at it since I get 'oooh what about that one?!' syndrome and end up with the next problem of having to cut something off the list and I'm even more horrible with that.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I ended up only using 50 votes. Maybe that will break some ties?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Does voting work again? Are we supposed to vote a second time if we've done it before?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It should work. We’ve had 13 ballots. If you’ve submitted one you should be able to click the link and it will tell you you’ve already voted.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aye, got it. Also go to bed goat

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

I also support Trix, for what it's worth 😅

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been very sick and out of it. So sorry.

There's 14 ballots so far. There's 100+ votes for "Other" but they all come after the 100th entry so I think the chart is just counting everyone below that together as a statistical insignificant number or something. Which is mildly unfun to see who gets no votes, but doesn't really matter for our brackets. Its also possible that's counting up unused votes? But the results don't show me anyone under 5 votes so I'm thinking its the former. There's a glut of people in the middle and getting down to 64 will take some math magic but that was the case last year too so :shrug:. 70 votes was probably a mistake but I don't think its a game breaking mistake. Live and learn.

Vote stays open until noon EST Dec 26th. 6 more days, gets us through Christmas. Hopefully by then I'll be healthy again and at least the stress and anxiety of Christmas will be mostly passed. I hope everyone else is having a good Christmas season and please feel free to invite your friends to vote. Because right now I have a 22 way tie for the last spots and that's gonna be complicated. So maybe more votes will fix that? Who knows?

Vote!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 20, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Done

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm gonna vote tomorrow!

e: I did it!

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 21, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't voted yet. I got through 30 votes and had to go do work.

I've also recruited at least three people to vote, and I don't think they've had a chance to put them in yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

3 days to vote. Votes lock at noon EST Dec 26th. Don't miss your chance before the Christmas craziness sets in. And of course always remember even though I was a fool who gave you 70 votes you don't actually have to use that many. If you only like 30 or 5 then hey... your ballot.

https://forms.gle/UqVQ4xkARFMmznAU6

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I am BURSTING with the urge to watch spookadoodles

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At this exact moment (19 ballots) the numbers work out PERFECTLY for 46 entries, 10 auto bids, and then 16 teams competing in 8 matches for the 15 and 16 seeds.

So I'm curious how the next 44 hours or so changes that.

Its also a VERY diverse blend of entries and some surprising bubble teams. Also a near perfect 17 for the HalloweeNIT.

"bubble team" = a team right on the bubble who may or may not make the tournament.

So if you didn't vote for your favorite because you thought they were safe... you have some time to vote and make sure.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

I already voted but I'm excited to see how things turn out, especially with a "VERY diverse blend of entries and some surprising bubble teams" to be revealed.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
John Carpenter losing to Team Trashfuck Goreface in round one

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Merry Christmas to all!

I hope you do all your decorating and shopping and visits and building toys and baking goods and everything else this crazy wonderful busy holiday brings. But hopefully you’re relaxing with some egg nog and wonderful company now and you still have just under 24 hours to get your ballots in. Tomorrow is Selection Sunday and the votes will lock and brackets will be set. So one last chore before the Christmas gift arrives.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m a little late but voting is now locked.

Gonna take a minute for me to put the bracket together but my intention is to make this Selection Sunday. So I’ll be back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We have a bracket!

I'll put together some numbers and facts later but right now just a quick explanation of how I put the bracket together. Alfred Hitchcock was the overall vote leader so I assigned him a #1 seed with the 11 auto bids making up the other 1-3 seeds. I manipulated them around to kind of theme up the brackets but the rest of the field was determined by raw vote totals and random number draws. The only time I switched something around was when someone drew their own team in the first round.

Last year we had 5 3way Play Ins over the first 3 weeks. We had a big glut of nominees in that bubble this year including a number of big name veteran directors so I decided the cleanest and most fun way would be to do 3 ways for all the 15 and 16 seeds. That means 6 movies for the first 4 weeks but I think its the best approach. If we disagree I can cut that pool down but I think it works.

I have to figure out the schedule. I also have to name the brackets. All suggestions are welcome. I think you can make out the vague themes I went with to determine them. You can see the bracket, vote totals, misses, and HalloweeNIT '22 entries on the spreadsheet. I had made it private while I worked this stuff out to maintain the surprise but it should be visible now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10sOMfyMvaC198kn3zvSTZNfF9E4PRren3hy9BOjWk4A/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you see problems or don't like something. I'll be back with more tonight/tomorrow. Tourney begins 6 days from now on January 1st. Here's to another fun tourney!

edit: Small change. I swapped my Jim Henson team with William Castle in the tourney since the former was matched up against another of my teams. I avoided that with a couple of other people but missed that one. If you see any other matchups like that let me know and I'll move them around.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 26, 2021

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Dracula.co.jp is my pick for this year's Cinderella story.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wow, quite a lot of teams that would seem like shoe-ins normally are missing here!
But my three strongest teams (Austria, Australia, Czechia) made it into the brackets.

Pretty sure Haneke & Co. have good chances against whoever makes it out of the three-way (probably my Indonesian team or the hit-and-miss Sister team, sorry King). Then it's up against either Vampires & Coke or Chunky. Do we still start with movie 1 if there's a series? Chunky 1 could probably beat whatever Vampire it comes up against, and while people like Chucky 2 I'm pretty lukewarm about it.

Australian New Wave has a good chance against the actor-director team, but there's some neat stuff in the latter and some obvious weakspots in the former so it's not a predetermined outcome.

Czech New Wave against Classic Universal? Dear lord, no idea!

3 more of my teams with movies that I really wanted to see (Satan, Indonesia, Philipines) into the play-ins. Exciting!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

Do we still start with movie 1 if there's a series? Chunky 1 could probably beat whatever Vampire it comes up against, and while people like Chucky 2 I'm pretty lukewarm about it.
Nope. That rule got a split vote last year so I chucked it. We got a few sequels on the same team last year like Ghostbuster 2 and Return to Nuke Em High 5.

I think 3 is the only real clunker Chucky. The rest are polarizing but they all have their fans so it will come down to the matchup. But Chucky can always have the bad luck of drawing his pals like Thinner or Freddy vs Jason.

Should I dare to predict my team's success chances?

Enemies of Horror lose to Yuzna no brainer
Mick and Flanagan lose to whoever, duh
Lucky McKee loses to Danny Boyle or Top Forties
Team YA loses to M. Night or Iron Curtain, but I wasn't even serious about that one
GdT's Creature Features MAYBE beats Tales from the Necromonicon but group tastes definitely favor the other guys.
Silver Spoons maybe draws even with Romero for lucky draws
King has 50/50 against Miike based on draws?
Cats in the Cradle maybe beats Tales of Dan O'Bannon
Ladies Night MAYBE beats Lucio Fulci since I think his big films are burnt
Jim Henson loses on my birthday because sadness
Living Dead MAYBE beats Castle but probably not because most of that team are duds
Universal MAYBE beats Czechs but probably not because weird usually beats old in this tourney
One n Not Dones lose to Provectaurs

So basically my best chance of winning a matchup is the Lynch/Cronenberg team I don't even like and just made as a joke. And all my hopes again rest on Ladies Night getting some good draws and going deep.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

All my teams win forever and then you all carry me on your shoulders and throw me up in the air

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Happy that all 3 of my teams made it, and there's definitely gonna be some crucial dice rolls here because I feel like all of my teams could easily win or lose based on the films that are selected.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Looks like a super eclectic mix. Let 'er rip!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Schedule is setup. I put a Spring Break week in after the first round to avoid burn out. Maybe I'll need it, maybe I won't, but learned lessons. Because of the extra Play In week we'll be going a week later finishing Sept 17th instead of Sept 9th. I think that's ok. The championship round is a kind of chill rewatch week and it still gives a couple of weeks to decompress before October (and a couple of buffer weeks in case something goes wrong or gets delayed).

I named the Brackets. Boomer (Silent and Atomic), Gen X (Giallo and Hammer), Millenial (Slasher and Splatter), and Zoomer (Digital and Misery). I don't love them but its the "era" theme I was going for. Feel free to suggest better.

I drew the Play In movies. They're... interesting. Of course I'll keep them secret until their weeks.

Here's some random Bracketology numbers and observations I've had.

- 138 total nominations. Beating last year’s 112. 11 automatic bids from 8 Council members, the HalloweeNIT winner, Serverot (for completing the HalloweeNIT challenge), and Deb (for being an invaluable part of this). 127 nominees up for vote. 20 ballots, down from last year’s 27.

- This is the second year in a row M Night Shyamalan has been a Play In. He fell to Predation in that matchup and is still chasing his first birth in the Field of 64.

- Rob Zombie was a #1 seed in Season 1 and fell first round to 16 seed Kaneto Shindō. and he was a 6 seed last season who fell to 11 seed Team Universal. Now he falls all the way back to a Play In team and will have to knock off two teams to make the tournament.

- Mario Bava was a #2 seed both first seasons and has more wins than anyone except Stuart Gordon, Brian Yuzna, and Ken Russell but falls all the way to a 14 seed this year and only avoided a Play In matchup by RNG draw. What happened?

- Brian Yuzna has the same number of wins and falls to a Play In but he was a 15 seed last year as well so its not really a fall. Just bad luck that 15 isn't an automatic spot this season.

- Takashi Miike also goes from being a #1 seed both of our first two seasons to falling all the way back to a 13 seed.

- Roger Corman and Koji Shirashi faced off twice in the first round (purely by chance, I swear) with Corman taking both matchups but in order to meet a third time they’ll have to both make the Elite Eight.

- Mary Lambert, Larry Cohen, Herschell Gordon Lewis, Tod Browning, Adam Wingard, Abel Ferrara, and Ti West all fail to make the tournament a 3rd time after back to back entries in the first two. Lambert, Cohen, Browning, and Wingard weren’t even nominated. And 3 of them were my previous noms so whoops. And Ferrara and West were mine this year. So I’m the kiss of death, as usual.

- Its tough to say who all the 3 time entries are due to the teams. Not everyone on a team last year drew a movie and I don’t remember every director on every team. But based purely on what I do remember and who did draw movies Brian Yuzna, Dario Argento, David Cronenberg, David Lynch, Don Coscarelli, George Romero, Guillermo del Toro, Ishiro Honda, Jack Arnold, Joe Dante, John Carpenter, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Koji Shiraishi, Lucio Fulci, Lucky McKee, Mario Bava, Mike Flanagan, Park Chan Wook, Rob Zombie, Robert Rodriguez, Roger Corman, Stuart Gordon, Takashi Miike, Terence Fisher, Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven, and William Castle. But there’s others who were in the tournament last season but simply didn’t draw a film such as James Whale.

- I have already set the ’22 HalloweeNIT both because there’s no point in keeping it a surprise this year and maybe with lots of advance warning more people might be able to participate. Anyway, notable from there is that Sergio Martino makes his second NIT appearance. Jean Rollin falls out of the main tournament and into the NIT. The entire rest of the field are teams and all first time NITers.

- From last year’s NIT besides the Champion Roy Ward Baker who had an automatic bid in the tournament Stephen Sommers, Tim Burton, Henry Selick, and Jan Svankmajer all made the big tourney this year, all on new teams.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just a head's up, I'll have the first matchup of the tournament up around noon EST tomorrow Jan 1st. Trying to remember everything involved and get it right. Last year I did it at 3 AM EST on Friday but (a) Jan 1st is a Saturday and (b) I'm making not staying up until 4 AM a resolution

So see you tomorrow. Have a happy and safe New Year's!

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

I'll be streaming the movies tomorrow at 7pm EST! You know where, and if not, PM me for deets.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Happy New Year! We’re back.

It took me a bit to get back into the groove on this so forgive me the speed bumps and a bit of lateness. I'll aim for noon every week. Lets get started with the first of four Play In weeks.

Silent Division 16 Seed: Joel Schumacher’s Blood Creek vs. (Darth’s There's Something About the Military-Industrial Authority Complex) Claudio Fäh’s Hollow Man 2 vs. (Fran’s Team Muddled by Mo-Cap) Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice

In our very first matchup of the season we have two familiar names and wild card new entry. Burton missed out on the tournament last year after a first round upset over Wes Craven in 2020 followed by a second round elimination by Guillermo del Toro. Schumacher made his first tourney appearance last year eeking out a 1st rd draw against George Romero before falling to him in a second round rematch that included my Ghostbeaters team as represented by Dan O’Bannon. If either of these directors hopes to improve their records and make it to the Sweet 16 they’re gonna have to fight an extra round to do so and get past each other. Burton draws one of his beloved classics but is it too much of a comedy and not enough horror to win this out? How about Schumacher’s odd obscure escaped con nazi occult film that seems like its a direct ripoff of Prison Break right down to starring Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell but also starring Henry Cavill and Michael Fassbender? I’m kind of amazed this thing exists. And our third film is another I had no idea existed. There was a second Hollow Man? Starring Christian Slater? What IS this matchup? Its a hell of a way to get us started that really showcases the random places we go in this tournament. So who’s gonna come out on top? Does Burton make his tournament return with the big name film or do one of these underdogs surprise us?

Sequel Alert: Hollow Man II is of course a sequel to Hollow Man. I haven’t seen it so I can’t say how necessary it is. It doesn’t seem like there’s any cast returns and from the sounds of it its similar to the Universal originals where you just kind of need to know there was an Invisible Man in the first one and he did some bad stuff. But I’m me so I’ll probably watch the first one.

Hollow Man is available on DIRECTV. Epix, Hulu, Paramount Plus, Spectrum On Demand, and Starz in the US.

Hollow Man 2 is available for rental from multiple US sources and there’s an iffy copy available on Youtube
Blood Creek is available on TubiTV in the US .
Beetlejuice is available on PlutoTV in the US.

Atomic Division 15 Seed: (mbd’s Fearsome Filipinos) Celso Ad. Castillo’s Snake Sisters vs. (Goat’s The Enemies of Horror) Brea Grant’s 12 Hour Shift vs. Brian Yuzna’s Beyond Re-Animator

Brian Yuzna is one of the stars of our tournaments. He’s played more rounds than anyone except Miike and Ken Russell and has more wins than anyone but Russell. Goons love Yuzna, even when he’s not working with a ton. And he’ll need that here since he holds at a 15 seed from last year but now has to Play In to earn it. But he’ll have Jeffrey Combs and Re-Animator to help him. Beyond is… the least of the Re-Animator films but it is a Re-Animator film and Yuzna has won with less. My Enemies of Horror make their second tournament appearance but are still looking for a win, and its team newcomer Brea Grant who gets the call with a dark comedy that may not entirely thematically fit the team theme but does get a lot of “not really horror” labels on Letterboxd. It also gets a lot of comparisons to Scorsese’s After Hours and the Sadie Brothers so I actually feel like I have a chance here. And then there’s the Fearsome Filipino’s entry… and I have no idea what it will be. That pull quote represents 100% of the words posted on Letterboxd about it. If nothing else we’re about to confuse some algorithm again. But offbeat, wildcards have a pretty decent record so even against a heavyweight in Yuzna and a good on paper second film this feels like a pretty wide open matchup that could produce three memorable films and a tight victory.

Sequel Alert: Beyond Re-Animator is of course the third of the trilogy of Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator. Di you need to see the first two films to understand the third film? Not really. Its a direct continuation of the main character and his science but its a new story. But SHOULD you see the first two films? Yeah. They’re both classics and Beyond… is not. Don’t let it be your first exposure to Herbert West.

ReDraw Alert: Our first week saw two sequel alerts and our first redraw. Fearsome Filipinos initially drew Trip Ubusan: The Lolas vs Zombies but while I could find a few iffy copies of it online I couldn’t find any with subtitles or dubs. So I redrew for something a little more accessible.

Re-Animator is available on AMC+, ARROW, Fandor, Kanopy, Shudder, and Tubi TV
Bride of Re-Animator is available on ARROW, Fandor, Kanopy, Night Flight Plus, Screambox, and Tubi TV

Beyond Re-Animator is available on Amazon Prime, Plex, TubiTV, and Vudu in the US.
Snake Sisters is available on The Internet Archive
12 Hour Shift is available on Hulu in the US.

Ok, that’s it. I think. I’m slowly remembering stuff. I’m not sure why I made this so complicated. But there’s our first two matchups of 2022. As usual its a real grab bag of random rear end movies you probably wouldn’t have even known about, maybe one or two you’ve been meaning to watch, and maybe one classic you’d be happy to visit. That’s why I love this.

Vote or change your vote until 12 noon EST Jan 8th (or when I get to the computer)

Next Week!
- Fran’s Team Rule Breaker vs. Sion Sono vs. Deb’s Bon Appetite!
- Goat’s Team K🖕ng vs. mbd’s Indonesian Insanity vs. Kangra’s Sister Act 2: Backing the Habit

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Beetlejuice seems like the obvious winner in that group. Second group seems like Yuzna could take it, but I know nothing about the other two.

Interesting first week!

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

:toot: Tonight! Sunday 7pm EST :toot:

Celso Ad. Castillo’s Snake Sisters
vs.
Brea Grant’s 12 Hour Shift
vs.
Brian Yuzna’s Beyond Re-Animator

E:

And yeah, it's an easy win for Beetlejuice. Both Hollow Man 2 and Blood Creek were mediocre, but at least Blood Creek has Nazi horse zombies going for it, what does HM2 have? Paper-thin characters and a Christian Slater cameo? They also somehow made the hot doctor from Twilight look schlubby and unappealing. I will note though that Beetlejuice has aged a little poorly, the sexual assault jokes aside, we're supposed to hate Deelia Deetz, when clearly she's a very lonely woman who medicates to treat an underexplored depression, who yearns for company and artistic fulfillment. Deelia is the real undersung hero of Beetlejuice.

"THIS IS MY ART AND IT IS DANGEROUS"

Scumfuck Princess fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 2, 2022

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

How can anyone hate Catherine O’Hara in whatever part she plays? I think Otho is supposed to be the real loathsome character in Beetlejuice, which is of course a little problematic too.

Snake Sisters is wild, sort of like if Maya Deren directed T and A exploitation trash. But it can’t sustain for ninety mostly dialogue-free minutes, and it has content that I’m pretty sure will automatically disqualify it in the minds of most voters (animal snuff for one thing, though thankfully the Internet Archive copy is too fuzzy to make much out).

I find Beyond Re-Animator really dreary, with none of the fun or wit of the first two films in the series. I don’t know how you make Jeffrey Combs playing Herbert West dull, but Yuzna does it.

I’m hoping 12 Hour Shift is OK, otherwise I might be voting for Snake Sisters even though my attention really started to wander after the first half. And Beetlejuice of course gets it in the other bracket, although I’m not sure that I want to see what Tim Burton has left in the tank after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't think you're supposed to hate her. Lydia's parents are lovely. They're indifferent to her and obsessed with social status. And that's why Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin can so quickly become the caring, present parents Lydia needs. But they're not cruel or malicious like Otho or Beetlejuice are. They're not villains, they're just the townsfolk who mess up and see the error of their ways by the end.

And the whole thing is just a clear swipe at 80s commercialism anyway.