Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

How is TCL as a brand? It seemed like they just came out of nowhere but they also seem fairly popular.

They’re a decent budget brand, just nothing spectacular. Good for people who aren’t big into film or games. Some of them won’t allow you mess with the settings that much. So if it has a high refresh rate, you might be stuck with it. Definitely read some reviews before buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I mean other than needing to replace the power supply after 3 years, it's been a great TV for me. Just make sure to get a series 6 or better.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The TCL soundbar I bought is absolute trash. After an hour or so the audio will creep more and more out of sync. The audio will also just cut out sometimes. Both of these can be fixed by turning it off and on again, but that means pretty much every film I watch I will have to cycle the power about halfway through.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CPL593H posted:

How is TCL as a brand? It seemed like they just came out of nowhere but they also seem fairly popular.

TCL TVs with a built-in Roku are a good value (we have a 55" 5-series) but the ones with Google TVs have had issues with their software lately. They're not spectacular, but for the money they're not bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

I have a 50” TCL 4K smart TV, I’ve had it for about a year and I like it so far.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Like any other brand they have a range of quality. I got their 6 series in 2018 with Roku and it's a great TV, but it was like $700 I think. Obviously you get what you pay for, they have models for like half of that. My parents bought a Samsung around the same time which would typically be regarded as a more premium brand, yet it pales in comparison as it's like a $450 or something budget model. I have heard the newer TCLs with Google Play built in are buggier, so do your research no matter what of course.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Bizness posted:

Like any other brand they have a range of quality. I got their 6 series in 2018 with Roku and it's a great TV, but it was like $700 I think. Obviously you get what you pay for, they have models for like half of that. My parents bought a Samsung around the same time which would typically be regarded as a more premium brand, yet it pales in comparison as it's like a $450 or something budget model. I have heard the newer TCLs with Google Play built in are buggier, so do your research no matter what of course.

I would say so, Best Buy pulled all of them because the firmware is so bad

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
LOTR 4K set down to $55.99 on Amazon, p sure that’s the lowest I’ve seen it. Go get it!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Post your Dollar Tree hauls. I went to a couple of them last week and both had an entire endcap packed top to bottom with movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The ones near me don’t have any Blu rays. It sucks. I’ve found some real good stuff there too

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I got a Road Warrior blu-ray at Dollar Tree a while back. I've actually seen some good titles on DVD in there too. Lots of Magnet releases.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Don't know anything about the rest but Dolemite and The New Kids are legit. I have that New Kids release and I loved that movie when I first saw it this year, no idea that Dollar Tree actually had some good movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just arrived in the mail

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That mouse tho :3:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I forgot to mention I grabbed Vampire's Kiss on DVD for my buddy, it's not in the picture because I gave it to him already.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

edogawa rando posted:

Just arrived in the mail
That packaging is beautiful :eyepop: But is it hard to fit on a shelf? It looks like it might be. While the packaging of my Criterion UHD isn't nearly that eye-catching, it fits on my shelf easily.

And yeah, that mouse is cute! :swoon:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, I’m wondering where to place it at the moment.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
i mean, the mouse isn't going to be useful anywhere other than the desk soooooo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The coolest of hands

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My Shaw Brother box set just shipped from Diabolik. I am super super excited

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is a widespread issue, but the Best Buy website said the store near me didn't have any copies of The Last Duel UHD in stock, but then when I went there they had a bunch on the shelf. So just a heads up, you may need to go to the store and check for yourself if you're looking for a copy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Inglorious Basterds UHD on sale for $9.99 at Best Buy. Grabbed it even though it’s supposed to be a p marginal upgrade. Good price and the case alone will be an upgrade from the Blu-ray I currently have.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

For some reason, Labyrinth is just a movie that bounced off me in the 80s. I was young enough to have probably loved it if I saw it, I just never did, so I decided to blind buy the 4K so maybe I'd have some motivation to watch it. A little annoyed by the fact that the case is a replica book (which is good) which doesn't have a spine label at all (which is bad). You'd have to keep the flimsy, bent plastic sleeve on it to be able to read the title on the shelf, or else display it with a stand which I may do.

Anyways, here's a free digital code! (via Sony Pictures or Movies Anywhere):

The babe with the *ower 3*V* 6R5Q QRLM QD20

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

For some reason, Labyrinth is just a movie that bounced off me in the 80s. I was young enough to have probably loved it if I saw it, I just never did, so I decided to blind buy the 4K so maybe I'd have some motivation to watch it. A little annoyed by the fact that the case is a replica book (which is good) which doesn't have a spine label at all (which is bad). You'd have to keep the flimsy, bent plastic sleeve on it to be able to read the title on the shelf, or else display it with a stand which I may do.

Anyways, here's a free digital code! (via Sony Pictures or Movies Anywhere):

The babe with the *ower 3*V* 6R5Q QRLM QD20

Did you like it???

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually really like that packaging design where the writing is on a clear plastic sleeve and the art is on the case. The other one I have is Total Recall and it's probably my favorite packaging of any blu ray I have.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I threw that slip cover away, though I was conflicted a bit because it looked nice enough. It's mainly the fact that it was bent in-transit and it's just a little too snug to the point where it's a pain slipping it back on, especially since the book has a faux leather finish.

Franchescanado posted:

Did you like it???

Literally just brought it in with the mail and don't have time before work. I will before the new year though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

I threw that slip cover away, though I was conflicted a bit because it looked nice enough. It's mainly the fact that it was bent in-transit and it's just a little too snug to the point where it's a pain slipping it back on, especially since the book has a faux leather finish.

Literally just brought it in with the mail and don't have time before work. I will before the new year though.

Make a post after you watch it. I really want to grab the 4k of it, but haven't made allowance for it yet. I'd be interested to read about how it looks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/geekgabnews/status/1471844754585370627?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeshaha:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Arrow's also putting out a US Blu Ray of Come Drink With Me: https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/come-drink-with-me/13510132.html

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love me some King Hu. I just recently finished up Criterion's Once Upon a Time in China set, and I am so ready for more great kung fu movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Damnit, I just got the Arrow Robocop last Christmas. Guess I’m getting it again.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I just bought their regular Blu ray steelbook, but I have no problem double dipping for Robocop.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lumbermouth posted:

Arrow's also putting out a US Blu Ray of Come Drink With Me: https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/come-drink-with-me/13510132.html

Oh fick ya. What a great time to be a king Fu fan

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Bizness posted:

I just bought their regular Blu ray steelbook, but I have no problem double dipping for Robocop.

This is going to be an upgrade from the DVD I've had for about 15 years. I'm glad I didn't cave

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yessss

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Damnit, I just got the Arrow Robocop last Christmas. Guess I’m getting it again.

Same! With the same drat sleeve and everything, I do not care I will buy this on day one let's loving goooooooooooo

EDIT: Pre-ordered.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 17, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I am absolutely pre-ordering that. Not right now because I have like no money left this month, but eventually.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna hold off initially, just because I'm really happy with the regular Arrow blu ray, I think it looks great. This isn't a situation where the UHD is replacing some shoddy half-assed 10 year old blu ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Big Bizness posted:

Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.