Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't call it *easy*, but IIRC 3 years of service in the French Foreign Legion, or being invalided out due to enemy action within that 3 years, is sufficient for French citizenship.

That's a pretty good time frame for gaining citizenship, but it's one of those where the other requirements seem pretty high. In a similar vein (though not in the EU), if you simply become a Catholic Cardinal and move to the Holy See you can get Vatican citizenship immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't call it *easy*, but IIRC 3 years of service in the French Foreign Legion, or being invalided out due to enemy action within that 3 years, is sufficient for French citizenship.

I think you get it after 3 years but have to sign up for a 5 year contract. Russia does the same these days.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Necrothatcher posted:

drat I know like 10-15 people that have tested positive today. poo poo's bonkers.

Barry you were right!

keep punching joe posted:

Of course Barry was right, gov has spent 2 years now absolutely half arsing their pandemic response. It's going to get real grim in a week or two. Stay safe peeps.

Thank you. Sincerely. I have to admit I felt pretty hurt/ashamed when all that went down last week, but I genuinely appreciate it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I will tell tens of thousands of people on twitter this but not some bouncer.

https://twitter.com/BellaWallerstei/status/1470839368956923905

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Paneer is generally pretty flavourless, goes good in curries and spinach though

Yeah. Cheese acquires flavour by ageing, mostly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Paneer is effectively processed cheese because you're doing it all pretty quickly using acids and pressure, like the White Leicester cheese made during the war or American government cheese, rather than fermenting and aging.

Do not tell India that I said this. (Processed doesn't mean bad though.)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

The lack/subtle flavour i can work with, need to hit YT for methods to get a more solid result but overall i'm happy with my first batch. :)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jippa posted:

I will tell tens of thousands of people on twitter this but not some bouncer.

https://twitter.com/BellaWallerstei/status/1470839368956923905

That's good, though. Get vaxxed and stay home! :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:toot:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1471477325204238338

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Noxville posted:

Haha someone at work has tested positive today, the day of the Christmas party, where we were intending to cram 40+ people into a tiny restaurant. Not going to trust everyone else’s lateral flows enough to risk that, thanks

Ah well other positive tests and many people cancelling has led them to cancel the whole thing with only hours to go. Happy that I don’t have to be the killjoy

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lmao no let up yet in operation get Boris.

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1471510585921523713

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

feedmegin posted:

I wanted to make Feta so I watched a great video where a very sweaty hairy greek man was elbow deep in a tub of milk while squatting on the floor in joggers and going malakamalakamalaka but then he had to wait several weeks and I'll just go to the shop instead

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
88 thousand cases today.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

:godwinning:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mistercw/status/1471027942012694528

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

forkboy84 posted:

God it ruled when I was a kid & I'd go to the bank with my bank book & they'd fill it in & despite having done nothing I HAD MORE MONEY. It was magical.
I had a bog-standard Post Office savings account a while back (late 90s? Early 2000s?) that for a while had an insane interest rate, at least 7%. Theresa May was wrong: there was a magic money tree. The Tories banged copper nails into it and ringed the bark so their mates could chop it down and build flats.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

Thank you. Sincerely. I have to admit I felt pretty hurt/ashamed when all that went down last week, but I genuinely appreciate it

Title of this song adequately sums up my feelings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZ-of7iH7A

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

big scary monsters posted:

A while back I wondered how many citizenships you could pick up if you dedicated yourself to it, but assuming no convenient grandparents or marriages letting you get on a fast track to naturalisation. As far as I recall, Poland is the EU state with the easiest standard route for naturalisation, requiring only three years permanent residence. Downside is you also have to speak Polish.

Other possibilities: if you have a couple €100k spare you can buy a Maltese passport through their citizenship by investment scheme, you could take a Master's degree in France to be eligible for naturalisation after only two years, or in several countries if you provide some exceptional service to the state the monarch/president can grant you citizenship on the spot.

I once met a guy with 4 (British, US, Israeli, Swiss), but it's much easier to get certain european citizenships if you're Jewish... Anyway most countries restrict the amount of other nationalities you can have, but frankly unless you tell them I don't know how they'd ever find out you have other ones.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just had a 20 person booking cancel, they all work in the university library and surrounding office. Reason given was ''the majority of them have tested positive for covid this morning"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Skull Servant posted:

I'm still learning about UK geographical politics, but I think it makes more ideological sense for a rural Tory stronghold to flip to Lib Dem, even if they placed third previously.

If a Tory constituency flips Lib Dem, they still voted Tory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

88 thousand cases today.

Seems quite bad

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Not doubling in two days bad though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just lol, but not quite lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Always look for the positives.

Unless it's test results.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Once you're at - or near - testing capacity, reported figures are going to considerably underrun real figures. We know from the NHS site running out of LFTs and the PCR booking system having no slots we're basically at that stage already.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Our about-to-be-born daughter will have British and two EU citizenships eventually but I fully expect to spend most of 2022 sorting all the paperwork

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Omicron is still at relatively low levels outside London, though probably not for much longer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just Another Lurker posted:

Food: the paneer turned out very crumbly and almost without flavour (slight hint of cottage cheese) so i need to work on my technique for a more solid product but happy to make something edible.

Tastes nice in a bun with salt & black pepper. :-)

Literally just consumed and already going back to contemplating your (cheese) orb.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oh dear me posted:

Omicron is still at relatively low levels outside London, though probably not for much longer.

I'm sure there are no upcoming events that will distribute large numbers of people based in london out to the rest of the country.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Once you're at - or near - testing capacity, reported figures are going to considerably underrun real figures. We know from the NHS site running out of LFTs and the PCR booking system having no slots we're basically at that stage already.

They were both IT glitches rather than actually hitting capacity though (although it is getting a bit trickier to just pick up LFTs for free).

Having said that I think absolute max capacity is around 1.1M tests/day and at current rates we're probably going to be hitting that before too long.

In brighter news we're almost certainly going to break the one-day vaccination record tomorrow and with a number of big sites (re)opening next week we could actually hit 1M/day assuming both vaccine supply and patient demand holds up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Cousin who has 9 kids are all infected at the moment.
Its so bad in their town they are thinking of closing the schools tomorrow for christmas

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I wonder of cases are actually higher than they were at the start of the year, or if the cases were undersold last year because that was when they had the spreadsheet the wrong way round.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In brighter news we're almost certainly going to break the one-day vaccination record tomorrow

Proud to be doing my bit there. :patriot:

E: getting jabbed, I'm not doing any of the actual work.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I wonder of cases are actually higher than they were at the start of the year, or if the cases were undersold last year because that was when they had the spreadsheet the wrong way round.

I think 88 thousand cases per day doesn't change that much. Unless you get double infinity?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Cases are almost definitely higher than last year - lots of people removed the track and trace app because of that "pingdemic" bullshit and milder symptoms thanks to vaccination probably means a lot less people are voluntarily testing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Our about-to-be-born daughter will have British and two EU citizenships eventually but I fully expect to spend most of 2022 sorting all the paperwork

If by "sorting all the paperwork" you mean "changing nappies" then yeah

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

If a Tory constituency flips Lib Dem, they still voted Tory.

This is also true if they flip Labour though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wanted to make Feta so I watched a great video where a very sweaty hairy greek man was elbow deep in a tub of milk while squatting on the floor in joggers and going malakamalakamalaka but then he had to wait several weeks and I'll just go to the shop instead

I tried that and ended up with blue cheese.

Edit: making feta, not the squatting and saying greek things bit

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 16, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cases are almost definitely higher than last year - lots of people removed the track and trace app because of that "pingdemic" bullshit and milder symptoms thanks to vaccination probably means a lot less people are voluntarily testing.
I only got round to installing it when we went back to face to face teaching this semester. Didn't get pinged once, & like gently caress did not a single one of those literal hundreds of students not have a positive test

Never mind the app tbh, we have digital records of exactly who was in what room at what time, any kind of functioning track & trace system should have wait I see the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also jfc yet another UKMT new parent, fair play we've been keeping busy through lockdown

Congrats :)