Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

update on disney+:
there's a "show" called star wars galaxy of sounds

"Experience the nostalgic sounds of Star Wars from across the franchise."

one episode is only beeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I didn't watch (or listen)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Can we get to 1000 on Christmas Day? I believe in you - Yes! You!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The World Inferno posted:

Gotta let you know that believing I will accomplish anything is a serious mistake

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
had to open up a new yellow style mustard for my cheese sandwich midnight snack. i opened it up and put the top back on and just let her rip and blasted that sandwich with mustard juice

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Aardvark! posted:

had to open up a new yellow style mustard for my cheese sandwich midnight snack. i opened it up and put the top back on and just let her rip and blasted that sandwich with mustard juice

My condolences.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

blasted with mustard juice

My nickname in college

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Meme Poker Party posted:

RIP Monkey the Bagman. He was a starting bro. The Desert Tugger lost fingat on his first battle, but he's alive. ilovebeersomuch lose his nose. A setback but not a complete disaster.

Other changes:
- Skim Milk dismissed after only two battles for being excessively wounded. Not deemed worth cost of rehabilitation when compared to lackluster stats. We live in a society.
- Recruited hot cocoa big choco and trained him wrong, as a joke. (Accidentally gave him both shield mastery and polearm mastery. He does not have three hands).
- Recruited Crouching Bag Hidden Noon, a big burly raider guy.

:lmao:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Computer viking posted:

We bought two new graphics cards in February. Two radeon 6700 xt cards: slightly worse value than nvidia, but the linux drivers are miles ahead. They were about $750 and $800, which was stupid in itself - but they're up to $1100 now, which is beyond ridiculous for a midrange card. (± exchange rates, and I'm including our 25% VAT).

We kind of needed new cards, too - one was an 8800 gt with memory problems, and the other was an rx 480 with a wonky fan.

Ugh, this is super frustrating - the launch price point expected to be $600 US for 6800 but now, and if you can find them, they are over $1000.

Is this the breaking point for ilovebeersooomuch? Is this when he finally becomes JOKERFIED?!
no

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Aardvark! posted:

Do you think adding a small amount of starch (potato or corn) added as an ingredient would prevent the formation of mustard water?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

The World Inferno posted:

If I'm honest, probably not. But with your help, maybe we can!

Thank you for your posting

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm out cycling. Posting from tha park

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Aardvark! posted:

i opened it up and put the top back on and just let her rip and blasted that sandwich with mustard juice

Congratulations to Aardvark! for writing the most disgusting sentence in the history of the English language!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

Here they come, Brothers! Prepare yourselves!

Stand strong! The Sons of Miia fear no snek!

RAAAAAARGH!!!

We... stepped on snek...

RIP Monkey the Bagman. He was a starting bro. The Desert Tugger lost fingat on his first battle, but he's alive. ilovebeersomuch lose his nose. A setback but not a complete disaster.

Other changes:
- Skim Milk dismissed after only two battles for being excessively wounded. Not deemed worth cost of rehabilitation when compared to lackluster stats. We live in a society.
- Recruited hot cocoa big choco and trained him wrong, as a joke. (Accidentally gave him both shield mastery and polearm mastery. He does not have three hands).

lmao @ this whole post

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm now at tha Wawa getting me a Gatorade anyone want anything from Wawa?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Is Wawa the one with the good sangwiches? I’ll take an Italian please, tell em not to skimp on the provolone.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

how is the grocery store sushi there?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Meme Poker Party posted:

Here they come, Brothers! Prepare yourselves!

Stand strong! The Sons of Miia fear no snek!

RAAAAAARGH!!!

We... stepped on snek...

Other changes:

:rip:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

That was a lot of snek

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

how is the grocery store sushi there?

They ain't got none

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Is Wawa the one with the good sangwiches? I’ll take an Italian please, tell em not to skimp on the provolone.

Yea I gotchu, Imma secret that into the extra long pockets in my cycling pants.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We had a work holiday party at an axe throwing place last night, the axe master guy didn't notice that me and my coworker's names didn't come up for like 30 minutes, so we just kinda waited til someone realized. Then I went and got drinks with Lady bagmo at a holiday themed cocktail bar downtown, after which we went home, got food and a nightcap beer. Pretty neat Wednesday and I don't feel fully like death!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Probably a good thing you don't feel like death after throwing axes

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sid Vicious posted:

this is just nonese to me

First off, I should stop posting before I wake up in the morning - the old cards were a geforce 1060 (the 8800 is long, long since retired) and a radeon 480.

The model numbers for AMD and nVidia sort of make sense, and sort of follow similar rules:
Historically, both used 3-digit numbers, on an XY0 format. X is the generation, Y is the model. Which means the 990 is the best card in the 9th generation, and the 910 the cheapest trash they could find.
Not all the model numbers are used. The ones you buy for gaming are typically the 6/7/8, while 9 is "I have very unusual needs or want to show off my money" expensive, and the lower numbers are for walmart specials and office PCs. Sometimes, the cheap models are repurposed chips from the previous generation, so a 950 may be a renamed 860.

Eventually, nvidia released their 900 series - and then just moved on to generation 10, so the 980 was followed by the 1080 ... and then the 2080, not the 1180. :shrug:
AMD had already "wrapped around" - they went from 9000 to 100 a few years earlier. However, for marketing reasons they wanted to have as many digits as nVidia, so they glued on a zero and the 480 was followed by the 5800.

Right now, nVidia are in the 3000 series, so the 3060 is the supposedly cheap card, and the 3090 is the top of the line. AMD are at 6000, so the 6600 is "cheap" and the 6800 competes with the nvidia 3080. (AMD doesn't make a 6900 ... yet).

All of this ignores the weird limited edition cards, like the Titan and the Radeon VII and all that. They're basically "WRX Turbo GTi" versions - a bit faster, way more expensive, and sometimes they are based on server chips instead of normal consumer parts. There's also sub-variants, like the 6700 and 6700XT, or the 3060/3060 Ti. Those are like trim levels in cars: The XT is a bit more expensive and a bit faster. (They probably should have made use of the spare digits and called it the 6750 and 3065).

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 16, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

this is just nonese to me

That's because ur a noob

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Computer viking posted:

First off, I should stop posting before I wake up in the morning - the old cards were a geforce 1060 (the 8800 is long, long since retired) and a radeon 480.

The model numbers for AMD and nVidia sort of make sense, and sort of follow similar rules:
Historically, both used 3-digit numbers, on an XY0 format. X is the generation, Y is the model. Which means the 990 is the best card in the 9th generation, and the 910 the cheapest trash they could find.
Not all the model numbers are used. The ones you buy for gaming are typically the 6/7/8, while 9 is "I have very unusual needs or want to show off my money" expensive, and the lower numbers are for walmart specials and office PCs. Sometimes, the cheap models are repurposed chips from the previous generation, so a 950 may be a renamed 860.

Eventually, nvidia released their 900 series - and then just moved on to generation 10, so the 980 was followed by the 1080 ... and then the 2080, not the 1180. :shrug:
AMD had already "wrapped around" - they went from 9000 to 100 a few years earlier. However, for marketing reasons they wanted to have as many digits as nVidia, so they glued on a zero and the 480 was followed by the 5800.

Right now, nVidia are in the 3000 series, so the 3060 is the supposedly cheap card, and the 3090 is the top of the line. AMD are at 6000, so the 6600 is "cheap" and the 6800 competes with the nvidia 3080. (AMD doesn't make a 6900 ... yet).

All of this ignores the weird limited edition cards, like the Ti models and the Titan and the Radeon VII and all that. They're basically "WRX Turbo GTi" versions - a bit faster, way more expensive. There's also sub-variants, like the 6700 and 6700XT - again, they're like trim levels in cars: The XT is a bit more expensive and a bit faster. (They probably should have made use of the spare digits and called it the 6750).

Starting at the 390 and ending at the 790, the 90 desgination was reserved for cards that were basically just two of the 80 model stuck together into a single card - they technically ran SLI and were always extremely unreliable because some games worked fine with them, and others would just not want to play nice and you'd barely get any better performance than just having a 780 TI versus a 790. After that generation, any 90 card was just NVIDIA's flagship and basically replaced the 80 models in that regard.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
This is my video card

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

This is my video card

That's actually called a shiteo card

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Probably a good thing you don't feel like death after throwing axes

Would have been good to use some of that axe skill against snek but fun night on town is a close second place

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Yea I gotchu, Imma secret that into the extra long pockets in my cycling pants.

lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I need to rebuild my PC some time in the near future

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

I need to rebuild my PC some time in the near future

not unless you have piles of cash you don't

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

not unless you have piles of cash you don't

My CPU is currently my bottleneck, so it's not THAT bad. I'm probably going to do it in the spring and just keep my 1080 until I can find something better for a reasonable price (lol)

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

until I can find something better for a reasonable price (lol)

lmao I'm stuck with this 1080 forever aren't I

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

lmao I'm stuck with this 1080 forever aren't I

you and me both :(:hf::(

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bagmonkey posted:

My CPU is currently my bottleneck, so it's not THAT bad. I'm probably going to do it in the spring and just keep my 1080 until I can find something better for a reasonable price (lol)

Lol what kinda CPU u got, if it's really that old and it's Intel you might have to do a whole new mobo, which means new RAM too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, my CPU is an i7 4770k that is sorely overdue, so just replacing that with something more recent will net me Major Gains. I'm mostly doing it to play Battlefield (not the new one til they fix it)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bagmonkey posted:

Yeah, my CPU is an i7 4770k that is sorely overdue, so just replacing that with something more recent will net me Major Gains. I'm mostly doing it to play Battlefield (not the new one til they fix it)

Yup, you have to get a new mobo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Yup, you have to get a new mobo

Yup, I'm actually excited because I've heard there is this thing called an "EM DOT TWO" hard drive that's really small and fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

But tbh, a 4770k is a beefer for its age and won't bottleneck a 1080 unless you're playing something badly CPU optimized like Cyverpunk 2077 which you shouldn't play anyway because it's bad.

Now if you were like me briefly when I had to return a faulty mobo and was stuck with the 4770k and 3080 together for a bit, thats gonna bottleneck nasty