Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Skwirl posted:

I always wonder about what happened when people who worked together for so long and then they hate each other. Like Cattrall did the TV show long enough that there was definitely a contract renegotiation or two, so she wasn't forced to work on the show, and she did two movies. Was just the money for that stuff enough and the new show wouldn't offer her enough.

I also kinda want to watch at least the first episode of the new show to see how they wrote her off, did they go full Henry Blake or is it just "Now she's in LA with some young boy toy"?

They probably were fine with each other for most of it, and then they weren’t. People get married and have kids and then end up hating each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Richard Dreyfuss' son. Just a whole lot of yikes (thread):

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1471322817941540864?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That man lost his job bc he was so mad at people liking Zack Snyder movies

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I also kinda want to watch at least the first episode of the new show to see how they wrote her off, did they go full Henry Blake or is it just "Now she's in LA with some young boy toy"?

The latter. Carrie apparently fired her because book publicists are useless nowadays and she moved to London.

Eggnogium posted:

They probably were fine with each other for most of it, and then they weren’t. People get married and have kids and then end up hating each other.

The thing I always heard is that Cattrall was by far the biggest star in the cast when she started the show and resented Jessica-Parker for stealing her thunder.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think it's also one thing to keep working with someone you hate when it's the status quo, and another thing entirely to no longer work with them and face the prospect of working with them AGAIN.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That man lost his job bc he was so mad at people liking Zack Snyder movies

Do you have more details?

AceOfFlames posted:

The latter. Carrie apparently fired her because book publicists are useless nowadays and she moved to London.

Should've taken her out exactly like Dominic in Airwolf. Just a 1:1 recreation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AceOfFlames posted:

The thing I always heard is that Cattrall was by far the biggest star in the cast when she started the show and resented Jessica-Parker for stealing her thunder.

That makes sense, because it was definitely true when the show started. But you have to realize Sarah Jessica Parker was the star of the show, so if the show was gonna succeed SJP was gonna be the biggest star.

I listen to a poo poo ton of podcasts because it makes work go faster, and one of them is Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor on Smallville) interviewing people, most of whom are also people on successful CW shows (the ones I listen to, not the majority of his guests) and he says he was originally paid more than Tom Welling who played Clark Kent on the show about Clark Kent because Rosenbaum was a more established actor, but when it was successful Tom Welling was paid more after the first contract renegotiation, and he was absolutely like "That's completely fair, they are the star" And because he interviews stars of other CW superhero shows, they all reveal that there were actors paid more than them at the start then eventually you are paid better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/fevered_earth/status/1381963775452925964?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jeff...s_entertainment

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda think hating the Snyder cut (even though it's an absolutely perfect film) isn't the reason he got fired/resigned from Mother Jones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the being rude to his coworkers for liking a movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the being rude to his coworkers for liking a movie

Ehh, in every other business you can be much more rude than that and still keep your job. At my job I'd probably have to yell racial slurs to get fired.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

That makes sense, because it was definitely true when the show started. But you have to realize Sarah Jessica Parker was the star of the show, so if the show was gonna succeed SJP was gonna be the biggest star.

Is it though? When the show started Cattrall was several years into the direct to video/TV guest spot part of an actors career. Meanwhile SJP had just come off a solid 4-5 years of high profile successful movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh cool now we brought Snyder bullshit in here

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah this ain't the place for Ben doofuses bs. Posting the tweets with his stupid thoughts on spacey and Bryan singer (further up in that tweet thread) was fine, but move the other stuff elsewhere please

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it though? When the show started Cattrall was several years into the direct to video/TV guest spot part of an actors career. Meanwhile SJP had just come off a solid 4-5 years of high profile successful movies.

Honestly, I'm not an expert on that kind of thing. My main point was that SJP was the star of the show and even if you are more famous than the main character, at a certain point you have to recognize who the main character actually is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The SJP/Cattrall fued chat is also a derail that should end

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Edit: ^^ Sorry, I was writing this while you posted that.

I just heard they didn't like each other personally, which seems more likely than "Kim Cattrall doesn't understand how fame works and got resentful."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

JaneError posted:

Richard Dreyfuss' son. Just a whole lot of yikes (thread):

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1471322817941540864?s=20

Dreyfuss never stops digging but who’s the actor in the last tweet one wonders

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

I believe them, but I would have thought the movies would have been equally triggering.

The second woman's account happens after the second movie came out (she says Noth talks about being reluctant to do a third movie, which was eventually shelved anyway). So that part, for her at least, is irrelevant.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 16, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also just taking a wild swing from memory, but I don't think that many people cared about the movies and I don't think he featured much in the ads. I have vague memories of it just being the women with a girls' trip vibe. Whereas this time people won't shut up about the obviously planned Pelaton thing. Those headlines were everywhere with his picture.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

In the first episode of the new season he has a heart and attack and dies. I wonder if this is why.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Ehhhh, NFL is loving evil, but I think at least NCAA, IOC, and definitely FIFA are worse.
NHL covered up one of their own players getting assaulted. The NFL seems run of the mill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

NHL covered up one of their own players getting assaulted. The NFL seems run of the mill.

Oh god, that's no where near the sins of the organizations I've mentioned.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CPL593H posted:

In the first episode of the new season he has a heart and attack and dies. I wonder if this is why.

And he got it on a Peloton bike, which not only tanked Peloton's stock but forced the company to put out an official statement blaming Big's unhealthy lifestyle and not the bike. With this they must be losing their minds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

And he got it on a Peloton bike, which not only tanked Peloton's stock but forced the company to put out an official statement blaming Big's unhealthy lifestyle and not the bike. With this they must be losing their minds.

:lol:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Oh god, that's no where near the sins of the organizations I've mentioned.

I didn't see they were worse than FIFA or the NCAA. I said they were worse than the NFL

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The NFL has tried to deny and link between football and CTE. They've killed a lot of their former players.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh it gets better:

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1470156344946741251?s=21

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1471772663488069637?s=21

:lmao:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CPL593H posted:

It forms the entire plot of the show from that point on (how Carrie moves forward from Big's death), so I highly doubt it was a last minute rewrite added because of accusations that came out when the show was announced/promoted.

In other words, the writers had Big's death on their minds from the start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hate how everything is a 'reboot' even when it's a revival, a continuation or just a goddamn sequel.

Also, loving lol at the twist

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Garlin contacted Vanity Fair and admitted Sony thinks his behavior makes for an unsafe workspace, with repeated HR investigations over the last three years, laughing it off https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/12/jeff-garlin-responds-to-talk-of-misbehavior-on-set

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

It forms the entire plot of the show from that point on (how Carrie moves forward from Big's death), so I highly doubt it was a last minute rewrite added because of accusations that came out when the show was announced/promoted.

In other words, the writers had Big's death on their minds from the start.

yeah not even southpark has that kind of turnaround time

everyone loves peloton duck, the-

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Garlin contacted Vanity Fair and admitted Sony thinks his behavior makes for an unsafe workspace, with repeated HR investigations over the last three years, laughing it off https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/12/jeff-garlin-responds-to-talk-of-misbehavior-on-set

This interview is the sort of thing you'd see in the dictionary next to 'self-own'.

quote:

If I threatened people, that’s an unsafe work atmosphere. None of that goes on ever with me. That’s not who I am. I am sorry to tell you that there really is no big story. Unless you want to do a story about political correctness.

quote:

...for your research, please watch my stand-up special on Netflix, because that’s who I am as a man. And I don’t go dirty. So if someone is upset that I say something nonsensical that has dirty words in it, I apologize.…

quote:

Okay. Well, here’s the thing. When I say I respect people, it’s like, “Let me know what you want to be called. Let me know what your boundaries are.” And I will [honor them]. I don’t do general boundaries, except for common decency. Other than that, I don’t. I’m a comedian and I’m sorry, but boundaries are meant to be broken. That being said, if it’s really a personal situation, it needs to be taken care of, I agree with that. 

They don’t see it as silly, Jeff. They see it as sexist.

Okay. Well, by the way, let’s jump on that. I am a man who has immense respect for women. I have very close women friends. …  I respect, excuse my language, the gently caress out of women, and women deserve respect.

Regarding whether he sent an offensive text sent to a woman about wearing minimal clothing to work:

quote:

To my knowledge, no. But if I wrote something like that, it had to do with something that was going on, and it wasn’t anything sexual. Yeah, there’s no way. I’m talking 100% no way, because I don’t talk that way. I don’t. Now, have I said stuff like that joking? You bet. But not joking where the underlying thing was something sexual. It would have been silly.  

About how he would improve the industry:

quote:

To me, the only way is to hire good people. Thoughtful people. But also get rid of people that are power hungry and jerkish and don’t give a poo poo about the little guy. I’m just telling you flat out—that ain’t me, but maybe it’s perceived to be, I don’t know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat curb your enthusiasm even made fun of Jeff and Weinstein by having people mistake the two

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

drat curb your enthusiasm even made fun of Jeff and Weinstein by having people mistake the two

He played a Harvey Weinstein esque character in Entourage (pre accusations).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Skwirl posted:

He played a Harvey Weinstein esque character in Entourage (pre accusations).

https://entourage.fandom.com/wiki/Harvey_Weingard

quote:

Portrayed by
Maury Chaykin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CourtneyLTanner/status/1471882716190629896?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kangra posted:

This interview is the sort of thing you'd see in the dictionary next to 'self-own'.

Regarding whether he sent an offensive text sent to a woman about wearing minimal clothing to work:

About how he would improve the industry:

I remember reading this after it was published and thinking it was insane that the guy has absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever, it’s probably good that he’s no longer on that set.

Of course, now the writers are in a hosed up position. it’s gotta be really weird to have to write out a guy all of a sudden half a season before the show is over. And they already did the respectful character death tribute for George Segal, who actually deserved it. so do they just say “dad went to go visit his siblings all the way across the country and he only communicates through telephone now” or just write around him being gone without saying anything and hope it’s not noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I remember reading this after it was published and thinking it was insane that the guy has absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever, it’s probably good that he’s no longer on that set.

Of course, now the writers are in a hosed up position. it’s gotta be really weird to have to write out a guy all of a sudden half a season before the show is over. And they already did the respectful character death tribute for George Segal, who actually deserved it. so do they just say “dad went to go visit his siblings all the way across the country and he only communicates through telephone now” or just write around him being gone without saying anything and hope it’s not noticeable.

Just say he went up a staircase and never went down