Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You think so linearly!

Option ↄ, Doctor opens and it kills her or something else does right bout the same time. Doctor regenerates. New body _is_ one of the pre-hartnell entities formerly/eventually known as the Doctor, as will the next ?? incarnations, as we focus on adventures of the main character creating their own ancient forgotten memories backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Narsham posted:

I mean, there's only two stories you can tell here, right?
1. Doctor rejects the past and destroys the watch.
2. Doctor recovers the memories.

1 is absolutely obvious and where I figured the story was going.
I'm afraid Chibnall is planning to use 2 prior to the regeneration so that Time's threat is carried out. Doctor recovers memories, says "I'm no longer the Doctor," then regenerates. The Doctor is dead, someone else is now alive, have fun with that story RTD. (But that's probably too clever.)

Then there's the trollish 2 options.
Option Remsta: Doctor opens up the watch, straightens up. Starts behaving entirely differently. Turns out that wasn't her old memories in there, but someone else who has now taken over her mind.

Option Huh: Doctor opens up the watch, doubles over, gasps. Companion asks what's happening. Doctor says "I've just recovered all my old memories that were stolen from me by an evil organization trying to control all of space and time." Companion asks what she's discovered. "I don't want to talk about it."

That feels like a Moffat troll, but I could see RTD use it. Either this stuff will come up later, or it won't. In the meantime, we don't have access to the Doctor's interior world, we just see things from the companions' perspectives.

I'd be dumb to bring it back to do this but i was kinda hoping the twist/gag/troll at the end of the episode would be she opens it up and nothing happens. :)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
One way they could have had their cake and eaten is saying that the Timeless Child wasn't the Doctor, but instead a blank slate that had countless different Time Lord personas chameleon arched onto it. The version that 13 met had a possible future incarnation of the Doctor copied onto it. That's why Division had to mothball the Timeless Child project, they were getting too much attention from the Time Lords after that little stunt. Therefore, Jo Martin could play the 14th Doctor, because the Fugitive Doctor wasn't the Doctor, but a future incarnation's persona copied onto a blank slate.

Also did the Doctor accidentally leave that one random Ood as the head of Division?

But yeah, The Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure is a great boxset. You get three good stories, then the Sixth Doctor's final battle against the Valeyard, and Baker is on fire throughout the entire episode.

The Valeyard and the Doctor's last exchange is wonderful, as the Doctor traps the Valeyard in the Matrix, declaring that a future as the Valeyard is no future at all, and giving a wonderful speech on the joys of friendship and discovery and adventure (which, if we boil it down, isn't that what this series is about?), before finally rejecting the Valeyard.

"And what about your precious moral scruples?!"
"...They died with me" :smith:

and of course

:scotland: "It's far from over! Our future is in safe hands."

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 15, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Option Billion Billions: The Doctor opens the fobwatch and lets out a ghastly scream. The companion asks concerned: "What did you learn?"
"Over the course of a billion billions of lifetimes, countless regenerations, endless possibilities, more pain than you can imagine... withstood and inflicted... I have never been ginger."

RTD is back, baby.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
RTD's first episode. The Doctor opens the watch, walks to the Lungbarrow House, opens the door and... SUPRISE! Every companion from every audio drama, comic, mini, TV episode/serial, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party for the Doctor's 60th!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Narsham posted:

I mean, there's only two stories you can tell here, right?
1. Doctor rejects the past and destroys the watch.
2. Doctor recovers the memories.

1 is absolutely obvious and where I figured the story was going.
I'm afraid Chibnall is planning to use 2 prior to the regeneration so that Time's threat is carried out. Doctor recovers memories, says "I'm no longer the Doctor," then regenerates. The Doctor is dead, someone else is now alive, have fun with that story RTD. (But that's probably too clever.)

Then there's the trollish 2 options.
Option Remsta: Doctor opens up the watch, straightens up. Starts behaving entirely differently. Turns out that wasn't her old memories in there, but someone else who has now taken over her mind.

Option Huh: Doctor opens up the watch, doubles over, gasps. Companion asks what's happening. Doctor says "I've just recovered all my old memories that were stolen from me by an evil organization trying to control all of space and time." Companion asks what she's discovered. "I don't want to talk about it."

That feels like a Moffat troll, but I could see RTD use it. Either this stuff will come up later, or it won't. In the meantime, we don't have access to the Doctor's interior world, we just see things from the companions' perspectives.

Since it's Chibnall, there's also the option that the watch gets left behind when the Doctor upgrades to a new TARDIS (the TARDIS-C) with a working chameleon circuit.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SecretOfSteel posted:

Since it's Chibnall, there's also the option that the watch gets left behind when the Doctor upgrades to a new TARDIS (the TARDIS-C) with a working chameleon circuit.

Merchandising will never allow that bloody chameleon circuit to be fixed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it will when merchandise learns how many colour of tardii they are leaving on the table

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm listening to Dreamtime and I have literally no idea what is happening. Like I have no idea where the characters are, what's happening who even who most of them are. Considering this is meant to be Hex's settling in story after his introduction, it's very confusing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Quotey posted:

RTD's first episode. The Doctor opens the watch, walks to the Lungbarrow House, opens the door and... SUPRISE! Every companion from every audio drama, comic, mini, TV episode/serial, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party for the Doctor's 60th!

I'm in

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Doctor opens the fobwatch, and sees a vision of the Fugitive Doctor, who says "Looms are canon". End scene.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

The Doctor opens the fobwatch, and sees a vision of the Fugitive Doctor, who says "Looms are canon". End scene.

Not even the Fugitive Doctor, it's just Jo Martin on her phone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my phone knows i like doctor who so it sends me a million news about it and saw another annoying vague one of a tease that the next doctor will be "fantastic." ive never had a specific idea of next doctor and its always a surprise and ncie adjustment but this time im really gonna be zZz about them if it's back to old dudes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Fantastic Four's Michael Chiklis was NOT who I was expecting to be cast, but lets see where it goes!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Quotey posted:

Turns out the house is falling apart AFTER the party, because the party is so big it literally will bring the house down.

Time is there as DJ and when the party finishes, rewinds back to the beginning again.

Division had to seal the memory away or the Doctor would never have gotten any work done at all!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Have we had a Welsh Doctor yet? Throwing my hat in for Mr Fantastic, Ioan Gruffudd

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The doc takes the watch, opens it, and finds that time travel isn't real.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Watching Davison's last season, currently on episode one of "Planet of Fire" and while I'll comment on the season as a whole once I'm done with it, I had to break away for a moment and say oh my GOD the "American" accents Peri and her stepdad Howard are trying to pull off are loving awful. At times they might as well just be doing Aussie accents, they're that bad. JNT must have been snorting all the coke in the British Isles or something to think "yes, this will absolutely appeal to the Yanks".

E: of course, way back when I originally saw it back in the day, I was a young lad in the throes of puberty, so at the time I was quite willing to ignore Peri's dodgy accent :sweatdrop:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 16, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Quotey posted:

For "The Stolen Earth", when the Doctor and Donna arrived at The Shadow Proclamation, RTD's plan was for it to feature representatives of every alien that had been seen in the new series since the beginning ... and when the budget came back, it got cut down to a couple of Judoon. :)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Forgot to ask while I was watching Flux: what’s the deal with that crazy house? I have absolutely no memory of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Forgot to ask while I was watching Flux: what’s the deal with that crazy house? I have absolutely no memory of it.

It seems like it is intended to visually represent the "prison" of all the lost memories taken from the Doctor, all of them jammed in and straining at the edges trying to get free and into her mind.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The watch gets damaged as it falls down the garbage shoot and starts leaking ~*LORE*~ into the TARDIS. The specials are just Jodie interacting with echos of previous doctors and one scene only fancasts.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The house had very similar vibes to the "house out of time" in Twelve Monkeys the TV series.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Quotey posted:

Except for Ricky the Idiot and Captain Jack, who get trapped in a time eddy. Again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TinTower posted:

Except for Ricky the Idiot and Captain Jack, who get trapped in a time eddy. Again.

Pickled in time!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You know there's no reason to discard captain jack just because of the peepee man. Like, Jack still has an infinity of time before his rear end bloats into the face of Bo.

Jack face blown off in adventure --> new face/actor, same character.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

It seems like it is intended to visually represent the "prison" of all the lost memories taken from the Doctor, all of them jammed in and straining at the edges trying to get free and into her mind.

Thank you, was really worried I had forgotten something important.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Decided to do a T-Bakes rewatch, which brought me to 'The Sontaran Experiment', which I hadn't seen in years. Considering it was written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin, who gained a reputation for goofiness with stories like 'The Invisible Enemy' and 'Nightmare of Eden', I'd forgotten that this is pretty drat brutal and sadistic. It's not a huge body count, but everyone who dies does so horribly and in terror.

The weird thing about the Sontarans is that every time they came back, the masks got worse. There's a documentary on the DVD with all their classic-series appearances, and while Styre looked like a cancerous bollock compared to Linx, he was 100% convincing as an extraterrestrial compared to Storr or the talking turds from 'The Two Doctors'.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watching Davison's last season, currently on episode one of "Planet of Fire" and while I'll comment on the season as a whole once I'm done with it, I had to break away for a moment and say oh my GOD the "American" accents Peri and her stepdad Howard are trying to pull off are loving awful. At times they might as well just be doing Aussie accents, they're that bad. JNT must have been snorting all the coke in the British Isles or something to think "yes, this will absolutely appeal to the Yanks".

E: of course, way back when I originally saw it back in the day, I was a young lad in the throes of puberty, so at the time I was quite willing to ignore Peri's dodgy accent :sweatdrop:

They really did Peri wrong with that accent. Nicola Byrant has a really nice speaking voice (she's done tons of voiceover work), so why they got her to do an accent she struggled with was just baffling. While Peri gets much better writing in Big Finish, the downside is that Byrant is stuck with the accent whenever she reprises the character - but she's noticeably toned it down in recent years, and it helps the character a lot.

Peri and the Piscon Paradox is a great story, for example.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

OldMemes posted:

They really did Peri wrong with that accent. Nicola Byrant has a really nice speaking voice (she's done tons of voiceover work), so why they got her to do an accent she struggled with was just baffling. While Peri gets much better writing in Big Finish, the downside is that Byrant is stuck with the accent whenever she reprises the character - but she's noticeably toned it down in recent years, and it helps the character a lot.

It didn't help that they also had her use common British terms instead of their American counterparts (like "lift" instead of "elevator", or "rubbish" instead of "garbage" or "trash"). And one of the most common tells that a Brit (or Aussie) is faking a Yank accent is when they say certain words like "adult" (us Yanks say "uh-dult", Brits and Aussies say "ad-dult") or "anything" (it's "annie-thing" in the US, "enny-thing" in the UK and Australia).

That said, I'm watching "The Twin Dilemma" right now (purely for completionists' sake, since it's the last episode of Season 21), and I got a little chuckle out of how Yanks and Brits both pronounce the word "Lieutenant" differently:

(the Doctor is arguing with Hugo Lang, Space Policeman)
The Doctor: Look here, Sergeant--
Peri: Lieutenant!
The Doctor and Hugo Lang: Leftenant!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Finished up the last episode of Season 21; the season that had both the Fifth Doctor's swansong, and the Sixth Doctor's introductory story.

Warriors of the Deep - apparently, JNT had decided that this season needed to both continue reaching into the show's past, and also to have a bigger emphasis on monsters and creatures than the previous season. So in this episode, we get the best (well, "best") of both worlds, with the reintroduction of both the Silurians and their Sea Devil cousins. This is another one of those episodes with a troubled production history (the most obvious example being the Myrka. The costume for the creature had literally just gotten its' last lick of paint applied when they had to bring it on the set for filming; the writer envisioned the seabase to be dimly lit with the Myrka just making the occasional appearance, a la "Alien"...so of course the episode's lit up like a department store and the Myrka's seen goofily trudging down the halls as often as possible. Stuff like that), and we're firmly into Saward "everybody dies" territory here. But honestly, all the crap special effects, ill-fitting costumes (the Sea Devils in particular, as seen in at least one shot where they're visibly bumping into each other) and production drama aside? It's actually not that bad of a story. The writer (Johnny Byrne, No Not the One Who Draws Comic Books) was inspired in part by Saward's own Earthshock, and the pacing and ruthless nature of both the "future Cold War" conflict and the attack on the seabase by the Silurian-directed forces are handled very well, in my view. It's just a shame that the visuals couldn't live up to the story's ambitions. You might even say...there should have been another way (to make it look better).

The Awakening - Time for the semi-occasional trek into "folk horror" territory for Doctor Who, where a rural English village is being corrupted by an ancient malevolent force. So basically Doctor Who's version of "The Blood on Satan's Claw" (which has not one but two DW connections, in both Wendy Padbury and Anthony Ainley, so I'm not just making an idle connection here). Overall a decent story, though I think it tends to fall apart a little near the end. And I know, Australia's got a ton of historical ties to the UK and all; but with her aunt, then her cousin, and now her grandad, does all of Tegan's extended family live in the UK?

Frontios - Another pretty good story, though I do think it's a bit pat that Turlough has a "race memory" of the villains just so we can get an explanation of who they are and what they were doing. And it took me a bit to recognize that Brazen was played by the same actor who'd done the lead role in The Onedin Line.

Resurrection of the Daleks - Again, we're back in Saward's "violence for its' own sake" stomping grounds here. Though, to be honest, I don't necessarily disagree with his argument (that showing sanitized violence, like on "The A-Team", is actually harmful because it desensitizes people to the effects of actual violence). The problem, though, is that if you're going to show violence in all its' gory glory, you have to follow it up with also showing things like people dealing with the ramifications of it, whether that be physical or mental (or both), people dealing with the loss of loved ones to violence, etc. And to its' credit, Resurrection... does actually play that up a fair bit. You have a lot of people struggling to make sense of all the violent events taking place, and a lot of them don't make it to the end of the episode anyways. The most notable one that does is Tegan, but unfortunately for her character she's given a fair bit of short shrift, spending most of the story nursing a head wound and laying on a makeshift Army cot. But it's to Janet Fielding's credit that she makes Tegan's departure from the TARDIS crew very real and emotional, with all the death and suffering that's taken place around her finally being just too much to handle any more. The stuff taking place out in space with Davros is not quite as good as the grittier stuff that takes place in the London scenes, but overall I still think it was a pretty decent story (if also a very strong harbinger of things to come, in terms of upping the violence ante).

Planet of Fire - I already griped about Peri and her stepdad trying and largely failing to pull off American accents, so I won't rehash that here. This episode of course sees Peri's introduction, and JNT clearly starts as he means to go on with plenty of lingering shots focusing on Nicola Bryant's shapely figure (and I will address that in an aside here a bit later, as I think it's a very good signal of just how cynical JNT was in approaching the American TV market as it pertained to DW in the 1980s). It's also the swansong of Turlough, a character who I think didn't find his true footing until just after Nyssa's departure. It also features a very out-of-character moment for the Doctor when he just casually knocks off Kamelion after the robot's pleas for him to do so. I honestly think they could have found another way than to just have the Doctor zap him with the Master's TCE (and the less said about Peri chasing the shrunken Master around his TARDIS like something out of "Tom and Jerry", the better). Those grumbles aside, it's still a very good story, and it's notable that Davison had regrets about leaving after the next story because he found the scripts from season 21 to be consistently better than his previous two seasons. And speaking of better scripts...

The Caves of Androzani - well, what can I say about it, really? Constantly topped polls of "best DW story", written by Robert Holmes, filmed by Graeme Harper in a very dynamic style, visuals are great, acting is great across the board, and even the Magma Creature doesn't look too goofy. It's just a drat good story, and I also think it's a fitting end for the Fifth Doctor: no high stakes, no universe at risk, no "end of time itself" shenanigans. Just the Doctor and Peri stumbling into the DW version of a Coen Brothers film where mistake after mistake keeps piling up and the bad guys keep escalating the pace without knowing what's truly going on...until the Doctor finally sacrifices his life to save his friend.

Here's the aside I mentioned earlier: before I get into the next story, I mentioned that in "Planet of Fire", JNT clearly started as he meant to go on in regards to Peri's attractiveness. Obviously, the show had a long history of casting female companions who were pretty; "something for the dads" was established long before JNT took the reins. But while the companions that immediately preceded Peri, namely Nyssa and Tegan, were both played by very attractive women, I don't honestly recall JNT going to the lengths he did with Peri in terms of trying to ramp up the show's sex appeal. Sure, Nyssa did go full fanservice in her last story and wore a slip for much of its' running time. And sure, Janet Fielding's skirts got shorter and shorter as her time on the show progressed, showing off her (admittedly very nice) legs at many opportunities. But that said, I don't recall anyone ever commenting on Nyssa's regal good looks (not even in Black Orchid), and I only recall one time where Tegan's attractiveness was commented on (in The Awakening). But Peri? I could be wrong, but I don't think she has a single episode during her first season with Six where her beauty isn't commented on in some way (I'll probably get around to watching Season 22 before long, so I'll see if I'm wrong there), whether in passing or with dudes going full-on creeper over her. Even in the very next story, a fat evil space slug says he wants to keep her around because she's "pleasing". :barf: I think this was definitely a part of JNT's somewhat cynical approach to cracking the American market. Not just by making Peri an American, but by also focusing on her sex appeal. At the time, the common perception was that the UK produced only quality TV; the US TV audience was by comparison a boorish and unsophisticated one, as evidenced by stuff like "The A-Team", "Buck Rogers", and cartoons that were also half-hour toy commercials. The British TV distribution companies only sent over the cream of the crop to US PBS stations; the fact that UK TV also produced its' own type of puerile garbage for louts and dunderheads during the 1970s and 1980s was a very well hidden myth for most of us Yanks (a myth that was only shattered for me when I actually went there in the early 1990s. As a kid and teen throughout the 1980s, I'd watch just about any show that featured British accents and shooting locations. In the early 1990s, while actually living over in the UK, I barely watched any TV at all). With all that said, I probably had a huger crush on Nicola Bryant than I did on both Nyssa and Tegan combined, so in that regard JNT's strategy was a resounding success. I'll stop here and go on to the final episode of Season 21 now...

The Twin Dilemma - If JNT had decided to close out Season 21 with The Caves of Androzani, it'd likely have been considered one of the greatest seasons of DW ever. But he didn't; he thought that the fans would need a story that would let them get familiar with the Doctor and Peri, before the show went off the air until the following season. In hindsight, while it's not as calamitous a decision as, say, Stalin going "I'm very confident Hitler won't invade Russia" or JFK's people going "an open-top car is just the thing for the president to ride around Dallas in", it's still a pretty bad decision nonetheless. There's no way around it; this story is bad. Badly written, badly acted by all involved (excepting Colin Baker, but that's less because his Doctor's well written and more because he was given lemons and decided to make the hell out of some lemonade), and badly cast...it's just bad. There were some decent visuals, I guess, so it has that going for it at least. But all of that could have been forgiven if not for two idiotic decisions of colossal proportions: having the Sixth Doctor act extremely mentally unstable for most of the story, and that loving costume. The former was bad, because the Doctor was various shades of "rear end in a top hat" for pretty much the entire running time. Sniveling rear end in a top hat, arrogant rear end in a top hat, rude rear end in a top hat, entitled rear end in a top hat. Now, if this is the story that's supposed to set the tone and give us an idea of what the TARDIS crew will be like in the following season, then I just have one question: who the gently caress is gonna want to watch this pompous loudmouth verbally abusing the pretty "American" girl for a whole season? And especially when he's dressed like the fabric section of a craft store just threw up on him? The Sixth Doctor's outfit was just a fantastically bad idea on all levels: not only did it look like poo poo and was an affront to the eyes, but from then on, the costumers had to basically design everyone else's outfits around it. Davison's era has been derided as "the beige era" because of his outfit, but you know what? It's very hard to clash with beige, and other neutral tones, so you can have other characters wear pretty much whatever, and rely on Davison's acting to override the relative blandness of a mostly beige outfit. Colin Baker's outfit? Everyone either has to be dressed as garishly as he is, or risk fading into the background of the scene; and because he's wearing such an eyesore of a costume, he has to act louder than it, and then everyone else has to try and act loud as well just to keep up with him. Just a tremendously bad idea no matter how you slice it.

I hadn't intended on rambling on at length about Peri, Six, and the costume he got saddled with, but those were things that popped in my mind when I was watching Season 21. I wasn't sure I was going to feel like following it up with Season 22, but now I feel like I almost have to, to see if the fanservice pandering, bad costume, and the increase in violence and the Doctor's more off-putting characterization are as bad as preceding season indicates they're going to be. Timelash, The Two Doctors, the groping tree from The Mark of the Rani...god help me...

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 16, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

the groping tree from The Mark of the Rani...god help me...

That lecherous loving tree :argh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That lecherous loving tree :argh:

I'll probably go into more detail when I get around to rambling about Season 22, but I used to meet up with a bunch of other Whovians once a month back in the 1980s to watch episodes. When we saw that scene, they had to pause the tape because we were all laughing so drat hard.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OldMemes posted:

My favorite "oops I forgot how to American" Peri moment is in ...ish when she said "kai-ster" instead of "kee-ster" for a word describing a butt.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It didn't help that they also had her use common British terms instead of their American counterparts (like "lift" instead of "elevator", or "rubbish" instead of "garbage" or "trash"). And one of the most common tells that a Brit (or Aussie) is faking a Yank accent is when they say certain words like "adult" (us Yanks say "uh-dult", Brits and Aussies say "ad-dult") or "anything" (it's "annie-thing" in the US, "enny-thing" in the UK and Australia).

Revelation of the Daleks has her consistently saying "Deejay" instead of "Deejay."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Stairs posted:

My favorite "oops I forgot how to American" Peri moment is in ...ish when she said "kai-ster" instead of "kee-ster" for a word describing a butt.

Action Jacktion posted:

Revelation of the Daleks has her consistently saying "Deejay" instead of "Deejay."

Another one I forgot is when she says "sawr" for "saw". If she was established as being from the Northeast, like NYC or Boston, that might be excusable. But since Peri's supposed to be from Pasadena...eh, not so much. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Payndz posted:

Decided to do a T-Bakes rewatch, which brought me to 'The Sontaran Experiment', which I hadn't seen in years. Considering it was written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin, who gained a reputation for goofiness with stories like 'The Invisible Enemy' and 'Nightmare of Eden'

The Nightmare of Eden is a potentially good story utterly let down by production issues

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Another one I forgot is when she says "sawr" for "saw". If she was established as being from the Northeast, like NYC or Boston, that might be excusable. But since Peri's supposed to be from Pasadena...eh, not so much. :v:

I seem to remember Peri saying "Don't let's fight!" at some point, which is about the most British you can get without coating your lips in Marmite. Of course, we let David Boreanaz pretend to be Irish for like seven years so don't let's throw shade.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The writer of the 1996 TVM was British so Daphne Ashbrook had to keep correcting the dialogue she had, like "it's just gone ten".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Another tell that a British actor is trying to fake an American accent is the word "lever". Us Yanks say "lev-err", while Brits say it "leave-er". I don't recall off hand if Peri ever used that particular word, but I'm pretty sure the one "American" spaceship captain in Tomb of the Cybermen did, in what was like the weirdest mish-mash of NYC and Minnesota accents ever.