Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whenever the release date I hope they continue the trend of backwards compatibility and just adding horsepower and lens improvements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whenever the release date I hope they continue the trend of backwards compatibility and just adding horsepower and lens improvements

That could well be an open question if Valve's thing ever materializes, considering they're supposedly building a standalone X86 HMD instead of Android. I'd expect Oculus' next immediate headset to probably Android-based considering it'd be a ways into development already (unless they've already pivoted away to something else of course), but beyond that it's less certain.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Years ago FB said they were going to make their own OS, but that may still be well in early days of development.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/facebook-operating-system/amp/

Maybe for Quest 4?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve gotten the impression the whatever the new headset is, that they’d start putting units out around Q2 next year with a potential ramp up for the holidays or even the following year depending on how the ongoing supply chain stuff pans out. That’s said I don’t think this is a Quest 3/Pro and seems to be a more AR focused SKU.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Update is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WO7_m0DQ0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TS4wrKVtf0

2 new adventures in 2022
pvp mode
Social lobby
non-Vr version in April 2022

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 16, 2021

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

$2.99 for the new Walkabout couse Shangri-la

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXA6zUeSQxo

I really love it, its super chill

edit: I had no issues getting the new course through the game, but im on a Quest2

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 16, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess there was a small glitch with the DLC on steam, you all probably downloaded the update but it looks like you can't unlock it yet, they say it'll be available at some point today. Avatars are up and running on the non-beta branch though!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think I am definitely old now. I remember hooking my dad up with Super Black Bass for the SNES way back when and laughing at how entranced he was with it. The guy thought it was a modern miracle - fishing right in the den!

Well now I'm fully happy sitting for twenty minutes with this headset on just looking around at the lobby environments. I can't stop thinking about beat saber while I'm at work. I have become my dad, completely blown away by what I assume is a very mundane technology to someone much younger than me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demeo is really good now with the new update, some first impressions:

The new scenario has more drastic new gameplay elements, unlike Dungeon 2 darkness, like water puddles (protect against fire damage, but extra damage against freeze and it seems it can cause chain reaction for electrical damage, at least it happens with the stun spell), new enemies (there is a river serpent who can summon big water waves which pushes allies and enemies 3 or 4 tiles, changing the positioning of everyone, and creating new puddles in the process, also can teleport to other water puddles, there is a shaman who can use the water to summon new root doggies), and the bard is cool:
-He is melee fighter/support, 3 dmg on attack
-He has a reusable song (like mage stun or hunter arrows) called Bravery I which give -1 dmg recieved for 4 turns to an ally. Casting it again in someone seems to modify it to Bravery II which adds +1 dmg done.
-He has some spells, like a silence aoe, a tornado summon (which can damage your allies, careful), a sustained aoe healing, and a damage/confusion aoe spell.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Everyone whos used it (that i know anyways) and understands it a prosumer expensive rear end headset loves it.

See if theres a vendor near you and schedule a demo. They do that, assuming you're like ok using a headset in covid times.

There's only like 11 places in the US and none of them near me, so I don't think that'll be an option. I'd have to imagine at that price tag and still needing to buy base stations and controllers that I better have absolutely no complaints though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

Demeo is really good now with the new update, some first impressions

That sounds awesome, my friend and I bought demeo before the save update and we liked it but flamed out pretty quickly because we never had 2 hours for a session. Might have to give it another look soon.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What're some good seated VR showcase things that complete non-gamer parents might enjoy? I saw theBlu recommended and that's about what I mean. Reverb, so no oculus exclusive I'm afraid. Google Earth for sure.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

NmareBfly posted:

What're some good seated VR showcase things that complete non-gamer parents might enjoy? I saw theBlu recommended and that's about what I mean. Reverb, so no oculus exclusive I'm afraid. Google Earth for sure.

Same question but also standing

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Parallelwoody posted:

There's only like 11 places in the US and none of them near me, so I don't think that'll be an option. I'd have to imagine at that price tag and still needing to buy base stations and controllers that I better have absolutely no complaints though.

I'd just email them about a return policy. We've had a few meetings with em and they all seem like stand up people who stand by the product and clearly understand the target audience is someone looking for a premium rear end headset and can splash the money for it.

If I could splash out 2k on a headset atm, I'd do it. I have index controllers and all that already so yeah it sucks but i dont need a kit anyways.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

People make fun of PSVR but Ocean Descent was a really good demo and I wish there was something as good for Oculus/PC.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Parallelwoody posted:

Since I have an Index already it's 'easy' for me to just move to the Aero and plop it in. If you're starting from nothing though it's a much larger issue to get I feel since you can't soften the blow by convincing yourself you already have everything else (like EbolaIvory menitons).
The biggest issues with the Aero I've heard people have issues with is the lack of audio, both output and input. I personally don't care about the lack of microphone much but the audio kinda sucks if only because the Index has such good audio. Still didn't stop me though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Since I have an Index already it's 'easy' for me to just move to the Aero and plop it in. If you're starting from nothing though it's a much larger issue to get I feel since you can't soften the blow by convincing yourself you already have everything else (like EbolaIvory menitons).
The biggest issues with the Aero I've heard people have issues with is the lack of audio, both output and input. I personally don't care about the lack of microphone much but the audio kinda sucks if only because the Index has such good audio. Still didn't stop me though.

What further sucks is the greebly bits on the headstrap mean there's no good spot to mount the clip-on solutions like VR Ears or Mantis' Bionik earpods.

The lack of microphone's at least an easy, but expensive, fix with a modmic.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So Kaker you do have one and an index, or am I misreading? Like to know your thoughts on both if so and you wouldn't mind.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Parallelwoody posted:

So Kaker you do have one and an index, or am I misreading? Like to know your thoughts on both if so and you wouldn't mind.

I have one on order, I'm still waiting. As soon as I get it I'll certainly share my thoughts, I suspect it will be the same as what other people say. "Wow its so good and clear and my new daily driver sucks there is no audio wow its expensive"

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think I am definitely old now. I remember hooking my dad up with Super Black Bass for the SNES way back when and laughing at how entranced he was with it. The guy thought it was a modern miracle - fishing right in the den!

Well now I'm fully happy sitting for twenty minutes with this headset on just looking around at the lobby environments. I can't stop thinking about beat saber while I'm at work. I have become my dad, completely blown away by what I assume is a very mundane technology to someone much younger than me.

Not really VR related, but your memory just triggered my memory of my dad helping us kids getting to the next level in Donkey Kong Country back in the 90's. Turns out he spent all nights practicing some nights so that he could help us out. :3 Thanks for triggering that memory for me. :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1584840/AGAINST/

Against is on EA now on Steam. It has a level editor + custom songs, which is promising.

edit: and Demeo for 20€ on Steam.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 17, 2021

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is this the place to talk about VRChat? I've been looking into unity to build out my own world to relax in, but most of the guides for it seem outdated. Is there a learning source I'm missing, or am I going to have to go about this the hard way?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is this the place to talk about VRChat? I've been looking into unity to build out my own world to relax in, but most of the guides for it seem outdated. Is there a learning source I'm missing, or am I going to have to go about this the hard way?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&userid=191103&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post519106819

Go here, read this post, you'll be set for building a basic hangout world. :science:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vertigo Games have announced that After the Fall had a revenue of 1.2M+ euros on release day ($1.4M), they have sold more copies of the game on release day than they sold copies of Arizona Sunshine on its first month.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Thanks mate!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I am surprised there arent more goons using vrchat. Looking forward to singing baka mitai as a wee mousey man for a virtual bday party tonight. If anyone wants to crash it ill post the info around 5pm est

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It can be tough to avoid the squeakers, but otherwise it's a wild ride just hopping around and seeing what's out there. I discovered a nice twitch steamer through VRChat because she was hopping worlds doing guitar and singing performances, and there's a few people I now encounter occasionally because we just got chatting once. VRChat is like NoContextHumans in videogame form, and it ain't always good, but if you're willing to drive into the insanity then it's definitely an experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It can be tough to avoid the squeakers, but otherwise it's a wild ride just hopping around and seeing what's out there. I discovered a nice twitch steamer through VRChat because she was hopping worlds doing guitar and singing performances, and there's a few people I now encounter occasionally because we just got chatting once. VRChat is like NoContextHumans in videogame form, and it ain't always good, but if you're willing to drive into the insanity then it's definitely an experience.

Stick to the PC-only worlds if you're looking for public worlds to roam and socialize in. The squeakers tend to be almost-universally Quest users, and it's made The Black Cat a special flavour of hell because it's the go-to social world.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I feel like the annoying minors problem is a tad overemphasized in vrchat discussions, and honestly the kids are kinda funny sometimes before you're forced to disappear them with the flick of a wrist.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I feel like the annoying minors problem is a tad overemphasized in vrchat discussions

do you only visit private lobbies?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I feel like the annoying minors problem is a tad overemphasized in vrchat discussions, and honestly the kids are kinda funny sometimes before you're forced to disappear them with the flick of a wrist.

Minors should really not be in VRChat, full-stop.

Also you clearly have not gone to public instance of The Black Cat or anything popular, because it is a grey tide of underaged Visitor-rank Quest-users as far as the eye can see.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah, I stay way the gently caress away from the popular worlds. There are a lot of lesser-known worlds that only ever have small crowds. I can't imagine why someone would just click the default boring room full of screaming children.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

yeah, I stay way the gently caress away from the popular worlds. There are a lot of lesser-known worlds that only ever have small crowds. I can't imagine why someone would just click the default boring room full of screaming children.

Do you see the contradiction here?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think my mistake was overestimating people's inclination to select anything other than the default list of worlds. Black cat is one of thousands, and yet it gets emphasized in every vrchat discussion, is my point.

If you are physically incapable of choosing nondefault worlds then I will cede that the kids can be an unmanageable problem

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
OMG, I had finally figured out how to get to my wishlist on the Oculus phone app, but they just updated it and I can’t find it anymore! Where the gently caress did it go?

(God drat this app sucks so bad)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hit the menu button and go to "saved"

It used to be called wishlist, they must have changed it

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hit the menu button and go to "saved"

It used to be called wishlist, they must have changed it

Ugh, I though that's what may have happened, and that sucks, because "Saved" doesn't show the current price, which makes it hard to scan to see if anything I want is currently on sale.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I said come in! posted:

I was able to chat with HP Support tonight, and they are sending me a new cable. Very happy. :toot:

I had the cable in hand less than 24 hrs from picking the phone up, I believe

it's like they went from "globally atrocious service" to "world class service" while the rest of us were reading about Omicron

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

On the topic of VR chat, I absolutely love all the little games that are starting to pop up. There's a Doom clone (VRCDoom), mini-golf, a dozen amongus like games, and even a few battle royales. If y'all have any neat game worlds, I'd be interested in taking a look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TalonDemonKing posted:

On the topic of VR chat, I absolutely love all the little games that are starting to pop up. There's a Doom clone (VRCDoom), mini-golf, a dozen amongus like games, and even a few battle royales. If y'all have any neat game worlds, I'd be interested in taking a look!

Go check out Ghost, Super Tower Defense, and of course Murder 4.