Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

2house2fly posted:

I didn't pay attention to Shenmue so I didn't know it had story DLC. Is it "during the game" stuff, or separate adventures like those Far Cry DLC set on Mars or whatever

It looks like it's post game and side story poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like Shamepoo.

Anyway I got a 10€ coupon when redeeming Shenmue that would be really neat if I was an idiot who spends money on EGS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am an idiot who tried to spend money on epic by buying the Scott pilgrim game but it’s on sale right now and below the cost that I can use the coupon for

:owned:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'd have to check in this instance, but sometimes the coupons last longer than the sale and you could apply them then.

(I have spent money on EGS. I am filth. Just the worst)

Edit: ah nevermind, they expire when the sale ends

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 17, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The hate for Epic is as crazy as the early hate for Steam. Definitely complain about multiple stores, but it's not a Chinese super spy program, it's a mediocre web store for video games.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I WILL DESTROY EPIC STORE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Negostrike posted:

I WILL DESTROY EPIC STORE

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Captain Monkey posted:

The hate for Epic is as crazy as the early hate for Steam. Definitely complain about multiple stores, but it's not a Chinese super spy program, it's a mediocre web store for video games.

It even has a cart now. They will add the ability to see the game you own eventually, maybe one day they'll even have forums and proper search. Not so bad!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wait when did they add a cart? Holy poo poo lol

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
A few days ago.

Now you can spend less than two hours if you want to buy all DLCs for Europa Universalis 4 that Epic gave you for free.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dogstile posted:

Wait when did they add a cart? Holy poo poo lol

funny thing is the unreal asset store always had a cart, no idea why it took this long for their other store to get one

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

repiv posted:

funny thing is the unreal asset store always had a cart, no idea why it took this long for their other store to get one

They always had carts in the epic store but rear end in a top hat teens kept stealing them

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If Tim would just tell me which 3rd party games are permanent EGS exclusive then maybe I could find a use for his coupons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

They always had carts in the epic store but rear end in a top hat teens kept stealing them

As someone who lives a few blocks from both a supermarket and a high school, thank you for the laugh.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

If Tim would just tell me which 3rd party games are permanent EGS exclusive then maybe I could find a use for his coupons.

Noting particularly notable is perma-exclusive, I think the highest profile one was World War Z but that got a sequel which isn't exclusive

That will probably change with Epic getting into publishing though, e.g. Alan Wake 2 will probably be a perma-exclusive

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neon Abyss is your second Epic MegaFreebie brought to you by Fortnite™

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I played a bunch of Neon Abyss last year and liked it quite a bit.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah it's pretty neat. I played it during a period I was really into Enter the Gungeon but never really stuck for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Monkey posted:

It still has massive technical issues that other stores did not, even at similar stages in their life.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Improbable Lobster posted:

It still has massive technical issues that other stores did not, even at similar stages in their life.

Off the top of my head:
Origin had a remote code execution vulnerability that worked even when the client wasn't running.
uPlay had a browser component that took Base64 encoded shell commands and just ran them without any sanitizing.
Only a few years a go Steam was pushing random purchase receipts to uninvolved users from a broken cache. It also forwarded command line parameters from malicious urls to game executables without sanitation. Oh, you could also just type Javascript on your account home page and it would push it to all clients, people used it for music players on their home pages. Fun times.
Sony's back end was breached and they lost a poo poo ton of CC numbers, including mine.

I can't remember anything terrible about GoG Galaxy, maybe that's the one where they got it somewhat right?

Anyway, all of the store fronts I've used have been security trash fires. My current policy is not to put my CC number into any internet connected thing before they've had their first massive breach, and have been forced to fix at least some of the issues.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 17, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Off the top of my head:
Origin had a remote code execution vulnerability that worked even when the client wasn't running.
uPlay had a browser component that took Base64 encoded shell commands and just ran them without any sanitizing.
Only a few years a go Steam was pushing random purchase receipts to uninvolved users from a broken cache. It also forwarded command line parameters from malicious urls to game executables without sanitation.
Sony's back end was breached and they lost a poo poo ton of CC numbers, including mine.

I can't remember anything terrible about GoG Galaxy, maybe that's the one where they got it somewhat right?

Anyway, all of the store fronts I've used have been security trash fires. My current policy is not to put my CC number into any internet connected thing before they've had their first massive breach, and have been forced to fix at least some of the issues.

I use Privacy.com's virtual cards for this exact reason. I think even some major CC have virtual card features now too. It's really nice piece of mind.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

cage-free egghead posted:

I use Privacy.com's virtual cards for this exact reason. I think even some major CC have virtual card features now too. It's really nice piece of mind.
Yep, I've been using a bunch of PaySafe cards as well. It's a bit of a hassle, but getting your CC shut because a megacorp didn't give a gently caress about security is a bigger hassle. And why would they? It's not like there's been any real consequences about the above.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Yep, I've been using a bunch of PaySafe cards as well. It's a bit of a hassle, but getting your CC shut because a megacorp didn't give a gently caress about security is a bigger hassle. And why would they? It's not like there's been any real consequences about the above.

Hey now, I'm sure no small number of low level devs spoke up, were ignored to meet a deadline, and then subsequently sacked when the thing they warned would happen, happened.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

StoryTime posted:

Off the top of my head:
Only a few years a go Steam was pushing random purchase receipts to uninvolved users from a broken cache. It also forwarded command line parameters from malicious urls to game executables without sanitation. Oh, you could also just type Javascript on your account home page and it would push it to all clients, people used it for music players on their home pages. Fun times.

Steam itself has had numerous privilege escalation exploits too, some of which were reported to Valve and ignored until the researchers made enough noise to force their hand

https://www.theregister.com/2019/08/08/escalation_of_privilege_vuln_in_steam_reported_rejected_as_not_applicable/

Many of the problems with Steam security stem from Valve not wanting to rework Steam to fit in the post-XP Windows security model (where unprivileged apps can't write to Program Files) so instead they install a backdoor service that punches a Steam-shaped hole in the Windows security model, allowing Steam to pretend it's still running on XP forever.

You mentioned the unsanitized command line exploits (which allowed RCE via a malicious invite to a Source engine game) but it's also worth mentioning that those were reported to Valve and ignored for two years until the researchers publicly revealed the existence of the exploits. Valve are terrible at dealing with security issues, they only wake up once they start generating bad PR.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 17, 2021

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is it time for the free games thread store debate derail again already? It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

StoryTime posted:

Just that stupid marketing stunt in 2010 where they "decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form", and shut the website down, only to re-open it with a "Just kidding! Here's the new website out of beta."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Is it time for the free games thread store debate derail again already? It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

i stand by my comment that this thread's derails are part of its charm.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Remnant: From The Ashes is todays free game

I already have it, so it must be a repeat

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

repiv posted:

Remnant: From The Ashes is todays free game

I already have it, so it must be a repeat

It was free in august 2020.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, it's definitely been up before. Also it's a surprisingly good third person shooter interpretation of Dark Souls. Definitely worth a playthrough, especially if you can find two friends.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I ended up putting close to 100 hours into it and bought the DLCs. It is much more enjoyable with people even randoms. Definitely a janky game in some regards but being able to swap to a different build easily kept it fresh and had a decent variety of weapons.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TGLT posted:

especially if you can find two friends.
Which store is doing a giveaway of those?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Remnant is Very Good. I've got ~36 hours in it according to Steam, and I should really get back in and play through the DLCs that came out last year.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Free Epic game of the day is The Vansihing Of Ethan Carter.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Free Epic game of the day is The Vansihing Of Ethan Carter.

It also gives you the 'Redux' version too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Catzilla posted:

It also gives you the 'Redux' version too.

Oh so that's why I have two copies in my library.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh so that's why I have two copies in my library.

They seem to point to the same store page too, so I really not sure what the difference is! I appear to also have them on Steam also!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Redux is updated to Unreal Engine 4 for some better lighting and a few less jaggies. You might not be able to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Loop Hero is today's Epic freebie.

Meant to be quite good apparently if you have time to play games.