Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I mean, if the whole situation surrounding him weren't so awful, it would be kinda funny to see a dude flailing around trying to legally mandate an internet hit squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

https://warhammeradventures.com/

what about "hey (literal) kids look how awesome and brave these heroes are"

They sure are priming these kids for their grand satirical epic!
Having read those books they do get across a lot of "the Imperium is very very bad actually" points, but equally they chicken out of saying "the Space Marines are bad".

To my mind, it's the Marines which are 90% of the problem. GW has never had a problem getting across the idea that the Imperial Guard is a terrible shitshow, but the Imperial Guard are not the iconic faction of the setting, the Marines are, and they are terrified of the Marines ever looking less than super cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure America has a well documented surplus of underemployed lawyers at the best of times.

Warthur posted:

Having read those books they do get across a lot of "the Imperium is very very bad actually" points, but equally they chicken out of saying "the Space Marines are bad".

To my mind, it's the Marines which are 90% of the problem. GW has never had a problem getting across the idea that the Imperial Guard is a terrible shitshow, but the Imperial Guard are not the iconic faction of the setting, the Marines are, and they are terrified of the Marines ever looking less than super cool.

Yeah, doesn't help that they drank so much of their own Kool-Aid on those to the point where even people who like Space Marines are getting sick of it. Reminds me of how Sega is apparently hell to work with around Sonic the Hedgehog because they demand he be front and centre in everything and also that he basically not have any personality beyond 'fast' and 'cool'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure America has a well documented surplus of underemployed lawyers at the best of times.

Yeah, doesn't help that they drank so much of their own Kool-Aid on those to the point where even people who like Space Marines are getting sick of it. Reminds me of how Sega is apparently hell to work with around Sonic the Hedgehog because they demand he be front and centre in everything and also that he basically not have any personality beyond 'fast' and 'cool'.

That's not strictly speaking the case as much as they're *very* paranoid about licensing sonic out without ironclad contracts after archie comics hosed up a contract and they somehow lost the rights to "Literally sonic but evil." Amongst a pantheon of other characters.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They definitely don't put Marine baggage as front and center as they do Guard, AdMech, or Sister baggage. Even in the model line itself, you can get modeled representations of those factions' sins, but there's no "Brother-Captain Jebediah eating someone's frontal lobe to gain their memories" unit you can whip out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They should bring back regularly massacring entire armies of space marines because they fought a chaos army. The guard can just be retired to a farming world with big guns in orbit in case they go heretic. Sisters are of course fine.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

If I were put in charge of Games Workshop tomorrow I would make the following plot updates to handle the "Marines are too perfect" issue:

- It turns out that the Marine geneseed is unstable and after 10,000 years or so can no longer be used to make new Marines. Worse, existing Marines all weaken and die as their geneseed goes cancerous on them. (Chaos Marines are saved only by the will of the Chaos Gods, prompting a bunch of Marine chapters to betray the Imperium.)

- OK, all loyalist Marines are dead now and it's 100% because the Emperor personally hosed up their design, and the Imperium as an institution failed to spot that and correct for it. You can use your legacy models in home games if you like, but the only rules we will put out for them will be like those old Age of Sigmar rules where you had to pretend to ride a horse or something to use some of the old WFB models so that playing Marines in any sanctioned context is an exercise in public humiliation.

In one fell swoop I will have made significant progress on purging the fascism from 40K, wiped out by far the most boring factions in the game, and inspire a lot of Internet anger which will be very funny and good. Games Workshop are not likely to put me in charge but I still stand by this plan and encourage you to write in about it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

When they initially moved the clock forward from 40000 to whatever year it is supposed to be I thought they were setting up for some sort of civil war. They split the Imperium in two with the Cicatrix Maledictum and introduced a new flavor of Marines that don't entirely fit into existing Chapters. It would be a reasonable step to bring back another loyal Primarch who really doesn't like what Guilliman is doing - maybe Russ, maybe Johnson? - and have them go to war.

This could shake up the status quo in ways that (a) introduce more conflict, thus more reasons for games and (b) gives a lot of opportunities to keep the Marines as important protagonists but make them more obviously flawed and problematic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We have hit the fun point of learning the Marines and, indeed, the entirety of the Imperium has no idea what flanking is. This dark secret is the sole domain of the Genestealers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Make female space marines and have them finally kill off the emperor. GW could sustain themselves on the tears for decades with some basic hydroelectric generation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bottom Liner posted:

Make female space marines and have them finally kill off the emperor. GW could sustain themselves on the tears for decades with some basic hydroelectric generation.

Finger curls on the monkeys paw
Female space marines have ludicrously massive tits that shoot acid milk.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

An affidavit need not be written by a lawyer. Sometimes you are simply asserting things that you can amply document in other ways if challenged, and the affidavit is a shortcut way of including that all stuff in a legal record. Somebody else can write it for you; it's your signature and oath that make it "your" words. If somebody's handing you an affidavit you didn't help write and/or you're unsure about the implications of its contents, consider not signing right then and/or paying a lawyer who is not also representing somebody else in the matter to advise you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

As a goon I would be totally owned and forced to apologise profusely for my vile lies slander and libel if zak hired ty beard.
I was thinking Elmer Woodard.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I'm reminded of the time Zak tried to "get" people by saying he'd donate to a charity if they argued in his very precise way, then then tried to claim that anyone who just donated to the charity anyways, bypassing him completely, was still ethically awful because, by not arguing with him in the way he wanted to be argued with, they were "withholding" money from the charity?

It makes me think of that scene from Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, where The Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair tries to rope Mrs. Strange into a bargain to save Lady Pole. Arabella replies that, were he a true gentleman, he would simply help her friend because it is the right thing to do, and that if he seeks to make profit in exchange for doing the right thing, he is a bad person.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Honestly, the lack of female Space Marines is kind of inexcusable in TYOOL 2021. It's a dumb 30-year-old lore decision that should be reversed.

The Imperium already has invented a brand new way to make Space Marines that isn't millenia-old. Have it work on women, cowards.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's hard not to draw a line from Zak discovering that people take him more seriously when he posts complete sentences and paragraphs, to nowadays where he seems to think the arrangement and formality of words associated with law stuff give them magical power. It's approaching "AM I BEING DETAINED" sovcit levels in that comments section.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I'm reminded of the time Zak tried to "get" people by saying he'd donate to a charity if they argued in his very precise way, then then tried to claim that anyone who just donated to the charity anyways, bypassing him completely, was still ethically awful because, by not arguing with him in the way he wanted to be argued with, they were "withholding" money from the charity?

It makes me think of that scene from Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, where The Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair tries to rope Mrs. Strange into a bargain to save Lady Pole. Arabella replies that, were he a true gentleman, he would simply help her friend because it is the right thing to do, and that if he seeks to make profit in exchange for doing the right thing, he is a bad person.

In addition to a good point, fuckin’ A+ reference to my favorite book.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Froghammer posted:

Honestly, the lack of female Space Marines is kind of inexcusable in TYOOL 2021. It's a dumb 30-year-old lore decision that should be reversed.

They missed an obvious opportunity to introduce women Marines when they brought out Primaris.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Froghammer posted:

"You're not allowed to get this Kickstarter product that you backed unless you sign this contract where you promise to defend my honor every time someone calls me a rapist. Forever. Until you physically can't"

Am I reading this right? Because that's completely delusional

It's even stupider than that. The Chik-Fil-A pantshitter is saying "I will show you documents that prove this extremely late Kickstarter project is not late because I didn't do the work but you have to legally-binding pinkie swear that I'm not a lying liar who lies and also tell that to anyone who says that I am in perpetuity on any platform forever."

He's not even trying to withhold the product, he's basically playing "my uncle at Nintendo" but trying to make you sign an affidavit for the privilege.

Also, keep ending your posts with "stop lying in the comments," zak, you pants making GBS threads rapist, it's definitely working.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
With time I am more and more sympathetic to the position that associating Zak with pants-making GBS threads is insulting to the legitimately incontinent.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

That Old Tree posted:

It's hard not to draw a line from Zak discovering that people take him more seriously when he posts complete sentences and paragraphs, to nowadays where he seems to think the arrangement and formality of words associated with law stuff give them magical power. It's approaching "AM I BEING DETAINED" sovcit levels in that comments section.

Hey now
Asking a cop if you're being detained actually does some good in some cases. Zak's legal incantations are never good.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Finger curls on the monkeys paw
Female space marines have ludicrously massive tits that shoot acid milk.

You think the lady GW fans wouldn't find that loving awesome? (Edit: The acid shooting part, not the ludicrously massive part.)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Asmodee bought Miniature Market, apparently

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, I wanted to ask something, even if it will make me look like an idiot. It's about the Kickstarter thing.

I know why NFTs are bad. It's because in constantly change and record the changes in the code that guarantees that yes, you are indeed the owner of this ugly picture of a monkey wearing a cowboy hat, you need a video card working at full force and that consumes the video card rather quickly over time and this results in a lot of pollution and dead video cards. Like, the speculation on art of ugly monkeys (because no decent artist wants anything to do with this poo poo) is comparatively nothing and just capitalism being capitalism, from what I understand (which might be wrong).

But why is the blockchain bad? I'm honestly not entirely sure I even understand what that is.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, I wanted to ask something, even if it will make me look like an idiot. It's about the Kickstarter thing.

I know why NFTs are bad. It's because in constantly change and record the changes in the code that guarantees that yes, you are indeed the owner of this ugly picture of a monkey wearing a cowboy hat, you need a video card working at full force and that consumes the video card rather quickly over time and this results in a lot of pollution and dead video cards. Like, the speculation on art of ugly monkeys (because no decent artist wants anything to do with this poo poo) is comparatively nothing and just capitalism being capitalism, from what I understand (which might be wrong).

But why is the blockchain bad? I'm honestly not entirely sure I even understand what that is.

The blockchain is what you described what NFTs are... a database maintained by ludicrous computational power multiplying together twenty digit prime numbers instead of just tossing them into an excel file and calling it a day.

You can have NFTs without the Blockchain... for example, Roblox has NFTs. A sparkly blue hat costs about fifteen thousand dollars because it's rare, and that's not maintained by burning a pile of video cards in the carcass of a whale. They just have a database that says Mitch owns one of the only blue fedoras, and if he sells it to Marcus, the Roblox company takes fifteen thousand dollars in fun token from Marcus, gives about eleven thousand dollars of funbux to Mitch, and changes their database so now it says Marcus owns the rare hat.

You don't need to destroy the earth to speculate on monkey gifs.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, someone please correct me if and where I'm wrong. I don't have the deepest understanding but I have enough to realize I don't want to touch crypto. So...

The short version is that it's a live, decentralized record of activity in the blockchain's network. And everyone keeps a copy, to keep it decentralized, as it regularly checks against other copies of the blockchain to verify that its information is legit and not being edited. This means every transaction in the chain - like say I send you a Bitcoin - gets recorded and then propagates to everyone else so the whole network knows that Bitcoin #314159 is now owned by you and not me.

This bloats the blockchain massively very quickly. The current size of the Bitcoin blockchain is 380 GB, according to a quick Google search. It grew 20 GB since early October. It's going to keep getting bigger with every transaction. And bear in mind that Bitcoin's number of transactions are still a small fraction of what you'd see in regular financial transactions for almost any bank or other institution - actual wide adoption of a crypto coin would end up with blockchains so big that only a handful of players could even host it, progressively recentralizing everything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blockchain as a technology is not INHERENTLY bad, yeah, it just…is a distributed database best used for relatively small file sizes you want to be very hard to delete.

Cryptocurrency ledgers are not small and are literally the worst possible use case for blockchain.

So they all use it. Naturally.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/126073/online-us-retailer-miniature-market-purchased-asmo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

aww man. I had an easier time finding stuff there than Cool Stuff Inc. before. We'll see how long that lasts.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

paradoxGentleman posted:

Right, so, as I understand it:

'Blockchain' is just a form of database. It's flat less good than literally every other database you could run, except for a small handful of niche applications (none of which are what KS is doing with it).

Cryptocurrencies are built on blockchains. Proof-of-work cryptocurrencies are the planet-burning bullshit that everybody hates. Proof-of-stake cryptocurrencies are less bad environmentally but still not actually useful for anything -- you're burning fewer trees but you're doing it to achieve exactly nothing.

NFTs are built on cryptocurrencies -- specifically Ether, which is a proof-of-work cryptocurrency. They are also entirely without value or redeeming characteristics, and are basically just a planet-burning scam meant to pull more money into the overall crypto market so the people who run it can cash out.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Kickstarter moving to blockchain, but there is literally nothing they need blockchain for. They can do everything they need to do (and everything they claim to want to do) using non-blockchain options -- which are superior to blockchain options because blockchain kind of sucks.

At best, KS are replacing their current functional system with a worse one in order to include a tech buzzword in their platform. Much more likely, they're moving to blockchain because they're planning to mint tokens (cryptocurrency) and incorporate them into their product offering somehow, either holding value in those tokens or allowing people to pay in crypto. This is a loving terrible idea because the value of cryptocurrencies is highly volatile and easily manipulated by anyone who holds enough of them.

Imagine you're running a project and someone pledges 100 Coinstarters while each one equals $10, but by the time it comes to collect payment each Coinstarter is worth $2. It's impossible to calculate how many crypto tokens you'll need because their value is so unstable.

Also, tech companies need firm discipline or they will piss all over absolutely everything. Even if there's nothing untoward about Kickstarter's plan to implement blockchain -- and I'm confident that there's plenty untoward about it -- if they don't meet an immediate, overwhelming negative response, they'll assume everything's fine and move on to the next boneheaded idea they have.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know why NFTs are bad. It's because in constantly change and record the changes in the code that guarantees that yes, you are indeed the owner of this ugly picture of a monkey wearing a cowboy hat,
The thing is, you don't even own the picture. You don't get the copyright, usage rights, etc. You're essentially paying for a "certificate of authenticity," which has no legal backing, matched to the picture. There's nothing to stop the artist (or whoever paid for the rights) from selling you a NFT, then minting a thousand more NFTs for the exact same image.

(I believe Bored Ape Yacht Club fostered their "community" by giving people limited rights to use their images and make new art based on them, but they have no obligation to do so.)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing is, you don't even own the picture. You don't get the copyright, usage rights, etc. You're essentially paying for a "certificate of authenticity," which has no legal backing, matched to the picture. There's nothing to stop the artist (or whoever paid for the rights) from selling you a NFT, then minting a thousand more NFTs for the exact same image.

(I believe Bored Ape Yacht Club fostered their "community" by giving people limited rights to use their images and make new art based on them, but they have no obligation to do so.)

And, similarly, we can already achieve proof of ownership over digital assets through a wide variety of non-blockchain-based methods: That's basically what intellectual property rights and copyrights already do (and do better than NFTs).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Blockchain as a technology is not INHERENTLY bad, yeah, it just…is a distributed database best used for relatively small file sizes you want to be very hard to delete.

Cryptocurrency ledgers are not small and are literally the worst possible use case for blockchain.

So they all use it. Naturally.
This is the bit the OG bitcoins and most blockchain purists stumble on instead making ludicrously massive ledgers for every user to make sure the system is trustless. That was after all the entire original point of bitcoin and everything like it, the assumption that if someone can scam you they will scam you even if it would harm them long term. As it was entirely used by people who had been cut off from banking due to too many credit card charge backs. So to have a useful end product you have to get rid of most of the foundational work and start from what is mostly scratch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

And, similarly, we can already achieve proof of ownership over digital assets through a wide variety of non-blockchain-based methods: That's basically what intellectual property rights and copyrights already do (and do better than NFTs).
Yeah, cryptobros like to argue that in the future we'll all use NFTs for e.g. our drivers' licenses and insurance, but I can't see any reason to do that. (Of course, the real reason they say this is because they know they're investing in digital Beanie Babies and it's in their interest to talk up crypto at every opportunity.)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HERE IS THE ARTICLE YOU CAN SEND TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY SAY “BUT THE ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES WITH CRYPTOART WILL BE SOLVED SOON, RIGHT?”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

potatocubed posted:

Right, so, as I understand it:

'Blockchain' is just a form of database. It's flat less good than literally every other database you could run, except for a small handful of niche applications (none of which are what KS is doing with it).

There are some minor tweaks but I want to zero in on this because it's incorrect. The underlying idea behind blockchain has many good applications and is quite useful. It's better known as Git and is the foundation of things like Github.

The use of blockchain for everything and the rise of crypto are incredibly dumb*, and backlash against every tech company being basically forced to somehow jam it in is more than merited, but the idea that it's totally useless is also silly. It's a perfectly decent way of logging data that somehow is being jammed into all sorts of bizarre situations it's not good for.

Analogous example :

It's not the concept of knives' fault that they don't make good pillows, and that doesn't make them lovely knives. If everyone started trying to sleep on knives, the problem wouldn't be the knives, it would be the crazy people trying to do that.

*Although this is exacerbated because the backbone of everything was pretty much just one dude loving around in his free-time for a bit. Of loving course he wasn't optimizing it for use on a global scale.

Halloween Jack posted:

NFT's are actually a spot on the blockchain that can contain any data you want. It's like a blockchain "storage slot" or a really weird way of saving something in a very specific cloud. It just so happens that the space is currently being occupied a dumb picture.

It's not a "certificate of authenticity", it's more like a spot that you could hang a picture in. So it's a blank wall with a stock photo taped to it in this metaphor.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
it's not even occupied by the picture, it's occupied by a note saying you own the picture at x location.

It's incredibly stupid.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Everyone who is into NFTs is a moron or a grifter or (usually) both

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs

this would be hilarious if these idiots weren't accelerating the climate crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Any way you cut it, there's no practical or beneficial to creators reason for Kickstarter to be doing blockchain anything, and it's insultingly transparent that they're doing the "we soooo want to hear from you, send us your thoughts" small talk when everyone knows they're just doing this to make investors hard and juice their stock value. Creators have been asking Kickstarter for concrete, actionable improvements for years now, like better ways to manage comments sections. Instead KS does this and wants to act like they're doing it for the creators' benefit.