Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

we need to ban all pop culture writing until we figure out what the hell is going on

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1471529041396219906

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

we need to ban all pop culture writing until we figure out what the hell is going on

we already know exactly what’s going on: pure ideology

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
theyre just writing poo poo that morons on twitter will get mad about and spread around. like this article for instance.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Are these from Reason.com? Who the hell thinks Mr. Potter isn’t evil?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Casey Finnigan posted:

theyre just writing poo poo that morons on twitter will get mad about and spread around. like this article for instance.

ding ding ding

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw89o0afb2A&t=133s

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

reading the world according to garp and feeling unnerved at how the title characters mother is presented as heroic and badass for raping a dying retard because sexism

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sounds promising....... verhoeven back the USA and cronenberg back to (what sounds like) body horror —— we could be spoiled

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1471572051861331972

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1471513125606199305

ive always found it baffling how chris noths best known role is somehow the character he plays on sex and the city whose whole gimmick is that hes almost never on screen but is constantly talked about despite the fact that no one seems to know what his actual name is

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

ive always found it baffling how chris noths best known role is somehow the character he plays on sex and the city whose whole gimmick is that hes almost never on screen but is constantly talked about despite the fact that no one seems to know what his actual name is

seems like the most realistic part of the show

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DeadlineNancy/status/1471585688340480000

huh this seems a little low i wonder why

quote:

Korea was Far From Home’s second biggest international box office market, after China (which has not yet dated this webslinger installment), so its performance is one to watch as an indicator.

lol

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Honestly, I'm jealous that I didn't come up with these articles as jokes.

Uhhhh gently caress.
Which old clearly bad character can be twisted into morally ambiguous.....

And which ideology can I frame anything on it....
Uhhhh gently caress.

The wet bandit from home alone are actually the good guys.

Rudolph the red nose reindeer is an incel

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Uhhhh gently caress.

Uhhhh gently caress.

welp, back to the drawing board

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

lmao peloton

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Uhhhh gently caress.

Uhhhh gently caress.

wow these are great comedy article pitches too bad we dont know any comedy websites trying to revive themselves after years of neglect and mismanagement

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

Some Guy TT posted:

wow these are great comedy article pitches too bad we dont know any comedy websites trying to revive themselves after years of neglect and mismanagement

Lol at the latest front page article still being that Pardon Our Dust that promises future articles soon one from July 2020. Lol at the second to last article being that completely serious apology to furries one that really pissed Lowtax off.(and his edit of it is still up as well.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just watched last duel and was anyone else wondering if the mother in law somehow engineered the whole thing to produce an heir i thought it was odd how much they belaboured how she took all the servants away despite matt damon explicitly telling her not to on the exact same day adam driver showed up coincidentally creating a situation where there were no witnesses

also lol at ben affleck being completely unrecognizable in a major supporting role

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

just watched last duel and was anyone else wondering if the mother in law somehow engineered the whole thing to produce an heir i thought it was odd how much they belaboured how she took all the servants away despite matt damon explicitly telling her not to on the exact same day adam driver showed up coincidentally creating a situation where there were no witnesses

yeah that was my impression is she was sort of behind it. but i dont know if it was an heir-rape thing or more like she just hated marguerite and wanted to punish her

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the scene later on where she confides about her own experience being raped to marguerite doesnt really suggest that shes into the idea

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

also surely that would come up at the trial

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's supposed to be weird and ambiguous in-universe, but either way the MiL being horrible to the daughter in law she's clearly not fond of.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wheel of time opening scene of ep 7 rules

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i think there's the suggestion that the mother-in-law may have been induced to leave marguerite alone in the hopes of destroying the relationship, but scott really doesn't want to set up a livia drusilla-type thing where it's all the fault of a scheming woman and so takes the lightest touch.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

josh04 posted:

i think there's the suggestion that the mother-in-law may have been induced to leave marguerite alone in the hopes of destroying the relationship, but scott really doesn't want to set up a livia drusilla-type thing where it's all the fault of a scheming woman and so takes the lightest touch.
yeah i didn't read much into it, but more like 'huh that's weird detail to include, several times'. i definitely don't think he meant it to be like 'oh its another womens fault she got raped' and prob wanted to specifically avoid that: the only one at fault is le gris, obviously. but it did seem like some scheme to at least partially torture/punish her (i.e. being left alone in solitary confinement or whatever)

also the movie is also sufficiently fictional, so w/e

Serf
May 5, 2011

personally i didn't get the impression that there was any sort of deeper motivation than that she didn't like her daughter in law and wanted to punish her by leaving her alone for a day

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

the question is how le gris knew to turn up on that day to proposition marguerite. what would he have done if it were wall-to-wall witnesses?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

lmao peloton

I also lolled at the similar story how people threw away their crockpots because
one caught on fire during a "This is Us" episode

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

french dispatch would have been better without the frances mcdormand story

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

Boomers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bro Dad posted:

french dispatch would have been better without the frances mcdormand story

True

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I do remember that the frequent joke about It's A Wonderful Life is "Pottersville looks like it's way more fun to live in than Bedford Falls!" which ignores the personal misery and callousness of all of the townspeople in favor of the fact that there's more places to spend money

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:sickos:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

the question is how le gris knew to turn up on that day to proposition marguerite. what would he have done if it were wall-to-wall witnesses?

He specifically has a servant that Margeurite knows get her to open the door, and he has a castle basically next door. Given his prior interest in her I think the implication is he's been having her watched and waiting for an opportunity for some time, and the further creepy implications of that rather than just being tipped off are probably entirely in keeping with the themes.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

muad dib time

https://twitter.com/yourbuddyash/status/1471442648892248067

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

get hype

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dudes rock

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Call Me by Your Name (Which Is a Killing Word)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im watching licorice pizza and i would think the scene where a character is applying yellowface would set off bigger discourse alarm bells than the guy being a racist blowhard but i can never tell what offends these people or if they even watch any of the movies they claim to be mad about

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1472038902013775876?t=vADvkDCfLLXITB9P3koOZA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
fuckin jimmy pesto, man