Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I feel like the annoying minors problem is a tad overemphasized in vrchat discussions, and honestly the kids are kinda funny sometimes before you're forced to disappear them with the flick of a wrist.

Not going to lie I have had multiple occasions in Gorilla Tag where I've found myself genuinely amused at the creativity stemming from an absolute lack of filter displayed in The Kids as they mill about subconsciously mimicking the societal structure of the monkeys they are portrayed as. It's not entirely racism and memes! Although it is frequently that.

Also having to necessarily stay silent as a full grown adult in a room of children initially felt creepy but has settled into more of a David Attenborough type situation, all perched on a branch observing ad-hoc heirarchies form and break down in the space of minutes. VR is strange and sometimes cool, in new ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

People Can Fly buys part of a VR dev called Incuvo, they will develop a VR game from their portfolio, so expect Bullestorm / Painkiller / Outriders VR. One of the three. Or several. Or a new IP. Whatever.
https://peoplecanfly.com/incuvo_press/

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like Neos currently over VRChat because there’s less underage screaming but also because it allows creators to do some really impressive things via scripting and models

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TalonDemonKing posted:

On the topic of VR chat, I absolutely love all the little games that are starting to pop up. There's a Doom clone (VRCDoom), mini-golf, a dozen amongus like games, and even a few battle royales. If y'all have any neat game worlds, I'd be interested in taking a look!

Let’s not forget the Jet Set Radio sequel floating around in there.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like Neos currently over VRChat because there’s less underage screaming but also because it allows creators to do some really impressive things via scripting and models

I need someone to hold my hand through that UI at some point. My karen rear end brain cannot figure some poo poo out. But I do like how the IK feels in neos. Comfy.

Turin Turambar posted:

People Can Fly buys part of a VR dev called Incuvo, they will develop a VR game from their portfolio, so expect Bullestorm / Painkiller / Outriders VR. One of the three. Or several. Or a new IP. Whatever.
https://peoplecanfly.com/incuvo_press/

I will murder someone for Painkiller VR.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I tried VRChat exactly once, when into the default room (The Black Cat or something) and immediately felt like a creepy older dude as everyone else there was a teenager at the oldest so I left

Never been back since and I wouldn't be surprised if that's most peoples experience

On another note I tried IL2 in VR and it was great, for the 5 minutes I had scissoring with a 109 before I realised that if I didn't stop playing IMMEDIATELY I was going to be Very Ill

I've noticed my VR motion sickness has got a lot better so I probably just need to play a bit more

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah just take it slow. If you feel yourself getting ill, stop immediately. You don't want to condition your brain to associate sick with VR when it should associate that with being a goon already.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Viveport Infinity gives away a few games with the subscriptions
https://www.viveport.com/holiday-2021

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
You can get a bag of like 10 pairs of knock-off Seabands on Amazon for about $10. Or these, for example

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
or you could wring out a snake

- or just buy ginger candies/tablets which will actually do something beyond placebo

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Sorry I'm on my phone and I suck at it . These things

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Placebo or not, I don't know. Studies seem to indicate they delay the onset of motion sickness. They worked for me when I was a kid and they changed my bus route so I would be on for an extra hour every day, but that could be placebo too. But yeah ginger candies work, I agree.

one study

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Walrus posted:

- or just buy ginger candies/tablets which will actually do something beyond placebo

My understanding is that the levels of evidence for ginger and wristbands for motion sickness nausea relief are similar - that is, both have weak evidence in support of them but neither has been verified to a level that would be considered medically conclusive.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Borderlands 2 VR is kinda disappointing, the guns just feel so weak compared to other VR shooters, most of the combat is just going slow-mo and holding your gun in their face until they die, i preferred the original version, the controls just dont feel as tight in vr.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

X JAKK posted:

Borderlands 2 VR is kinda disappointing, the guns just feel so weak compared to other VR shooters, most of the combat is just going slow-mo and holding your gun in their face until they die, i preferred the original version, the controls just dont feel as tight in vr.

yeah thats borderlands 2 and the entire looter shooter genre

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Borderlands 2 is easily the worst VR port that I had to buy separately from the flatscreen version.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

NRVNQSR posted:

My understanding is that the levels of evidence for ginger and wristbands for motion sickness nausea relief are similar - that is, both have weak evidence in support of them but neither has been verified to a level that would be considered medically conclusive.

Back in early VR days, I was doing Gear VR development and freeze dried ginger capsules made it possible to do my job when it wouldn't have been possible otherwise. It would kind of light a fire in my stomach in such a way that the nausea couldn't take hold. It's just anecdotal but you can add one more voice to the Ginger works crowd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alctel posted:

I tried VRChat exactly once, when into the default room (The Black Cat or something) and immediately felt like a creepy older dude as everyone else there was a teenager at the oldest so I left

Never been back since and I wouldn't be surprised if that's most peoples experience

Yeah, don't go to The Black Cat if you're gonna tour the public worlds to socialize with random people. Go hang out in The Great Pug. That's where the fun and weird poo poo happens, it's great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

X JAKK posted:

If you turn off crosshair, aiming tunnel vision and make sure to hold the aiming trigger (left) when you shoot it helps a lot.

It's still pretty inaccurate but what can you do.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go check out Ghost, Super Tower Defense, and of course Murder 4.

All of these are neat. I can personally recommend Udon Sword, TonboBattlefield, and Battle Discs, as I've played all 3 and they're great fun. The first one is a mini MMO dungeon and complete with tank/heal/dps, which is a real treat to play through. Took about 20 minutes for the whole thing, even after wiping once, so its not long, but fun. Tonbo is a battle royale, which can be fun in its own way, and Battle Discs reminds me of something out of Tron. All fun to play!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TalonDemonKing posted:

All of these are neat. I can personally recommend Udon Sword, TonboBattlefield, and Battle Discs, as I've played all 3 and they're great fun. The first one is a mini MMO dungeon and complete with tank/heal/dps, which is a real treat to play through. Took about 20 minutes for the whole thing, even after wiping once, so its not long, but fun. Tonbo is a battle royale, which can be fun in its own way, and Battle Discs reminds me of something out of Tron. All fun to play!

Tonbo Battlefield 2 exists now and is good fun.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Pop escape room is a great and incredibly well made experience. Took me and my friends 3.5 hours. Another cool little experience is a newer world called frame of reference!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Meta buys another company (optics supplier)
https://kguttag.com/2021/12/17/exclusive-imagine-optix-bought-by-meta-half-dome-3s-varifocal-tech-meta-valve-and-apple-on-collision-course/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SimplePlanes VR is out
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5939612999412499/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1692700/SimplePlanes_VR/

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The final hole on the hard variant of Walkabout's new course feels like the minigolf equivalent of a snuff film. :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hate how app-centric is the Oculus store. In the web, I can wishlist stuff, but I can't find anywhere to see my wish list?
Googling it up, I actually found the link:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/1705111316278799

But I wonder if really there was a proper way to navigate to it.

On the other hand, I like how you can see all the cloud saves entries, with dates and delete action in the web:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Novasol posted:

The final hole on the hard variant of Walkabout's new course feels like the minigolf equivalent of a snuff film. :negative:

I just like to wack it real hard and DING the bell. The walkabout Discord has ppl making CRAZY shots all day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, this is interesting

https://twitter.com/triqona/status/1470807580012335115

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just ran into this mod that adds a backup/restore function for Vortex, so for anyone running a million mods in Skyrim VR who wants an easy way to automatically download them again in the future, this is for you: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/67

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I just ran into this mod that adds a backup/restore function for Vortex, so for anyone running a million mods in Skyrim VR who wants an easy way to automatically download them again in the future, this is for you: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/67

Rad, but ever since Wabbajack has came out I can't even be bothered doing it by hand anymore. 20 (!) years of doing mods for Elder Scroll games on my own and Wabbajack is what I've really wanted this whole time, and it's easy enough to modify whatever pack you DL anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4336749139724039/
Powerbeats VR is 43% off on Oculus.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a model of a building in blender. How hard would it be to walk through it using VR? Would Unity be the best choice?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I believe so, Unity seems to be the kingpin engine for VR right now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know what the return policy is for games, is it the same for movies? My daughter saw some frozen movie for VR. We got it and she watched it a couple of times but it was less than 10 mins long.

Am I able to return it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You're probably out of luck, sorry
.https://www.oculus.com/legal/quest-rift-content-refund-policy/?locale=en_GB

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

the bundle thing is total bullshit

no wonder 2/3 of the deals in the store are bundles

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

I had always assumed that to be the case as it was a 3.5" LCD panel with the exact same pixel resolution as the Index. Nice to see it actually confirmed and that VR display panels have life outside of the VR industry.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:same:

lunar detritus posted:

I have a model of a building in blender. How hard would it be to walk through it using VR? Would Unity be the best choice?

Just drop it into Neos from the file browser and there you go.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
If you can stomach the alternate eye rendering, Luke Ross added Horizon Zero Dawn to his supported games on Patreon. Includes an optional first person mode and runs surprisingly well for how pretty it all looks. Hiding from giant robot dinosaurs in VR is exactly as good as it sounds.

I’m really feeling the lack of motion control support on this one though. If it were somehow possible to shoehorn Skyrim VR bow mechanics into this mod it would basically be My Perfect Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
What kind of performance are you getting? That sounds amazing!