Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Just looked it up and you're right. I read somewhere that they didn't want to postpone it, must have been bullshit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

probably like how finland and denmark really wanted to finish their euro 2020 game after watching a player almost die

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

joepinetree posted:

In terms of Photos that are Cool and Good:

Atletico Mineiro is on the verge of winning the Brazilian league for the first time in 50 years.
We've gotten close before. But *something* always happened. For example, in 1977 and 1980 we came very close to it. But here's the thing, during that time we had probably the greatest football player all of you have never heard of. Reinaldo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCBi6-CVqQ

This guy:

He had an afro, and he celebrated that way because he was inspired by the Black Panthers. In the middle of the dictatorship. In 1978, for example, the Brazilian dictator told him not to celebrate that way in the world cup. He did, and not too long after that he was benched. But, of course, that is not the main thing I wanted to talk about. It's more about how Reinaldo was robbed twice of the Brazilian championship, and how he was hunted on the field.

In 1977, Reinaldo was 20 years old. He put together perhaps the greatest season in modern football history. Brazil still had one of those crazy championship formats with playoffs and all that poo poo. Keep in mind that this was still a good Brazilian league. There were more players based in the Brazilian league in the 1974 WC than in any other league in the world. The season for Atletico was 21 games long. Reinaldo played in 18 of those. And in 18 games he scored 28 goals. No typos there. An average of over 1.5 goals a game. He scored in every single one of the 18 games he played. Why did he miss 3 games? That is where the whole thing goes to poo poo. He received a red card in a game against Fast Club. He then sat out the next game, against Botafogo (which ended in a draw, 0x0), because of that red card. So he came back afterwards and played the next three games for Atletico. But in the middle of the semifinals against Londrina, CBF decided to suspend him for an additional 2 games. So he missed the second leg of the semifinal. The final was a single game, Atletico played without him, tied 0x0 and lost on PKs. Atletico was runner up with 17 wins, 4 ties, no losses. The 4 ties included the 3 games he missed. With him on the field, Atletico win 17 and tied 1.

Reinaldo's career would go on to be derailed by injuries. He was hunted on the field, with the implicit support of CBF. By age 21, he had no meniscus left. He missed a lot of games. Never became what he was destined to be.

But he had one more good season in him. And in 1980 he made it to the finals again. This time against Flamengo. Flamengo was the dictatorship's favorite team. To the point that Flamengo was sponsored by the state oil company, which, at the time, had a monopoly granted by the state. The finals were once again marked by a weirdness in format. The team who did better in the semi finals had the tie advantage in the final. Flamengo won 2 games against the relatively weak Coritiba, Atletico won 1 and tied 1 against defending champions Internacional.

First game of the final was 1 x 0 for Atletico.

Second game was in Rio. Flamengo scored 1st. Reinaldo tied it, Flamengo scored again, Reinaldo tied it again. He was hunted on the field, beaten up, limping, and still scoring. The ref was clearly bought and paid for. Now, I know that every losing fan says this. So I will post a single play and let you see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryUiaEMpmE&t=90s

(go to 1:30 if the timed url doesn't work). Game 2x2. Reinaldo is on a break way to score the 3rd goal. Play gets stopped for offsides. Look at the top of the video. He is clearly not offsides, by several meters. On the way back, he touches the ball, stands in front of the player trying to kick the offsides. Obviously a bit of time wasting. So he gets a red card. Not a yellow. Not a warning. A straight red card. 2 other Atletico players get sent off for complaining. 3 down, Flamengo scores, Atletico loses is because flamengo had a better performance in the semi-finals (overall, Atletico still had the better campaign).

Why all of this now?

This is Hulk, yesterday, after scoring his 5th goal in 3 games

This is who he was looking at

a 64 year old Reinaldo.

Atletico has 3 games left. Flamengo has 4. If atletico wins 1, or ties 2, or Flamengo ties any of their remaining games left, Atletico wins it all. 11 points ahead of Flamengo right now.

I didn't cry yesterday. But I did today.

This is genuinely super cool

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
From a different thread on SA I found a site where you give it a description and then an AI procedurally generates an image of a person's head to match the description you gave it. Out of curiosity I gave it some football names to see what it would make. Here are some, for fun's sake I'll put the prompt in spoilers afterwards.

The very first one I requested was what made me keep going:

jose mourinho

Some others are also pretty good and you can sort of see the resemblance even if the image isn't perfect:

sir alex ferguson

jurgen klopp

mo salah

trent alexander-arnold

virgil van dijk

diogo jota

kevin de bruyne

harry kane

And some, well, it's an AI.

sadio mane

paul pogba

steven gerrard

romelu lukaku

david de gea

raheem sterling

jozy altidore

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i did a few more and lmao

roberto firmino

adama traore

james milner

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

sir alex ferguson

This is Arsene Wenger though

quote:

raheem sterling

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

greazeball posted:

This is Arsene Wenger though

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011
https://streamff.com/v/35f1ca

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
This kid owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hq8lwqW3Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdZCSoPcReg

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
They start them young in Liverpool

szary
Mar 12, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/emiratesfacup/status/1467551754807963653

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bcoxy2012/status/1468726641413210119

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Insane to get yellow carded for that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/1469953933258932225

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Firing off an email to the football museum to get them to put that Armstrong goal on an infinite loop as part of a display labelled 'proper football'

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/i/status/1468112469629583365

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I've seen that vid before and I'm sort of disappointed that they don't show the actual flight of the ball, cos 80s keepers could get *insane* length on drop kicks and even place kicks - Ludek Miklosko (LUDO!) could normally get a goal kick to the edge of the opposition's area and often had to dial back his drop kicks to stop them just going straight out at the other end on one bounce - there were quite a few others who could do it too, I still remember Hans Segers getting a (wind-assisted) drop-kick into the crowd behind West Ham's goal with no bounce in one of my first ever games at Upton Park.

I don't know if it's just an evolution of tactics, lighter balls meaning they don't carry as far, or just that mullets and ultra-tight shorts give a weird multiplier effect, but you just don't see those sort of kicks in the modern game. I blame Sky TV.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen that vid before and I'm sort of disappointed that they don't show the actual flight of the ball, cos 80s keepers could get *insane* length on drop kicks and even place kicks - Ludek Miklosko (LUDO!) could normally get a goal kick to the edge of the opposition's area and often had to dial back his drop kicks to stop them just going straight out at the other end on one bounce - there were quite a few others who could do it too, I still remember Hans Segers getting a (wind-assisted) drop-kick into the crowd behind West Ham's goal with no bounce in one of my first ever games at Upton Park.

I don't know if it's just an evolution of tactics, lighter balls meaning they don't carry as far, or just that mullets and ultra-tight shorts give a weird multiplier effect, but you just don't see those sort of kicks in the modern game. I blame Sky TV.

It’s because modern goalkeepers generally try to think about where to put the ball on the field whereas many goalies of the olden days just tried to get the ball as far away from their box as possible.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

It’s because modern goalkeepers generally try to think about where to put the ball on the field whereas many goalies of the olden days just tried to get the ball as far away from their box as possible.
Yeah I'd think that if anything with the way the modern ball can fly and modern goalkeeper athleticism if a GK really wanted to hammer the poo poo out of the ball with no concern for landing spot he could probably just boot one straight into the stands at the other end.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Real Betis fans throwing stuffed animals at half time for Christmas gifts for disadvantaged children:

https://i.imgur.com/dYffuKA.mp4

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah I'd think that if anything with the way the modern ball can fly and modern goalkeeper athleticism if a GK really wanted to hammer the poo poo out of the ball with no concern for landing spot he could probably just boot one straight into the stands at the other end.

i remember sczesny saying that he didn't learn how to kick a ball properly until he went to juventus which lmao sounds right, he said he had been planting his foot too far forward or back

and actually it wouldn't surprise me if *advanced stats* showed that just hammering it old school style was better or just as good as trying to be a playmaker

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
That reminds me - when some keepers ask a CB or similar to kick the ball for them? How loving embarrassing must that be.

"Yeah I'm 6'4" 235 lbs, been playing this sport my whole life and am paid 100x more than most people but I can't properly do one of the 2 specific things this job mostly entails."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sticksy posted:

That reminds me - when some keepers ask a CB or similar to kick the ball for them? How loving embarrassing must that be.

"Yeah I'm 6'4" 235 lbs, been playing this sport my whole life and am paid 100x more than most people but I can't properly do one of the 2 specific things this job mostly entails."

More often than not it's because the keeper is injured.

But yes, football really can be that amateurish even at the highest level.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Crazy Ted posted:

quote:

75.35 m
Ederson also holds the Guinness World Record for Longest Football Drop Kick, which he achieved after kicking the ball 75.35 m (247 ft 2 in) across the ground at the Etihad Campus on 10 May 2018.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

sticksy posted:

Didn't hold back Stefan Klos, man won a Champions League not taking them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If you want something really weird, as part of my Sports Information research work my remote work partner and I found a GK for the Portland Timbers reserve team who (confirmed via video) took goal kicks with one foot and drop kicks with the other foot.

It was baffling. Goalkeepers are strange.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 14, 2021

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I remember a lad I was at school with who passed with his left and shot with his right. I just assumed he was being a show off to us centre backs who just fired up old righty for panicked punts away from goal and misjudged passes alike but maybe he wasn't a bullshitter after all

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

pik_d posted:

Real Betis fans throwing stuffed animals at half time for Christmas gifts for disadvantaged children:

https://i.imgur.com/dYffuKA.mp4

The Guardian did a good write-up on this match. They also presented an eight-year-old who overcame leukaemia as their star signing.

:unsmith:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Keir Keegan is spot on except for the fact that I like Kevin Keegan

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

I remember a lad I was at school with who passed with his left and shot with his right. I just assumed he was being a show off to us centre backs who just fired up old righty for panicked punts away from goal and misjudged passes alike but maybe he wasn't a bullshitter after all

Growing up, each season I would alternate which foot felt more natural to use, which resulted in both feeling good to use. But passing is still more comfortable with my left, and shooting more comfortable with my right. :shrug:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Did you attend any secondary schools in the Leeds area in the early to mid 2000s in which case I'm sorry for tenderising the back of your legs with my studs on an almost weekly basis

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There might as well just be a thread for him at this point.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Crazy Ted posted:

There might as well just be a thread for him at this point.

The last time we made a thread specifically for a britgoon in the media it ended up with Brown Moses starting a CIA funded open source Interpol.

gently caress knows how it could end up.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://twitter.com/SteveStuWill/status/1471591758681104387?t=erkMqPtzxs7ybcu9qwzrfQ&s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

If you want something really weird, as part of my Sports Information research work my remote work partner and I found a GK for the Portland Timbers reserve team who (confirmed via video) took goal kicks with one foot and drop kicks with the other foot.

It was baffling. Goalkeepers are strange.

keeping Portland weird is a club ethos, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Another thing to try for post-corona football

https://twitter.com/mikkelvoyd/status/1471542225804959747?s=21