Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No thanks. I really don’t want a racist homophobic predator who only kills minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

No thanks. I really don’t want a racist homophobic predator who only kills "noble savages".

Really worried this is what we're going to get.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

brocked posted:

I'd also enjoy it done by the guy that made Bone Tomahawk

Yeah. Brawl in Cell Block 99 owned, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bone Tomahawk sucked out loud, holy poo poo.

That movie successfully made a sex scene boring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of sex scenes are very boring. ESP PG13 ones

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah but Bone Tomahawk was all around boring, it’s like it went out of its way to be boring. The dialogue felt incredibly stilted for nearly all of the characters, to the point that I couldn’t give a poo poo about any of them by the time the tomahawking happened.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of sex scenes are very boring. ESP PG13 ones

Terminator 1 had the honour of being the first sex scene I saw with my parents also in the room watching. It definitely wasn't boring but I desperately wanted it to end.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but Bone Tomahawk was all around boring, it’s like it went out of its way to be boring. The dialogue felt incredibly stilted for nearly all of the characters, to the point that I couldn’t give a poo poo about any of them by the time the tomahawking happened.

I kind of agree, but I mainly called out BT because I couldn't for the life of me remember his other stuff. I just like that the shows have such a weird creepy tension throughout stuttered with brutal violence, like a Refn movie without the neon colors and thirty second pauses between every sentence of dialog.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As a big Western fan, I enjoyed the "boring" aspects of Bone Tomahawk. Like, I think my favorite scene is at the beginning when Kurt Russell and Richard Jenkins are drinking the soup.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just watched Aliens, what a drat good movie.
Hadn't seen it in a long, long time.

Started watching Predator after, and all I could think was that if you swapped these 7 guys in for 7 of the marines in Aliens, things would have gone a lot better.

Dillon > Gorman
Dutch > Apone
Blain > Drake
Mac > Frost
Billy > Spunkmeyer
Poncho > Wierzbowski
Hawkins > Crowe

Keep Hicks, Vasquez (competent combatants), Hudson (tech issues, even if he's a panicky gently caress) and Dietrich (was the medic IIRC)

Assuming that they're as good with the future weapons and tech as they are with their 1980s gear, this would be a massive improvement.

EDIT: Also, gently caress Aliens 3. I don't care how good the director's cut is. I'll never forgive it for killing off Newt like that. They could have easily written her and Hicks out of the narrative without killing them.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Very late to the party, but I just got around to watching the episode of 'Movies that Made Us' on Netflix about Aliens. It was a very cool watch, and I admit I cried a bit when they were talking about Bill Paxton.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just watched Aliens, what a drat good movie.
Hadn't seen it in a long, long time.

Started watching Predator after, and all I could think was that if you swapped these 7 guys in for 7 of the marines in Aliens, things would have gone a lot better.

Dillon > Gorman
Dutch > Apone
Blain > Drake
Mac > Frost
Billy > Spunkmeyer
Poncho > Wierzbowski
Hawkins > Crowe

Keep Hicks, Vasquez (competent combatants), Hudson (tech issues, even if he's a panicky gently caress) and Dietrich (was the medic IIRC)

Assuming that they're as good with the future weapons and tech as they are with their 1980s gear, this would be a massive improvement.

EDIT: Also, gently caress Aliens 3. I don't care how good the director's cut is. I'll never forgive it for killing off Newt like that. They could have easily written her and Hicks out of the narrative without killing them.

If you swapped the cast of predator out, they would have all died in the initial assault when Blain unloaded his minigun on the nuclear reactor.
No way does anyone in the predator cast give up their ammo.

Keep Apone and Drake, get rid of Dietrich, and as much as it pains me because she rocks the gently caress out of those aviators, Ferro. They all still die immediately once the Aliens attack.

I like Alien 3. I get not liking what they did to Newt, but I get having to do their own thing. Although it's always bugged me that Fincher gets the blame, he didn't write the movie. I think most of it was Ward

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Drake was the only reason they even got to fall back to the APC, do not disrespect Drake :colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s all Wierzbowski’s fault

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I blame Ripley :colbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

It’s all Wierzbowski’s fault

he looks like he wants to be awkwardly hitting on the server at a resort while on vacation with his family in Florida - RIP a true hero

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As a kid I thought his name was Bowski

Where’s Bowski!??

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

As a kid I thought his name was Bowski

Where’s Bowski!??

Ha same.

Must be rough to not just be in Aliens, but a space marine in Aliens, and be like the 1 guy with 0 lines.

ehh did Crowe have any lines?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Most people ITT probably know that in the early internet days where was a site called Werzbowksi Hunters that tried to find every single frame he appeared in.

It… it wasn’t many.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does he have even a single line?

“What’s the crap supposed to be?” with regard to the food, was that his line or was that Spunkmeyer?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MrMojok posted:

“What’s the crap supposed to be?” with regard to the food, was that his line or was that Spunkmeyer?

It's both of them talking about the cornbread, according to a script I just found. Wierzbowski has surprisingly more lines than I thought, although just skimming the script I think it's mostly stuff that was cut in the theatrical release.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

Most people ITT probably know that in the early internet days where was a site called Werzbowksi Hunters that tried to find every single frame he appeared in.

It… it wasn’t many.
Holy poo poo I remember this.

MrMojok posted:

Nope, all of his lines in the script ended up being spoken by Frost in the movie.

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Aliens_James_Cameron_May_28_1985_first_draft.html

Do a quick "find" search for his name and see all 19 times his name shows up in the entire script. :v:

Crowe, who is on-camera for like less than a second, has an off-camera line of dialogue but I can't remember what it was. He's got a single line in the script but that line isn't in the movie to my recollection.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Xenomrph posted:

Holy poo poo I remember this.

Nope, all of his lines in the script ended up being spoken by Frost in the movie.

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Aliens_James_Cameron_May_28_1985_first_draft.html

Do a quick "find" search for his name and see all 19 times his name shows up in the entire script. :v:

Crowe, who is on-camera for like less than a second, has an off-camera line of dialogue but I can't remember what it was. He's got a single line in the script but that line isn't in the movie to my recollection.

Is Crowe the one who says, "You always say 'I got a bad feeling about this drop'" ?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s him! I knew he had a line.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you swapped the cast of predator out, they would have all died in the initial assault when Blain unloaded his minigun on the nuclear reactor.
No way does anyone in the predator cast give up their ammo.

Keep Apone and Drake, get rid of Dietrich, and as much as it pains me because she rocks the gently caress out of those aviators, Ferro. They all still die immediately once the Aliens attack.

I like Alien 3. I get not liking what they did to Newt, but I get having to do their own thing. Although it's always bugged me that Fincher gets the blame, he didn't write the movie. I think most of it was Ward

Vasquez unloaded her future m60 rip off and they were fine. Blain had a fall back submachine gun in Predator. I assume, he'd have a back up weapon here too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's a quick win compared to how it actually went.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Vasquez unloaded her future m60 rip off and they were fine. Blain had a fall back submachine gun in Predator. I assume, he'd have a back up weapon here too.

They weren't fine? They ended up causing irreparable damage to the reactor using short, controlled fire.

Once the first person gets hit, it's kablooey time with the Predator crew in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drk_yDIyxhY&t=70s

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

They weren't fine? They ended up causing irreparable damage to the reactor using short, controlled fire.

Once the first person gets hit, it's kablooey time with the Predator crew in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drk_yDIyxhY&t=70s
The Predator crew are definitely more accurate and I'd trust them to do better with short controlled bursts.

They were fine. They had plenty of
time to escape (they were prevented from doing so by the shuttle going down) and the reactor eventually blowing up was good. Just as long as it doesnt blow up instantly they'll be better off.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Assuming we ignore the tech and for the sake of the hypothetical they are well trained with their newly issued future/vintage weapons, I don't think there's a serious argument that the Colonial Marines do better with the swaparoo than Dutch's squad. With the exception of Blaine, everyone was a pretty cautious and fairly thoughtful operator. The marines were pretty cocksure and overconfident. An invisible stalker would cause them to break down just as fast as a hive of monsters.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Colonial Marines are cops who are used to beating up minimally armed, untrained civilian colonists. Dutch’s crew are a bunch of psychopathic mass murderers pretending they aren’t an extrajudicial death squad (“not assassins” indeed).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

david_a posted:

The Colonial Marines are cops who are used to beating up minimally armed, untrained civilian colonists. Dutch’s crew are a bunch of psychopathic mass murderers pretending they aren’t an extrajudicial death squad (“not assassins” indeed).

It would be funny if this wasn't the first or even second time they've been duped into working around their thin veneer of principles.

"Hey this democratically elected government is thinking about nationalizing their mineral rights and they uh... took hostages or something. That's your thing right? They have a bunch of innocent hostages, just truckloads of them. But you have to blow up their whole army to save 'em."

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Owlbear Camus posted:

It would be funny if this wasn't the first or even second time they've been duped into working around their thin veneer of principles.

"Hey this democratically elected government is thinking about nationalizing their mineral rights and they uh... took hostages or something. That's your thing right? They have a bunch of innocent hostages, just truckloads of them. But you have to blow up their whole army to save 'em."

George Bush! You son of a bitch!
[They arm wrestle in mid-air during a handshake, Bush is apparently losing the contest]  What's the matter? The CIA got you pushing too many pencils?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In their defense, I will say that the Colonial Marines were expecting another soft target (they joke about raping taking advantage of colonists) so they weren’t exactly prepared for what was coming. Dutch’s crew has the advantage that they already psych themselves up to kill faceless inhuman monsters, because how else could they mow down a hundred people while cracking jokes about it. The real reason Dutch gets mad at Dillon is that he broke his suspension of disbelief.

I don’t think that the end result would be much different though; probably worse. Newt would probably have gotten murked from those trigger-happy yahoos and I also think the atmosphere processor would have exploded way sooner since Dutch’s team’s motto seems to be “there’s no kill like overkill.”

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Upon further consideration there's no way Dillon gets Dutch's squad to hand over mags.

If he did though they are much more comfortable with improvised kills. Dutch would simply throw a space truck at the queen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the marines would have hosed the predator up because they have things like infrared tracking on a machine gun that shoots explosive ammunition. we know this to be true because i hosed up predators all the time in AVP :getin:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A predator would have picked off Newt long before Dutches team arrives. "BuT ShEs NoT aRmEd!" Bullshit. Those gopher teeth are plenty dangerous just ask Hicks. With no Newt there's no tunnel navigator to the remote controlled rescue choppa.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just wanted to chime in and say this predator/aliens squad swap discussion is hilarious and has been fun to read :allears:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The deciding factor is obviously whether or not the heroes are included. If we’re talking just the squads minus Dutch and Ripley, then they’re all dead. Do the Colonial Marines have to operate under Dutch? Does Dutch’s squad have Ripley? These are the important questions.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Doesn't one marine ask "is this another bug hunt?" I always took that to mean they'd fought other alien wildlife before, though obviously not as dangerous as xenomorphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Charlz Guybon posted:

Doesn't one marine ask "is this another bug hunt?" I always took that to mean they'd fought other alien wildlife before, though obviously not as dangerous as xenomorphs.
Yeah, extraterrestrial life exists, it’s not like ‘Alien’ was a first contact scenario.