Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

El Grillo posted:

Pretty sure both your posts contain a big spoiler from the book that is likely to be shown at some point in the TV show so... maybe don't?
Unless I'm misinterpreting the rules here

I'm happy to edit my post to remove a spoiler, but what exactly do you think is a spoiler in my post? I'm pretty sure everything I've mentioned is shown in the episode, beyond the one thing I noted as having been in the trivia notes. You can PM me the information, if you don't want to post it for obvious reasons. That aside, X-Ray bonus information:

Some bios for new characters:

Amazon Prime X-Ray posted:

Lady Amalisa Jagad

Actress: Sandra Yi Sencindiver

Nationality: Shienaran
Talent: Channeling

Amalisa Jagad is the Lady of Fal Dara. She showed some talent at channeling when she was a child, and she trained at the White Tower; though she never became an Aes Sedai. She now does most of the governing of Fal Dara, while her brother Agelmar concerns himself with the defense of the city.

Lord Agelmar Jagad

Actor: Thomas Chaanhing

Nationality: Shienaran
Talent: Military Tactics

Agelmar Jagad is the Lord of Fal Dara, and his banner is three running foxes. He is considered one of the greatest commanders in the Borderlands, defending the most important strategic point in Shienar: Tarwin's Gap. Agelmar rules with his sister Amalisa.

Min Farshaw

Actress: Kae Alexander

Nationality: Andoran
Talent: Foretelling

A young soothsayer, living in Fal Dara. Not much is known about Min's origins. She has worked in bars and inns all across Andor and The Borderlands, but it is known by the Aes Sedai that Min has an unusual gift: she can see the future. When she looks at a person, she will sometimes see visions of what might become of them. These visions are often vague and metaphorical, but they have yet to be wrong. Despite the White Tower's awareness of Min's gifts, she has been allowed the freedom to go about the world and find her own path. Although, not without the Blue Sisters keeping a close eye on her.

The actual trivia:

• The Battle of the Shining Walls, or the Blood Snow, was the final battle that ended the Aiel War. The war began after the abandonment of a 400-year truce between the Aiel and the Cairhien. The fighting lasted a little over two years, ravaging the Westlands and eventually ending near Tar Valon when the king of Cairhien was finally killed for his sins against the Aiel and breaking the truce.
  • The Ways were created during the Age of Legends with its passages connecting the many Ogier Steddings. Accessible by Waygates, the Ways is a vast ocean of pitch black, scattered with islands and bridges. By using the Ways, one can travel across a continent in a days' time.
  • For mysterious reasons, the Ways are completely dark. It is said that the Ways were once filled with light and lush vegetation, making it a paradise for the nature loving Ogier. Fruit trees and flowers were always in season and blooming; there was always food for those traveling through the Ways.
  • Since there are many different paths a traveler might take to get to a specific location, a 'Guiding Stone' provides direction and helps navigate the various options. There is always one just beyond sight of the Waygate after entering.
  • Some believe the Ways have long since been abandoned because of the appearance of Machin Shin, the Black Wind that lurks in the darkness and consumes the sanity of the living.
  • Islands and bridges are suspended in the black void of the Ways. Many people who have travelled the Ways feel unnerved by the bizarre nature of the place, feeling the constant shift of what was once above and is now below.
  • Fal Dara is a walled fortress city at the northern edge of Shienar. Sharing a border with the Blight, it is the first line of defense against Trolloc hordes. With Tarwin's Gap to the north, Fal dara sits at a bottleneck, where the Trollocs must pass before spreading across the lands.
  • A Waygate can be permanently locked, but most Ogier hesitate to tell the secret of how.
  • Women who are not strong enough to pass the Aes Sedai test are sent away from the Tower. There are many different reasons this might happen: some lack strength in the One Power, some refuse to take the test for Sisterhood and some fail the test.
  • The ability to read the Pattern is rare, allowing the Seer to get glimpses of auras or images around an individual. Sometimes a Seer is able to interpret the images and other times the meaning is unknown until after an event occurs.
  • Moiraine and Lan first met travelling after the Battle of the Shining Walls. Neither seemed to like the other very much initially; Lan tossed Moiraine into a pond, and in retribution Moiraine caused ants to attack Lan in the night.
  • The Seven Towers of Malkier once stood as a great bulwark against the Trollocs of the Blight. For generations, Malkieri warriors stood strong against the Dark One's forces, but with the Blight spreading every day, it was only a matter of time before they were overrun. Eventually, Shadowspawn invaded Malkier and the Seven Towers fell. The once proud Malkieri became refugees, settling in the nearby borderlands.
  • Tam al'Thor left the Two Rivers as a young man and joined the army of Illian. He eventually gained the rank of Second Captain of the Companions; an elite troop within the Illianer army. He had great skill with the sword, earning the heron mark on his blade, which honors him as a blademaster.
  • The Blight is a massive expanse of land to the North of the borderlands. It is home to the Trollocs, Myrddraal and all servants of the Dark. Filled with twisted jungles and ash-covered plains, the Blight is the most dangerous place in all of the Wstlands. Here, the corruption of the Dark One has seeped into every insect, animal and plant. The air itself is unsafe to breathe for too long.

I will say, that last note is slightly confusing, given the information the show has given so far in a way I don't think it's actually meant to be, because it just seems weird to hold back this information. I'll spoil it just in case, but it's only a clarification over a name that's unimportant on the whole. Which is to say that Myrddraal is another name for a Fade.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"Hey man, where are you going?"
"Through the blight to the eye of the world to confront prime evil from its heavily armed fastness"
"How many arrows are you going to bring?"
"I dunno, like seven?"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So how’s fain opening the waygate?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

a little too much tactical spinning in this intro

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

There is a reason the Aiel call it dance the spears. Its all anime and was something that sounded cool in writing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I look forward to whatever project Barney Harris gets cast in for on TubiTV alongside Denise Crosby and the lawyer that wasn't Markie Post from Night Court.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nitrousoxide posted:

This same question was brought up in the book thread and people keep smugly posing a shot that wasn’t in the episode so :shrug:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This same question was brought up in the book thread and people keep smugly posing a shot that wasn’t in the episode so :shrug:

Yeah the book thread doesn't know either outside of that shot and what happens in the books. Crazy!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

There was very little in there that wasn't perfect actually, and drastically better fighting than 99% of the GOT sword fights. Stunt woman/actor had solid training with spears/staffs, and spacing was great. Very well thought out, not a ton of fluff there at all.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

You'll have to WAFO on Fain.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

LionArcher posted:

There was very little in there that wasn't perfect actually, and drastically better fighting than 99% of the GOT sword fights. Stunt woman/actor had solid training with spears/staffs, and spacing was great. Very well thought out, not a ton of fluff there at all.

the dudes jogging up to a woman in labor swinging two spears around not defending themselves in any way to get spat on a spear was not perfect and worse than anything I remember from GoT

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

there is just no subtlety to any part of the script. im allergic to this queeny theater kid melodrama. im disappointed because for a few episodes I thought this would be something I would actually like on its own merits and could recommend to people.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who is Padan Fain?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is Padan Fain?

He's the peddler from the first episode that buys the stolen thing from Mat. And then you later see him in the background of a few other episodes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is Padan Fain?

For twelve years you have been asking…

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay just making sure.

Also everyone in this cast is so drat hot. I want to see them all kiss.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay just making sure.

Also everyone in this cast is so drat hot. I want to see them all kiss.

When Perrin and Rand were confronting each other over Egwene in this episode I was definitely thinking "now kiss". Or rather, "now kith" because I can't help but think it in a bad Mike Tyson voice after some comic or something I saw years ago with him saying that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CainFortea posted:

He's the peddler from the first episode that buys the stolen thing from Mat. And then you later see him in the background of a few other episodes.

I hate that I missed this do you have screenshots?

El Grillo posted:

Ah yeah it was just the first person's post, there is something in there which is from the books but hasn't been seen/said in the show yet I think? Possibly a big spoiler, I think someone mentioned they're likely to show it next episode

everything in that post has been seen on the show (mostly today's episode) except one thing which is in the bonus content (and also might have been mentioned on the show but I don't remember) that had already been released prior to this week

e: also this episode was excellent and my only complaint is just a continuation of last week's (and I see others have started picking up on wondering why they did it even if for different reasons)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 17, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

the dudes jogging up to a woman in labor swinging two spears around not defending themselves in any way to get spat on a spear was not perfect and worse than anything I remember from GoT

turn on your tv next time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

IcePhoenix posted:

everything in that post has been seen on the show (mostly today's episode) except one thing which is in the bonus content (and also might have been mentioned on the show but I don't remember) that had already been released prior to this week

The specific trivia note on that was one I omitted each time I posted episode 5's notes, because it felt a bit too spoilery. It seems fine to post it now though, because the show wants to make it pretty clear that Rand is the Dragon Reborn.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't, but I do now.

Ep2:
Not actually on screen, but you can hear the whistling.

Ep5:
Whistling and then...both the same scene, just different angles

No whistling, but he does laugh when he walks away

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That rules, thanks!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The camera work for the intro fight was awesome but the choreography was so dumb. Multiple plate wearing soldiers getting wrecked by a someone in labor wearing robes is weird enough but all the jumping and spinning bullshit is just so cringe. Like "300" level cringe.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The camera work for the intro fight was awesome but the choreography was so dumb. Multiple plate wearing soldiers getting wrecked by a someone in labor wearing robes is weird enough but all the jumping and spinning bullshit is just so cringe. Like "300" level cringe.

A bunch of people in here really don't get sword/spear fighting combat! more cringe than the excellent fight scene. I also don't think the (I'm assuming here) dudes get how dope it is to watch a woman who's pregnant kicking so much rear end. Twitter is going nuts over that scene.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 17, 2021

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Rule of :cool:, baby.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Actually it owned poo poo.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

there is just no subtlety to any part of the script. im allergic to this queeny theater kid melodrama. im disappointed because for a few episodes I thought this would be something I would actually like on its own merits and could recommend to people.

the relationship drama dialogue was bad, but imo the worst was the rapid-fire exposition after the trolloc attack in the ways. it sounded like they were gonna break into song lol.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Good intro, good ep, was hoping it’d pop off more towards the end but good setup for next week.

Aiel lady killed it tbh but I was definitely hoping for a longer Tam flashback.

These episodes all need to be thirty minutes longer.

Also I will continue to stan Min.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, they are not going for the 'subtle' style, that's for sure. It's a mix of the rushed pace + choosing to make things more dramatic/exciting.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dunno if it was just me but the most jarring thing to me from the fight scene was that the sound effects were off from the blows.

Beyond that it wad mostly fine (the dagger disarm after she was stabbed was wrong but that's nitpicking).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Aiel spend their entire lives training for battle and your average soldier is just some dude who's been handed a sword and armour and been told to go fight someone

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

also the aiel have the advantage of having learned the weirding way from muad'dib

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

show is good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How are u posted:

Actually it owned poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I am forced to agree. I just don't think the show is very good, I can't point to a single thing that does it, it's just an overall impression of low quality everything, acting, script, effects. It doesn't once manage to make me suspend my disbelief when watching it.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Yea, I wanted to like this but I think I'm done. The show somehow feels cheap despite its ridiculous budget

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think I’m giving it leeway because this is what we’re going to get, for better or worse. Having said that, my patience with GoT only lasted three seasons, and they had much better actors.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bullet Proof posted:

Yea, I wanted to like this but I think I'm done. The show somehow feels cheap despite its ridiculous budget

Its because the books are absolute trash written by a level 4 nebbish lord and the fact the shows based on them are able to draw themselves up be at eye level to the same quality of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules: The Legendary Journeys or something starring Lorenzo Lamas is a testament to the hard work of cast, crew and production team.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoyed this episode, but I understand people's criticisms of it feeling like a theatre kid thing. I don't get the 'cheap' comments, but maybe that's coming from the acting/writing more than the production value which is generally really good outside of obvious scene shortenings and weird cuts.

Here's the thing - I think all of the plot developments and fantasy locations the characters visit are really cool. I break out into a smile several times an episode because of these, like in this episode in the ways when the Machin Shin or whatever it was called appears as a weird shadow and they are being attacked. I liked the blight visuals at the end. Etc etc. All of this is good and the cool new elements come in with such frequency I'm never bored.

But the writing isn't very good. It's been easy to overlook this due to the elements I just mentioned, but in this episode especially when it slowed down for a while and did relationship drama I thought oh christ, here's where the show might tank. I've decided the actress playing Egwene isn't very good now, after having basically no opinion on her until now. The lines she gets definitely don't help her but other actors can sell this poo poo a bit better yet when she says it I just think 'i am watching someone trying to act right now'. I don't buy that Perrin has any feelings towards Egwene at all based on what I've seen so far, it came out of nowhere - which didn't help. That whole scene of them arguing felt like a forced waste of time.

Similarly with Lan and Nyaneve, I'm just not seeing any romantic chemistry and the writing hasn't built up much there either. They've been put together in scenes where the mechanics of forming a connection were present, but at most it's felt like a mutual respect kind of thing rather than a burgeoning relationship. Lan and his actor are so good that he almost makes the scenes work, but I feel like he's playing against a kind of void.

On the other hand, I appreciate how light they've been with the humour. That's a strange compliment maybe, that the show isn't funny, but I feel like with the quality of the writing we have in the dramatic scenes, if they tried for comic relief we'd just get a lot of lovely quips and/or cringe inducing situations, so I don't want them to even try. That they aren't shoe-horning in funny lines to every scene actually feels refreshing, so that the 2 or 3 comedic lines per hour are welcome even if they aren't really funny.

Overall though, I think the whole package is compelling. I'm sure this is because they are working from books with a huge amount of plot to choose from as they go along, and since the book series is complete and apparently improves from here that is a good sign. They won't run out of cool material. I just hope they can get this writing up to scratch and some of the weaker actors like Egwene get better as they settle into their roles/get more experience.

Rosamund Pike as Moraine is excellent. She's always interesting and manages to elevate her various scenes with the younger actors. It is a shame they recast Mat, because even though I don't like his character, he's been the most convincingly portrayed of any of them followed by Rand who until now hasn't been given loads to do, so we'll see how that goes.

I kind of guessed Rand was the dragon reborn and I'm glad we're moving ahead from that plot point now, feels like the right time.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i feel bad for the actors, they've got such garbage dialogue to deliver.