Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there's sort of two players to account for here: the xiv lifers, for whom shadowbringers in 2021 and endwalker in 2021 are quite different experiences (one being endgame stuff and the other being the main story), and the new players, for whom it's all just sort of one long continuous game

if someone ranks it as just ffxiv I'd probably count that as endwalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think any flavor of FFXIV should just be FFXIV. Whatever the current expansion is doesn't really contain much relevance as the game is constantly progressing forward.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Edgewalker or whatever it's called out here ralph nadering this bitch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14's expansions have always been split for voting purposes, that's not changing now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A sinister plot to steal the goty crown from FFXIV....

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This does make assembling my list easier since that's two places accounted for.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I do also think it's an important separation for newer players catching up or old players coming back, considering how often people fall into discussing/listing expansions in an order of which they like best to worst extending that to the actual list in general makes sense. :v: That's part of why I specified Endwalker on my own post, since I'm only talking about it specifically.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It’s in general a confusing thing where the decision could be argued to go either way. Especially during the release year of a new expansion.

If it was the previous year I’d have a bigger problem with it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

punk rebel ecks posted:

It’s in general a confusing thing where the decision could be argued to go either way. Especially during the release year of a new expansion.

I'm not changing it this year just so FF14 has a better chance of winning, that wouldn't be fair

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

FF14's expansions have always been split for voting purposes, that's not changing now

Has it? I think I just generically voted for "FFXIV" last year, rather than Shadowbringers but I don't recall it appearing multiple times. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

According to my research, they were counted separately in 2019 (which, to be fair, was also the last year an expansion came out) but in 2020 only Final Fantasy XIV as a whole was included, despite some people voting as a whole and some people voting for expansions.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

According to my research, they were counted separately in 2019 (which, to be fair, was also the last year an expansion came out) but in 2020 only Final Fantasy XIV as a whole was included.

I voted for Heavensward last year (playing it on NG+) and it didn't make top ten but it did get counted in the trailing entries at the bottom

Play
Apr 25, 2006

you have no one to blame but yourselves for splitting the vote :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Play posted:

you have no one to blame but yourselves for splitting the vote :colbert:

joke's on you I just put both shadowbringers and endwalker in my top ten

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Has it ever been that way for FFXIV because I always saw it lumped as one thing? It’s odd to specify that you have to vote for a certain version of FFXIV because you honestly can’t vote for FFXIV: Heavensward anymore because the only thing that honestly remains of that game is the story. If someone buys FFXIV now even if they’re playing just the base game story, they’re essentially playing Endwalker because the gameplay has all the updates of Endwalker.

I can see why you would separate something like the Mass Effect collection because Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 are wildly different games. FFXIV isn’t and that just makes things confusing that you have to specifically specify that you want to vote for an expansion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I voted for Heavensward last year (playing it on NG+) and it didn't make top ten but it did get counted in the trailing entries at the bottom

I must beg to differ, you voted for Shadowbringers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post510613821

And FFXIV shows up only once on VG's master list

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post511561673

Might you be thinking of 2019?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Like I said, in 2019 they were split and in 2020 they were lumped together. I don't have much stance on how it should be handled (aside from maybe requiring people to only vote for one of them in their list) but it has not been consistent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I was misremembering, Heavensward was my number 15 last year so I didn't post about it. Thanks for the correction

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Probably, it's always been the case that Rarity has split ffxiv, but VG, not being Rarity, did something different last year

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably, it's always been the case that Rarity has split ffxiv, but VG, not being Rarity, did something different last year

THAT would make sense and I forgot VG did the collating last year!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
basically it's all rarity's fault

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

I will turn this thread around and no one wins GOTY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Each expac is like a 60h game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i think it's very kind that rarity rigs the count to make sure other, lesser games have a shot at goty

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anyway in that case, just vote for Endwalker even if you haven't made it that far, thanks kids

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like all this commotion is just revealing the undeniable truth: that MMOs should be banned from the GOTY lists

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

each ffxiv entry should specify exactly which content patch they’re voting for

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

each ffxiv entry should specify exactly which content patch they’re voting for

oh that'll let me fill out my post to be a top 20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is the first game in ages I had tk change the control scheme. The bottom button is never attack instead of jump and I will never accept that. Game instantly became several grades better when I swapped that.

Its also a surprisingly easy game, so far, unlike other Ladybug joints I've played and "suffers" from the Claimh Solais issue in Castlevania Aria of Sorrow where even if that weapon weren't absurdly overpowered, its attack arc makes it infinitely more useful than other stronger options

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

cheetah7071 posted:

I was misremembering, Heavensward was my number 15 last year so I didn't post about it. Thanks for the correction

I had Heavensward on my GotY list last year. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

I had Heavensward on my GotY list last year. :colbert:

You did indeed, and VG still lumped you in with everyone else.

Sounds like 2020 needs a recount smdh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So that ff14 places lower?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So that ff14 places lower?

It's only fair

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Play posted:

I feel like all this commotion is just revealing the undeniable truth: that MMOs should be banned from the GOTY lists

true paradise cannot exist

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What kind of loser plays MMOs? It’s 2021 not 2003. :lmao:

Regy Rusty posted:

You did indeed, and VG still lumped you in with everyone else.

Sounds like 2020 needs a recount smdh

:siren: #STOPTHESTEAL :siren:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

1) toem
toem is a game about walking around little towns and a city and doing quests for people, almost exclusively in the form of taking a picture of something. i love all the characters and i love all the places. top 10 game ever for me

2) happy home paradise
i bought one of these handcraft miniature kits i saw on youtube once

this game is that but without any of the hassle of assembly. just decoration fun

3) i am dead
you’re a ghost who has the ability to create cross section diagrams for reference books by means of noclipping through stuff. that’s not what you’re doing though you’re actually doing a treasure scavenger hunt. ton of stuff to look through and a ton of stuff to discover, inside everything else. wow !! also very few images in a google search for this game will illustrate that, baffling

4) anbennar
eu4 is one of the greatest games ever and this mod cranks everything up. and also it's about orcs and elves and humans and junk. great new mechanics and good use of old mechanics, and the way it manages to tell its story through those map game mechanics is impressive. a sick and twisted remix of eu4, but hey. maybe that’s just perfect for someone like me :twisted:

5) anodyne 2
kind of slow at first and i might have dropped it but i know stux really wanted me to play it. gets a lot better after the “tutorial” city. the strife, the struggles, the twists, the depth... ironic,, that it's called "anodyne"

6) desperados 3
solid entry in the commandos/shadow tactics/desperadoes 3 trilogy. maybe a solid entry in the desperados trilogy i don’t know

7) astro's playroom
one of the best platformers in years. everything about this game is just fun. looking forward to Team Asobi's most ambitious project yet

8) kenshi
a tabletop rpg with a v specific setting. fun to go around as a robot sniper and build a crew of post apocalypse warriors and pick locks in the middle of the night. not so fun to be in a desert 90% of the time. oh well

9) project zomboid
bought this game a long time ago and it was fun. played it again years later, this time multiplayer. does everything i think you'd want a zombie game to do. establishing a base, getting fire arms, setting a town on fire because you weren't watching the stove, stealing cars and driving through hordes, raiding shops, maintaining the life of your car through the stripping of broken cars on the road for parts, drinking bleach. would recommend playing multiplayer

10) metroid dread
there's like 25 upgrades (non-ammo) in this game and they're all 6 rooms to the next one. everything in this game just feels like it's being presented so fast, no time to really take it slow and absorb the world. but it was fun. good boss fights

and now some other games:

wreckfest
fun racing game, to play with your friends (ps5 or pc). keep it clean....... or don't >:p

mario party ultimate
all the good mario party minigames + the bad 1vs3 one where you hold a direction and can’t be looking the same way as the 1. fortunes change in a second, and everyone gets mad

persona 5 royale
p5 is good and they made it a little better. i wish all the royale story beats were kneaded into the plot a little more smoothly. but all the postgame royale story stuff owns

xcom 2
western dev tactical jrpg. think fire emblem, or final fantasy tactics. when i played the free weekend i thought the time limits were annoying but eventually i got so strong i just steamrolled p much regardless. oh yeah i had the dlc with all the star trek voice actors and special stuff

13 sentinels
there's a huge bag labelled "sci fi twists" and every time you've begun writing down what you think is happening in pen the game reaches into the bag doing the jack nicholson nodding gif. good time but i wouldn't go back i think

goose game
excellent game, v tight, clever, fun. loses 7 points out of ten for the stupid attitude about the name. untitled goose game dev you are the oddium Fail Game Devs of the Year!! shut up !!

:blastu:

the good life
the good game. wish it was better though. cheers

new pokemon snap
70% less charm than the original. and it's not nostalgia the first one was just better. i can lay it out clearly but i don't want to

ghost of tsushima
got a handful of nice screen caps and got out. not about open world games anymore i think. go here to start a mission, go to a place to fight some people and listen to the characters talk on the way. cya

sea of thieves
another multiplayer good time. belay that monster hahahah

shipbreaker
looked like a winner but it didn't hit

loop hero
v cool style

spiderman miles
more open world fatigue

valheim
feh

blackwake
meh

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Honorable Mention

11. Paradise Killer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSprpzYzHKg

Explore a large abandoned vaporwave paradise to solve a murder mystery. The lore is nigh on incomprehensible, everyone is sketchy af, and there's bitchin' music playing the whole time. It's awesome. If you just want a game to get lost in to unwind this one is pretty fantastic. It's charming, memorable, and once again the soundtrack is amazing.

The Top 10

10. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Randomizer by ZoeyZolotova)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbR5WcyWl18

Majora's Mask has always been and still is my favorite game in the series. Everything about it just hits different than any other game. So naturally when a really good randomizer came along with pretty regular updates I was pumped as hell. This game in particular works very well with a randomizer due to it's world structure and open-ended nature with the 3 day system. This one will really test your knowledge of the game and what can get you where in order to progress and it's a hell of a good time. This particular randomizer has a huge array of options too so you can really finetune customize your experience to how well you know the game.

9. Paper Mario: The Origami King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6DTLcWUdY

This would place higher but I played it much more thoroughly last year and there's been a flood of great games this year. Still I'd feel remiss to not bring this one up. The Paper Mario series has has an incredibly contentious history. Is this a "return to form" that gives you the turn based RPG combat of yore with room for customization? No, it isn't. This game is more of a Zelda game experience featuring extensive exploration with light platforming & puzzle solving. The combat system is entirely puzzle based as well but can be a lot of fun when you get into. It's still been one of my favorite experiences in recent years though. The game is fantastically beautiful and there's so much charm in everything. The love from the developers really shines through. People writing this one off because it's not like 64 or The Thousand Year Door are really missing out on a fun adventure. While the combat isn't the RPG experience people have been wanting, it's definitely a unique puzzle experience and many times I found myself actually scratching my head at what the game threw at me. The boss encounters are quite fantastic as well for wrapping your head around.

8. Mario Party Superstars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTTZisOtX0

Remember how Super Mario Party came out? Yeah neither do a lot of people. So the devs decided to just go back to the classics and release a good game instead. Bunch of classic boards, loads of classic minigames, and an online mode that is surprisingly fantastic. Finally, in the year 2021, you can play a game of Mario Party online with friends or strangers. And it's all that familiar friendship ending bullshit you remember from your childhood! Any gripes I could mention are nitpicks at best. Here's hoping for some cool DLC for more awesome boards.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPldVCRo-g
Ah yes, here's a controversial one. Skyward Sword is a highly debated entry in the series and it was pretty infamously divisive on its original release. While the game still has many inherent flaws, from some very inconsistent pacing to an overuse of motion controls, the HD Remake helped to alleviate many of the trouble points the original had. What this game stumbles on in its pacing and mechanics though I feel it more than makes up for in the world exploration, dungeon design, and great character moments. This is truly one of my favorite Zelda experiences and I feel like it's an entry in the series that is well worth giving a try if you are willing to handle motion controls (or try out the alternate non-motion controls introduced in HD!). The Lanayru Desert is no poo poo one of the coolest locations in the series with lots of cool stuff happening and I'm sure many Zelda fans have at least heard of the Ancient Cistern for being one of the series best dungeons.

6. Life is Strange: True Colors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNt1aSkYfWk

Only just played this in the past few days since it was a Christmas gift and it was good enough to gently caress with my list. While I loved the first game of the series, Before the Storm was a much more conflicting experience with lots of missteps and writing I didn't jive well with. So when True Colors was announced as being made by the BtS dev Deck Nine instead of the Dontnod a lot of people were a little apprehensive, including myself. Thankfully the apprehension was unfounded. True Colors features a wonderful cast and beautiful setting. While the story doesn't really hit the same Oh poo poo Factor as the original game did I think they did a wonderful job at writing an engaging story that avoids the trap of going way too grimdark for its own good (which I hear is a huge problem with Life is Strange 2, a game I've yet to play). It definitely has some dark moments but it never loses that overall spark of hope.

Alex is a wonderful protagonist who is a bit shy & reserved at times but is also more than willing to put her foot down for herself or others. While I don't think anything will ever be as cool as time rewinding powers (because it's loving time travel), Alex's hyper empathy is pretty fun to explore as it doesn't just let her feel other people's strong emotions it lets her read their emotional thoughts as well. It's a cool thing that lets you get a fun deep glimpse into the people around town and the various major characters. It also leads to some very cool setpiece moments throughout the game. Probably the best moment is at the end where Alex confronts one of the major antagonists of the story and she reads him like a loving book, delivering a brutal The Reason You Suck Speech that completely shatters them to pieces. It really showcases how hyper empathy might not be as "cool" a power as time travel, it is no less potent a power to be able to stare right into someone's soul and see the worst parts of themselves that they don't even want to look at.

The game isn't terribly long, which is typical fare for this series, but it's very engaging with endearing characters and a good plot to get invested into. I'm already wanting to jump back in to redo some stuff through the chapters as well as snag the DLC.

5. Psychonauts 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBi9rqCZ4os

The original Psychonauts was quite the cult classic and people have been clamoring for a sequel for quite the number of years. To say that the sequel delivered on the expectations of fans after all those years is an understatement. The game is super vibrant and charming and is simply a joy to play and experience. Fans of the original will be in for an amazing journey and even if you've never played the original (but seriously, go play it, it's dirt cheap on a number of platforms these days) the game does a good job to give you the cliffnotes version of the plot to get you straight into the midst of it. The game is bursting at the seams with creativity and you can see the love and passion that was poured into it. Whether your a fan of the original already or just want a new platforming collector game to play, don't pass up this one.

4. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dOTCiez5I

Team up with the legendary Sherlock Holmes Herlock Sholmes!

It took way too many years but this two game series finally made it over to us to get localized in English. These games are a wonderful treat featuring an incredible cast of characters, genuinely fantastic mysteries and twists, and an overarching story that keeps you hooked in. No previous knowledge of anything else from the series is required so whether you are already a fan of Ace Attorney or just want some interactive visual novels to sink your teeth into these games are fantastic. Also worth saying that I've never really been all that into Sherlock Holmes stuff but this interpretation of him is genuinely incredibly entertaining and endearing.

3. Metroid Dread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edkzr1Z5seo

Classic Metroid finally gets a new game after way too many years. And it's fantastic! From the same people that made Samus Returns, a remake of Metroid 2 on the 3DS. If you enjoy the Metroid series or just the metroidvania genre in general this is absolutely worth playing. The game is gorgeous and most importantly Samus handles super responsively and piloting her to do all kinds of crazy maneuvers is always incredibly fun. The game also has a fantastic difficulty, always giving you a challenge but never feeling outright unfair or cheap. Do yourself a favor and instill yourself with a sense of dread.

2. Shin Megami Tensei V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYl58I5099Y

I couldn't decide if I wanted to put this on my list since I haven't finished it yet, due to XIV completely sideswiping it off the rails as soon as that came out. But ultimately I did dump a bunch of hours into it so far and was completely engrossed that whole time so it does deserve to be on this list. I've had very little complaints about this brand new entry in the series. The world is enthralling and quite fun to explore, the soundtrack is legendary, and most importantly it's more of that brutal SMT gameplay we all know and love. Tons of quality of life improvements over past games in the series across the board are icing on the very flavorful cake. Very much looking forward to getting back to this once I escape the iron grip of XIV.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTtd6bnhFs

How totally surprising, nobody else is putting this game on their top spot at all. What an underdog pick.

Yeah, yeah I know. But this game seriously is just incredibly. You've probably already heard all the rants from people around you like "just stick with it, it gets better!" and "you're missing out!" and all that. The only thing I'll say is that the XIV Story from A Realm Reborn (2.0) to Endwalker (6.0) is legitimately my favorite FF story in the series, above all the traditional single player entries. It is a massive undertaking and the start is definitely an incredibly slow burn but the payoff as you go further in is incredible. Some of my favorite characters from any RPGs, some of my favorite story moments, and lots of gorgeous places to explore and incredible set pieces to experience.

That said please do not try it. We are struggling and our servers are on fire. We can't fit anymore people in here it's insane.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 27, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Actually it sounds like it is my fault.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Perhaps it's the people who like FF14's fault :thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU