Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vomik posted:

all new cars should have a massive tax associated with them. we already have enough cars

Yeah the thought of Electric cars being environmentally better is pretty hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

electric vehicles are heavy duty vehicles

there's some physics thing where doubling the weight of a vehicle increases the damage it does to a road by like 16x

electric vehicles are like 2-4 times heavier than non-electric vehicles because batteries are really heavy compared to internal combustion engines

that abomination of an electric hummer biden was driving around the other week weighs like 9 tons

e: of course not to say that an anti-electric-vehicle tax actually makes sense, just saying

Electric vehicles absolutely aren't 2-4 times the weight, though. Also, considering all the heavy "recreational" trucks out there, this is a pretty laughable argument.

etalian posted:

Yeah the thought of Electric cars being environmentally better is pretty hilarious

They demonstrably are environmentally better.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

For when Tesla FSD goes off the road and takes out the luxury lifestyle driver?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

etalian posted:

n-n-no, creating more huge chunks of dangerous garbage out of scarce, nonrenewable minerals to drive around 1-4 people for 10 years is environmentally good

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
A Tesla ev is like 4500 pounds and a new NA accord is like 3500. A big rig can weigh up to 80,000. An H1 was around 8000 pounds. The new catastrophically stupid electric hummer is still under 10,000

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

most electricity in this country isn’t clean so not really

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fame Douglas posted:

i guess, in the same way that drinking a cup of turpentine every day is better for your health than drinking two cups

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ban cars gently caress joe biden

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Vomik posted:

massive drop with the "young" where young is described as literally everyone under the age of 44 lol

just a mere 2/3 of the US had a 50 point drop in approval for joe "infrastructure" biden

I was watching bloomberg and the guy was talking about all of these non working "kids" and then said people under 40 lmao lol all these middle age rascals loving lmao lol

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Libs are so rules-oriented they don't even know how politics work anymore.

if you ask a liberal to choose between jesus and barrabas, he would adjourn or suggest the formation of committee to determine the relevant criteria for making a decision

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

oscarthewilde posted:

if you ask a liberal to choose between jesus and barrabas, he would adjourn or suggest the formation of committee to determine the relevant criteria for making a decision

the correct choice is the prophet muhammad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This Jesus guy, is he the reason there was a huge crowd blocking roads down by the shore the other day? I was late for work because of that poo poo, crucify him

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want to step in with some boring engineer brain lib poo poo here.

Even if your local grid is 100% peat coal a typical electric sedan still beats the total carbon emissions of a typical gas sedan by the time they go 50,000 miles, even accounting for the huge carbon cost of making batteries in the first place.

Because regenerative breaking wastes so much less energy than throwing away (0.5 tons)x(60 mph)x(60 mph) over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Now if you compare that to something unfair like mass transit, you'll see the obvious conclusion of kill all cars. But,

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

This Jesus guy, is he the reason there was a huge crowd blocking roads down by the shore the other day? I was late for work because of that poo poo, crucify him

Was gonna compare pontius pilate to the dems but despite washing his hands of the whole ordeal and sentencing an obviously innocent person to death, he did give the crowd what it wanted.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Father unto your hands I commend my... my... you know, the thing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/sambrodey/statu...ingawful.com%2F

November 25th, December 21st, February 7th, Bqwhatevr.

build back never

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

even considering that a new EV is better than a new ICE vehicle pretty quickly as the increased emissions in manufacturing them is so much smaller than the annual emissions from driving the ICE car.

however the real gotcha is that all the EV manufacturers retain the "rights" to the environmental benefit and then sells them so that others are allowed to pollute. you don't get to claim the environmental benefit at all.

its like if we made a car more pedestrian safe, so the car company gets to keep the "avoided killing kids in cross walks" credits to sell to someone else so they can legally kill a few kids in the crosswalk. does buying your new pedestrian safe car actually save lives? if we can sell avoidance credits then no, no it doesn't.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I mean in the long run entropy will consume all humans and all of their endeavors, so really why worry about legislation not pertaining to giving Israel money

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ikanreed posted:

I want to step in with some boring engineer brain lib poo poo here.

Even if your local grid is 100% peat coal a typical electric sedan still beats the total carbon emissions of a typical gas sedan by the time they go 50,000 miles, even accounting for the huge carbon cost of making batteries in the first place.

Because regenerative breaking wastes so much less energy than throwing away (0.5 tons)x(60 mph)x(60 mph) over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Now if you compare that to something unfair like mass transit, you'll see the obvious conclusion of kill all cars. But,

The three cool power plants in North Carolina put out more pollution than the 8 million cars in North Carolina.

https://ncpolicywatch.com/2014/09/24/the-amazing-scale-of-coal-fired-power-plant-pollution-in-nc/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I keep those credits for safety reasons. You know. Like when papa gets a little too deep in his drinks and does a lil oopsie doo at 35 mph.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't young.

It's actually the boomers and gen Xers in our country who have young souls and hope in their hearts. Those lacking in years (I refuse to use the term "young" for their ilk) are cynical and selfish and care for nothing but their cell phones and bank accounts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PeterCat posted:

The three cool power plants in North Carolina put out more pollution than the 8 million cars in North Carolina.

https://ncpolicywatch.com/2014/09/24/the-amazing-scale-of-coal-fired-power-plant-pollution-in-nc/

correct, but also true that an EV on the NC grid produces less than a 1/3 of the co2e per mile compared to an average ICE car

https://evtool.ucsusa.org/#z/27513/_/_/_

we obviously have to get rid of all fossil fuels

(and EVs alone can't be the solution either because just replacing all our pov cars with EVs either takes too long or is too resource intensive or both)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

which this does tie in hard with why the dems are going to lose.

we literally have the apocalypse. we have the risk of human extinction. and not only that, its going to be shittier and shittier for Americans as we march towards this. the fantasy that we can keep the climate out with a wall is already popped.

now is the moment for leadership. now is the time for the end of Independence Day speech. this could be a transformational moment, when the options are transform or parish.

instead, we'll see democrats foreclose their own future out of fear of optics today.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"should EV users pay their fair share" is such a convenient distraction from the real point, which is that bending over backwards to collect those droplets of revenue isn't worth the disincentives it creates to EV adoption. So of course red AND blue states do it whenever possible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

that thread seems good, I will be voting for the democrats!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Trabisnikof posted:

correct, but also true that an EV on the NC grid produces less than a 1/3 of the co2e per mile compared to an average ICE car

https://evtool.ucsusa.org/#z/27513/_/_/_

we obviously have to get rid of all fossil fuels

(and EVs alone can't be the solution either because just replacing all our pov cars with EVs either takes too long or is too resource intensive or both)

Public transportation would be a better replacement for POVs than 1 EV per ICE anyway.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Trabisnikof posted:

which this does tie in hard with why the dems are going to lose.

we literally have the apocalypse. we have the risk of human extinction. and not only that, its going to be shittier and shittier for Americans as we march towards this. the fantasy that we can keep the climate out with a wall is already popped.

now is the moment for leadership. now is the time for the end of Independence Day speech. this could be a transformational moment, when the options are transform or parish.

instead, we'll see democrats foreclose their own future out of fear of optics today.

Seems she deleted it but Marianne Williamson posted a screencap of one of the 2020 pres debates and said "It's this moment, and what we have are these men." and I really felt that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PeterCat posted:

Public transportation would be a better replacement for POVs than 1 EV per ICE anyway.

America would rather burn to the ground than invest in public transportation

(lol. lmao)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fame Douglas posted:

Electric vehicles absolutely aren't 2-4 times the weight, though. Also, considering all the heavy "recreational" trucks out there, this is a pretty laughable argument.

if you want to see something 2-4 times the weight it was 20 years ago, call my ex-wife!!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

if you want to see something 2-4 times the weight it was 20 years ago, call my ex-wife!!!!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

it's hilarious that trump could get 60 votes on anything because DECORUM and BIPARTISANSHIP but good ol dealmaker joe biden who's gonna win over republicans can't even get his own party in line

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

it's hilarious that trump could get 60 votes on anything because DECORUM and BIPARTISANSHIP but good ol dealmaker joe biden who's gonna win over republicans can't even get his own party in line

well yeah what do you expect with these drat progressive youths attacking him all the time? Bernie better get these kids in line or else we aren’t gonna get anything done

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shelve Build Back Better

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

me, reading about the dems in 2021:

https://twitter.com/salgentile/status/1471568721571418121?s=21

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

Shelve Build Back Better

Let's Not Build Back Better

LNBBB

Also, this is pretty much why the bills were separated, this can't come as a surprise.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Watching the dems in 2022, is like watching a convoy of saudi conscripts drive through Houthi controlled territory.

It's no plot twist what's going to happen next

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, this is pretty much why the bills were separated, this can't come as a surprise.

need that clip of bernie saying its gonna be 3.5 trillion lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Having a chat in my friends group chat today and I'm going to ask the thread since we're stumped:

Have the Dems passed or done literally anything to help anyone since 2020?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they took credit for things trump did to help people before getting rid of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Business Gorillas posted:

Having a chat in my friends group chat today and I'm going to ask the thread since we're stumped:

Have the Dems passed or done literally anything to help anyone since 2020?

they sent us 1400 bucks and claimed the 600 from trump were also theirs