Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ATbjkmQ1pE

if you cut down all the trees, the bears turn to bees,
and they run for the hills like criminals,
if you cut down the mountains off at their knees,
they bleed thick number nine black coal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xaris posted:

so yeah until such time, you, me, and like most of the world's population, will just keep going about our day as 'normal' until one day we can't. we'll go into work and work there 7am-6pm, we'll pickup some korean or chinese food on the way home, kick back and throw on some television and chow down, we'll take a long hot shower/bath and maybe read some trash books, then login into the interwebs and consume more media, then hit the sack and repeat it all over the next day. then on the weekend do whatever we do with our free time

and eventually, maybe very soon, maybe soonish, maybe distant-soon, we just won't. for a variety of reasons.

All my real world friends have started hanging out with other people.
My family treats me like an insane toddler and this turns into overdrive whenever I mention anything remotely negative (stuff like “hey this Omicron thing might not be mild”)
I clearly must have some sort of executive dysfunction because I will procrastinate any sort of basic task. I do not cook for myself. Do not clean. My home regularly turns to hoarder mode until I hit a breaking point. Clearly this is something that can only be fixed with medication which will soon become unavailable.
I hate the life I have but fear I would hate any other life more.

What do I do?

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Dec 17, 2021

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

AceOfFlames posted:

My family treats me like an insane toddler and this turns into overdrive whenever I mention anything remotely negative (stuff like “hey this Omicron thing might not be mild”)
I clearly must have some sort of executive dysfunction because I will procrastinate any sort of basic task. I do not cook for myself. Do not clean. My home regularly turns to hoarder mode until I hit a breaking point.

What do I do?

Never look at this thread again, learn to unwind and enjoy the next 20 years cause that’s worse than any ecological collapse lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

Never look at this thread again, learn to unwind and enjoy the next 20 years cause that’s worse than any ecological collapse lol

Good plan.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1471830200044470281

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/11/10/militaries-around-world-are-severely-underreporting-carbon-emissions-researchers-say.html

Militaries Around the World Are 'Severely Underreporting’ Carbon Emissions, Researchers Say

quote:

Under the U.N.'s Framework Convention on Climate Change, whose signatories include the U.S., developed countries are required to report their total annual carbon emissions. But military emissions have been exempted from reporting since Washington petitioned for it in the 1990s.

And even the voluntary emissions disclosures only account for things like military vehicles and buildings, and are "nowhere near the full story of what militaries produce," Weir said.

He added that most military greenhouse gases are embedded in the supply chains of the weapons and equipment that are purchased and could be up to five times larger than what the U.N. requires to be reported.

Responding to concerns that moving away from fossil fuels could have negative national security implications, Benjamin Neimark, a senior lecturer in geography and ecology at Lancaster University, suggested that climate change poses a threat equal to or greater than the ones posed by traditional adversaries.

His comment echoed U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, who earlier this year described climate change as an existential challenge.

Still, the department he oversees is the world's largest institutional user of petroleum and the largest institutional producer of greenhouse gases in the world, with its output regularly surpassing that of entire industrialized nations.

T-Paine has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Dec 17, 2021

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

This article makes the EPA seem sort of loving useless

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

my favorite EPA thing is that they determine an individual person’s health risk vis a vis pollution sources only using each source alone; they don’t calculate a person’s risk based upon all the polluters they are exposed to combined

sorry if you live in southeast Houston

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Wolfy posted:

:thunk:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
EPA Staffers Feed Pets Non-Stop, Citing How Hungry They Always Are

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I like to get out in the woods to camp and fish, and am enjoying teaching my children the same.

Whenever I start to research a place one thing, always the same thing, stands out: Do Not Eat The Fish.

You see every river, stream, and creek in this entire country has been poisoned by one interest or another, and lol if you don't think its in the food supply anyway.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

when I see people fishing on the shore of the east river I feel really uneasy

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That article is strangely feels-good. This thing that isn't real and can be erased on a whim is the gold standard eh?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Wolfy posted:

why do you think Nixon let them exist?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

AceOfFlames posted:

I clearly must have some sort of executive dysfunction because I will procrastinate any sort of basic task. I do not cook for myself. Do not clean. My home regularly turns to hoarder mode until I hit a breaking point. Clearly this is something that can only be fixed with medication which will soon become unavailable.

What do I do?

Go to therapy and take medication, do not SA threads to excuse & /or validate your mental illness, as you've been advised for over five years across multiple iterations of this and other threads???

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9PDeZrKic
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/10/more-than-30000-flee-to-chad-to-escape-violence-in-cameroon-un

quote:

Violence broke out in the border village of Ouloumsa on Sunday in a dispute between herders, fishermen and farmers over dwindling water resources, the UNHCR said in a statement on Friday issued from Geneva.

It then spread to neighbouring villages, 10 of which have been burned to the ground.

The clashes have displaced thousands in the country, “forcing more than 30,000 people to flee to neighbouring Chad”, the UNHCR said.

“At least 22 people have been killed and 30 others seriously injured during several days of ongoing fighting.”

The violence is unfolding in Logone-Chari in Cameroon’s Far North Region – the tongue of land that lies between Nigeria to the west and Chad to the east.

The UN figures for those seeking refuge, and the death toll, are far higher than numbers given on Wednesday by other sources.

The Chadian Red Cross had said there were at least 3,000 refugees, although the number was likely to grow, while the Cameroonian authorities said at least four had died.

Almost 80 percent of the new arrivals are women, many of them pregnant, and children, the UNHCR said.

They have found refuge in the Chadian capital N’Djamena and villages along Chad’s bank of the Logone River.

The UNHCR said at least 10,000 have fled to N’Djamena from Kousseri, a town of 200,000 people whose cattle market was destroyed in the fighting.

Chad’s military government leader Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno on Wednesday issued a statement to say the situation was “worrying” and appealed to international donors to help the arrivals.

A bout of fighting between herders and fishermen in August led to 45 deaths and an influx of at least 10,000 people into Chad.

As in the latest incident, the fighting began over management and access to water, the Cameroonian authorities say.

Violent conflict between ethnic groups is relatively rare in Cameroon compared with Chad and Nigeria, where fighting over resources between semi-nomadic herders and sedentary farmers is frequent.

something something funny feeling

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rime posted:

Go to therapy and take medication, do not SA threads to excuse & /or validate your mental illness, as you've been advised for over five years across multiple iterations of this and other threads???

When Rime is the one telling you to chill the gently caress out...

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When Rime is the one telling you to chill the gently caress out...

Aceofflames is a special guy

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Begun the Water War has

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Xaris posted:

get ready for a bunch of dumb poo poo like this.

'brand new ai machine learning solar panel that self-optimizes itself with 1000% more output? sooner than you may think!"

"new breakthrough 3d-printed carbon nanotube wind turbines that can install on your roof and power your fridge? this development may revolutionize the world!"

"new this electric car start-up promises afford vehicles starting at $9,999? can this spell the end of gasoline as we know it?"

"development of a new small passenger plane that uses sustainable nitrogen is being trialed by university of amsterdam. can this make us re-think air travel as we know it?"

Personally I'm looking forward to when Elon or some similar grifter claims to have invented a turbine that's more efficient than the Betz limit.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

That's genuinely probably the best you can do. This thread is not going to help you at all. Maybe limit yourself to only checking in every couple of weeks?

As for your executive disfunction, finding a way to tackle that is probably going to pay the greatest dividends for your mental health. Feeling comfortable and in control of your living space is going to form the backbone of your mental health. There are strategies for dealing with it that don't involve medication but do require practicing self discipline. Making yourself a schedule, keeping to do lists, and writing in a journal will all help. The ADHD community will have tons of specific strategies that don't involve medication.

In terms of alienating friends and family by being a Cassandra, well this is tough. I think people have all kinds of motivations for this but at least for myself the big two are ethical obligation and needing to be right. If you feel the need to repeatedly try to convince people of the coming doom because you have an ethical obligation to warn of impending danger you should try to internalize the idea that you are not obligated to convince anyone of anything. The information is all out there, people have every opportunity in the world to actually educate themselves. The problem isn't that they don't know, the problem is that they don't want to know. By all means be honest about your opinion if it comes up organically, but there is nothing to be gained by forcing the issue and again you are not obligated to do so. As for needing to be proven correct, well that one is tough and I'm still working on it but I think the key lies in building your self esteem up in other areas of you life and relationship. You have value outside of your knowledge. Work on finding and developing that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

drugs help

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ketamine is my personal Jesus

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

folks, do not bother giving AceOfFlames mental health advice. you are not going to fix him where everyone else has failed in the last *checks rap sheet* two full years. he's going to continue posting like this right up until 2028 when we all die.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

conversely, going sober helped reduce my anxiety and now I get to mentally rawdog extinction

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

gay_crimes posted:

conversely, going sober helped reduce my anxiety and now I get to mentally rawdog extinction
conversely, i absolutely see how this could be the case for some people

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

After a while drinking will stop being a fun way to cope and a source of anxiety, anguish, and life problems in itself. Wouldn't recommend until things really pop off in like 18 months

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Wisest Moron posted:

Ketamine is my personal Jesus

it’s pretty good stuff, get in that khole

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

folks, do not bother giving AceOfFlames mental health advice. you are not going to fix him where everyone else has failed in the last *checks rap sheet* two full years. he's going to continue posting like this right up until 2028 when we all die.

I'm a sucker for trying to fix deeply broken people. See my relationship history for reference.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

T-Paine posted:

After a while drinking will stop being a fun way to cope and a source of anxiety, anguish, and life problems in itself. Wouldn't recommend until things really pop off in like 18 months

finally a timeline I can work with

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this thread really makes me appreciate everything now, even the pleasant weather when it happens

it’s the nihilism .jpg in real life

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Erghh posted:

something something funny feeling

Speaking of, does anyone have the compilation doom video of this song?

Why isn't it in the OP or on the first page, at least???

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have the compilation doom video of this song?

Why isn't it in the OP or on the first page, at least???

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7003958882032766213

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone tried lowering the carbon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rectal Death Adept posted:

idk what if we start a marketing camapign that we all hold our breath on earth day? that stops co2 right

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Do you know how much that would COST??

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Iceland

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I don't even know why you'd want to lower the carbon. They put that poo poo in water filters right? The carbon in the atmosphere is probably making it cleaner.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Rime posted:

Whether or not that perspective is true, that is the belief in the field, and beliefs on this scale generate their own outcomes.

this is exactly why doomerism is loving stupid. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. we need irrational prometheanism in the face of all odds, not doomerism.

quote:

<Snip> because I flew too close to bringing the eye of corporate Sauron. Those who saw, saw.

oh c'mon man. if it's too late to give a poo poo about anything, it's way too loving late to censor ourselves for the capitalist big other. what do you have to lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This has been around the corner for decades it seems

I want bad things to happen to jack