Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Add gil betting to the mahjong tables in the gold saucer and then make "earn X million gil in high-stakes mahjong bets" a prereq for each gambler job quest. With ever increasing amounts of course.

If you go bankrupt you're forced to pawn your job stone and you can't raid until you earn the money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Personally I'm hoping for a STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN crossover event next year

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what if, and hear me out on this, we get a totally new kind of tank

a tank with positionals

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Since summoner stopped being the dot class I’m guessing the next caster might be a full dot class and geomancer fits both the elemental caster and the poison caster niche.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

blatman posted:

a tank with positionals

give it frontal positionals, specifically

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

After playing the melee dps role quests I want a duel pistol wielding gunslinger job like Merlwyb

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

blatman posted:

a tank with positionals

New tank: Ventriloquist.
You have to pick a non-tank partymate to project your voice from and they take all the boss aggro instead of you.
If you miss one of your positionals all your damage reduction buffs fall off and the DPS you chose instadies to the next boss autoattack

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So where does the Christmas event quest start at?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

central dogma posted:

We currently have
Fire: BLM, RDM, SMN
Earth: CNJ, RDM, SMN
Water/Ice: BLM
Air/thunder: BLM, RDM, CNJ, SMN

Hmm, maybe a water mage of some sort, though that's fairly limiting.

every time I see a post like this I want to resurrect and steal the "fleche and contre sixte are water and ice magic" bit that overtook the shadowbringers thread for a brief moment.

anyways water, ice, air, and thunder are all their own things, so we have one(?) water (NIN, suiton?), one ice (BLM), three air (RDM, CNJ, SMN), and two thunder (BLM, RDM). water is still most underrepresented; it's also the one with probably the least representation overall across all of FF as a franchise, so that tracks.

another scouting class, uses water, has access to status effects and dots...the signs all keep pointing to blitzballer.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 17, 2021

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

So where does the Christmas event quest start at?

Gridania amphitheater

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oxyclean posted:

I'd say next expansion is a safe bet for double dps jobs, assuming they don't decide to slow the pace to 1 job since they're getting a lot of upkeep.

Raw number counts, both RDPS and MDPS are at 3, unless you want to count BLU, which kind of doesn't. But we last got a caster dps in Stormblood, since then we've seen one of everything else, so it feels kind of due for a new one?

I literally loving forgot that dancer exists lmao

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Endwalker is the final and absolute confirmation that they do this based on mainstat first, then role, then armor type. In this sense, you should be counting ranged as 4 with ninja in there, because it's dex mainstat/aiming rightside, not just ranged-as-role. This puts melee (str) at 4, and caster at 3, so it's going to be a caster and one other DPS, because it's likely that the pattern is DPS+cycle, where the cycle goes dps-tank-healer.

Given that provides a one-expansion gap between times that a mainstat is added to, we can figure that 7.0 will add a caster and ranged, because melee is invalidated by reaper. If I'm wrong about the cycle, caster and tank.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

central dogma posted:

Assassin: Can perform different attacks based on distance from mob. Can quickly move around undetected like thancred in the EW solo duty. Uses throwing stars or kunai.

Weakly protests in NIN.

Valentin posted:

anyways water, ice, air, and thunder are all their own things, so we have one(?) water (NIN, suiton?), one ice (BLM),

Which by the way also has ice. No one actually uses Hyoton, but it's in there!

Actually now that I'm thinking about it giving Rogue a a branched path between NIN current and some sort of Yuffie-based giant shuriken ranged variation could be sort of neat.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i thought white mage was the water mage

divine benison, asylum, and the new plant thing all have very watery effects on them. aquaveil is a thing, fluid aura used to be a thing.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

theironjef posted:

Weakly protests in NIN.

Which by the way also has ice. No one actually uses Hyoton, but it's in there!

Uhh aren't the ice shurikens NINs most potent attack?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If anyone was wondering, you can solo ShB S-ranks as a 90 warrior.

Takes 45 minutes, but completely safe.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

GentlemanGiant posted:

Uhh aren't the ice shurikens NINs most potent attack?

Oh yeah! For some reason I had it in my head those were water shurikens. Ninja just does everything but air, I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

theironjef posted:

Oh yeah! For some reason I had it in my head those were water shurikens. Ninja just does everything but air, I guess.

They do air with the new Bunshin capper thing. You summon up a big gale and shoot your clone forward with it. Also Huton is wind themed, what with the animation and the meter being a big rear end pinwheel.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

theironjef posted:

That’s how they speed up

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

theironjef posted:

huton, huraijin and phantom kamaitachi would like to have a word with you

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mister Olympus posted:

Endwalker is the final and absolute confirmation that they do this based on mainstat first, then role, then armor type. In this sense, you should be counting ranged as 4 with ninja in there, because it's dex mainstat/aiming rightside, not just ranged-as-role. This puts melee (str) at 4, and caster at 3, so it's going to be a caster and one other DPS, because it's likely that the pattern is DPS+cycle, where the cycle goes dps-tank-healer.

Given that provides a one-expansion gap between times that a mainstat is added to, we can figure that 7.0 will add a caster and ranged, because melee is invalidated by reaper. If I'm wrong about the cycle, caster and tank.

It sounds like you're trying to make patterns out of a very limited history. What is the conclusive proof that they choose new classes based off their mainstat? If you have to declare that Ninja is a ranged class to fit this theory you probably need to start again.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

huton, huraijin and phantom kamaitachi would like to have a word with you

Fair, I'm still leveling through the 70s with mine. But come on, Huton and Huraijin are unaspected, they just look windy.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

theironjef posted:

Fair, I'm still leveling through the 70s with mine. But come on, Huton and Huraijin are unaspected, they just look windy.

i mean even before endwalker they still had a ninjutsu for every element. huton counts even if it doesn't deal damage

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The kanji for wind is in Huton.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

in other news, SCRAW

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

CJ posted:

It sounds like you're trying to make patterns out of a very limited history. What is the conclusive proof that they choose new classes based off their mainstat? If you have to declare that Ninja is a ranged class to fit this theory you probably need to start again.

Because they've always consistently added to the mainstat with the least representation, even when it meant that roles became overrepresented. The first instance of this before Reaper was Samurai, being the fourth melee added before a third ranged, which wouldn't make sense unless you view it as a third strength job added to balance out three of every other mainstat. Melee and caster also were the roles that had been the longest without an addition, which is the other part of the pattern. Between the two, you can see how 5.0 had to be (tank or healer)+ranged, and 6.0 had to be (other of tank or healer not in 5.0)+(melee or caster), which then leaves 7.0 as caster+(tiebreaker).

Basically, it goes like this:

1. always add things so that mainstats are balanced out

2. don't add the same role two expansions in a row

3. don't add a tank and healer in the same expansion (confirmed as word of yoshi-p in HW)

The only other thing that has yet to be confirmed as a pattern is how they handle tiebreakers and tank/healer spacing, which 7.0 will because they have no choice but to add a caster to bring everything up to 4 jobs per mainstat, then break the tie with whatever the second job is.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 17, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You have literally 4 datapoints that is nowhere near enough for a real reliable prediction

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

that's like saying "you can't prove the alliance raid will start in 6.1 and finish in 6.5, you only have five datapoints"

this game generally does content in predictable ways and on predictable schedules

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mister Olympus posted:

Because they've always consistently added to the mainstat with the least representation, even when it meant that roles became overrepresented. The first instance of this before Reaper was Samurai, being the fourth melee added before a third ranged, which wouldn't make sense unless you view it as a third strength job added to balance out three of every other mainstat.

Basically, it goes like this:

1. always add things so that mainstats are balanced out

2. don't add the same role two expansions in a row

The only other thing that has yet to be confirmed as a pattern is how they handle tiebreakers and tank/healer spacing, which 7.0 will because they have no choice but to add a caster to bring everything up to 4 jobs per mainstat, then break the tie with whatever the second job is.

Have you considered that they may have added Samurai in Stormblood because it was the expansion about fantasy Japan?

They probably just add what they think is cool with some consideration to what they role they haven't added in a while.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Samurai could have been a tank, and indeed almost was, because Dark Knight was originally conceived as Samurai, just like Machinist and Sage were separate attempts to try and make Chemist work. The fact that they almost added Samurai in the knights-and-dragons expansion, and at first considered it because it was one of the jobs the players wanted most, is relevant here too.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 17, 2021

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I still need to write up my thoughts on things but I can’t stop thinking about the Endwalker story. I loved Shadowbringers, but when it comes to story and theme, Endwalker is by far my favorite.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Waffleman_ posted:

They died. You killed them in the Eulmore duty.

The biggest tragedy of Shadowbringers is that the Jugglers didn't get the full final fantasy 9 treatment as coming back as horrible undead monstrosities.

Edit: speaking of another scouting armor user and ideas for another expansion job, maybe make a Corsair as a hybrid melee/ranged class that dual wields a pistol and a saber? Make them kind of monkish with a melee 1/2/3 and a ranged 1/2/3 that are interchangable and can link back and forth between the melee side and the gun side.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 17, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Failboattootoot posted:

You absolutely can and they should. There's already heavy armor for striking and scouting gear and light armor for dragoons, the split is meaningless.

Some split is going to happen no matter what, simply because NIN's primary stat is Dexterity while every other melee's is Strength. Of course, they could put both on a set, but they haven't done that since ARR and I don't see them going to go back to it.

Mister Olympus posted:

Endwalker is the final and absolute confirmation that they do this based on mainstat first, then role, then armor type.

There's no way they'd consider NIN grouping with the physical ranged DPS over grouping them with melee. Considering that every non-stat focused system that sorts classes/jobs into categories does so by role (party finder, duty roulette, party composition for extra stats, role quests, fight mechanics, the listing on the character screen), I'd say that's their primary way of sorting them, secondary being the armor group.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Kind of weird that we just killed those guys and then let all the other people in Eulmore off. I don't think they even did anything that bad compared to the citizens throwing their slaves off buildings and stuff. Kill jester, i guess.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJ posted:

Kind of weird that we just killed those guys and then let all the other people in Eulmore off. I don't think they even did anything that bad compared to the citizens throwing their slaves off buildings and stuff. Kill jester, i guess.

They were direct servants of Vauthry who enjoyed being absolutely awful and cruel when they could.

Anyway I reckon it’ll be tank+caster next expansion. Because from what I recall they regretted adding double DPS in Stormblood because of how it hosed up queue times for dps in duties.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

New tank: Ventriloquist.
You have to pick a non-tank partymate to project your voice from and they take all the boss aggro instead of you.
If you miss one of your positionals all your damage reduction buffs fall off and the DPS you chose instadies to the next boss autoattack

Call it mime, ship it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Hey Squeenix what this poo poo where are my bits that do a cool Nu Gundam wing when docked?

I was loving promised.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

just farmed out the 87 dungeon and I've fallen in love with the sage weapon that drops there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I heard everyone has been camping for mounts so I thought I would get in on the action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Tank role quest How come they didn't execute these tempered Moogles from Moogle Mog? I thought that was the done thing in ARR.