Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Beeb just called it for the Lib Dems :stare:

e; In the year 2065 the Thunderbirds will start saving people

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Apraxin posted:

34% swing and a 6k Lib Dem majority, hahaha.

They got almost half again as many votes as the Conservatives. Goddamn.

Lib Dem charts were... accurate?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
It looks like one of those council byelection results where like 100 people vote:
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1471696617950568452

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just once I would like the Loony Party to win to see how they handle things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Would LOVE to be a spider under the table in assorted Tory centers of power right about now. They'll have been reassuring themselves that this can't possibly be happening all night and now it has. I do not like the piss diamonds one bit but this... this does bring a smile to my face.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Back to tory policy with a frowny face, hooray.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really think we need some insight into how the Lib Dems completely supplanted Labour in this constituency, too. That's a huge swing in two years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lib dems are always the natural swing for tories who for some reason can't vote tory.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

Lib dems are always the natural swing for tories who for some reason can't vote tory.

Yep don't want to vote for change but hate the Tories ATM, Yellow Tories it is!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bear in mind that Labour's candidate was literally Owen Peterson's former aide. They tried so, so hard for that Tory swing vote.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless my statistics are bad which they might be because I did fail it, I think you can get those results just with a lower turnout and also a disproportionate number of labour and tories staying home, plus a swing from tory to lib.

I assume some of the labour vote went lib too but I would be surprised if it is a direct transfer.

Also depends what happened to the brexit party vote.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

4:32
Result in full

Helen Morgan (LD) 17,957 (47.14%)
Neil Shastri-Hurst (Cons) 12,032 (31.59%)
Ben Wood (Lab) 3,686 (9.68%)
Duncan Kerr (Green) 1,738 (4.56%)
Kirsty Walmsley (Reform) 1,427 (3.75%)
Andrea Allen (UKIP) 378 (0.99%)
Martin Daubney (Reclaim) 375 (0.98%)
Howling Laud Hope (Loony) 118 (0.31%)
Suzie Akers Smith (Ind) 95 (0.25%)
Russell Dean (PartyParty) 90 (0.24%)
James Elliot (Heritage) 79 (0.21%)
Boris Been-Bunged (Rejoin) 58 (0.15%)
Earl Jesse (FA) 57 (0.15%)
Yolande Kenward (ND) 3 (0.01%)
Liberal Democrat majority 5,925; Turnout 38,093 (46.28%)

General election 2019: North Shropshire[12] Party Candidate Votes % ±%
Conservative Owen Paterson 35,444 62.7 +2.2
Labour Graeme Currie 12,495 22.1 -9.0
Liberal Democrats Helen Morgan 5,643 10.0 +4.7
Green John Adams 1,790 3.2 +0.1
Shropshire Party Robert Jones 1,141 2.0 N/A
Majority 22,949 40.6 +11.2
Turnout 56,513 67.9 -1.1

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Unless my statistics are bad which they might be because I did fail it, I think you can get those results just with a lower turnout and also a disproportionate number of labour and tories staying home, plus a swing from tory to lib.

I assume some of the labour vote went lib too but I would be surprised if it is a direct transfer.

Also depends what happened to the brexit party vote.

Turnout was two thirds of what it was in the last GE. Labour lost nearly nine thousand votes, the Tories lost over twenty-three thousand votes, and the Lib Dems gained over twelve thousand votes (giving them considerably more than Labour managed in 2019 - 17,957 votes versus 12,495).

So a key factor was that a huge number of Conservatives stayed home, but this is also a genuinely impressive result for the Lib Dems that makes them one of the top two parties in the constituency and pushes Labour into a distant third.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which, I think, would again suggest that it is largely accomplishable by labour just not turning up and the tories switching to the libs or not turning up either.

It doesn't really require any special talent far beyond the effect that starmer has thus far had on every single election he has contested which is to absolutely obliterate labour's vote share.

If you are a red lib I don't see why you wouldn't vote for starmer, so either he's just cratered the labour vote in general or he has such terrible campaigning capability that he can't even court the people he's specifically aiming for which would be liberals and tories of various colours to the point that they all want to go lib dem instead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 17, 2021

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Kin posted:

How does it work in other countries or is paternity leave just one of those things that are free market hosed and it's down to how generous a company is to pay you to be off looking after your new kid.

In Finland its maternal leave 105 days, starting 30 days before predicted date of birth. Can be started up to 50 days before, but total is still 105. Then there is at most 54 days of paternal leave, 18 of which can overlap maternal, all of which must be kept before the child os 2 years old.

On top of this is 158 days of parental leave that can be kept by either parent. Of multiple children are born at the same time this increases by 60 per each.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Communist Thoughts posted:

If you catch covid remember to wank to boost your immune system or find someone else with covid to make love to

A nice idea friend, but Peaches would never sing "make love the pain away"
I'd prefer someone to bang me so good that my T-cells sing Christmas carols

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Guardian article rather glosses over the fact that Labour's performance was utterly dreadful, I feel:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...count-continues

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ominous times for the squirrels of North Shropshire

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just remember - and this is what I'm going to cling on to when my next one is born in March - the first six weeks is hell. But after that it becomes awesome : they can smile, they develop routine, they visibly grow in character and intelligence (and size!) virtually every day.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apraxin posted:

It looks like one of those council byelection results where like 100 people vote:
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1471696617950568452
ahh this explains why I just woke up to some Labour MP on breakfast news screaming about how they’re not owned

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

To me it seems like a very idiosyncratic gently caress the tories vote. I wouldn't draw any great conclusions about Labour or the Libs from it. Mostly, it's just incredibly funny and it's good to know a lot of conservatives will be feeling pretty miserable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Perfect Element posted:

Just remember - and this is what I'm going to cling on to when my next one is born in March - the first six weeks is hell. But after that it becomes awesome : they can smile, they develop routine, they visibly grow in character and intelligence (and size!) virtually every day.

My niece is eight weeks old now, I saw her when she was six weeks and also more recently, even that two week gap it's remarkable how much she's changed.

The poor mite seems to be having more tummy trouble than her older sister did, she gets a lot of hard to pass gas and when I last saw her she hadn't pooped in three days, so she was pretty grizzly. But even then it was amazing how much she wanted to be around people, she's so sociable, lots of smiles. When she was particularly bad I rocked her in her pram in a dark room and sang to her. She gazed straight into my eyes for awhile and then fell asleep.

I love her very much.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kin posted:

How does it work in other countries or is paternity leave just one of those things that are free market hosed and it's down to how generous a company is to pay you to be off looking after your new kid.

Wikipedia has a big list by country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave#By_continent. If it's accurate it's fairly variable in Europe. As you'd expect the Nordic countries are pretty OK, but the surprise winner is Lithuania with two years paid at 70% or a year at 100% either-parent leave on top of the paid individual leave. The UK does look pretty ungenerous out of the wealthier countries.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just woke up to a surprise envelope on the door mat with £90 of vouchers and cash!
It's from the charity I used to help out at.
When the DWP finally deemed me LCWR I had to stop officially, so it's nice of them to do that. It'll be fun blowing the £40 Aldi voucher on non-staple non-sensible stuff.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Looke posted:

It gets easier my friend

I burned through a lot of box sets last Christmas doing then night feeds

At the time it killed me, on reflection now though I loved having that one on one time with my ween

We tried that for a couple of days. Me going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 3am to take over until my other half got up at 9am.

Tricky thing is, I'm the only one that can drive and my other half has insomnia and can't ever get to sleep earlier than she needs to.

So when it came to the next day I was often a bit too exhausted to drive to do things like pick up the groceries or take them to visit family members or hospital appointments, etc.

It also wouldn't work for when I go back to work in a few weeks so we've recently swapped to each taking turns to get up for a feed through the night.

I go to bed at 11pm while she feeds 12 to 1. I'm up at 3 to 4 to give him another feed, then she's up at 6 to 7 for the next one, then we're both up 9 to 10 before she has a nap to top up sleep.

It's been a mixed bag but I think that's mostly because his daily routine has been messed about with us having to travel to things for him (like registering birth) meaning we've had to introduce semi random formula bottle feeds. Plus he has a lot of reflux so that keeps him up.

Anyway, sorry for baby chat but it just twigged that the government (and my crappy company) think that 2 weeks is just enough time to get this stuff sorted.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bug Squash posted:

To me it seems like a very idiosyncratic gently caress the tories vote. I wouldn't draw any great conclusions about Labour or the Libs from it. Mostly, it's just incredibly funny and it's good to know a lot of conservatives will be feeling pretty miserable.

Starmer has spent the last what, 9 months? specifically courting the Tory vote. He was campaigning in North Shropshire.

It really is bad for Labour that a seat they are traditionally 2nd in has swung massively to the Lib Dems as it repeats exactly what has been happening in every other by-election this year. The Labour vote stays home.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

Starmer has spent the last what, 9 months? specifically courting the Tory vote. He was campaigning in North Shropshire.

It really is bad for Labour that a seat they are traditionally 2nd in has swung massively to the Lib Dems as it repeats exactly what has been happening in every other by-election this year. The Labour vote stays home.
:argh: drat you jumbly crabbin! this is another fine mess you’ve gotten us into!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, the take home from this is both leaders are unpopular and need to go.
Though it is nice to see that public opinion is actually turning against Boris and we an expect some entertaining knifing in the near future.

I wonder if this is the real reason Sunak has returned to the country.....

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Gin chat: something something law changed 5+ years ago so small companies could brew liquor. Whiskey is where the money is, but that requires leaving it in the barrel for ages. Longer the better. So, what do you do with a distillery while you wait? You make gin! This us why gin making exploded recently, and in another few years it should get joined by a new boutique whiskey industry.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Kin posted:

Anyway, sorry for baby chat but it just twigged that the government (and my crappy company) think that 2 weeks is just enough time to get this stuff sorted.

Yeah lol at that, even it was then there is the sleep regressions etc.
You're both doing great and sounds like she is as well. Work can keep their crappy policy and will to deal with you being half asleep. You have other priorities.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah I think the only thing you can read into it is that the people of that constituency are very angry at the Tories, no doubt because of the whole ‘trying to call a vote to ignore punishment for corruptions’ thing which is obviously felt more in Paterson’s former stomping ground so I dunno how that actually even translates elsewhere anyway

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The world may be a gently caress but watching smug little Tory twats like Dowden have to wipe poo poo off their foreheads this morning is a rare pleasure

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

Yeah I think the only thing you can read into it is that the people of that constituency are very angry at the Tories, no doubt because of the whole ‘trying to call a vote to ignore punishment for corruptions’ thing which is obviously felt more in Paterson’s former stomping ground so I dunno how that actually even translates elsewhere anyway

Thing is that when voters in North Shropshire get angry at the Tories, it's generally Labour who benefits. The Lib Dems utterly usurping them in the constituency is worthy of comment and discussion, especially since both Starmer and Rayner personally campaigned there.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

Thing is that when voters in North Shropshire get angry at the Tories, it's generally Labour who benefits. The Lib Dems utterly usurping them in the constituency is worthy of comment and discussion, especially since both Starmer and Rayner personally campaigned there.

Yeah, Labour'll be spinning it as how they discreetly stepped aside to allow the Lib Dems to beat the Tory but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, Labour'll be spinning it as how they discreetly stepped aside to allow the Lib Dems to beat the Tory but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Again, the obvious question there is 'and why couldn't they do it themselves?'. They were operating from a vastly stronger position, and got completely skunked.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

Kirsty Walmsley (Reform) 1,427 (3.75%)
Andrea Allen (UKIP) 378 (0.99%)
Martin Daubney (Reclaim) 375 (0.98%)
James Elliot (Heritage) 79 (0.21%)
Boris Been-Bunged (Rejoin) 58 (0.15%)
Earl Jesse (FA) 57 (0.15%)
I see the churn cycle has kicked in again on the fash and fash adjacent parties.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, the obvious question there is 'and why couldn't they do it themselves?'. They were operating from a vastly stronger position, and got completely skunked.

I am mildly smug at having won (a little) cash on this by-election despite some.naysayers in here. One of the pointers was that the Libs had taken a clutch of Council seats there at the last locals, you rarely do these things overnight despite appearances. Their by-election machine is also really formidable, far better than Labour's.

I think the main answer is though that the Labour right spent years trashing their own brand, to the point where most of the country just don't feel they can be associated with it. In comparison the Lib Dems are a fairly banal empty space, Brexit is over so it's not as big a blocker, they can stand for what they want and if enough folk agree they might rally round. Being part of the gang is key for voters in elections like this where policy essentially doesn't matter, and no-one wants to be on Keith's team which they still see as team Corbyn which literally everyone they listen to said was bad.

A few good eggs aside, Labour are crap There is no 'new' identity and when one appears it looks like watered down Lib Dem, never mind watered down Tory.

Edit: I actually think the Labour vote held up ok, one bet I didn't win was on them to lose their deposit.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 17, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pistol_Pete posted:

I did see some Keith fanboys saying to vote lib dem on twitter; the party should have sensed the way the wind was blowing and officially stepped aside so they could take credit for dealing a blow to the Tories.

Edit: apparently they did, a bit, very quietly though as you can't do it officially officially.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Grey Hunter posted:

3 votes is honestly impressive

(gin chat: martinis are good)