Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Why is anyone throwing money at molyneux at this point? The last actual, complete game he designed was over a decade ago at this point, everything since has been junk like "what's in the cube" and Godus. Remember that RPS interview he did when it was clear Godus was hosed? It was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fil5000 posted:

Why is anyone throwing money at molyneux at this point?

I mean if this is right...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if i'm reading this right, having an NFT makes you a landlord and all the other players will have to rent keys from a landlord in order to play the game and you get a % of their crypto earnings.

...then the in-game appeal is the same sale as SC. Gotta get in on the ground floor so you're winning and everyone else will envy you and will stop telling you to get out of your mom's basement. If you spend thousands now then some day you'll have the glory of being... a slumlord?

Beyond that, people are stupid and NFTs are hip. There's absolutely no difference between an in-game NFT asset linked to your account that the company running the thing can add/remove at will and a normal paid microtransaction for that same asset. It's just got that digital cool sheen.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is this a Crobear on vitamins?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I thought the deal with NFTs was pretty much the same as with other ridiculously-priced items (art, counterstrike weapon skins, cryptocurrency, Star Citizen ships etc). You make a bunch of "dirty" money selling drugs and people trafficking, and you use it to buy an item at a ridiculous price from yourself. Now you no longer have money from drugs and people smuggling, you have money from selling NFTs.

The actual item that's supposedly changing hands isn't really involved at all - all that matters is that it's quick and easy to do the transaction and it's hard to trace.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Fil5000 posted:

Why is anyone throwing money at molyneux at this point? The last actual, complete game he designed was over a decade ago at this point, everything since has been junk like "what's in the cube" and Godus. Remember that RPS interview he did when it was clear Godus was hosed? It was hilarious.
I wouldn't be surprised if those sales are fabricated to lure suckers as someone mentioned earlier.

But then there is :crobear: whose last finished game was 2 decades ago and some people spent last decade throwing money at his vaporware, so...

↑ or money laundering, yeah

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 16, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dwesa posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if those sales are fabricated to lure suckers as someone mentioned earlier.

But then there is :crobear: whose last finished game was 2 decades ago and some people spent last decade throwing money at his vaporware, so...

↑ or money laundering, yeah

Oh, I guess when the kickstarter for SC went live, :crobear: was only a decade out from Freelancer, so it's consistent with Molyneaux at least.

Also I just read the RPS interview again and I'd forgotten the OPENING QUESTION is "Do you think that you're a pathological liar?" and it's all downhill from there.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gentlemen, you must stop discussing scam game projects driven by heavy digital ownership pushing — this is the Star Citizen room

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Gentlemen, you can't funge in here!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Set Phasers to Funge!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

You know what, fine. Take money from morons. I don't even care anymore.

quote:

"Crucially, as a business association owner, you will have access to Legacy Keys. These items can be lent to other people who want to start an in-game business in Legacy, making them your in-game Business Partners. As part of your association, they will share a portion of their earned LegacyCoin with you."

He's combined NFTs and crypto with multi-level marketing. All I can do is tip my hat to him, what a genius.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's like those vintage games that was sold for ridiculous prices earlier this year, if you own 6 copies of mario bros 3, and you give your buddy a cool million and then tell him to buy one from you. The remaining 5 just increased a lot in value.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

All of that makes sense in context now.

I can't remember seeing showing up in this thread, which is odd given the connection and how it must be mocked relentlessly, but all of Kickstarter will be on the blockchain now, using NFT-likes to track participation stakes because

It's… not going over well, but it certainly normalises the silliness we're seeing from the usual scam artists. :D

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Is the blockchain just the new "cloud"? I mean, except more stupid

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

commando in tophat posted:

It's like that, only imagine if instead of the cloud just being other people's computers, it also used as much energy as Finland.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I've dipped a toe in the cesspit that is Spectrum and you're not wrong but as we know, Citizens are nothing if not resilient and as with all things CIG-related, they'll soon calm down and start spending pledging again once the next great ship appears on the shopping list to punch above its weight.

Indeed, and I'm pinning all my hopes on a Star Citizen NFT coming in the New Year (once someone explains in baby talk to Chris what they are).

CR: (slurping $5000 espresso) So, uh, this NFT thing I saw on CNN last night...?

CiG exec: You make vague promises, people give us money, we give them smoke and mirrors. then we give them a crypto key that points to the smoke and mirrors.

CR: How is that different from what we're already doing?

CiG: It... uh... it isn't.

CR: PAAAAAAAARP!!

Nerds: :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends:

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 19, 2021

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Fidelitious posted:

You know what, fine. Take money from morons. I don't even care anymore.

He's combined NFTs and crypto with multi-level marketing. All I can do is tip my hat to him, what a genius.

Molyneaux is a legit genius when it comes to saying the right things to get people to open their wallets. I would compare him to Chris Roberts, but Moltneaux delivers a finished product, so he’s more like Sean Murray, where he delivers a finished product but it’s massively different from the one he hyped for months.

I’m totally speaking too kindly of him, because he really does outright lie about his games. I don’t think you ever could grow an acorn into an oak in fable (But Star Citizen’s persistence can fix this!) and I’m 99% sure that cube game thing was a huge scam and didn’t even pay out like it was promised.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sammus posted:

Molyneaux is a legit genius when it comes to saying the right things to get people to open their wallets. I would compare him to Chris Roberts, but Moltneaux delivers a finished product, so he’s more like Sean Murray, where he delivers a finished product but it’s massively different from the one he hyped for months.

I’m totally speaking too kindly of him, because he really does outright lie about his games. I don’t think you ever could grow an acorn into an oak in fable (But Star Citizen’s persistence can fix this!) and I’m 99% sure that cube game thing was a huge scam and didn’t even pay out like it was promised.

It did, but the prize was a share of the revenue from Godus and it made no money because they never finished it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GlitteringDamagedLark-mobile.mp4

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Sammus posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

Who gives a poo poo about games?

Molyneux has proven multiple times to be an excellent grifter and this time he's offering you to be a part of the grift. (which is a double-layer grift by itself)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

Look, with the blockchain you can prove that some kickstarter actually promised something. It cannot actually prevent them from going back on their promises or just running with the money but the tech will show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they have been naughty!

The scammers are shaking in their boots!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

trucutru posted:

Look, with the blockchain you can prove that some kickstarter actually promised something. It cannot actually prevent them from going back on their promises or just running with the money but the tech will show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they have been naughty!

I thought the entire point of Kickstarter is that it promises nothing?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
And none of that poo poo matters anyway because they’ll just mental gymnastics their way out of the idea that anyone is owed anything and what is truth anyway.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dr. Honked posted:

I thought the entire point of Kickstarter is that it promises nothing?

But now you'll have a digital certificate with a link to nothing!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Torquemada posted:

And none of that poo poo matters anyway because they’ll just mental gymnastics their way out of the idea that anyone is owed anything and what is truth anyway.

Back the project? Oh ho ho ho. Of course you didn't "back" the "project". You bought a funge. It says so right here, on the... kickchain

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

trucutru posted:

Wow, it's almost like web.archive.org, but with rainforest burning.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of scams, Star Atlas is apparently launching it's first iteration of the "game" today. I can't really find any info on it other than it's called SCORE and appears to be a web based thing where you buy stuff to keep your ship stocked. Why you need to keep your ship stocked I have no idea but obviously this is just t0 of the future of gaming.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/PsychoSupaman/status/1471227560369524744
https://twitter.com/SolCitizens/status/1471324139818524673
https://twitter.com/DarisanHurston/status/1471326008150147074

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

We're eager for you to have new content to play during the holiday break. So we are releasing new content after the holiday break

I don't know what I hate so much about this tweet, all I know is I do hate it. A lot.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

"Is it wrong to think about Chris Roberts my whole wedding night?"

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Torquemada posted:

They can always absolve themselves with two simple words: "We tried."

...and as long as nobody has e-mails, memos, or recordings of any of them saying "We can't do any of this, it's all hosed, but for god's sake don't tell anyone that outside this room or people will stop giving us money," they're in the clear.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Star citizen raised $400 million in 10 years. GTA 5 made $900 million in 1 year posted:

I know they’re not a good comparison gamewise. And I understand GTA is a finished game from a billion dollar corporation.

https://www.news18.com/amp/news/tech/gta-5-still-making-rockstar-games-2-5-million-a-day-still-wondering-wheres-gta-6-4085462.html

I find it funny that people lose their minds SC has made 400 million while GTA made over double that in 2020 alone. ~~They both released the same year. ~~ Star Citizen wasn’t playable until 2 years after GTA5. Yet Rockstar hasn’t significantly improved that game, Red Dead 2 at all, and had a terrible trilogy release (though they did get flak for that). Where’s the libelous headlines of where that money went? Haters gonna hate. Ainters gonna ain’t.

Personally, as long as I see regular improvement to The Verse, I’m fine supporting and suffering through bugs. I’m actually happy to see CIG take their time and not be bullied by massive donations or player base.

I hope CIG gives us all stock equal to our donations if this thing ever releases & they go public. (I know it’s not gonna happen)They literally could not have succeeded without us and we wouldn’t have an awesome game without them.

quote:

The biggest disconnect with this is so simple it hurts:

In 10 years, CIG grew from about a dozen people to the large studio it is today. This did not happen overnight, it largely happened linearly.

They've split all that pledge money across a decade on building two games AND building an entire company from scratch: real estate, insurance, hardware, data center, shared services (HR, accounts payable, and all the systems that go with that), etc. etc.

It feels like a lot of money, and out of context, it is a lot of money. But when you consider that "comparable" budgets for other games start with a seasoned company who've already paid for all of that and start development day 1 with 500+ people - well that perspective really tells the story.

$400MM is both a huge amount and a "pretty good start", depending on the angle from which you consider it.

Another perspective: I've worked for medium (less than 5000 employee) sized companies who's IT budget alone (this is just the infrastructure team that keeps servers and computers and phones running - NOT the developers or other business units which are magnitudes higher in operating costs) topped $50 million annually. This was a team of maybe 150 people, all the licensing and support costs for infrastructure, computers that get replaced ~4 years for life cycling, etc. etc.

It sounds like a lot of money...

quote:

It is impressive beyond all account how much CIG is accomplishing on what is relatively a shoestring budget considering the short amount of time they've been of a size to be comparable to the top of the heap of AAA development from seasoned development studios, when taken into intellectually honest context.

It's also impressive the levels some will go to discount that building from nothing (no AAA title in modern memory has "come from nothing" like this) and achieving what they've done in a relatively short time, as anything other than astounding. Be careful of your confirmation bias: do you need to believe the project is so bad off that you'll ignore the ACTUAL facts?

It doesn't matter, as they are successful and are doing well regardless of who does or doesn't believe it. Facts are facts.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fellas, is it gay to have sex with a fictional starship?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mirificus posted:

I find it funny that people lose their minds SC has made 400 million while GTA made over double that in 2020 alone. ~~They both released the same year. ~~ Star Citizen wasn’t playable until 2 years after GTA5. Yet Rockstar hasn’t significantly improved that game, Red Dead 2 at all, and had a terrible trilogy release (though they did get flak for that). Where’s the libelous headlines of where that money went? Haters gonna hate. Ainters gonna ain’t.

Personally, as long as I see regular improvement to The Verse, I’m fine supporting and suffering through bugs. I’m actually happy to see CIG take their time and not be bullied by massive donations or player base.

I hope CIG gives us all stock equal to our donations if this thing ever releases & they go public. (I know it’s not gonna happen)They literally could not have succeeded without us and we wouldn’t have an awesome game without them.

*can't identify the difference between a company making money selling a complete game they made that people want to play vs. selling in-game items, some of which don't exist, for hundreds and hundreds of dollars*

quote:

It's also impressive the levels some will go to discount that building from nothing (no AAA title in modern memory has "come from nothing" like this) and achieving what they've done in a relatively short time, as anything other than astounding. Be careful of your confirmation bias: do you need to believe the project is so bad off that you'll ignore the ACTUAL facts?

Okay. What exactly have they achieved, and how much of a 'relatively short time' did it take them?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Been doing nothing but thinking about star game this whole time.

I love Star game with the people in it that stand on the tables and symbolize the T for friendship.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

T also stands for Titanic, maybe they're trying to send you a message

The message being, of course, buy an Idris

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Play posted:

fellas, is it gay to have sex with a fictional starship?

No kink shaming here, friend.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Play posted:

I don't know what I hate so much about this tweet, all I know is I do hate it. A lot.

Maybe it’s that they took a beautiful thing you once loved and made it dirty?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

I’m actually happy to see CIG take their time and not be bullied by massive donations

That's the worst kind of bullying! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ClownBobo posted:

Maybe it’s that they took a beautiful thing you once loved and made it dirty?

Oh, they're way too late for that.