Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

That's not what "green magic" is in FF games (it's pretty much only in Ivalice games and it's protective magic like Protect, Shell, etc.), but I could see a Geomancer, though. People always mention the geomancy stuff in the AST quests but nobody can seem to agree on whether that means Geomancers will never be in FFXIV or not so I say gently caress it, add Geomancer. Geomancer's cool.

Honestly Geomancer would work just fine as an offshoot of conjuring. (Which is basically how it functions in those quests.) Any Geomancer would start at least at level 80 and by that time White Mage has gone full-on Holy Power so it wouldn't feel too weird to have a job that instead goes full on Nature Power. The only 'problem' would be that it's difficult to imagine it not as a healer based off what they already established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
A hammer class and the pre-order bonus is Nero's hammer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly Geomancer would work just fine as an offshoot of conjuring. (Which is basically how it functions in those quests.) Any Geomancer would start at least at level 80 and by that time White Mage has gone full-on Holy Power so it wouldn't feel too weird to have a job that instead goes full on Nature Power. The only 'problem' would be that it's difficult to imagine it not as a healer based off what they already established.

Maybe they could have decent healing capabilities like Red Mage has? It'd kinda take away some of Red Mage's uniqueness though. Or instead of healing, maybe some strong buffing/support capability, like a caster take on the Dancer "lower personal DPS but boosts others' DPS" thing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind if they instead just smoothed out the skill acquisition (aoe at 45? come on) or cleaned up the 1-50 stretch/tutorial instead.

More classes are cool too though

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

hazardousmouse posted:

ahahahaha oh no that soft rock song stays as the final zone theme even after the trial. I was expecting and hoping it was temporary

embrace the christian rock zone

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Maybe they could have decent healing capabilities like Red Mage has? It'd kinda take away some of Red Mage's uniqueness though. Or instead of healing, maybe some strong buffing/support capability, like a caster take on the Dancer "lower personal DPS but boosts others' DPS" thing.

It'd probably be OP as hell but it'd be interesting to see something like Leylines But For Other People. IIRC the quest even mentions them using leylines (as in the thing, not the BLM ability) so you could have them create patches of buff where the skill ceiling is learning when and where to use various patches both for your own DPS and for your party.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

That's not what "green magic" is in FF games (it's pretty much only in Ivalice games and it's protective magic like Protect, Shell, etc.),

Sages weren't drone commanders in previous games, either.

I want a nature magic class that isn't replaced by a generic holy priest at 30.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

1h axe geo or no geo :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They took all the dots from SMN so they can put them on Greenmage who will have small debuffs and dots.

acumen posted:

I wouldn't mind if they instead just smoothed out the skill acquisition (aoe at 45? come on) or cleaned up the 1-50 stretch/tutorial instead.

More classes are cool too though

Things die so fast from single target poo poo in the ARR level poo poo even with the stat crunch. Giving you aoe earlier would make getting them in roulette even more brain dead.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Detheros posted:

Ah, the other half of Botanist enters the ring

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Sages weren't drone commanders in previous games, either.

I want a nature magic class that isn't replaced by a generic holy priest at 30.

Well yeah, that's what Geomancer's for!

I'm biased, I've been rooting for Geomancer for ages

Detheros posted:

You'll wield a bell and wear pajamas and you'll like it :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't make me slap a fool if we start Geomancer chat again

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, a time caster in a pointy hat that shoots stars would step on astrologian's aesthetic a bit much. A melee bruiser with a big hammer and time-altering effects could be cool.

The comedy option is that they fork Time mage off Astrologan similar to the SCH/SUM split.

I'd dig a geomancer class, though I don't really know how you'd handle terrain specific attacks. I just want to ring my bell to ring the monster's bell.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Random 89 trial question: If you do it with trusts and have Urianger on dps what weapon does he use? Does he just go full AST deeps or something? I'm curious but don't have a healer high enough to check myself.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Harrow posted:

You'll wield a bell and wear pajamas and you'll like it :colbert:

Only if we both agree that it will be a physical damage class because that hippy poo poo ain't magic :colbert:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They should follow in GNB's shoes and give us another class you only saw in later games. Blitzball Player based entirely on Wakka, Mascot Suit class as an FFX-2 rep.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Random 89 trial question: If you do it with trusts and have Urianger on dps what weapon does he use? Does he just go full AST deeps or something? I'm curious but don't have a healer high enough to check myself.

From videos I've seen: he's basically a mini Summoner. Switches to a book and spams Ruin spells with the occasional Dreadwyrm Trance.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Insert name here posted:

I think he just leans harder on his trust exclusive abilites like how he'll just pitch around the death spell in dungeons

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Harrow posted:

From videos I've seen: he's basically a mini Summoner. Switches to a book and spams Ruin spells with the occasional Dreadwyrm Trance.
Lmao of course dat mfer would use a book

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Time for everyones favorite FF11 school of magic, brown magic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also don't think any previously-established Geomancer canon in FFXIV through the Astrologian job quests necessarily has to affect a potential future Geomancer job. After all, they added a totally different kind of gunblade and then came up with a backstory for gunblades (including the frankly hilarious and very good detail that they predate guns and in fact guns are named after gunblades) just so that Gunbreaker can be the Squall/Seifer job instead of using Garlean gunblades. They could easily come up with another branch of Geomancy that happens to be more suited to combat magic or something.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They took all the dots from SMN so they can put them on Greenmage who will have small debuffs and dots.

Things die so fast from single target poo poo in the ARR level poo poo even with the stat crunch. Giving you aoe earlier would make getting them in roulette even more brain dead.

Look I don't want to spend any more time in halatali than I have to. If it means my whole group can aoe down all that garbage instead of just the tank so we can move onto more interesting things, I'm gonna push for it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In terms of classic FF jobs, the ones we haven't gotten yet are:

Berserker (though Warrior fills this niche so hard we might as well)
Chemist (outside of the Alchemist crafter class)
Magic Knight
Mime (though Gogo shows up in the Blue Mage quests)
Time Mage
Hunter (But we already have a bow-focused class.)
Viking (Basically Warrior)
Necromancer
Canonneer (unlikely as hell)
Beastmaster/Mediator/Trainer/etc (Probably due for a Limited Job if anything.)
Oracle (probably too much overlap with Astro but maybe not?)
Geomancer
Calculator (Mathbot... THE CLASS)
Thief (Though again Ninja basically fills this role since it evolves from Rogue.)

I'm not sure if there are not any other 'big' ones that aren't variations on existing classes already (like one of the ten flavors of Holy Armored Knight or Bow-Wielding Sniper.) There are plenty of iconic characters-turned-classes they could go for, like SOLDIER or something based around Terra/Zidane/something where you can temporarily Trance into a more powerful mode like Reaper.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 17, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

They gotta work on getting people able to play before thinking of other classes

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Insert name here posted:

Lmao of course dat mfer would use a book

He was that before switching to his current job!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I just saw the most amazing thing. Deadbear Lakshmi in the overworld.

Of course she was rocking the level checker.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

In terms of missing weapons, we don't have anyone using maces or the like outside of pre-HW thaumaturge rods

Could have a scouting Skirmisher or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of classic FF jobs, the ones we haven't gotten yet are:

Berserker (though Warrior fills this niche so hard we might as well)
Chemist (outside of the Alchemist crafter class)
Magic Knight
Mime (though Gogo shows up in the Blue Mage quests)
Time Mage
Hunter (But we already have a bow-focused class.)
Viking (Basically Warrior)
Necromancer
Canonneer (unlikely as hell)
Beastmaster/Mediator/Trainer/etc (Probably due for a Limited Job if anything.)
Oracle (probably too much overlap with Astro but maybe not?)
Geomancer
Calculator (Mathbot... THE CLASS)
Thief (Though again Ninja basically fills this role since it evolves from Rogue.)

I'm not sure if there are not any other 'big' ones that aren't variations on existing classes already (like one of the ten flavors of Holy Armored Knight or Bow-Wielding Sniper.) There are plenty of iconic characters-turned-classes they could go for, like SOLDIER or something based around Terra/Zidane/something where you can temporarily Trance into a more powerful mode like Reaper.

My personal bet is they'll do a Sage and take a job and kind of make something completely new out of it.

That being said we do need a hammer wielding class at some point, dunno what it'd be tho

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm trying to think what weapons from the franchise haven't been used yet that they can use for new jobs.

Flails
Boomerangs
Bells
Brushes
Handbags

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm still all in on gunhammer

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You could take more inspiration from VIII and have a class that shoots dogs out of a crossbow at enemies

Naturally it's a healer class

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm trying to think what weapons from the franchise haven't been used yet that they can use for new jobs.

Flails
Boomerangs
Bells
Brushes
Handbags

Honestly the list is basically endless. This is the franchise where you can reliably beat people to death with a sports ball.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I just wanted to make a joke about the handbag weapons from fft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Melee staff would also be a fine choice.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Give me nunchucks. Make the enemy of the new expansion my dark garlean mirror wielding gun chucks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flails
Boomerangs
Bells
Brushes
Handbags

Looking forward to the blizballer class.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not nearly enough games have melee staff fighting so I would like that very much. The Monk job in FFXII uses melee staves (poles) and it's very cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They took the dots off of summoner to give them to time mage, and it'll be all about fast forwarding and rewinding your dots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clarste posted:

They took the dots off of summoner to give them to time mage, and it'll be all about fast forwarding and rewinding your dots.

You take one step forward…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Consummate Professional posted:

I just saw the most amazing thing. Deadbear Lakshmi in the overworld.

Of course she was rocking the level checker.

no way, i dont believe it.