Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So now that Sir Lewis has been knighted by some guy who isn’t the queen, Crapfty and Bungle will literally have to call him Sir Lewis every time or they’ll get the rack in the Tower of London, right?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Or Lewis is given the right to kill them to protect his honour. I forget which it is.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lmao they gave up

They gave up the appeal. They can still influence the FIA, also it has no bearing on what the Merc board decides. And we don't know what promises they got out of the FIA, because they surely got something.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 16, 2021

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sulman posted:

They gave up the appeal. They can still influence the FIA, also it has no bearing on what the Merc board decides.

Toto is apparently claiming that Sir Lewis might quit F1 altogether.

#stillicries

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lmao they gave up
The fan fiction has all aged extremely well

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Lol. Was wondering if the FIA's announcements of investigating the SC use and banning direct contact with the race director was enough to assuage Merc into dropping their appeal.

The petulance of Toto is so good.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

LochNessMonster posted:

Toto is apparently claiming that Sir Lewis might quit F1 altogether.

#stillicries

I can think of 40 million reasons he will be back.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Who would replace him if he didn't come back?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Clarence posted:

Who would replace him if he didn't come back?

That's always what I wondered if he won number 8 and was like 'OK that's it'.

Bottas is gone, who else is there not under contract. You have an actual rookie alongside Russell? Bring in De Vries? Go to Hulk? Drag Kimi back in? Give Grosjean more than just that promised test lol. You want someone who can be a steady hand right? Is there some way that if Rosberg doesn't have to drive against Hamilton he comes back? Fun to speculate about this for sure.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Red Warrior posted:

That's always what I wondered if he won number 8 and was like 'OK that's it'.

Bottas is gone, who else is there not under contract. You have an actual rookie alongside Russell? Bring in De Vries? Go to Hulk? Drag Kimi back in? Give Grosjean more than just that promised test lol. You want someone who can be a steady hand right? Is there some way that if Rosberg doesn't have to drive against Hamilton he comes back? Fun to speculate about this for sure.

Vettel, who then goes on to become a 9 time WDC

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Very disappointing for Mercedes to release a statement like that and to have a crybaby fit about an awards ceremony. They lose one drivers championship in like 8 hybrid era years and now they have Lost Faith In Racing since they couldn't run their engine at 80% because there is an actual competitive car from another team. And they still would have won if they didn't spend all year loving up strategy, including in the final race, but of course the nefarious FIA is the only one to blame.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Vettel, who then goes on to become a 9 time WDC

:flashfap:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Very disappointing for Mercedes to release a statement like that and to have a crybaby fit about an awards ceremony. They lose one drivers championship in like 8 hybrid era years and now they have Lost Faith In Racing since they couldn't run their engine at 80% because there is an actual competitive car from another team. And they still would have won if they didn't spend all year loving up strategy, including in the final race, but of course the nefarious FIA is the only one to blame.

Source your quotes so I can see what kind of person watches the safety car end like that and just goes "well if Mercedes didn't see that coming it's clearly their own fault" as if that's a sane opinion to have.

I've had two people at work ask me "hey so wtf happened in the F1 on Sunday?? Are they gonna fix the results?" And neither of them watch F1, though one is a nascar fan.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Not covering any of max’s pits after the first one was just dumb as hell lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Is Latifi going to be at the awards, and if not, will he be under surveillance?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

harperdc posted:

Good. I’m still frustrated by Masi’s call, but this legal action dragging on wouldn’t have been much more of a positive.

It seems likely they extracted better concessions out of them than they would have in an appeals court regardless. But who knows how that will play out in the long run.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's fine we can still post about how Mercedes are for sure getting $69.420 billion dollars behind the scenes and will be allowed to design every other team's car next year or something.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Big Jesus posted:

Not covering any of max’s pits after the first one was just dumb as hell lol
p much

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I'm gonna be pissed off about that bullshit race.

Not because I root for Max or Lewis, but just for how incompetently it was done... if you're gonna rig something, do it right.

Just upending the rules and going "eh whatever, lets do this" is so lazy it's just embarrassing

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

Source your quotes so I can see what kind of person watches the safety car end like that and just goes "well if Mercedes didn't see that coming it's clearly their own fault" as if that's a sane opinion to have.

I've had two people at work ask me "hey so wtf happened in the F1 on Sunday?? Are they gonna fix the results?" And neither of them watch F1, though one is a nascar fan.

Mercedes had the much faster car and could have pitted to cover several times. They should have done so because safety cars happen very often and their strategy seems to have been 'No wrecks or if there is one lets hope its on the last couple laps then scream at the race director to end under SC'.

Hopefully you can use this information to enlighten your new F1 fan coworkers about how risk reduction plays a large part in a winning motor race strategy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

pik_d posted:

The season wasn't one race. They have made atrocious strategy calls all year, their car had weird issues for basically 2/3rds of the season, and Bottas in the final race was either stuck behind Tsunoda or battling for position with him in what is theoretically supposed to be a much faster car, leading me to believe their engines lose a lot of performance near the end of their lifecycle.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
If Lewis retires put Albon in the other Merc and replace George with Gasly. Full RB revenge squad (and they're actually good drivers).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I would watch this movie.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Very disappointing for Mercedes to release a statement like that and to have a crybaby fit about an awards ceremony.

Mercedes looked at the telemetry and decided it was best to keep Lewis out (of the award ceremony.)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Bono my ties are gone

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Mercedes had the much faster car and could have pitted to cover several times. They should have done so because safety cars happen very often and their strategy seems to have been 'No wrecks or if there is one lets hope its on the last couple laps then scream at the race director to end under SC'.

Hopefully you can use this information to enlighten your new F1 fan coworkers about how risk reduction plays a large part in a winning motor race strategy.

Understand that if Mercedes had elected to pit they would have lost track position, faced Lewis having to pass the famously clean-racing Max, and if caught by that safety car would have been stuck behind Max like a bunch of loving plums? It was no-win.

There is no strategy model for what happened. It's unprecedented in the sport, just as "what if Piquet jr. intentionally crashed his car?" was known only to one team (the one that planned it).

There's no strategy for any of this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the strategy model is "you will be hosed by a late safety car", they just thought they got lucky because the safety car happened extremely late

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the strategy model is "you will be hosed by a late safety car", they just thought they got lucky because the safety car happened extremely late

In that strategy model the safety car doesn't gently caress off early though, and the race director doesn't clear the road for the person in 2nd, because nobody could foresee such a thing.

I'd like to look at tire changes under red flag and safety cars, because I think it's bollocks, but I have no idea what that would look like. In Indycar they have quite restrictive rules on pit opening but I'm not sure how that would translate to F1.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Sulman posted:

Understand that if Mercedes had elected to pit they would have lost track position, faced Lewis having to pass the famously clean-racing Max, and if caught by that safety car would have been stuck behind Max like a bunch of loving plums? It was no-win.

There is no strategy model for what happened. It's unprecedented in the sport, just as "what if Piquet jr. intentionally crashed his car?" was known only to one team (the one that planned it).

i guess?

if lewis had pitted, and masi behaved the exact way, you'd have hamilton behind max, both on fresh tires, and hamilton with a shot, same as the start of the race

no one would have cared then, no matter what happened

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hamilton on fresh softs with a car that is a half second faster probably has zero problems getting around Verstappen on old hards safely. People loved the Sergio battle but remember it lasted just a couple corners since the faster car with fresh tires and a competent driver will eventually get through. They aren't at Monaco.

If Max hits you on purpose then let the stewards deal with it instead of passively hoping to win. It's fully on Merc if Max mindgamed them into choosing to be ultra timid and passive over choosing the correct strategy.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

“Clearing the road for 2nd” is the part they should have done. It’s leaving the rest behind 2nd that was Masi’s little twist

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Sulman posted:

Do you think Lewis could have held off max if his tires weren’t 40 laps old and he had actually changed them during the previous safety car?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Not sure about this Knight Rider reboot.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pitting Lewis would have 100% been the wrong strategy. They for sure would have lost the championship if they pitted Lewis. They 100% did the right thing by losing the championship in the way that they did. The other way would have been the wrong way to lose. The lost him the championship with the correct decision. Good for Mercedes!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've moved on to next season already

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hamilton on fresh softs with a car that is a half second faster probably has zero problems getting around Verstappen on old hards safely. People loved the Sergio battle but remember it lasted just a couple corners since the faster car with fresh tires and a competent driver will eventually get through. They aren't at Monaco.

If Max hits you on purpose then let the stewards deal with it instead of passively hoping to win. It's fully on Merc if Max mindgamed them into choosing to be ultra timid and passive over choosing the correct strategy.

Lol Lewis is half a second faster but the last lap Safety Car release gives a 2-second head start whoopsiedoodle Max is still champion get hosed tire nerds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The people harping on tire strategy are so wrong that Pirelli stepped in and changed the tires for the 2022 season. Get with the program.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The people harping on tire strategy are so wrong that Pirelli stepped in and changed the tires for the 2022 season. Get with the program.

Pirelli changed the tires? The one thing that Mercedes couldn't manage to do during the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what ultimately cost lewis the championship