Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

OzFactor posted:

Steam Thread: Praey Chorvs wif us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my lord

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Man Hitman 3 with the £10 off coupon is only £9.99. I know it's (likely) coming out on steam in a few months but I don't think I can pass that up.

I assume they fixed the integration with 1 and 2 that they had at launch?

Edit: NVM it seems to have eaten my coupon on checkout and now says I don't have a valid one.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 16, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Darkhold posted:

I assume they fixed the integration with 1 and 2 that they had at launch?

Yeah

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-pc-location-importing-guide/

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Anyone got opinions on Vermintide 1 vs 2 for two players?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

memories of 1 are hazy at this point but i think the quality of life improvements in 2 will probably outweigh the fact it has more of a loot treadmill grind going on over 1

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Det_no posted:

Vermintide 2 is vastly superior no matter how many people you have playing with you so I can't recommend Vermintide 1 anymore really. 2 people with 2 bots is probably more doable than 1/3 and I'm sure you'll be fine. You may need more people when you get later on so you can get all the collectibles for better loot but it's not a huge deal on the lower difficulties.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Det_no posted:

1 is still good but unless you particularly care about story in a co-op horde game you may as well just go with 2. As for numbers of players you probably won’t be doing the maximum difficulties or getting maximum bonuses, because as far as I remember the AI doesn’t pick up the bonus items, but 2 players and 2 bots will work quite well for a lot of the game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
2 does look pretty amazing... watching a video review of that made me want to get into the games in the first place. We might get that then.
I did read that the first game has some mods that make bots more competent. Is there anything like that for 2?

Edit: There is! Although apparently a bit wonky right now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vt1 is a vastly better-designed game for spending a long time with it and it has mods/cheats you can use freely to improve bots or skip grind because it doesn’t have dumbshit anticheat or a “sanctioned realm/modded realm” divide, but if you’re just content surfing the levels then vt2 will be better because it feels better to hit things and it has a lot more level variety

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's a fantastic game and yeah even with one friend and the basic AI you'll have a blast. The weapons in that game have such a satisfying feeling of weight to them and I don't think I'll ever get tired of bashing ratmen with a hammer. It's what a lot of these types of games do wrong, really, like the basic element of killing hordes should be fun as hell and then build whatever progression you want around that. I think that's what bummed me out so much about aliens: fireteam elite; it just wasn't fun to shoot stuff.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Det_no posted:

I played most of VT2 with a friend and 2 bots and yeah, it works pretty loving well. poo poo, I miss that game.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

1 is still good but unless you particularly care about story in a co-op horde game you may as well just go with 2. As for numbers of players you probably won’t be doing the maximum difficulties or getting maximum bonuses, because as far as I remember the AI doesn’t pick up the bonus items, but 2 players and 2 bots will work quite well for a lot of the game.

This is something that a lot of people don't know but you can tell the bots to grab Tomes and Grimmoires and they won't drop them until you force them to grab something else. Legend difficulty can be done solo+bots. It's not easy but can be done.

Det_no posted:

2 does look pretty amazing... watching a video review of that made me want to get into the games in the first place. We might get that then.
I did read that the first game has some mods that make bots more competent. Is there anything like that for 2?

Edit: There is! Although apparently a bit wonky right now.

The bots will upscale to your level but they use the equipment and traits you have on those characters. That means that if you want an effective bot you have to level that character so you can select the good traits and equip them for the build you want for that bot. A good bot can be better than some of the players you will find while playing.

I think there was a mod that can save loadouts for your bots so you can change them easily but i don't remember if that let you skip the leveling part of the other classes.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

The thing that rubbed me wrong about the FF7 remake was what a pain in the rear end it was to keep buffs up. Each big fight was just switching through all my characters, refreshing buffs, then doing a combo or two before I switch to the next one to refresh buffs. I quit using spells after awhile unless it was necessary.

It seemed like it wanted you switch characters constantly, and constantly switching between menus and Devil May Cry-lite combat was jarring and hard to get any kind of rhythm going. It was a sloppy effort that tried combine deliberate turn based combat and sword swinging action games.

Everything outside of combat was great. I hope the next one recognizes that some better AI tuning would make the combat a lot more fun. Having to fumble through menus constantly to do something as routine as "keep haste up" while trying to dodge and get combos off and stuff was just too much.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I mean you need a special materia just for a trash autocure to a low party member. Every other party based action RPG just lets you automate this poo poo. If people want to fumble through menus to give precise orders they still can but why force it on everyone.

FF7 remake could have been an all time great game if they just implemented the standard stuff that keeps party based combat flowing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

farty based combat

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FF7R's combat system is great as is and would be worse if it automated your party members more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how in Wonder Labyrinth the same character does the same powerwalking that Alucard does in SotN :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played a lot of JRPGers and most of them have awful combat systems.
The only ones that had fun enough combat were Tales of Berseria and Resonance of Fate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Missed the entire megaten series bud. And shadow hearts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shadow farts

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

resonance of fart

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dungeon farter online

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fart of the fart fartfarts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how dare you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hwurmp posted:

That one's my favorite

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I played a lot of JRPGers and most of them have awful combat systems.
The only ones that had fun enough combat were Tales of Berseria and Resonance of Fate.

I like doing the combat in games like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. It's not that the combat itself is particularly engaging (and I wish there were more challenging fights at endgame/postgame) but I am always into RPGs with job systems, unlocking and leveling all of the jobs so that I can put together different party comps for everything is fun to me, and grinding mindless battles not only pushes me toward that goal but it's also an environment where all of the work that I have done on that stuff pays off. A specific part of a game doesn't need to be engaging in a vacuum, it just needs to be fun and engaging within the complex machinery of the game itself - it needs to serve some kind of purpose. Obviously if you didn't get enjoyment out of preparing all of your classes/equipment the combat would not be fun to you but that's cool it just means you don't like that type of game :shrug:

I mean, Pacman has "awful" movement controls - you're slow and clunky and you can only move in 4 directions and you can't stop. But engaging with those awful movement controls is still fun in the context of the overall game and its themes.

e:
A good example recently is Siralim Ultimate. It's a monster-collecting JRPG specifically designed for weirdos like me. It's very easy to put together a build that wins combat on the first action of the first turn, and the game is entirely about combat - there's almost nothing else to it. But it's an incredible game for people who like the party creation/building aspect or putting together combo decks in MTG or whatever because the entire game is about fighting things to get resources to create a new party that wins fights that fast with a different kind of combo, purely for the joy found in putting the combos together and then seeing them executed. The combat isn't "fun" by itself but it's the road you travel down to keep reaching more of the stuff you're there to engage with, and without it the stuff you're there to engage with wouldn't matter. Then you can add optional difficulty by placing heavy challenge restrictions on yourself that make you build creative combos around specific things, so you can't use your instant-enemy-delete parties and you have to actually engage with the combat again and get rewarded appropriately. I would say that I largely like the combat in the game, despite having zero desire to play the combat alone in a contextless vacuum.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 16, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Superanos posted:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/p/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade

Final Fantasy 7 Remake went up on the Epic Store and they really are charging 80€ in Europe now. Good luck with that.

They put it up there without copy protection though lol. So it is now officially pirated

Charging more money than every other game + allowing it to be cracked... not a great combo there

Although if Intergrade is a DLC I guess the pricing makes sense, in the US it's 69.99 so ten bucks more than pretty much any other AAA game. Which if the ten bucks is for an included DLC makes some sense

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it's more that it's an older game, and a lot of once-console-exclusives launch on PC at a lower MSRP. God of War is gonna be $50 on Steam, for example, as I think Horizon and Days Gone were.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like doing the combat in games like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. It's not that the combat itself is particularly engaging (and I wish there were more challenging fights at endgame/postgame) but I am always into RPGs with job systems, unlocking and leveling all of the jobs so that I can put together different party comps for everything is fun to me, and grinding mindless battles not only pushes me toward that goal but it's also an environment where all of the work that I have done on that stuff pays off. A specific part of a game doesn't need to be engaging in a vacuum, it just needs to be fun and engaging within the complex machinery of the game itself - it needs to serve some kind of purpose. Obviously if you didn't get enjoyment out of preparing all of your classes/equipment the combat would not be fun to you but that's cool it just means you don't like that type of game :shrug:

I mean, Pacman has "awful" movement controls - you're slow and clunky and you can only move in 4 directions and you can't stop. But engaging with those awful movement controls is still fun in the context of the overall game and its themes.
I like preparation and RPG mechanic, but if your combat system is at best me just going down a checklist at best and mashing the A button at worst, then why the gently caress is it there in the first place?
I played like 30 hours of FFX, for example, and it's the most excruciatingly boring thing I've ever played. That game's combat might as well be just mashing the A button and trying to distract yourself with pretty lights.

deep dish peat moss posted:

A good example recently is Siralim Ultimate. It's a monster-collecting JRPG specifically designed for weirdos like me. It's very easy to put together a build that wins combat on the first action of the first turn, and the game is entirely about combat - there's almost nothing else to it. But it's an incredible game for people who like the party creation/building aspect or putting together combo decks in MTG or whatever because the entire game is about fighting things to get resources to create a new party that wins fights that fast with a different kind of combo, purely for the joy found in putting the combos together and then seeing them executed. The combat isn't "fun" by itself but it's the road you travel down to keep reaching more of the stuff you're there to engage with, and without it the stuff you're there to engage with wouldn't matter. Then you can add optional difficulty by placing heavy challenge restrictions on yourself that make you build creative combos around specific things, so you can't use your instant-enemy-delete parties and you have to actually engage with the combat again and get rewarded appropriately. I would say that I largely like the combat in the game, despite having zero desire to play the combat alone in a contextless vacuum.
Siralim is pretty great but it's not really a JRPG. I'm pretty sure there's no J in there.
Also it has a fast forward function because it knows that the actual combat is a waste of time 99% of the time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hwurmp posted:

When does this come out??

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Siralim borrows pretty heavily from Dragon Warrior Monsters which is definitely a JRPG, so I still consider Siralim a JRPG. Also it has a fast forward feature for literally everything, not just the combat, because it's a game about grinding and it knows that its players want to maximize their grind.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

FF7R's combat system is great as is and would be worse if it automated your party members more.

Yeah I get why some people like it just throwing my vote in the ugh nope column.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jrpg's a genre not "an rpg from japan"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not a lot of RPGs really have great combat and i actually think the turn-based ones fare better than the action ones on that front.

they both beat rt+p which is always bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

jrpg's a genre not "an rpg from japan"

What's the j stand for

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jorts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wizardry is a jrpg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jack Trades posted:

I played like 30 hours of FFX, for example, and it's the most excruciatingly boring thing I've ever played. That game's combat might as well be just mashing the A button and trying to distract yourself with pretty lights.
That's the one I liked the best after FFXII which eliminates the need to push buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the j stand for
jrpg-influenced (that j stands for japanese)