Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

tehinternet posted:

Regrettably of the next six runs, literally only one person communicated via mic. It’s goddamn awful. Why play a game like this if you aren’t using a mic?

I've played in several successful veteran games with pubbies where the only communication was using the in-game commands and directions, such as "Ready" or "Go Here" for telling folks to group up at a particular bottleneck.

I wouldn't necessarily say that using a mic is required to be successful, but communicating at all definitely is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, this game isn't really designed for four people lone wolfing and that's all the random community for these games ever does. It's fun in a group, though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

tehinternet posted:

I actually lucked into a lobby where all four people used mics and worked together — it was amazing. That’s what the game is balanced on, four human beings who are communicating and working together.

This is what the developers entirely designed and tested around, which is half of why they're getting roasted online by the matchmaking playerbase (the other half being that the program doesn't work right at a technical level).

They've got to nail pretty much every patch for the foreseeable future or else one season is all they're getting.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
For me the most aggravating part about veteran and nightmare is the large amount of unavoidable damage that the game likes to pour onto your party all the time. A perfect example of this is the ending bridge in 'Cabins by the Lake' where I've often gotten a corruption card for reeker hordes. On recruit it's manageable even with the director spawning too many specials but veteran and nightmare is basically getting fingercuffed by retches on both sides when you take the bridge. Comparing this game to L4D there are so many special archetypes that got turned up to 11 and give you no hope of avoiding damage. Retches can just walk around a corner and start nuking your health and leave a damage pool You can't take them out in time because they either have such high stagger resistance that you can't interrupt their attacks (Retches and Reekers) or they can snipe you (Hocker) and run away while regular zombies slowly take your health down and then pop back up to do it again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I believe the L4D2 Director won't spawn 4 specials that can incap. It'll do 1-3 of Hunter/Smoker/Jockey/Charger but the 4th spot will always be a Boomer or Spitter, to avoid the Instant Incap problem. 3 sudden incaps is a problem but entirely fixable.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

For me the most aggravating part about veteran and nightmare is the large amount of unavoidable damage that the game likes to pour onto your party all the time.

So much of this is how quick a lot of the mutations are to attack, retches and hockers will pop up and snipe you and run away so quickly. Sure if you're able to focus on them you can pop them before they attack, but if anything else is going on they get free shots and the damage racks up absurdly fast. Also some of the combos are just absurd, retch spits and then a stalker jumps someone near you, even if you insta kill the stalker the stun lasts so long you take most of your health from the vomit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I believe the L4D2 Director won't spawn 4 specials that can incap. It'll do 1-3 of Hunter/Smoker/Jockey/Charger but the 4th spot will always be a Boomer or Spitter, to avoid the Instant Incap problem. 3 sudden incaps is a problem but entirely fixable.

Yeah, and on top of that the L4D specials were generally fragile and all of their attacks could be interrupted with a well-timed shove (with the exception of the Charger)

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's not necessarily the incaps but the merging of specials. A smoker at least has to put itself at risk by maintaining line of sight to pull someone towards them but a hocker, being a smoker and spitter combo, doesn't. The stalker is probably the most pure archetype that transferred between the games and it's acceptable to me because it needs line of sight to activate its pounce and strangle attack like a hunter.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
just a welcome to recruit kind of interaction
https://i.imgur.com/5MFDUMp.gifv

also gently caress the instadeath water
https://i.imgur.com/8qApjod.gifv

:negative:
https://i.imgur.com/16cjiHH.gifv

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i laughed way too hard at this

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
There aren’t any microtransactions in this game afaik

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
accuracy cards are for losers

https://i.imgur.com/nahmtIE.gifv

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's amazing lmao

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Corbeau posted:

This is what the developers entirely designed and tested around, which is half of why they're getting roasted online by the matchmaking playerbase (the other half being that the program doesn't work right at a technical level).

This is the impression I've gotten since the beta, especially with the card picking system where some brain dead ding-dong can hold up the group in the safe room for 3 minutes every single round.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
bot is clutch for the wallhacks

https://i.imgur.com/Pcx3To4.gifv

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
New patch notes look pretty good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

quote:

During endless Hordes and back-to-back hordes, all Horde Special Ridden are limited to 2 of a given type and a maximum of 4
Roaming Special Ridden max count now 4
Increased Roaming Special Ridden minimum spawn distance to 30m (was 20m)
Increased Wander Special Ridden minimum spawn distance to 10m (was 5m)
Tallboys have less ability to turn during a Burst traversal
Decreased Crusher squeeze attach distance for squeeze attack to 200 units (was 300)
This makes me actually want to try the game again

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 15, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

quote:

Corruption Card Updates

Corruption Boss cards will no longer appear at the start of an Act

Developer Note: These cards were causing a difficulty spike in all difficulties. We want players to have more time to prepare for bosses and later chapters.

Hag will no longer spawn with The Fog corruption card

Developer Note: The Hag was stacking with boss objectives, causing a difficulty spike in all difficulties

jfc finally

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I still have no idea how the game launched like this. The beta wasnt all busted wrt difficulty. Hell it was the reason my cousin and I liked it, it was just hard enough to give us those clutch moments of desperately fighting for our lives. Wtf happened between then and release?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
That patch looks great. Boss cards on the first stage were incredibly agitating.

You had like 2-3 cards, white weapons, and no cash. Also I usually play Shotty or Smg builds so it sucked lol. None of my combos were functional and I was deep into damage fall off distances.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Oh my loving god, the hocker had literally no shot cooldown until now

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Unless I missed it, no where does it say they fixed the crusher weak spot not being active.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not only they have decreased the difficulty with these changes:

quote:

Recruit:

Player base damage resist increased to 25% (was 20%)
Continue currency bonus increased to 300 (was 250)
Continue Heal bonus increased to 75 (was 25)
Continue Trauma heal bonus increased to 25 (was 20)

Veteran:

Rescaled friendly fire values
Sleepers no longer call hordes
Player base damage increased to 120% (was 100%)
Player base Health increased to 115 (was 100)
Player Base ammo capacity increased 120% (was 100%)
Trauma heals per safe room +5 (was 0)
Continue currency bonus increased to 200 (was 150)
Continue Heal bonus increased to 25 (was 15)
First aid cabinet free use increased to 2 (was 1)

They also used the nerf stick on the Ridden waves here:

quote:

During endless Hordes and back-to-back hordes, all Horde Special Ridden are limited to 2 of a given type and a maximum of 4
Added a Horde Special Ridden cooldown
Developer Note: This helps avoid the doubling of Special Ridden when multiple hordes are triggered.
Timed Hordes made to have a longer minimum resume time of 60 seconds (was 30) with the exception of custom events.
Developer Note: If you triggered a horde while having a timed horde, it was possible to have the timed horde trigger too soon after the initial horde.
Roaming Special Ridden max count now 4 (was 6)
Developer Note: Limits the potential Special Ridden counts in certain situations.
Reduced chance for all Tallboy variants on Veteran and Nightmare difficulties
Increased Roaming Special Ridden minimum spawn distance to 30m (was 20m)
Increased Wander Special Ridden minimum spawn distance to 10m (was 5m)

and the ridden stats here:

quote:

Blighted Ridden no longer deal instant explosion damage when they die
Special Ridden’s defense against bullet penetration to weak spots has been reduced
Tallboy & Bruiser hit boxes are more accurate and their weak spots are easier to hit
Tallboy & Bruiser Overhead attack damage radius reduced to 200 units (was 250)
Tallboys have less ability to turn during a Burst traversal
Decreased Crusher squeeze attach distance for squeeze attack to 200 units (was 300)
Retch’s effective range in meters decreased to 22 (was 25), tracking and ramp up time adjusted to work better
Retch will rotate slightly slower and will track the target for slightly longer during vomit attack (2.25 seconds from 1.6)
Retch projectile spray starts at a lower velocity now (75% of max instead of 90% of max) and ramps up to max velocity over a longer period of time (0.75 seconds instead of 0.4 seconds)
Hocker pin projectile speed reduced to 2500 (was 3500)
Hocker pin miss cooldown increased to 8 seconds (was 0)
Hocker pin hit cooldown increased to 8 seconds (was 2)
Hocker initial damage reduced to 5 (was 10)
Hocker damage over time increased to 3 (was 2)

Hag health reduced to 7500 (8200)
Hag weak spot multiplier increased to 2.25 (was 2)
Stinger projectile cooldown while perched increased

and gave some misc buff to players here

quote:

Increase player acceleration to 2100 (was 1900)
Brake friction to 7 (was 6.5)

Player starts with max ammo when beginning a run
Cleaner hitboxes are more accurate, reducing accidental friendly fire
Aim assist when targeting armored commons is improved
Friendly fire damage no longer increases with each weapon tier
Healing Efficiency now improves temporary healing

Added one additional card draw to Acts 2 and 3

and buffed Combat Card and Healing Card and nerfed Corruption Cards.

All together it should make the game pretty different, difficulty wise.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Just got this on gamepass. You start in a base and there are like 15 indicators to do stuff. I just want to shoot zombies, is there a guide or tutorial for what all this stuff is? Feels like I just joined part 2 of a game or something

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

nexus6 posted:

Just got this on gamepass. You start in a base and there are like 15 indicators to do stuff. I just want to shoot zombies, is there a guide or tutorial for what all this stuff is? Feels like I just joined part 2 of a game or something

All that poo poo in the camp is window dressing, just hit tab and that'll give you the real game menu.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Yeah the camp is literally just a fancy menu, that's it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Cool, ty. Do we have goon groups playing?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Unless some discord somewhere has something put together, this thread is as close to a group as you'll find. I think most goons tried on gamepass at release, got destroyed by the baffling design/difficulty choices and never looked back.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

That's a shame, back to l4d2 then

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Cool, ty. Do we have goon groups playing?

The Discord in the OP has been talking about playing this again after the patch hits.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

yea i'll also def be dipping back in once the patch goes live

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Ok I played lot today. It is 100% better. Veteran is a challenge and will punish mistakes like spreading out or not prepping for an event, but the special spam is toned way down. It is totally manageable. The free x2 first aid uses are clutch.

This feels so much better, it actually feels fair.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Richard Bong posted:

Ok I played lot today. It is 100% better. Veteran is a challenge and will punish mistakes like spreading out or not prepping for an event, but the special spam is toned way down. It is totally manageable. The free x2 first aid uses are clutch.

This feels so much better, it actually feels fair.

I haven’t tried Veteran since the update, but the special spam is gone in recruit.

Also, this is kind of funny (I can’t make the pic display on my tablet)

https://imgur.com/a/1EJH9Sr

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Sounds like good news — might give some nightmare runs a shot

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
very happy with these changes. i hadn't booted the game in a bit but i'm enthusiastically evangelizing them to my friend group, we were finding recruit mostly too easy if sometimes too hard because of bullshit cards but vet a total total roadblock, in particular because of a bunch of things they tweaked. sad for the movement speed nerfs but w/e.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
toddler tendencies

https://i.imgur.com/HALm87y.gifv

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Turtle Rock just got bought by Tencent.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-12-17-tencent-buys-back-4-blood-developer-turtle-rock

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I play this on PS4 and it's fun

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

This weird bug is actually some strange unexpected mercy.

If the game calculates you are about to fly over an edge to an instant death, you'll grab the first grabbable ledge near your launch site.

Doesn't explain the decision to go with instant death water pits on The Clog, though. I guess the idea was just "gently caress you"? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Xaiter posted:

This weird bug is actually some strange unexpected mercy.

If the game calculates you are about to fly over an edge to an instant death, you'll grab the first grabbable ledge near your launch site.

Doesn't explain the decision to go with instant death water pits on The Clog, though. I guess the idea was just "gently caress you"? :psyduck:

That’s how it was in L4D, I think it’s intended and the instadeath might be an oversight

E: can confirm that veteran is fair now; not easy, but fair