Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Humphreys posted:

I'm even bigger of a douchebag on the radio/phone asking for clarification on "oh' and 'zero' even if I know it's a phone number. Gone as far as printing little phonetic alphabet cheatsheets for the idiots at work that start using Wheel of Fortune phonetics for letters.
I have this one pinned at my work station and have sometimes even gone so far as using (some of) it....

Hey... at least it's better than the version I heard one ex employee use...

quote:

S for Sad
K for Kill
E for Everybody
:stare: "You uh... you feeling ok there Joseph...?"

Humphreys posted:

I am extremely interested in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5vIyeVLdA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I always hear Bill Hader as Stefon reading these in my head.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A380s are kind of brain breaking in that the scale just seems wrong when you see one on an apron. I remember seeing one at SFO with a 737 next to it and the angle looked like it was a baby plane under its momma’s wing :haw:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the best phonetic x is xylophone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

affect
bumble
czar
dnieper
effect
fender
genes
heir
isle
jeans
knead
leaven
mnemonic
negative
oenophile
phenolphthalein
quay
roger
sensor
tsar
unable
vendor
wring
xerxes
you
zzyzx

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

affect
bumble
czar
dnieper
effect
fender
genes
heir
isle
jeans
knead
leaven
mnemonic
negative
oenophile
phenolphthalein
quay
roger
sensor
tsar
unable
vendor
wring
xerxes
you
zzyzx

:five:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I'm heading to Zzyzx this weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ryanrs posted:

Malta really is beautiful!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

Malta really is beautiful!

Coming back from Europe after living in Sicily from 1991 to 1993, that Maltese stamp in our passports got extra-special attention from the TWA folks.

It is a highly underrated spot in Europe, though. And the language and script is this weird hybridization of English, Italian, and Arabic, as is the cuisine.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

God bless the English language

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

affect
bumble bulbous/bouffant/blubber/bamboozle/bus
czar
dnieper
effect eskimos
fender foible
genes gabardine/galoshes/gazebo
heir hullabaloo
isle igloo
jeans
knead
leaven
mnemonic mukluks/macadamia
negative
oenophile
phenolphthalein plethora/ploy
quay
roger
sensor spatula/shindig/shampoo
tsar tuberculosis/turquoise/tutu
unable utensil
vendor vestibule
wring
xerxes
you
zzyzx

the only acceptable phonetic alphabet is words appearing in versions of this skit

you don't need those other letters anyways

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the a380 is loving awesome and one of my favorite planes
no i dont care the cockpit is ugly everything else is pretty!!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
M for Mancy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

marumaru posted:

I've only flown in one a couple of times, but they are really comfy. Riding in the upper deck during a 40%-ish filled flight was super stable and comfortable.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
There existed a bunch of fun spelling alphabets before everything standardized around the NATO one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_alphabet

"Dog Company"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve always been a fan of 1917 Royal Navy. Absolute banger.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thank you.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

marumaru posted:

That's a strange typo for "340-300."

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Platystemon posted:

I’ve always been a fan of 1917 Royal Navy. Absolute banger.

Monkey nuts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You know what I want out of a new airliner seat? I want the rear end of the passenger in front of me right in my face:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Midjack posted:

You know what I want out of a new airliner seat? I want the rear end of the passenger in front of me right in my face:

Bonkers-rear end horrific seating arrangements are a common stock of Facebook recommend-type articles that churn up dismay and ridicule... but this one doesn't seem all that bad.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
It looks heavy, far too tall to fit inside an actual airplane, and would probably kill lots of people during emergency egress scenarios like smoke filled cabin

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It doesn't seem to significantly increase legroom either so this would only ever be used to cram even more people into a 737, except you probably couldn't without exceeding the MTOW, so...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Midjack posted:

Do you want a ton of leg room or lean-back room?

Give me the sleeping tubes from Fifth Element.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Give me the sleeping tubes from Fifth Element.

First class gets the sleeping gas that doesn't give you drain bamage. :downs:

Premium economy gets an Oxy and an airline bottle of Tito's.

Steerage gets clocked by the Air Marshal.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I'm assuming there's a reason no one's designed dedicated sleeping positions in long haul flights? I.e. your "seat" is just a bunk you lie down in and don't get out until your destination.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I'm assuming there's a reason no one's designed dedicated sleeping positions in long haul flights? I.e. your "seat" is just a bunk you lie down in and don't get out until your destination.

Because you can pack way more people into seats than bunks.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Z the IVth posted:

Miserable in a crash. And trying to work in bed for 16 hours is a crippling neck cramp. Incredibly claustrophobic in steerage seat pitch. Also, in a single-aisle airplane, everybody of even average height would have their feet sticking into the aisle. And, they didn't do it that way in the DC-3, so....

And, if want that experience, it is yours for the paying, only better. Lay flat seating is available in first class.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ryanrs posted:

When it comes time to leave, go up to the viewing deck of the airport and you can see your plane come in and the passengers disembark.

(And my passport stamp is really boring, but at least the years on them were 1954 and 1931.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sigh, one day I will fly first class. Or business. Or economy plus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/26/lie-flat-beds-in-economy-class-air-new-zealand-skynest-bunks-budget-travellers

Old-style long-haul prop aircraft used to have sleeping berths because they *had* to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you could totally put everyone in a berth like the fifth element sleeping pods. just stack them 4 high. no you cannot get up. just go to sleep

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Z the IVth posted:

lol look at this guy that’s never flown widebody lay flat business class everybody

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Warbird posted:

I was mistakenly booked into first class on a 777. It was hard to fully enjoy due to imposter syndrome, but it was nicer than a lot of New York City apartments I see pictures of. Good lord.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sagebrush posted:

you could totally put everyone in a berth like the fifth element sleeping pods. just stack them 4 high. no you cannot get up. just go to sleep

Sounds like a Dahir Insaat video waiting to happen, where the pods are ejected when flying over the passengers house to safely land in the front yard.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Warbird posted:

I had a bunch of points and I used them to book business for my trip to Paris. It was very nice. There was enough space that I could lay down fully when I had it laying flat. I'm not sure I'd pay cash for it though.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
I've been fortunate enough in life to fly First Class twice. First time was a free upgrade on an Etihad 777, which was not substantially different from Business other than being able to close the doors on your pod, so in my opinion would not have been worth paying extra for. More recently, I did a paid upgrade on an Emirates A380 and took a shower at 40,000 feet, which I would say was totally worth it as an almost certainly once in a lifetime experience, presuming you're only paying for an upgrade as opposed to the ludicrous full fare.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I was mistakenly booked into first class on a 777. It was hard to fully enjoy due to imposter syndrome, but it was nicer than a lot of New York City apartments I see pictures of. Good lord.

Did they also get you complementary first class service and snacks?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love flying, but if it's more than a few hours I will go business. If it's for work, I'll pay for an upgrade out of my own pocket.

I am an absolutely miserable person in a coach seat on something like a flight across an ocean. It is impossible for me to sleep, or even really rest, sitting up. I don't see myself every going to first though, if available/different. The lay flat is all I care about... and I guess lounge access is pretty nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

We have a friend that refuses to travel economy due to some reason or the other and she paid out of pocket for first class on a flight to China and back. Which is fine I guess but everyone should be required to make that hop in steerage once to build character. Also it’s not that bad?