Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
it seems fair to wish the horny fanservice manga had better writing or treated its main romantic relationship differently, but it is misguided to wish it would put the horny fanservice on the back burner. that’s what the manga is. it’s like asking dr stone to cut the science, or one piece to stop introducing pirate characters, or world trigger to not be boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

See, this is super weird to me. Does Yabuki really want to be known as the T&A guy forever? Why not try to tell a story with limited fan service? Does he think he wouldn't be able to?

Given what he's supposedly been through (divorce, being left holding the baby), I'd allow the dood to draw t&a as much as he wants.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
wait what

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mikl posted:

wait what

It's pretty old but the dude's first wife cheated on him and left him for some dude. This was over a decade ago.

EDIT: https://otakuartist.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/the-truth-behind-why-to-love-ru-ended/

Also I think it's less "left holding the baby" and more "dude loved his daughter and gave up a ton so he could retain custody of her."

Also take the "ex-wife was responsible for the manga ending" with a grain of salt, that's just the fastest link I could find.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 14, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t know what a To Luve Roux is but Jesus, that poor guy got it bad. Ecchi’s not my thing but I hope the author and his daughter are doing good now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's making bank creating horny mangas that goons love and complain about

I read a chapter or so of ayakashi triangle and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as uq holder

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If you're in the market for pure titillation then Ayakashi surely delivers in spades and it's nothing to be ashamed about.
It's just a little frustrating to see how he accidentally stumbles into some really great plot points drops them all and goes "Lol tits and girls kissing!" And for some, that frustration is too much to enjoy the scantily clad well endowed ladies. And that's fine as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also I think it's less "left holding the baby" and more "dude loved his daughter and gave up a ton so he could retain custody of her."
Ah right, I was under the impression the wife absconded. My mistake.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm gonna win that trip to Japan

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Quite liked Eyeshield.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lock Knight posted:

Quite liked Eyeshield.

I'm excited to read the whole thing for the first time. I read it back in 2007 but by the time I dropped off, only the first 20-odd volumes had been released.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I would kill to have Eyeshield 21 in digital, it was my first favorite back when I was first getting into manga.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alacron posted:

I would kill to have Eyeshield 21 in digital, it was my first favorite back when I was first getting into manga.

I just spent way too much to complete my run so hopefully that means they're digitizing it now!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Eyeshield 21 is good, though it does have some weird bioessentialism thing going on, especially with regards to black people in sports. I still enjoyed it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

goddamn, i expected the free sticker inside the eyeshield 21 book to be related to eyeshield 21

thankfully, i know what to do with a Bleach sticker

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd like to congratulate the posters of this thread, their focused energy has effected real change in the world

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1471379276301746176?s=20

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i'd like to congratulate the posters of this thread, their focused energy has effected real change in the world

I just need to ambivalent harder at it! :geno:

...also would anyone characterize Ayakashi as slaptstick? That's not something I associate with it, but maybe it was in all the chapters I didn't read?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm so tired

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, slapstick seems an odd choice of description for it, regardless of you opinion on its quality or story.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
The added slapstick will be more girls kissing and fondling other girls

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

...also would anyone characterize Ayakashi as slaptstick? That's not something I associate with it, but maybe it was in all the chapters I didn't read?

Slapstick = "tee hee I accidentally touched a boobie and now I'm naked how did this happen :newlol:"

(Kentaro Yabuki, probably)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's gonna get an absolute bottom rung studio I'm gonna guess

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's gonna get an absolute bottom rung studio I'm gonna guess

Food Wars did fine, granted i wouldn't necessarily point at JC Staff for consistency lately. there's also broadcaster/timeslot as factors.

nothing will stop it from just having worse art than the manga though, the almost constant thing about anime adaptation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

never been that high on black clover but you gotta admit it has since cool monster designs

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah Black Clover is the manga where people seem to never give it artistic props; the way Tabata draws with his black and white contrasts is amazing. All of his devil and demon designs are so absolutely fantastic.

Speaking of that, scans are out for the last chapter of the year and holy poo poo things just got real. The reveal of Lucifero’s half manifestation was so loving cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yeah and its a shame that the art is the only thing going for BC right now.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

What did it have before? Serious question, I don’t know much about modern shonen other than I like the way jjk and demon slayer look and find mha detestable. Just a sometimes thread skimmer

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

It had Mereoleona, who is the best girl and best character in the series. Alas, she shows up once in a blue moon nowadays, but when she does it's always a highlight.

Also, the initial interplay between the two main character (Asta and Yuno) is very interesting. Childhood friends and rivals, Yuno is preternaturally gifted at magic and super good at everything he does, while Asta completely sucks and has zero magical power, his only strength is that he trained super hard (he's the only one in this universe who works out, apparently) so he's ripped and very strong. Both Asta and Yuno want to become Hokage Magic Emperor.

You'd expect: Yuno looks down on Asta with a sneer on his face, and Asta is like "drat you, you bastard, I swear I'll catch up!"

Instead: Yuno and Asta are actually friends, support and cheer each other on, and while Yuno is leaps and bounds beyond Asta, who is looked down upon by almost everyone, Yuno will absolutely destroy you if you dare badmouth his friend.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 17, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hated the reveal that Yuno actually is royalty because it just reinforced the classism that the story previously seemed like it was against.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sleng Teng posted:

What did it have before? Serious question, I don’t know much about modern shonen other than I like the way jjk and demon slayer look and find mha detestable. Just a sometimes thread skimmer

The cast is entertaining, had good chemistry and the story had a nice sense of pacing to it.
It was generic but it was generic done well.

Now, and for a long time, its been just fights where the momentum keeps wildly shifting from one side to the other, like a kids playing superhero. A series of consecutive asspulls.
Theres been one (1) unironically good moment semi-recently that's been built up to, and It's magna's forced punch out deathmatch. And even that didnt fully take out the villain and they had to be taken out by another character.

muscles like this! posted:

I really hated the reveal that Yuno actually is royalty because it just reinforced the classism that the story previously seemed like it was against.

I called that from the start of the manga. Yuno gets to be the super ultra special chosen one, Asta gets by with hard work and a little luck.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 17, 2021

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

That's just a reoccurring theme in Jump, isn't it? Premise argues against _____, turns out to be, no, we've been secretly _____ all along

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea I found him to be aggressively boring even before that reveal and that just cemented how much I fundamentally dislike how he's written.

Though on the flip side I like Asta more than I usually like that type of character so heck, it's a land of contrasts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some of the characters are good and there have been a few excellent individual scenes, but overall the writing and pacing is complete garbage.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Just to give an idea, the Black Clover thread has had zero posts in it for over a month and a half now (last post on October 28th), and was quite dead before then.

Quoting from that thread, back in May:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For a whole 2 chapters
Black clover was interesting again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem is that right now the series has been pretty much nothing but fight scenes so there isn't exactly a ton to talk about.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Most damning thing to me about Black Clover is it's pretty singular in tone, and its attempts to shake things up are either totally inconsequential or effectively reversed shortly after their occurrence. When I stopped reading it, its best qualities were the sheer breadth of characters (though the lack of interesting interpersonal dynamics is frustrating) and the fact that battles didn't drag themselves out too much (though as above said, this is hurt by how sometimes there are SO MANY FIGHTS going on concurrently)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My impression of Black Clover the last time i cared was "this is a shonen by a guy who likes the big setpieces of shonen but hates the parts where they earn the big setpieces"

Its a shame because sword magic is extremely my poo poo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78WIYzX_m98

A trailer for Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War, releasing October 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assume they're going to expand on the final battle a bit, but hoo boy, that title is writing cheques the story can't cash.