Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm a loving weirdo and totally can't hang with Pikmin.

Get rid of the timer and it's a great awesome game. But with the timer it's just too stressful. It does not make sense for me to be this way.

Are you just referring to the first game? Because even being slightly efficient can get you all the parts before the time is up.

If you get one part per day, which is fairly easy, you're set. It's also trivial to get multiple parts per day, thus giving you a buffer.

There's no overall timer in 2.

I haven't yet played more than the demo of 3 (Deluxe), but the fruit juice system gets you I think a maximum of 96 days, at least on easy.

I'd honestly suggest to give it another shot, but keep in mind 'you'll be fine.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea the timer in Pikmin 3 is absurdly generous to the point where it might as well not exist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Srice posted:

Yea the timer in Pikmin 3 is absurdly generous to the point where it might as well not exist.

How's Ultra-Spicy? Does it really amp up everything? I heard about the limitations and stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How's Ultra-Spicy? Does it really amp up everything? I heard about the limitations and stuff.

It's an interesting twist to have more limited Pikmin but no experienced Pikmin player will have trouble with it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Sickos posted:

I absolutely hated The Messenger. The platforming is fine at best and the writing is so bad it actually sabotages the game - having no dialogue at all would improve it substantially.

the platforming is amazing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh my god imagine a fully open-world Pikmin.

no

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Metroid Dread is good even if it took me 45 minutes to get one of those power ups. Kinda wanna go back and replay the previous games in the series but I also kinda want to go back and replay Metroid Prime. What's a nerd to do?!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Metroid Dread is good even if it took me 45 minutes to get one of those power ups. Kinda wanna go back and replay the previous games in the series but I also kinda want to go back and replay Metroid Prime. What's a nerd to do?!

Play Super, imo. It's not that long anyway

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The thing about The Messenger that really left a bad taste on my mouth is that whoever was writing it never let anything just stand on its own. There's a cool moment halfway through that the writing just completely ruins. You spend the whole game chasing after a legendary "western hero" that's supposed to appear and save your village. You make it all the way around the world and return to your village strong enough to fight off the demons yourself and there's there's this cool little moment where you realize that you are the legendary hero. Or there would be if a text box didn't immediately pop up and say "Oh wow I guess I'm actually the western hero because the journey changed me so much that they don't recognise me any more and also I went all the way around and came in from the west that's crazy ha ha"

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/st...%5Es1_&ref_url=

p4g on switch, maybe. weird that they wouldn't announce this at the game awards

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm a loving weirdo and totally can't hang with Pikmin.

Get rid of the timer and it's a great awesome game. But with the timer it's just too stressful. It does not make sense for me to be this way.

I would give it another shot- just keep in mind that the games tend to be hardest-looking when you first start exploring an area and in general if you get something, anything done in a single day then you'll be OK overall

as you explore the areas you can find ways to be more efficient once you know your way around and unlock shortcuts and stuff

of course if the sorta weird exploration-quasi-RTS gameplay doesn't hook you then hey whattayagonna do

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know what it's like not to find Pikmin games absolutely enthralling and addictive.

I'm actually kind of surprised with myself in not buying P3D last year but hey, whatever. Getting it this year.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there something I’m missing about using shinespark. Some of these speed blocks are in areas that don’t seem to have enough space to speed boost.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Two things to know that aren't pointed out in the game, if you boost directly into a slope you will run up it while maintaining your shinespark. And if you're space jumping while in shinespark mode you can cancel the animation by hitting y and then immediately hitting b to activate it so you can boost mid-fall if the timing is correct.

You can also speed boost while in morph ball mode.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The other thing to know is those are generally not mandatory to beat the game. If you're not having fun don't force yourself through them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
shinesparking puzzles to me are like Gwent in the Witcher or Triple Triad in Final Fantasy where it is this weird minigame that i don't get that happens to be part of another game

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That post just makes me imagine Geralt running through a corridor building up speed and suddenly shinesparking up through several floors to more quickly reach the hunt target.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I love Metroid games and I will collect everything, required or not.

So you’re telling me I can be in a ball and build up a speed boost? How does that work? I’m rolling around clicking in the left stick and nothings happening.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
No, you can build up a shinespark by running, then go into morph ball mode, and then boost as a ball. I apologize for bring unclear in my other post.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You run around on your two feet, achieve super speed, press down to store it, then go into morph ball. Then you can shinespark as a ball

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
You can also hit down to retain the charge for a brief period of time. You can then release this charge in various directions to send yourself flying. This will be required for some of the blocks that you can't get to with the usual morph ball and/or wall jumping.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You have 5 seconds after storing a shinespark to use it before it will wear off.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My problem with Pikmin is the other way around. Pikmin was basically a perfect game, but a lot of people find it difficult to handle time limits psychologically, so Nintendo compromised and released inferior games as sequels. The game is the time pressure, so once Nintendo gave up on the time pressure, there was no game left.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I generally try to collect everything and I gave up on the shinespark stuff. I would actually look up how people did some of these on youtube so I knew exactly what to do, and I still couldn't do it. I just did the ones I could and stopped trying on the more complex ones when it was no longer fun.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The timer in Pikmin isn't what stopped me from getting into those games (I love Majora's Mask, Harvest Moon-types, etc.)...it's that I don't want any of my lil' dudes to die. :kiddo:

PIKMIN NO-DEATH RUN.

Momomo posted:

Thank you, I am always glad to see more high quality rabbit content.

I'll post a better picture later. :3 I've been meaning to see if there's a bun thread in Pet Island...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

The timer in Pikmin isn't what stopped me from getting into those games (I love Majora's Mask, Harvest Moon-types, etc.)...it's that I don't want any of my lil' dudes to die. :kiddo:

PIKMIN NO-DEATH RUN.

It's the ciiiiiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiiiife

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

nrook posted:

My problem with Pikmin is the other way around. Pikmin was basically a perfect game, but a lot of people find it difficult to handle time limits psychologically, so Nintendo compromised and released inferior games as sequels. The game is the time pressure, so once Nintendo gave up on the time pressure, there was no game left.

Pikmin 3 has a time limit, plus the trial maps that are basically a full pikmin game compressed down to 10 minutes. It's extremely good.

I definitely agree about the importance of the time limit, though. Without the pressure to optimize and multitask I found the caves in 2 to be a lot less interesting than the rest of the series.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i liked the first half of the messenger and also the second half. the third half was kind of meh though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there something I’m missing about using shinespark. Some of these speed blocks are in areas that don’t seem to have enough space to speed boost.

:sickos:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I enjoy traversing a big map and collecting hidden/secret things. The dual map switching thing was a bit too complicated and made figuring out how to actually get to that place on your map a bit more tedious than it should have been.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, this has been out for a year, and no one here has gone nuts for it? What the hell? The reviews I've seen say it's pretty good, I just learned about it on twitter, and thought it was new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjUWKOcbto

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man I have no god drat clue but personally I am a huge sucker for games where you are tiny exploring or fighting in giant human sized locations

Toy story 2 (64) owned so hard, the environments were such a joy. I was a huge fan of Andy's house, als apt, and the two toy store levels

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Man I have no god drat clue but personally I am a huge sucker for games where you are tiny exploring or fighting in giant human sized locations

Toy story 2 (64) owned so hard, the environments were such a joy. I was a huge fan of Andy's house, als apt, and the two toy store levels

Same. I loved Toy Commander, really enjoyed a bunch of the Army Men games, and I even love those Rat CS:GO maps.

This game seems to be getting good support from the devs, plus it emphasizes all sorts of multiplayer support, from local splitscreen to online, to I think a mix of both, plus all in co-op or deathmatch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Silksong is going to release the day before or the day after The Winds of Winter and Doors of Stone.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

KingSlime posted:

I always wanted to hang out in the arcade and the toy store. :allears:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Battle Brothers for switch good?
Devs just come off as assholes due to in game writing? Or I miss something?
Or would I be giving money to shitheads I'd regret later?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Touhou Genso Wanderer is 75% off and I added it to my wishlist for some reason. Has anyone played it? Is it good?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Junkie Disease posted:

Battle Brothers for switch good?
Devs just come off as assholes due to in game writing? Or I miss something?
Or would I be giving money to shitheads I'd regret later?

Real good. My second most played game this year. No idea about the devs though.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1471526483017404416?s=20

Picross sale on the eShop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I may get the Overlord Picross game, as I beat Murder by Numbers a while ago.

Maybe one day I'll graduate to non-waifu Picross. :colbert: Picross S Genesis looks cool too.