Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bruceski posted:

Why do Demi-Bahamut/Phoenix have increased emnity?

Probably because it’s a huge loving dragon/firebird. If I were an enemy I’d go after the guy controlling the big dragon first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Is there a quick and dirty guide on how to do stuff in general with a controller in this game? I decided to finally grab a PS4 license (for backup in case something happens to my PC) before they get pull purchases but I literally have no clue how to operate the game on a controller. Can I upload my PC UI settings and apply them? Really not looking forward to setting everything up from scratch.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe you can upload your PC UI through the character select screen, but I'd go in expecting to have to adjust it no matter what.

For a controller guide, there's a good write-up in the New Players thread.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can sync your settings but, you're going to need to make totally new bars anyway because controllers don't use hotbars, they use crossbars.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just finished Endwalker and I need a place to post my extensive thoughts on the expansion:

whole thing owned, grand finale owned, this game owns, got some gurren lagann vibes from the climax which also owned

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, also the 2002 login bug....

IT WAS FROM 1.0

I'm a bit taken aback at times with how transparent they are with nitty-gritty details about how the game works in Yoshida posts. They frequently read more like one game developer's letter to another than a service provider making an address to customers. Most game company communiques set a base assumption that the player thinks computers are magic and MMOs are made by Gandalf.

Maybe it's not surprising that they include that little detail with this particular revelation, since half the community assumed it already, but still.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 16, 2021

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

theblackw0lf posted:

Finished Endwalker and loved it, but have some story gripes.

I don’t really buy Hermès turn. His arc stressed that he felt all life was precious which is why he was so upset that others could decide who basically lives or dies based on how functional they are. And even if he did have a somewhat dim view of humanity I don’t think he would want to put to risk all the flora and fauna, especially since some are his own creations.

I was originally bothered by the fact that every civilization in the universe but one died out as it felt too unrealistic, but then towards end it sounds like Meteion inadvertently ended some of those civilizations so that made more sense.

Yes his view was that all life was precious, but you've left out a crucial part of his worldview which was that living beings shouldn't suffer unnecessarily. This is borne out of a deeply personal struggle with depression where it appears that he feels his life is filled with lonely suffering. Given the number of predators on Elpis he has a hand in, he seems to have no issue with animals hunting each other, for instance. When we meet him on Elpis, he is searching for something to make it all seem worth it. Thus he created the Meteia to go out among the stars and return with information from other stars about what they see as the meaning of life. He hopes that they'll return with a plethora of answers and he can pick-and-choose the one that makes everything make sense.

They return and tell him that there is no point, a ton of the civilizations they encountered were in the midst of killing themselves or had killed themselves, and that they all suffered greatly while inflicting untold harm on their world including to the flora and fauna. He believes the Meteia almost unquestioningly because, to Hermes, this seems to have confirmed a feeling that had been building in him--that life has no meaning and therefore the best way to minimize suffering is for all life to end. This is why he defends Meteion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The last section of the dev notes about "suspicious services" has me very curious. Anyone have a clue what it's referring to?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

The last section of the dev notes about "suspicious services" has me very curious. Anyone have a clue what it's referring to?

I'm just guessing, but I suspect there are services where you get a discount on your sub by paying some dodgy provider in bitcoins or starbucks gift cards or something, and they log into your account to make the payment to square-enix with a stolen credit card

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rosalind posted:

Yes his view was that all life was precious, but you've left out a crucial part of his worldview which was that living beings shouldn't suffer unnecessarily. This is borne out of a deeply personal struggle with depression where it appears that he feels his life is filled with lonely suffering. Given the number of predators on Elpis he has a hand in, he seems to have no issue with animals hunting each other, for instance. When we meet him on Elpis, he is searching for something to make it all seem worth it. Thus he created the Meteia to go out among the stars and return with information from other stars about what they see as the meaning of life. He hopes that they'll return with a plethora of answers and he can pick-and-choose the one that makes everything make sense.

They return and tell him that there is no point, a ton of the civilizations they encountered were in the midst of killing themselves or had killed themselves, and that they all suffered greatly while inflicting untold harm on their world including to the flora and fauna. He believes the Meteia almost unquestioningly because, to Hermes, this seems to have confirmed a feeling that had been building in him--that life has no meaning and therefore the best way to minimize suffering is for all life to end. This is why he defends Meteion.

He wants the ancients to be judged and he also wants to be judged. Not just so he shares their fate but so he can fight against it too. Despite all the despair and poo poo he felt leading up to that moment, it still spurs him to action. He might not know why he lives or what his purpose is in life, but he is determined to fight against the nihilistic notions that Meteion's hivemind bears at the moment. For all his mixed feelings on things, he still rejects "nothing matters lol, lmao".

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
What mechanic am i missing in the last tank role quest? How do i prevent that final wipe mechanic?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What mechanic am i missing in the last tank role quest? How do i prevent that final wipe mechanic?

It's an interrupt and not a stun (cast bar is flashing). Interject it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Are you using Interject to interrupt the flashing cast bar?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Interject, I was glad to see an interrupt mechanic in a dungeon boss this time around. I have no idea what True Bravery does because I’ve never let the boss cast it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Interject, I was glad to see an interrupt mechanic in a dungeon boss this time around.

Me too! I hope they use it more, it's one of the mechanics they haven't really taken advantage of outside of solo stuff once you get past level 50.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Interject, I was glad to see an interrupt mechanic in a dungeon boss this time around. I have no idea what True Bravery does because I’ve never let the boss cast it

I'm fairly sure you get a reskinned Bard as a Trust for that dungeon just so you always have a source of interrupt.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Am I crazy or is summoner getting demi Phoenix just straight up a nerf? Same potencies on everything but now every other demi you get a heal instead of a deathflare. Cool that a trait gives you a nerf

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It’s just extra utility. Bahamut is supposed to be more damage, but phoenix phase is still going to do more damage than any of the non bahamut ones

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's an interrupt and not a stun (cast bar is flashing). Interject it.

Thundarr posted:

Are you using Interject to interrupt the flashing cast bar?

Oh whoops, thanks.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Onean posted:

Me too! I hope they use it more, it's one of the mechanics they haven't really taken advantage of outside of solo stuff once you get past level 50.

Yeah I basically forgot it even exists, lol

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Phoenix is to heal yourself back up after you steal aggro with Bahamut and burn through both shields during the primals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harrow posted:

It's a damage buff on the boss that is basically unnoticeable because tanks have all that extra beef.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If anyone has ever been afraid of tanking, now is the time to start tanking. EW tanks are the tankiest tanks to ever tank.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bruceski posted:

Why do Demi-Bahamut/Phoenix have increased emnity?

You get a spike of emnity when you summon them because it's might be the first spell you cast in combat and that tags the mob to you.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I'm a bit taken aback at times with how transparent they are with nitty-gritty details about how the game works in Yoshida posts. They frequently read more like one game developer's letter to another than a service provider making an address to customers. Most game company communiques set a base assumption that the player thinks computers are magic and MMOs are made by Gandalf.

Maybe it's not surprising that they include that little detail with this particular revelation, since half the community assumed it already, but still.

At the same time, it did take them a few weeks to begrudgingly admit what literally everybody has been saying - that the 2002 errors aren't entirely a product of poor connections and there was something happening on their end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

VanillaGorilla posted:

At the same time, it did take them a few weeks to begrudgingly admit what literally everybody has been saying - that the 2002 errors aren't entirely a product of poor connections and there was something happening on their end.

They've always said 2002's are an issue on their end. The 90002's are the thing they're blaming users for.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Heroes from beyond the rift, go away!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kurieg posted:

They've always said 2002's are an issue on their end. The 90002's are the thing they're blaming users for.

Nah, the 2002 mid-queue were always attributed to a connection interruption (90002 came up later and was also said to have the same cause). Errors 3001 and 4004 were always said to be on their end.

That said, it's not like they were lying to us, either. They weren't hiding it, they didn't have anything showing them it was coming from something else.

We can always think things are obvious from our perspective, but it's entirely possible that from their end whatever was causing the 2002 bug they found looked like interrupted connections.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If anyone has ever been afraid of tanking, now is the time to start tanking. EW tanks are the tankiest tanks to ever tank.

Seriously, WAR and PAL especially, but GNB and DRK still are bringing the beef. It is disgusting how good your healing and mit are. DPS may have gotten a new class (or 2 depending on you look at it) and healer got 1...but tanks just got beefed.

Also, these are the best tank queues, you are instaqueuing every dungeon and trial...and even alliance roulette isn't bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Madmarker posted:

Seriously, WAR and PAL especially, but GNB and DRK still are bringing the beef. It is disgusting how good your healing and mit are. DPS may have gotten a new class (or 2 depending on you look at it) and healer got 1...but tanks just got beefed.

Also, these are the best tank queues, you are instaqueuing every dungeon and trial...and even alliance roulette isn't bad.

That said, don't expect to be able to beef through every dungeon with no issue, because right now we're getting an awful lot of healers who don't do much healing, especially around Shadow ringers dungeons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Someone made this joke earlier in this thread, but looks like someone's made a it into a comic (meme?):
(Spoilers for 86-87 MSQ - Zone 5)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Thumbtacks posted:

Am I crazy or is summoner getting demi Phoenix just straight up a nerf? Same potencies on everything but now every other demi you get a heal instead of a deathflare. Cool that a trait gives you a nerf

That's an incredibly stupid way of looking at something but go off I guess. But yes technically as you level up you get to summon Bahamut less so you get fewer death flares so you lose like, 4 potency per second to get some utility.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Very glad I decided not to camp the open Chi windows on Exodus. I would be furious if I spent all night waiting just to get d/c'd haha.

On Adamantoise, Chi spawned while the servers were having issues last night. I can only imagine how furious people would be if they waited all day and missed out during the couple hours they were disconnected.

Thankfully I didn't get kicked and happened to be there even though I wasn't waiting there very long. No fancy mount for me yet, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

has anybody ever been able to claim “our game was so popular we had to stop selling it”

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the funniest part of this massive goonrush of people trying to play the game is that this means ffxiv has done a complete 180 from its 1.0 roots, from the game too poo poo to charge for to the game too popular to log in

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Was there a reason they stopped doing hints for the sightseeing log? Or are there hints somewhere outside of the log that I'm missing?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

homeless snail posted:

You can sync your settings but, you're going to need to make totally new bars anyway because controllers don't use hotbars, they use crossbars.
Oh yeah I understand that much (I used to semi-afk fish while leveling so using skills is literally the extent of my controller knowledge) but being able to get about 90% of the way with the sizing and positioning of UI elements would save a lot of time still.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

has anybody ever been able to claim “our game was so popular we had to stop selling it”

FF14. They ran out of online keys for the game a few months ago. :v:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

made this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Hogama posted:

The funniest thing is when there was a bug where Grassman wouldn't stop pounding, and still kept scaling up damage.

This was a bug? I thought it was just a hilarious enrage mechanic