Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Clarste posted:

They took the dots off of summoner to give them to time mage, and it'll be all about fast forwarding and rewinding your dots.

Love this, will be very disappointed when this isn't it.

E: Also yes on a nature caster. Eriether one would be legit

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Make Time Mage the druid job as an explanation for how they make their plant attacks grow instantly

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Sages weren't drone commanders in previous games, either.

I want a nature magic class that isn't replaced by a generic holy priest at 30.
Not to poo-poo your tastes, but calling WHM a "generic holy priest" is like calling BLM a "generic elemental mage" at least when you consider how long FF and White Mage has been around, it almost defines the archetype.

I personally love that WHM has evolved beyond through rocks. It's also neat that it kind of is not explicitly religious or faith-adjacent? It's just like, weird white magic and flowers.

But Wind and Earth magic do deserve a home. A nature magic is a niche the game could stand to fill.

Though, I find it neat your favorite? archtype is nature caster - one of my favorite RPG archtype is like, the techy class (Engineer) and after spending so long wishing I'd get one in WoW, XIV has delivered me three very fun ones. I hope you get yours soon.

e:

Clarste posted:

They took the dots off of summoner to give them to time mage, and it'll be all about fast forwarding and rewinding your dots.

Yeah, the Spell-in-Waiting stuff from Eden2 gave me big vibes as a potential for time magic mechanics.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 17, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oxyclean posted:

Not to poo-poo your tastes, but calling WHM a "generic holy priest" is like calling BLM a "generic elemental mage" at least when you consider how long FF and White Mage has been around, it almost defines the archetype.

I've played exactly two Final Fantasy games besides this one, and 'white mage' was only a thing in one of those two. :v:

And yeah, whenever I start up a new RPG, I almost always gravitate towards druid or ranger or shaman or the like as my first character. I love the nature hero archetype in fantasy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just based on number counts, wouldn't the next DPS job be ranged phys anyways? Unless they added 2 DPS in the same xpac again, which is certainly possible.

KoB
May 1, 2009
last two were melee and ranged, I bet next expansion is Caster/dex melee. No healer/tank like Stormblood.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One of the current magical ranged is Blue Mage.
It’s on the list but it’s a limited job.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Just based on number counts, wouldn't the next DPS job be ranged phys anyways? Unless they added 2 DPS in the same xpac again, which is certainly possible.

Trying to predict what roles are getting jobs next is kinda tricky. It seems like caster is likely in 7.0 just because it will have been two expansions without a new caster, but after that it's hard to predict. Would they add two ranged DPS jobs in the same expansion (a caster and ranged physical)? I'm guessing probably not. Would they add a melee DPS two expansions in a row? Will it be time for a fifth tank?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

S.J. posted:

I'd say next expansion is a safe bet for double dps jobs, assuming they don't decide to slow the pace to 1 job since they're getting a lot of upkeep.

Raw number counts, both RDPS and MDPS are at 3, unless you want to count BLU, which kind of doesn't. But we last got a caster dps in Stormblood, since then we've seen one of everything else, so it feels kind of due for a new one?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I do hope we get a second limited job at some point though. Beastmaster would be fun, especially, if they could go into some of the EW zones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They'll add a new class type, Ranged Melee.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We still need a second scouting job.

I'd like to see XIV's take on Beastmaster too for a limited.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pyro Jack posted:

Got ROG to 30 and unlocked NIN and did Satasha as an ARC so I could use Roulettes with it. I certainly did not expect that I ran into probably the most weirdest tank I've encountered.

Basically, the tank didn't respond in chat, moved in an incredibly janky manner, only use the single target attacks and even then, if it wasn't actually standing around while the rest of the party did the actual fighting. The only explanation was that it was a bot or something which is a rare thing to see considering it had an actual (but silly) name instead of a string of random letters and the fact that it showed up on a Duty at all. Anyway, the rest of the party (including me) voted the tank out and got another one that was an actual player and knew how to Tank. We've pretty much breezed past through Satasha with ease thanks to him.

There really are bots like that but they're supposed to be for doing the bare minimum to not get AFK-kicked in trusts while the NPCs do all the actual work.
Someone hosed up and accidentally joined a real DF with their trust-farming bot active.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I almost wish they could find an interesting solution to melee dps being split across 3 leftsides when every other role gets to share one.

You can't really give up aesthetics, but it does make it a bit annoying to gear up alts or swap.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Arisen_Gaming/status/1471517151878123520?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would Beastmaster be melee or ranged?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

Would Beastmaster be melee or ranged?

Yes

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Still praying for Geomancer

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Oxyclean posted:

I almost wish they could find an interesting solution to melee dps being split across 3 leftsides when every other role gets to share one.

You can't really give up aesthetics, but it does make it a bit annoying to gear up alts or swap.

You absolutely can and they should. There's already heavy armor for striking and scouting gear and light armor for dragoons, the split is meaningless.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
They should have Trickster from FFTA2. Maybe call it Gambler. I want a job that throws cards at people.

Also have the trainer be a bangaa

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

thetoughestbean posted:

They should have Trickster from FFTA2. Maybe call it Gambler. I want a job that throws cards at people.

They already have a sweet gambler outfit in the game!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

thetoughestbean posted:

Jester from FFTA

Job teachers are the jongleurs from Eulmore that somehow didn't turn into monsters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finished the Heavensward LTW quests with the help of a kind goon. Really, more sales meetings should involve a giant rampaging bear.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mystic Knight would be rad as hell for a DPS job. Having a melee fighter that imbues their weapon with various elements to do different things is a cool aesthetic to work with, although I suppose Red Mage somewhat does a little of that. We've seen Mystic Knight shenanigans in the game before though, from Warrior of Light EX where he'll imbue his sword with an element and it changes how the next attack behaves. Dunno what they'd do for weapon though since they typically just use swords.

Corsair has been tossed around a lot from FFXI fans. Could use a cutlass with offhand pistol and have some gambling flavor skills, otherwise maybe they work as the inverse of Red Mage and stay in melee but get a mobile ranged DPS burst window or something.

Geomancer is still on the top of my list of wants though. WHM has largely abandoned its roots in nature magic the past few expansions and there's certainly a gap in the job roster for that Druid archetype kind of thing. XI Geomancer was pretty interesting in that they had a lot of spells that could either be cast normally as single target affairs or be placed on the ground as AoEs that would pulse the effect. Either way though it's one of the last few holdouts of super classic FF jobs we don't have yet.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
how can you have a geomancer when conjurers and white mages know Stone

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Give me nunchucks. Make the enemy of the new expansion my dark garlean mirror wielding gun chucks.

We all know the Relic Weapon would be:

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 17, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Geomancers canonically know Stone too!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Begemot posted:

Jester from FFTA

Job teachers are the jongleurs from Eulmore that somehow didn't turn into monsters.

They died. You killed them in the Eulmore duty.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

They died. You killed them in the Eulmore duty.

it's a new set but the colors are swapped on who stands on the left and who stands on the right.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I want more stuff from FF6 so bring on the Pictomancer and Gambler.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My dream job is a Mystic Knight-like that uses Garlean technology that can be called something like Magitek Knight. Dual pistol Corsair would also be very cool.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't like this narrative that they have to stop selling the game because it's just so popular, when it's more that their login server is so badly coded that it has to throttle logins and randomly resets your connection every 15 minutes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zeruel posted:

The same way they gave Red Mage Lightning, Air, Earth and Fire magic. I don't doubt for a second they have some appropriate and esoteric suffix they can attach to "Stone"

Ibblebibble posted:

My dream job is a Mystic Knight-like that uses Garlean technology that can be called something like Magitek Knight. Dual pistol Corsair would also be very cool.
These are both rad ideas.

CJ posted:

I don't like this narrative that they have to stop selling the game because it's just so popular, when it's more that their login server is so badly coded that it has to throttle logins and randomly resets your connection every 15 minutes.
Except the game is still having these issues due to growth they couldn't scale fast enough to accommodate. It is very much the popularity that is bringing out the problems in the login server.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJ posted:

Even if their login server hadn't had the weird 1.0 error, having to wait in a queue for 3 hours before you can play is still an unpleasant situation for people with limited time in the evenings.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Oxyclean posted:

The same way they gave Red Mage Lightning, Air, Earth and Fire magic. I don't doubt for a second they have some appropriate and esoteric suffix they can attach to "Stone"

Quake and Tornado rather than Stone and Aero, it's already there

e: or just have it in japanese, or fake-sanskrit given that's what the geomancers in swallow's compass chant in

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 17, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

your point would make sense if the issue of literally just not having enough server space to accommodate the playerbase they already have in this new wave, let alone adding more. even if the queue system was absolutely flawless this would still be the core big issue that needs resolving. Hence the idea that it's too popular and growing faster than that can physically keep up with at the moment.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would be okay with a trickster job as long as the omega raid series is a prerequisite and the job npc is alpha

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If they only added one job in the next expansion I wouldn't be too upset. We have a shitload of jobs as it is. That said, two dps is what I'm hoping for, with one for sure being a caster. I don't care too much if we get another job for scouting sets or not; I'm mostly just surprised they never decided to merge scouting with aiming. Didn't they say at one point that they regretted adding a new armor type for ninja?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Hopefully we get something without elemental magic, even if it ends up excluding geomancer.

We currently have
Fire: BLM, RDM, SMN
Earth: CNJ, RDM, SMN
Water/Ice: BLM
Air/thunder: BLM, RDM, CNJ, SMN

Hmm, maybe a water mage of some sort, though that's fairly limiting.

My votes for new DPS would be

Esper (like Terra as someone already mentioned). An esper in FFXIV might be able to switch between aether and dynamis for unique effects.

Puppetmaster: uses your collected minions in some way. Probably a limited job like blue mage.

Assassin: Can perform different attacks based on distance from mob. Can quickly move around undetected like thancred in the EW solo duty. Uses throwing stars or kunai.

Someone said gambler already, which would be awesome. Uses dice or cards.

Something (anything) that casts confuse. It would be cool to have a mob change sides for a while or until it dies. Or paint a mob like Relm in FF6.

Chemist that throws potions on the ground for various effects. Can even combine AoEs. Ever play Guild Wars 2 where players can combo their skills? Something like that. Could also be the DoT job.

Hunter of some sort, since controllable pets were taken from SMN.

Edit: Even these might be too limiting. Whatever new job comes about needs 100 levels worth of skills and traits.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 17, 2021