Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sanschel posted:

When we saw Eternals, the three other people in the theatre left the instant the credits popped up and I will never not be bewildered by how people haven’t gotten the memo on the movie not being 100% over by that point.

maybe they just really hated the movie and wanted out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Folks in the know: Am I supposed to stay until the very end of the credits on this one in order to see all the post-credit sequences?

Sorry, I think this thread is my best chance to look this up without over-exposing myself to movie details until Saturday.

There is one mid-credit sequence and there's a trailer at the very end of the credits.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Yes, but really, what was the last Marvel Studios movie to have a mid-credits scene but no post-credits scene? afaik there hasn't been one in a while, though Infinity War only had the latter and of course Endgame had neither

Eh, Homecoming as well, it had a scene but it was just a little joke. Ant-Man and the Wasp kind of the same.

Thank you all for your responses!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MCU used to do the ‘essential’ scene midcredits and a little jokey one at the end.

These days they seem to do one for the sequel of the movie you just saw mid, and one for the wider MCU at the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Eternals credit scenes were probably the worst Marvel has done in a long time

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Some people I know bail on Marvel movies after the mid-credits since the post credits stuff always ends up on youtube immediately so there's no reason to stick around. Marvel movies are made by a small city's worth of people so I can get not wanting to wait it out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maduo posted:

Some people I know bail on Marvel movies after the mid-credits since the post credits stuff always ends up on youtube immediately so there's no reason to stick around. Marvel movies are made by a small city's worth of people so I can get not wanting to wait it out.

Yeah this was me and my friend at Shang-chi. Which was a shame cuz we both liked Xialing a lot

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

So, just managed to find my way home after No Way Home.

I liked it. It's not the best of the Spider-Man films of course, I would put Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and Spider-verse above it, but it's probably the best of the MCU Spider-Man films. It's also the darkest of the MCU Spider-Mans, and I think genuinely does some interesting things especially in regards to where it ends up.

Disorganised thoughts:
-The villains are a joy. The big criticism is that Ock and Goblin's more complex characterizations have to be simplified somewhat in such a busy film, but they are attune to what came before, and Dafoe especially gets to be a real evil piece of poo poo. Electro is an improvement over ASM2 and Lizard is given a bit of a comedic angle, but he was barely a character in ASM so those changes are for the better. Sandman's arc gets a little short-changed, he goes from hero back to villain a little too sharply perhaps but it works well enough.

-Maguire and Garfield are an absolute delight. I didn't care for the ASM films, for many reasons but in part due to how unlikeable Garfield's Peter is, but in this he is wonderful, and it makes me mourn for what could have been. Maguire's take on an older, wiser and more mellow Peter is heart-warming. There's a zen like sense of peace with him that you know has only been reached through years of hardship. It's a lovely way to catch up with him. Both are in it just enough, there's plenty of banter to be had between all three Spider-Men, and it's a great send-off for Maguire and Garfield who both were denied a solid conclusion.

-In terms of film-making, this has that synthetic unmoored camera feel that a lot of the MCU has, but the action is still a lot of fun. This is not gonna change the minds of anyone who doesn't like how the MCU films feel but I do feel they manage to give us a fair few arresting images. One oddly notable thing is they quite blatantly reuse shots from Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man when both Sandman and The Lizard turn back into human form. It's really odd. It will feel very cheap to people who recognise those shots.

-Holland's Peter goes through some real hardship. For those who don't like the erasure of Ben from the MCU No Way Home pretty much confirms it by making Aunt May into Uncle Ben. It's an odd choice to have Peter's defining moment of tragedy happen years into his career as Spider-Man when it should be the thing that starts his career. But she makes a better Ben substitute than Iron Man. I still think removing that tragedy from the previous films has given Holland's Peter a damaging lack of motivation BUT the way this film ends hits the right notes of Parker sacrifice for me.

-There's a bizarre dedication to Avi Arad in the end credits. At a guess I'd wager that he was kept off this film by Feige or someone and in order to placate him they agreed to the dedication. But who knows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Double post because I went to see No Way Home (braved a matinee showing, figured working from home means less daily risk kinda even things out)

Overall I enjoyed it but it has the problem any superhero movie has with multiple villains like this, where it's kind of overstuffed and things never fully get a chance to breathe.

That said, I liked basically all the 'guest stars', and the small but excellent moment with Daredevil was great and highlights how good Cox is in the role. Dafoe and Molina elevate their material and honestly, the final moment with Electro actually kinda got me, so good work to Foxx. The other Spideys were good, with Maguire actually standing out by him and the script parlaying his 'gosh gee whiz' aspect into more of like a glass-half-full version of Peter B from Spider-Verse.

Of two minds about killing May off. On the one hand, it's an interesting flip to have her be the one to give the great power line (and a very, very weird thing to say in the movie that that's the reason she died) but I do think Peter having loved ones is like the only thing that makes the secret identity thing worth it and cutting him off from that is a very odd choice, even if it is very in character/appropriate given the plot.

I wasn't prepared for how much seeing Holland in The Suit would make me smile

Oh, and the supplement plug gag from Jameson made me howl. Just pitch perfect understanding of what that kind of content is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked No Way Home. Garfield got a very good showing in particular. That said, not a fan of erasing pretty much all of the previous MCU Spider-Man stuff in terms of character relationships. Don't like reset button endings very much.

The Venom scene in the post-credits was enough of a delight to make me want to see those movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

That said, I liked basically all the 'guest stars', and the small but excellent moment with Daredevil was great and highlights how good Cox is in the role.

I wasn't prepared for how much seeing Holland in The Suit would make me smile

Questions:

- What is DD’s actual role in the film? Leaks seemed to indicate he’d only be showing up as Matt to give Peter legal advice, and never actually be in the suit onscreen.
- What’s The Suit?
- Is May the only person who dies? They apparently filmed death scenes for just about every character in order to throw off leakers and have the option to mess with the ending in editing if needed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Questions:

- What is DD’s actual role in the film? Leaks seemed to indicate he’d only be showing up as Matt to give Peter legal advice, and never actually be in the suit onscreen.
- What’s The Suit?
- Is May the only person who dies? They apparently filmed death scenes for just about every character in order to throw off leakers and have the option to mess with the ending in editing if needed.

Yes, it's a one scene cameo with Matt in the Parker kitchen explaining he's managed to get the charges against Peter and May dropped but that Happy may still have some questions to answer. Then some pro-Mysterio jerks throw a brick through the window, Peter's about to block it due to Spider-Sense, but Matt's closer and catches it without even turning around. His excuse? "I'm a really good lawyer"

The Suit is literally the Spider-Man suit. No embellishments or Stark stuff. The end of the film has Peter making his own basic version of the classic Ditko design and going swinging.

Yes, May is the only one. They fake out that Maguire-Spidey might, but he seems wounded but fine by the time they all get sent back to their worlds. Oh, and arguably they try to fake out with MJ but it's blatantly there to pay off Garfield-Spidey's arc.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, anyone hoping for Daredevil to mix it up in the final fight or have some action is going to be dissapointed. It is a cute cameo. No more, no less. There's really no other space for him as this film is already bursting at the seams. That said, with everything else going on in Marvel land there is no doubt we'll be seeing Murdock again.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NWH stuff:

Has this been the most leaked/spoiled movie of all time or what? It doesn't seem like anything was a secret.

Anyway, I like the film but I don't know how I'm going to feel about it as it ages. On one hand I like that we actually got to spend a lot of the film with Peter's identity being public. I was really concerned that we'd be spending only a small part of the film with Peter being public and the spell would "work" but then multi-verse shenanignas.

Maybe it is because I've marathoned the Raimi, Webb, and Spider-verse films recently but I feel like all of the "other" characters were given just enough to not feel completely superfluous. Nothing extraordinary, but enough that each actor got something to work with.

I swear there was some re-use of some of Sandman and Lizard' actual actor footage from previous films. Maybe their actors weren't available? Most of their scenes were CG anyway so it isn't like they were needed on the set.

I'm kind of disappointed we're probably not going to see any more of the stuff the previous MCU films built up to. Tinkerer, Toomes, Scorpion, Venom (?) are all out there but have no tie to Spidey anymore and are just going to be some random bad guys if they ever show up again. So I don't know, I'm kind of disappointed. I really wanted Toomes to come back to have a rematch with Spidey rather than get buried in a terrible Morbius film no one will see

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AngryBooch posted:

Folks in the know: Am I supposed to stay until the very end of the credits on this one in order to see all the post-credit sequences?

Sorry, I think this thread is my best chance to look this up without over-exposing myself to movie details until Saturday.

You don't need to stay until the very end. It's a trailer. You can leave after the first credits scene and got a jump on everyone heading to the can or the exit.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I swear there was some re-use of some of Sandman and Lizard' actual actor footage from previous films. Maybe their actors weren't available? Most of their scenes were CG anyway so it isn't like they were needed on the set.

Yeah, there definitely was. They reused the bit where Sandman melts in 3 for when he is cured. Same with Lizard. That was such a bad choice imo, it made it feel briefly like one of those fan edits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's great being able to see the movie early but now the bad part where I have to wait for my friends to catch up. But I don't know how people are going to avoid spoilers by this time next week, there are so many things that happen in this film, at least some of them are going to become widespread knowledge quickly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just realized something super weird related to NWH: If Morbius takes place in the Venom Sonyverse, then why is Toomes apparently in it? If it's not, why does Morbius know who Venom is?

Anyway, more thoughts: The Spider-Man vs. Doctor Strange fight was really excellent, especially the part where he's fighting the Cloak of Levitation while stuck between two portals. Still really appreciate that the core plot is about saving the villains, though it did really stick out to me that Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and the Lizard's original stories in those films were "a science experiment gone wrong made me evil now" instead of giving them any kind of compelling motivation.

In terms of crowd reaction, they obviously lost their loving minds when Garfield showed up, and again for Maguire, but also they really loved ASM-Spidey's "redemption" when he caught MJ. Also, while I was definitely expecting some loud cheers if
Charlie Cox did indeed appear, it honestly caught me a bit off guard just how unanimous it was. Nothing against Charlie Cox or Daredevil, just that it's been a few years since that show ended and I wasn't sure the extent to which people really still knew or cared about it outside of online spaces dedicated to talking about comic book movie minutia.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 17, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lobok posted:

It's great being able to see the movie early but now the bad part where I have to wait for my friends to catch up. But I don't know how people are going to avoid spoilers by this time next week, there are so many things that happen in this film, at least some of them are going to become widespread knowledge quickly.

Oh, absolutely. During my ride home "Endgame" was trending on Twitter and the very first tweet was someone intentionally spoiling the movie for people.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I enjoyed NWH.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Uh, about the end people still know Spider-Man exists, they just forget that Peter Parker Exists. As far as the MCU is concerned, Spider-Man fought Vulture and Mysterio, and helped defeat Thanos, but no one knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man anymore. So everything that's happened involving Spider-Man still happened. At the end, JJJ is straight up saying "spider-man destroyed the Statue of Liberty!"

But that was real good, it was like a big team up story. Plus its a reset of MCU Spidy, no more Stark backing, no more tons of superpowered friends, he's back to square one.

My theater popped for Matt, big cheer for Garfield, and HUGE cheer when Toby showed up.

Really good versions of the villains It was great having Spider-Man fight his classic villains without long setups. And even thought there were many, it still felt like each had something to do and didn't just exist in the film to get punched. Their motivations at the end made sense, and it was REALLY nice to see Doc Ock as a good guy at briefly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As a lifelong Spidey fan it was cool to get a personal shoutout:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That was really, really good. :unsmith:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I haven't been in a theater since Rise of Skywalker annoyed me, so the collective gasp that went up when Charlie Cox popped up was really something. Same for Garfield, much more than I would have thought. Which is good because I always thought he was a good Spidey and a lovely Parker thanks to the script.

I'm also glad the door is open for an MCU Venom separate from the Sonyverse version because I loving hate Sony's version.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a big laugh out of Garfield saying No Big Deal

Also post credits sequence gives us the first shots of America Chavez who I'm SUPER excited to see. Kate, Yelena and America together on a team, inject that poo poo straight into my veins and let me freebase it. Also I'm not 100% sure that the other Strange is the one from What If, but its possible. Though the room he is in looks a lot like the room HWW was chilling in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I haven't been in a theater since Rise of Skywalker annoyed me, so the collective gasp that went up when Charlie Cox popped up was really something. Same for Garfield, much more than I would have thought. Which is good because I always thought he was a good Spidey and a lovely Parker thanks to the script.

I'm also glad the door is open for an MCU Venom separate from the Sonyverse version because I loving hate Sony's version.

About the second thing, I don't get why he was there...?

I thought only people who knew Spider-Man was Peter Parker were brought into the MCU world because of the spell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

About the second thing, I don't get why he was there...?

I thought only people who knew Spider-Man was Peter Parker were brought into the MCU world because of the spell.

Because the Venom Hive Mind knows Peter Parker is spider-man

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

Because the Venom Hive Mind knows Peter Parker is spider-man

As in the pan-universal hive mind sharing knowledge about Tobey Maguire Spider-Man?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I got a big laugh out of Garfield saying No Big Deal

Also post credits sequence gives us the first shots of America Chavez who I'm SUPER excited to see. Kate, Yelena and America together on a team, inject that poo poo straight into my veins and let me freebase it. Also I'm not 100% sure that the other Strange is the one from What If, but its possible. Though the room he is in looks a lot like the room HWW was chilling in.

Post credits stuff:

The leaks have said that is indeed Supreme Strange from What If.

As for NWH:

I didn't expect the movie to be this good and have so much heart. Even though it has a ton of people in it, it's still Holland's film and is fantastic for when it calls for him to be devastated and also that scary version of Spider-Man you sometimes see in the comics. The one where you know you're hosed because he isn't joking around and could murder you without much effort.

I liked that they set up Garfield for some redemption as well. Not only with saving MJ, but for his movies not being the greatest. He got a lot of time to shine and I really hope we can see him back as Spider-Man again. I think this was a good send-off for Tobey, though he'd be welcome as an older Spider-Man if they wanted to do a Spider-Girl movie or something.

Molina and Foxx were both good, and it was fun to see a good version of Doc Ock. But drat, Dafoe was absolutely incredible. You really felt bad for his Norman, and then when he went crazy as Goblin, he was terrifying. That smile when he was punched and took more and then kicked Holland's rear end was something else. Just a great performance.

My theater went crazy for Matt, then doubly so for Garfield and Tobey. Super loud reactions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Something about this movie didn't connect with me and I didn't really enjoy it that much. I know I'm going to be in the super minority on that. Maybe a rewatch will change it but the majority of it just really missed with me. That being said, where it ends for Peter and what it sets up has me very much looking forward to the next Spider-Man movie.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I'm gonna try to avoid spoilers even though I know it's gonna be futile. But I've seen it mentioned that there is a trailer at the end of the credits - am I correct in assuming that if I were to watch it, it would spoil major plot points of No Way Home?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

I'm gonna try to avoid spoilers even though I know it's gonna be futile. But I've seen it mentioned that there is a trailer at the end of the credits - am I correct in assuming that if I were to watch it, it would spoil major plot points of No Way Home?

No, the trailer doesn't spoil NWH.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I never watched the ASM movies and I really don't want to. How much does the movie rely on having seen them?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arist posted:

I liked No Way Home. Garfield got a very good showing in particular. That said, not a fan of erasing pretty much all of the previous MCU Spider-Man stuff in terms of character relationships. Don't like reset button endings very much.

The Venom scene in the post-credits was enough of a delight to make me want to see those movies.

I don’t think it actually reset it so much as cleaned it up because drat rewatching far from home I was kinda annoyed with how much tech and crap Peter gets. Especially after back to backing the Raimi and Webb movies. Im not a comic guy and I never will be but Spider-Man should be down on his luck and struggling and you don’t get that.

Someone mentioned it in the cined thread that the reason Peter is kind of a idiot in all the movies and causes his own issues every time he he wants to have his cake and eat it too is because he never had the “uncle Ben” moment. Through all these movies he never learned the most important lesson. And at the end when he walks away and loses everything in order to protect the people he loves and the lives he destroyed, he essentially and finally grows.

And the more I think about the ending the more it ties the film together in a cool way and makes kind of better to me after the fact.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamesman posted:

I never watched the ASM movies and I really don't want to. How much does the movie rely on having seen them?

Enough. But if you don’t care you won’t care

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I fuckin loved it. That is all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Almost cried a couple times.

Never even seen the ASM movies, but the MJ catch almost wrecked me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To the person who asked if this movie relies on seeing the ASM movies:

It doesn't. The major takeaways are things mentioned in the film.

I didn't quote your post because even answering the question is a spoiler in and of itself.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Molina/Maguire reunion with the score is so god drat moving.

Really they did both older Peters so well, it was as touching as Spider-Verse but with the years of nostalgia behind it.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Dave posted:

The Molina/Maguire reunion with the score is so god drat moving.

Really they did both older Peters so well, it was as touching as Spider-Verse but with the years of nostalgia behind it.

I actually really liked the music. I felt like the score really started to embrace the Raimi score with its vocal choir-esque stuff when all three Spider-Men were available