Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
By From standards, Archdragon Peak is incredibly fair and thoroughly signposted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, there’s some stuff like “go back to the tutorial level by doing a sequence of parkour tricks to find a key to the SM64 hidden dungeon” that’s maybe slightly less than intuitive but it’s believable that a lot of people unlocked it by accident by just remembering the statue at the end of the prison and doing the gesture there for shits and giggles.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is the kind of thing where I could imagine some people putting 2 and 2 together, but it's still extremely obscure. Like the fact that you get the gesture as a boss reward is a clue that it's important, but it's also extremely removed from where you actually use it so you'd have to remember that one conspicuous spot in the dungeon that seemed like it should have been important but wasn't. It's a very "thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters" kind of thing though, because there were probably a bunch of people trying random crap that never went anywhere since the game is loaded with areas that seem like they should be important but aren't, and it just happens that this one specific area actually was.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Try gesture
*Displays specific gesture*

Was a pretty obvious hint if you play online.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm really not enjoying the Ringed City. Going from the second bonfire to the swamp was a nightmare for me. No idea why, but those Ringed Knights (especially the ones with the polearms and the giant lion shields) are just kicking the poo poo out of me.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I'm really not enjoying the Ringed City. Going from the second bonfire to the swamp was a nightmare for me. No idea why, but those Ringed Knights (especially the ones with the polearms and the giant lion shields) are just kicking the poo poo out of me.

If you can cast hidden body I really recommend it for the Ringed City.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Oldstench posted:

If you have patience, they are slow to turn and very susceptible to backstabs.

But that is one brutal gauntlet between those bonfires.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That run from the 2nd bonfire through the stairs almost broke me, but I had completely missed the passage on the right hand side of the stairs that leads you to safety and let’s you drop down into the swamp from above. Just never noticed it until a goon pointed it out for me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That area is rough on a first time through just because it's not even 100% clear where the next bonfire is going to be. There are so many little side passages, and even if you do just go straight down to the swamp, you might not immediately spot the little path you need to go down to get to the bonfire, and screwing up at any point sends you way back to redo the whole gauntlet over again. Nothing in there is even individually that difficult to deal with, but attrition adds up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

War Wizard posted:

Try gesture
*Displays specific gesture*

Was a pretty obvious hint if you play online.

Even beyond it being pretty well spelled out, I have to stress the "by From standards" part because the average severity of gently caress you Dark Souls cryptic bullshit is greatly affected singularly by the existence of the Pickaxe in Dark Souls 2.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
all obscure dark souls bullshit rules. its like people trying to figure out a new MMO in the year 2001, only its now and it happens ever few years.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Unlocking the way to Archdragon Peak isn't too bad. Depending on what order you take things, the prison area is either the last or 2nd to last branch. There's a bunch of corpses there all sitting in the same pose and facing the same way, and usually a note or two if you're online saying "Try gesture" or "Secret ahead" too. Your first instinct is to run through your gestures and see if anything works, and sensibly you'll probably notice you don't quite have the right pose in your gestures.

John Murdoch posted:

Even beyond it being pretty well spelled out, I have to stress the "by From standards" part because the average severity of gently caress you Dark Souls cryptic bullshit is greatly affected singularly by the existence of the Pickaxe in Dark Souls 2.

I feel like that was more of a jokey easter egg, but then 2 has some rather absurdly convoluted stuff on its own main path like "Oh I guess I should use this rock I was handed to go wander around in the dead memories of those giants-turning-into-trees now???" and DS1 and Bloodborne have some very easy-to-miss areas that aren't anywhere near as well signposted as 3's.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This Midir fellow. I don't think I'm gonna be able to get him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Don't give up, skeleton!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Oldstench posted:

I thought that way too when I first got to him. Don't give up!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just remember, it's not hard, you just haven't learned the right way yet. Stay composed and correct your errors

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Just remember, it's not hard, you just haven't learned the right way yet. Stay composed and correct your errors

Yeah, Midir is a weird fight where you will start it off feeling like it's unwinnable bullshit but once you get the hang of what you need to do, it's actually one of the fairer fights in the game. The key thing is that positioning is really important to draw out the attacks you want. This is a thing in most boss fights but it's especially relevant for Midir because I think a lot of people try fighting him like Sif and get up under his legs and then they keep getting hit by attacks they can't see because the lock-on camera is useless when you're that close. The important thing to realize here - it's not the camera that's the problem. You are too close.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I would always beat Midir on each ng+, but it would take me a lot of tries. It's because I can never predict how to avoid the death laser. I tried all kinds of timing with my rolls, but I could never figure it out. It was just random luck each time.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

John Murdoch posted:

Holy poo poo I didn’t know about this, that’s wild.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can someone explain that reference? Why is the DSII Pick Axe so special?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

Can someone explain that reference? Why is the DSII Pick Axe so special?

From the wiki:
“ Brightstone Cove Tseldora, mini-quest: You must guide one of the boars from the Royal Army Campsite bonfire all the way down towards the end of the level, past the boss Magus & Congregation and across the spikes. On the room where you are ambushed by ceiling-spiders, right before the dark room with many spiderwebs, there are mushrooms in the middle that will be eaten by the pig, revealing the pickaxe.”

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Pestilent Mist will wreck him when placed right, otherwise if you're using weapons keep in mind that his healthbar sorta lies, about 3/4ths in he'll get knocked prone and the critical strike will end him.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bring Lightning Bundles, a good fire-resist shield, and beat his face in when you get the chance.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Don't bother with lightning buffs, they run out and then you risk getting wrecked when rebuffing.

Bring the hardest hitting weapon you got. Usually enogh time to do a single R2, but not two R1s.

Node posted:

I would always beat Midir on each ng+, but it would take me a lot of tries. It's because I can never predict how to avoid the death laser. I tried all kinds of timing with my rolls, but I could never figure it out. It was just random luck each time.

Wait for the fire to start burning out, then haul rear end towards Midir, up to the right side (your left) of his head. If you time it right, the straight beam will miss you, and when he does the beam sweep, it shoots over your head. You don't even need to roll through the fire.

Listen to this friendly German guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsUbOfrz0w&t=533s

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Don't bother with lightning buffs, they run out and then you risk getting wrecked when rebuffing.

There's a difference between Bundles and Resin. Bundles apply near instantly, only last 10 seconds, and provide more AR than Resin. You'll only have enough time to land 1, maybe 2 hits anyways and it does help get Midir to 25% faster. It's free damage.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

axolotl farmer posted:

Wait for the fire to start burning out, then haul rear end towards Midir, up to the right side (your left) of his head. If you time it right, the straight beam will miss you, and when he does the beam sweep, it shoots over your head. You don't even need to roll through the fire.

Listen to this friendly German guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsUbOfrz0w&t=533s

I'm always confused by these tactics because in my experience Midir is never, ever nice enough to do his laser attacks in this context. He always prefaces it with a swoop or a double charge or a tantrum to rush to the opposite side of the arena such that the lasers start flying well before any character could haul rear end to get back into close range.

Or at the very least, this specific laser attack is not the one I personally struggle with anyway.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 20, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Holy poo poo I finally loving did it! therefore Praise the Sun!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Holy poo poo I finally loving did it! therefore Praise the Sun!

Fine work, skeleton!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gael...has too much hp. This poo poo is getting old. I can get to his second state reliably usually without getting hit, but drat he just keeps throwing poo poo at me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you'll get him tomorra

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Gael is easier than Midir. You're already over the hill

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oldstench posted:

Gael...has too much hp. This poo poo is getting old. I can get to his second state reliably usually without getting hit, but drat he just keeps throwing poo poo at me.

Poison.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I've found Gael is most fun with two summons. His extra hp usually guarantees at least one person will die and you get to see his attacks instead of just dodging them. It's one of the few boss fights that stays really tense even with help.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Gael is a lot like Nameless King. Nothing he does is too hard to read, so avoiding his attacks isn't typically very hard, but he has a lot of health, so it's just a marathon to wear him down and trying to avoid making mistakes enough that you don't run out of estus. It is a bit tricky to completely avoid his attacks in the second phase because the trails make the dodge timing a lot tighter, but the trails themselves don't do a ton of damage so it's usually okay if you can't 100% dodge reliably. So long as you can avoid the primary attack consistently you should be able to weather the damage if you were a bit too early to avoid the trail as well. He doesn't have any moves that will combo you so if you catch a hit you can still dodge the followups.

I do get that feeling of "these boss fights are way too long" though. Seems like that was the approach for a lot of the DLC bosses. I don't mind them so much now after having gotten used to them, but when I was first running through them, the length of the fights was very frustrating because I'd have to burn through two whole phases just to get a chance to see the one new move that was going to kill me on this attempt.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 21, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I double summoned two NPCs for Gael and it was a suitably epic experience with lots of cool anime lightning battles

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Finally got Gael. I'm now able to no hit is first phase 95% of the time and his second phase about 50% of the time. I'm so glad the DLC is over - they're loving meat-grinders.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I've only recently started playing this game. Made a few different characters to try out things. But I have to say, starting as a Knight, choosing a balanced build, and getting the Hollowslayer Greatsword early (as well as a Heavy Infused Claymore as a backup), really smashes this game a bit. I was going to make a build centered around Vordt's Mace, but drat, these weapons are just too good to pass up. The preponderance of early-game Hollow mobs allows you to just shred through them with ease using the HSGS. I might go for a refined gem later on for the Claymore, but so far Heavy has really been worthwhile. I am going to attempt the Dancer early on. Don't know if this weapon will be good vs her, but I am willing to give it a go. If I suck at trying to kill her, I'll just go back to normal levelling.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The knight starting class has like a 5x easier early game than any other option, yeah. It's a bit ridiculous. Your opinion of dark souls 3's difficulty will be heavily influenced by if you just so happened to pick/not pick the default class.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A strat for early Dancer that I have never tried myself is to murder Yuria of Londor for the Dark Hand (or buy it from her). Dancer is very weak to dark damage, but you need to be real close for it to hit.

Yuria can be cheesed by running just outside Firelink, she won't take a step outside. Then shoot her with arrows/spells/pyro, or just run up and whack her and run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

axolotl farmer posted:

A strat for early Dancer that I have never tried myself is to murder Yuria of Londor for the Dark Hand (or buy it from her). Dancer is very weak to dark damage, but you need to be real close for it to hit.

Yuria can be cheesed by running just outside Firelink, she won't take a step outside. Then shoot her with arrows/spells/pyro, or just run up and whack her and run away.

I always run her around the bonfire, with a weapon longer than hers. She gets stuck on the bonfire easily, and you can just poke away.