Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

How are u posted:

Could you maybe connect the dots between point A and B for us, as to how you envison things changing in the USA?

You're right. Lockdowns, forced vaccination programs, etc, cannot happen without some great catalyst.

That's why I think the path from A to B is things get so bad that eventually politicians and the people who finance them are willing to actually do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The US has engaged in comprehensive vaccination/disease control programs repeatedly, I'm not proposing something unheard of

When talking about policy, the last 20 months are more relevant than the last 20 years. What you are talking about is extremely far beyond getting schools to vaccinate against polio. You're talking about total social and economic lockdown and federally mandated vaccination programs. No, in fact, those things are unheard of in the recent history of the United States.

quote:

anyway, whatever, i get it, you don't think things can change. I disagree. Have fun

"Things can change" isn't an argument. You can justify any idea by saying that you can imagine it happening. Imagination has no limits. But you're not talking about doing something in your imagination, you're talking about doing something here in reality, and so where things are in reality is relevant.

You don't get to ignore recent history just because it's inconvenient to your argument.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

people are being self-servingly absolutist

China is held up as an example of good covid policy. antagonists then say "well, there were 77 cases last week" or whatever

yes. in a country of 1.2 billion people. that seems like a disease under control. By comparison, there are 8 or so cases of bubonic plague in the US a year. We'd all agree that's "under control"

So, it is possible to control covid. and no, it doesn't require "communism" or "authoritarian states" or whatever. It requires political will; that's what's missing in the US, and if you believe that is an impossible, unchangeable thing, then you don't read history, or haven't even been awake the last 20 years, or 18 months

a third of the country believes the virus is a chinese/democRat hoax and won't even wear a mask or take the free miracle vaccine, a state just outlawed quarantine how on earth do you see this changing with all the 'political will' in the world

edit: basically what Xombie said

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Hey y'all, I haven't been following research for months now, so I have a question: I got my 2nd dose of moderna in mid august. I don't have any pre-existing conditions or the like. Should I get my booster shot now or would it be better to wait until 6 months have passed? As far as I know, the immune reponse is better if you wait longer.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

hey mom its 420 posted:

Hey y'all, I haven't been following research for months now, so I have a question: I got my 2nd dose of moderna in mid august. I don't have any pre-existing conditions or the like. Should I get my booster shot now or would it be better to wait until 6 months have passed? As far as I know, the immune reponse is better if you wait longer.

Get it as soon as you can. It's good stuff.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

hey mom its 420 posted:

Now.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i suppose a major necessary condition for things to change is for people to not walk around thinking "things can't change," but who knows

i actively work every day to change material reality that i'm told can't be improved, and am successful, along with a group of other like minded people. it's just my experience :shrug:

as to the whole "the government can't do that," the answer is, simply, yes they can, of course they can. they just don't want to right now. the feds have a litany of tools to force states into certain behaviors. if you think, "oh no, that can't happen, there would be violence" my response would be, "that's our future no matter what"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

people are being self-servingly absolutist

China is held up as an example of good covid policy. antagonists then say "well, there were 77 cases last week" or whatever

yes. in a country of 1.2 billion people. that seems like a disease under control. By comparison, there are 8 or so cases of bubonic plague in the US a year. We'd all agree that's "under control"

So, it is possible to control covid. and no, it doesn't require "communism" or "authoritarian states" or whatever. It requires political will; that's what's missing in the US, and if you believe that is an impossible, unchangeable thing, then you don't read history, or haven't even been awake the last 20 years, or 18 months

The thing is that "COVID zero" means literally zero COVID whatsoever, so that the harsh but very temporary restrictions can be lifted without fear of an immediate resurgence of a highly contagious disease.

If COVID numbers cannot be reduced to literally zero, then we will necessarily have to learn to live with COVID, and no amount of whining or teeth-gnashing can change that.

The US has engaged in comprehensive vaccination/disease control programs repeatedly, I'm not proposing something unheard of

anyway, whatever, i get it, you don't think things can change. I disagree. Have fun

The vaccines are not sterilizing vaccines, and thus cannot eradicate COVID. They can raise people's resistance to COVID, and reduce the severity of infection, but even highly vaccinated countries that have maintained lockdown measures are seeing their case counts rise.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

Personally I feel that 4 months is long enough and if I were you I'd want to be heading into Omicron as cranked as possible.

Not a doctor, yada yada yada

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

hey mom its 420 posted:

Canada and the UK have moved to 3 months in response to Omicron (and both weren't exactly super liberal with their booster policies before) so 100% it's better to get it now while you're almost for sure at the start of a massive wave than to min max your titers by waiting an optimal time for your booster.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the greatest evidence i have that the us will never change are the posts in this thread, so, point ceded, i suppose

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cr0y posted:

Personally I feel that 4 months is long enough

like... personally based on what?

Vaccines aren't diablo fire resist potions. The idea of boosters isn't you take one and it lasts 8 minutes then you take another. The concept of vaccine series is based on getting particular shots at particular intervals to best prime the immune system. Just speed running a bunch to "top off" on some feeling you are getting low isn't how anything works.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Alright, thanks for your responses, I'm gonna go get ubervaxed right now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A second employee has reported that they were in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID. How do I know? They came to work and stood outside my door waiting to talk to HR about it.

As they left they said that they would be quarantining. Until Monday.

EDIT:

The CEO (his wife has COVID) has decided to come back to work already, and that he doesn't need a mask because he tests himself every 12 hours with a home kit.

I'm glad he's on a different floor, but this is a small place and if he has it, everyone's going to get it. It is beyond my comprehension for someone to be so immensely ignorant and selfish.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 16, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Madjackal, are you seeing any covid trends in person right now? Cases seem to be shooting up in NYC but since they're almost all vaccinated is that putting any noticeable pressure on the medical staff?

NYC is going to be the canary in the coal mine once again and the more on the ground info the better

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the greatest evidence i have that the us will never change are the posts in this thread, so, point ceded, i suppose

You should probably look outside, because I think the material conditions of the US provides far more concrete evidence than a handful of people posting on the deck of the Titanic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I think you need to make concrete statements about what precisely the federal government should do right now, rather than broad hand-wavey statements about 'political will.'

What is your specific plan to get lockdowns and masking in the countless small towns and rural counties across the US? What's a specific plan to get Florida and Missouri (the latter of which, I can't emphasize enough, just outlawed all quarantines) to comply with lockdowns?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm pretty sure Omicron has been everywhere for at least a month at this point.

Here's an interesting datapoint:

Omicron is dominant in wastewater samples in Central Florida county

quote:

By Associated Press
Published 17 minutes ago
ORLANDO — Even though there have been practically no cases of clinical infection, wastewater samples show that the new omicron variant is now the dominant strain of COVID-19 in the Florida county that is home to the nation’s largest theme park resorts, officials said this week.

The omicron variant has quickly surpassed the delta variant in collections taken from wastewater sampling sites in Orange County, officials said.

A sampling this week showed that omicron represented almost 100% of the strains in the samples from the wastewater facilities, Orange County Utilities spokesperson Sarah Lux said in an email.

It’s a different story when it comes to people seeking treatment for COVID-19, officials said.

“Those who are hospitalized are being primarily infected by the delta variant,” Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said Wednesday at a news conference held at the Orlando International Airport.

Although tourist numbers have dropped since the start of the pandemic, tens of millions still travel to Orlando each year to visit the area’s famous theme parks, including Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando.

Scientists have said omicron is more contagious than delta, but it’s unclear whether omicron’s rapid spread will overwhelm hospitals. They said it’s too soon to draw conclusions since the variant is quite new and hospitalizations can lag weeks behind infections.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

like... personally based on what?

Vaccines aren't diablo fire resist potions. The idea of boosters isn't you take one and it lasts 8 minutes then you take another. The concept of vaccine series is based on getting particular shots at particular intervals to best prime the immune system. Just speed running a bunch to "top off" on some feeling you are getting low isn't how anything works.

The fact that two shots are performing extraordinarily poorly against omicron and all we have is to boost or not to boost right now. Is 4 months better than 6 months? No idea, but everything is pointing to the boosters at least providing some degree protection better than two shots and two shots alone.

People can obviously do whatever they want and I was just providing my own anecdotal viewpoint on things. I feel that waiting two months so that you're at the "proper" interval for a booster is more dangerous than getting it now as we head into a global wave of a highly immune escapable variant.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I don't know where it has or not, because the UK Trajectory over the last 3 days has been nothing like it's been the last few weeks.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

I think you need to make concrete statements about what precisely the federal government should do right now, rather than broad hand-wavey statements about 'political will.'

What is your specific plan to get lockdowns and masking in the countless small towns and rural counties across the US? What's a specific plan to get Florida and Missouri (the latter of which, I can't emphasize enough, just outlawed all quarantines) to comply with lockdowns?

What if the government dropped the president’s measured approach and gave a shot at the vice president’s more radical proposal of giving everyone $2000 a month? That would probably lead to fewer people finding it necessary to go out and risk their lives working. Masks by mail would be a great start too.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

cr0y posted:

The fact that two shots are performing extraordinarily poorly against omicron and all we have is to boost or not to boost right now. Is 4 months better than 6 months? No idea, but everything is pointing to the boosters at least providing some degree protection better than two shots and two shots alone.

Just going to add that it's performing poorly against infection protection - it still seems to help a lot against hospitalisation and death

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

What if the government dropped the president’s measured approach and gave a shot at the vice president’s more radical proposal of giving everyone $2000 a month? That would probably lead to fewer people finding it necessary to go out and risk their lives working. Masks by mail would be a great start too.

Whatever the merits of it, do you honestly see that getting through Congress (something that would cost north of $600 billion to cover one month, not counting administrative costs, etc.)?

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 16, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mawarannahr posted:

Hey, I'd love more money. But how does that get lockdowns to happen? I don't think individuals' money is what's keeping lockdowns from functioning in late 2021.

Masks by mail would be awesome too - but how does the federal government get people to wear them? Or states/counties to enforce them?

Both of these are great but they don't solve the core issues as of this moment, right? Which seems to be a pervasive culture of disinformation, and a lack of LOCAL political will to stop the virus. How's this help anyone in, for example, Missouri, where quarantine is illegal?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So Fauci said this today:

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1471545014127898624

and yeah, it turns out that at least 3 PCR tests can't detect Omicron: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...omicron-reduced

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

So Fauci said this today:

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1471545014127898624

and yeah, it turns out that at least 3 PCR tests can't detect Omicron: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...omicron-reduced

This is a little misleading.

This is just the S region dropout thing. This is how omicron was originally detected at all. PCR tests constantly coming back positive in all tests with one blank space and that pattern has been the pattern people have used to identify probable omicron vs delta cases worldwide.

It's not a new announcement that there is new invisible undetectable covid. Just talking about the specific missing checkbox that has been the hallmark of omicron from before omicron was even named.

quote:

Potential Impact: Since these tests are designed to detect multiple genetic targets, the overall test sensitivity should not be impacted. The pattern of SARS-CoV-2 detection with one target failure may provide a signal that the omicron variant may be present so that sequencing can be considered to characterize the variant.

quote:

4 November
South African scientists begin seeing samples where PCR tests have S-gene target failure (which occurs in a few variants, but not in Delta which had by far dominated in the country in October), alerting them to a change in epidemiology.[3]

8 November
The first confirmed sample of what would eventually be named the Omicron variant by the World Health Organization (WHO) is collected in South Africa.[4][5][6]

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 16, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Whatever the merits of it, do you honestly see that getting through Congress (something that would cost north of $600 billion to cover one month, not counting administrative costs, etc.)?

Why does it need to get through Congress? Can’t the president just order it to happen? USA Today seems to say that he can: https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5582667002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

mawarannahr posted:

Why does it need to get through Congress? Can’t the president just order it to happen? USA Today seems to say that he can: https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5582667002
no because missouri has laws

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is just the S region dropout thing. This is how omicron was originally detected at all. PCR tests constantly coming back positive in all tests with one blank space and that pattern has been the pattern people have used to identify probable omicron vs delta cases worldwide.

It's not a new announcement that there is new invisible undetectable covid. Just talking about the specific missing checkbox that has been the hallmark of omicron from before omicron was even named.

That is one of the three tests, yes. The other two are single target tests and it explicitly says if you have the omicron variant you will get a false negative.

e: no, I think you are reading a different section of what Petey posted. FDA says the three tests under the Tests Expected to Fail to Detect the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant are expected to return false negative results overall. The tests lower in the doc do what you describe.

Meridian doesn't distribute their tests so they should be fine. though they do a lot of support for medical studies so there may be some internal issues there

Tide seems like the primary concern right now, and the laboratories that use those tests are in Petey's link

quote:

Potential Impact: Since this is a single target test, the test is expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant, resulting in false negative results in patients with the omicron variant. This nine-nucleotide deletion appears to be specific to the omicron variant; therefore, based on initial bioinformatics analysis, the performance of the test is not expected to be impacted for other known SARS-CoV-2 variants.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 16, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

President can't just spend money any which way they want, what's allocated for what is set by Congress (usually with some flexibilty).

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

FDA, yes the typos are real posted:

Due to the inability of these test to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicrom variant, the FDA recommends that these test should not be used until this issues is resolved.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...omicron-reduced

Good grief, they're in such a hurry they're leaving the typos in.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Madjackal, are you seeing any covid trends in person right now? Cases seem to be shooting up in NYC but since they're almost all vaccinated is that putting any noticeable pressure on the medical staff?

NYC is going to be the canary in the coal mine once again and the more on the ground info the better

Keep in mind I’m solely outpatient now.

Definitely seeing an uptick in sick calls in general and a couple breakthrough cases over the past two weeks.

54M seeing me 8 days after Thanksgiving for a yearly physical, gets a call while I’m in the room and about halfway done that he tested positive for COVID. I was really glad that I’ve been consistent in wearing an N95 with a surgical mask over it during every visit. He only felt a little fatigued a few days before, absolutely zero other symptoms. Vitals all stable. Double vaccinated, second shot in mid June. Figured he probably picked it up when he was visiting his also-vaccinated family.

Had a weird case yesterday of a 48F with five days of myalgias, mild cough and subjective fever. Double vaccinated, second shot also in June. Was exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID six days prior. No loss of taste or smell. POCT flu and COVID both negative, chest X-ray also completely clear. I labeled it bronchitis and started some symptomatic stuff. She’s doing better today.

I’ve got a mobile testing van across the street, and a CityMD down the street which have started to get long lines for the first time since the pre-Thanksgiving testing rush.

I’ve really got to write down the annual exam I had with an RN who told me she lost her job due to refusing to get vaccinated, had her entire family get sick from COVID resulting in the deaths of one son and her father in law, and telling me proudly that she has taken part in anti-mask anti-vax protests marches that passed right by my office a month or so ago. Oh and how masks are making everyone hypoxic, but had nothing to say when I got a pulse ox and placed it on her finger (crappy cloth mask) then my finger (N95 plus surgical) and magically we both had SpO2s flipping between 97-98%.

She’s basically my perfect example of how dumb, confident, paranoid idiots would rather die than mentally touch the third rail idea that their beliefs are wrong and have directly lead to immense suffering of everyone around them and themselves.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

As stated in that article "The U.S. Constitution grants Congress the country’s spending power. David Super, a constitutional law expert teaching at Georgetown University, said that means the president cannot spend money without congressional authorization, "whether by executive order or presidential memorandum or anything else." However, Congress can provide money that is contingent on the president releasing it, in which case, an executive order could release funds, if that’s what Congress called for, he said."

While there is some flexibility, there aren't over $600 billion a month to shift around.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

quote:

Test Name (Link to EUA):  Revogene SARS-CoV-2
Manufacturer: Meridian Bioscience, Inc.
The FDA's Analysis: This test is expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant (B.1.1.529) due to a nine-nucleotide deletion in the N-gene, spanning positions 28370-28362. The single genetic target of this test covers the portion of the N-gene where the deletions occur.

quote:

Test Name (Link to EUA): DTPM COVID-19 RT-PCR test
Manufacturer: Tide Laboratories, LLC
The FDA's Analysis: This test is expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant (B.1.1.529) due to a nine-nucleotide deletion in the N-gene, spanning positions 28370-28362. The single genetic target of this test covers the portion of the N-gene where the deletions occur.

quote:

The FDA's Analysis: This test is expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant (B.1.1.529) due to deletions at amino acid positions 69-70 and mutations at nucleotide positions 23599 (T to G) and 23604 (C to A). The two viral targets of this test cover the portions of the S-gene where these mutations occur.

1 of the 3 tests was affected by S-Gene dropout due to del69-70. However, it also failed due to additional mutations that targeted other sites.

You severely need to stop posting about poo poo you don't understand.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MadJackal posted:

Keep in mind I’m solely outpatient now.

Definitely seeing an uptick in sick calls in general and a couple breakthrough cases over the past two weeks.

54M seeing me 8 days after Thanksgiving for a yearly physical, gets a call while I’m in the room and about halfway done that he tested positive for COVID. I was really glad that I’ve been consistent in wearing an N95 with a surgical mask over it during every visit. He only felt a little fatigued a few days before, absolutely zero other symptoms. Vitals all stable. Double vaccinated, second shot in mid June. Figured he probably picked it up when he was visiting his also-vaccinated family.

Had a weird case yesterday of a 48F with five days of myalgias, mild cough and subjective fever. Double vaccinated, second shot also in June. Was exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID six days prior. No loss of taste or smell. POCT flu and COVID both negative, chest X-ray also completely clear. I labeled it bronchitis and started some symptomatic stuff. She’s doing better today.

I’ve got a mobile testing van across the street, and a CityMD down the street which have started to get long lines for the first time since the pre-Thanksgiving testing rush.

I’ve really got to write down the annual exam I had with an RN who told me she lost her job due to refusing to get vaccinated, had her entire family get sick from COVID resulting in the deaths of one son and her father in law, and telling me proudly that she has taken part in anti-mask anti-vax protests marches that passed right by my office a month or so ago. Oh and how masks are making everyone hypoxic, but had nothing to say when I got a pulse ox and placed it on her finger (crappy cloth mask) then my finger (N95 plus surgical) and magically we both had SpO2s flipping between 97-98%.

She’s basically my perfect example of how dumb, confident, paranoid idiots would rather die than mentally touch the third rail idea that their beliefs are wrong and have directly lead to immense suffering of everyone around them and themselves.

Thanks for the insight, I'm betting a lot of the twitter people flee NYC like they did two marches ago so we won't get much social media updates on what's going on. My bet is they'll go visit relatives then stay there for a month or so.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

1 of the 3 tests was affected by S-Gene dropout due to del69-70. However, it also failed due to additional mutations that targeted other sites.

You severely need to stop posting about poo poo you don't understand.

Saying " it turns out that at least 3 PCR tests can't detect Omicron" in some sort of shocked tone then those tests being for the literal genes we define something as being omicron for is stupid. Doing some 'they won't say what brands!" thing is stupid and dishonest. Clearly the intent is to hype it up like some commercial test a person might take might be giving them false negatives and they might have secret covid. Not some lab thing that is literally the definition of the variant.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

those tests being for the literal genes we define something as being omicron for is stupid.

What? I don't think you have the slightest clue about how any of this works.

Please quit spewing bullshit in this thread. I can't even call it misinformation because that would imply that there's some sort of coherent thought being put forth altogether.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

What? I don't think you have the slightest clue about how any of this works.

No human has gotten false results because of this. Selling this as some "tests are inaccurate! we don't know what brands!!!" is stupid and only intended to trick people into thinking tests they may have taken are now inaccurate.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No human has gotten false results because of this. Selling this as some "tests are inaccurate! we don't know what brands!!!" is stupid and only intended to trick people into thinking tests they may have taken are now inaccurate.

Oh word, that's why the FDA page literally says:

quote:

Potential Impact: Since this is a single target test, the test is expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant, resulting in false negative results in patients with the omicron variant. This nine-nucleotide deletion appears to be specific to the omicron variant; therefore, based on initial bioinformatics analysis, the performance of the test is not expected to be impacted for other known SARS-CoV-2 variants.

Do yourself a favor and stop posting. You're in over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you actually are misreading it. From the FDA report on the Tide one:

FDA posted:

Since this is a single target test, the test is expected to fail to detect the SARS-CoV-2 omicron variant, resulting in false negative results in patients with the omicron variant . This nine-nucleotide deletion appears to be specific to the omicron variant; therefore, based on initial bioinformatics analysis, the performance of the test is not expected to be impacted for other known SARS-CoV-2 variants.

Considering it also notes to "Consider negative results in combination with clinical observations, patient history, and epidemiological information." for a subset of the tests I think it actually is saying they may have issues detecting Omicron outright.

How widespread an issue it is though remains to be seen. Not sure how common that test is. Looking at my results and all three I had this year here (Canada) didn't use any of the affected ones. But maybe you Americans are using that one all the time. There's a lot of PCR tests in use right now.