Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Batterypowered7 posted:

What if he didn't use a hammer but a mallet instead? Does that make it better or worse?

What if he used a mallard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

value-brand cereal posted:

He's an adult. Becoming violent is not sensible or reasonable, no matter how traumatized you want to diagnose someone as. That guy who was stalked by the internet and and accused of everything from infidelity to being a serial killer has a better reason to ever throw a violent tantrum.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/12/tiktok-couch-guy-internet-sleuths.html

Becoming violent lmao, I bet you 100 bucks the reality is far closer to “he disconnected them normally, piled them up, and broke them with a hammer” than a better call saul sledgehammer through the walls meltdown. He even packed her poo poo up for her. Do you think he carefully put her stuff in bags between busting through walls like the koolaid man, or after he was done.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Since when does the Kool-Aid Man use a sledgehammer? I thought it was just his girth.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I wonder how reliable a narrator she is. And has she previously submitted footage to America's Home Video & Cringe Show?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think we need a hammer expert before we discuss this any further.

Sledgehammer-type hammers range from 2lb up to 4lb at home depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/small%2520sledgehammer?NCNI-5

Also, here's a guide to hammer types, just in case:
https://www.engineeringclicks.com/types-of-hammers/

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I am learning about sledge hammers. This has been a useful derail.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What if he used a jackhammer instead?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

Becoming violent lmao, I bet you 100 bucks the reality is far closer to “he disconnected them normally, piled them up, and broke them with a hammer” than a better call saul sledgehammer through the walls meltdown. He even packed her poo poo up for her. Do you think he carefully put her stuff in bags between busting through walls like the koolaid man, or after he was done.

uhhh this is no laughing matter, he violently relocated those clothes without their consent, he's basically a rapist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WIBTA if I approached my daughter's boss/workplace about her terrible Secret Santa gift?

quote:

Background: My daughter is 17. She is a lovely girl, works hard in school, excellent grades. She is quite an introvert, but has a core of good friends. She is way more interested in her dogs and horses than boys at this point. She's pretty balanced.

I met an old school friend and her husband's company was looking for a part time office assistant, basic filing and invoicing, so they gave her 7 hours a week, just for pocket money. She likes the job and the extra money, and she doesn't interact too much with the rest of the staff (about 30 people, 18M/8F on the manufacturing side, 3F in the office, plus bosses and cleaning and maintenance). She's been there 2 months.

The situation: The company has a Christmas lunch every year with food and a Secret Santa. Staff members pull a name out of a hat and know who they are buying for. Daughter wasn't keen to go but was persuaded by the office colleagues to attend.

When she opened her SS gift, it was some really horrible Christmassy lingerie, very skimpy red with fur. She was mortified. I think everyone opened their gifts together so she wasn't the focus of attention at any time, but everyone else was chatting and showing their gifts, and she was having to avoid anyone asking. She now wants to quit her job and not go back.

Question: She is at that age where I don't necessarily want to intervene, but I also think that if the company just acknowledged that that is was inappropriate and took steps to educate staff, she could continue there, if she wants to.

I said aloud 'yes' as soon as I saw the title but uhhh well the body and seeing creepy McCreepison giving underaged girls lingerie at work sure changed my mind.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

uhhh this is no laughing matter, he violently relocated those clothes without their consent, he's basically a rapist

are you planning to go get a gun to defend yourself from this madman's violent and unconscionable assault upon the appliances, Mr. Rittenhouse?

good lord there's a lot of absolute psychopaths crawling out of the woodwork itt to call breaking your own $20 security camera "violent", absolute Fox News brain

this is some psycho poo poo my duder. my friendo. take a break

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

personally as a security camera inside that is placed inside my own home his actions terrify me

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

When did "psycho" start meaning "someone who disagrees with me on the internet"?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

id be loving livid too, that's a giant violation of an extremely personal thing, maybe divorce is a bit much, but its not a surprise at all

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

When did "psycho" start meaning "someone who disagrees with me on the internet"?

it's less the position and more how it was expressed. making rape jokes and comparing people to murderers is really not okay

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

SirSamVimes posted:

quote:

January 1, 1983 is considered the official birthday of the Internet. Prior to this, the various computer networks did not have a standard way to communicate with each other.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What about comparing people to the Kool-Aid Man?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What about comparing people to the Kool-Aid Man?

OH yeah!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hughlander posted:

WIBTA if I approached my daughter's boss/workplace about her terrible Secret Santa gift?

I said aloud 'yes' as soon as I saw the title but uhhh well the body and seeing creepy McCreepison giving underaged girls lingerie at work sure changed my mind.

Definitely alert the company to the pedo working for them.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Having footage of me doing something private, in my own home, with the expectation of privacy (no friends around with cellphones), put on the internet by someone I trusted, who was one hundred percent aware that I would consider that act embarrassing, is a massive breach of trust. Not blaming dude for filing papers one bit.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA making my step-daughter get a job to pay for my son's bike?

quote:

I (36F) have two biological kids, A (14M), B (10M), and two step-kids, C (16F) and D (16M).

A and C doesn't get along at all, they're always fighting, A is constantly jealous of C because, as twins, she and D spends almost every time they can together and A admires D very much. My step-son tries to be with him as much as he can but, it's obvious that D enjoys his time with his sister way more. For some important background, when my ex-husband and I divorced he kept visiting A and B for at least 4 years until his new wife got pregnant and they had a girl, I've took A to therapy and apparently he saw this as his dad abandoning him for his sister (which, to be fair, happened. He doesn't see them anymore) and his rejection for C might come for that.

A doesn't understand why D prefers C over him and B and every attempt to get him around C is futile, even C herself has tried it before, he also refuses to be too close to my husband because ''he might leave'' and only likes to be with D.

A few days ago C and D were playing with C's switch until she and my husband left to buy food, A asked D if they could play together in the meantime and he said yes, time went by, my husband and daughter came back and we ate, then when we finished C wanted to play with D again and A told her that they're playing. C said that they're playing first and they only stopped because she went to buy food, A told her no but my husband said that C and D were playing first, long story short, A broke C's switch and made her cry. I was so embarrassed, I promised C a new switch and kept apologizing. I also grounded him and he's in charge of cleaning after the pets, the kitchen and the bathroom for a week.

Then, this morning C ran over the front wheel of my son's bike while moving the car to clean it, she came in and told us but, giving what happened days before I didn't believed that she didn't do it on purpose, my husband said that he'll buy my son another bike but I told him no because it wasn't possible that C didn't saw it and she told me that it was on the other side of the car and she didn't check but I don't believe her. I said that, giving her malice intention she had to get a job and pay for the bike herself, she went to her room crying and my husband and I had an argument but I don't think I'm in the wrong, my son can't get a job due his age but he was punished in other forms, I think is only fair the same happens to C but neither my husband or D thinks she ran over the bike on purpose.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I won't keep reading about how awful my son is, he's being treated and I'm doing the best I can to foment a relationship between him and his sister, please stop commenting this post.

Bio-Kid breaks something, wife pays for it. Step-Kid breaks something, dad not allowed to pay for it, step-kid has to get a job to pay for it. Someone getting the wrong lesson from Cinderella

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm vaguely curious as to the ratio of twins to single births in the world vs the ratio of twins to single births in AITA stories. Not curious enough to compile the numbers or anything, just vaguely curious.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
AITA for dancing half naked in my living room leading to my bf and his family seeing me?

quote:

eta: Nate's family is also really conservative and he was brought up like that as well. Someone mentioned I should have added this in. Also, I'm from the US since a lot of people asked..
This is so so so embarrassing but I can't take it anymore. I have to know if i'm in the wrong here. I need to apologise if so...
I (21F) was told by my bf, "Nate" (26M) that i'd get the house to myself for the weekend. He said he had to go visit his parents to take care of a property related issue. I was pretty excited to have the house to myself because I have been living with Nate since I was 19 and I missed living alone (though Nate is the loml and in no way a trouble to live with)
I had this tradition of spending a lot of my weekends baking while in my lingerie (idk it makes me feel pretty. Yes ik it's stupid but it just makes me stupid happy) with music and dancing. Super embarrassing to admit but I also do silly things like pretending i'm a Victoria's model or a singer and I sing along, loudly. I mentioned this because this means the house is usually a mess. My dresses are all over and the music is super loud which is obviously not ok. I hadn't done that in a long time because Nate hates loud music and he's not a fan of my cupcakes. So i decided to do it this weekend.
So it's Sunday and I put on 'what a feeling by One Direction' and it's super loud, i'm only wearing lingerie (the Victoria's kind so lacy af. which I regret sm looking back ugh).
My bf used his key to open the door and I didn't hear him come in because like i said, it's loud in the house and i'm also in the kitchen/living room area. Apparently he wanted to surprise me... Nate brought his mom, dad, and his sister's two kids (only like 10M think). They come in and there I am, frozen in a dance pose like an idiot.
I quickly ran to our room, yelling "Sorry, wasn't expecting anyone!" and was putting on clothes, when Nate come in. He was so angry. He said i was acting like a child and that I embarrassed him. His parents wanted Nate to drop them back asap, refusing to stay and his mom called me a lot of names and said the kids had seen 'everything' and that made me feel guilty af...
Here's why I am losing sleep over this: On one hand, I didn't know they would come. I locked the door too so I feel like I didn't do anything wrong. I planned on cleaning up my mess before Nate came home too. Also, Nate and his mom insulted me a lot.
But when you look at it from their perspective, I was behaving like an immature person. The house was a mess, I looked a mess, there were baking supplies scattered. Nate just wanted to surprise me and do something nice.
Nate is still not completely talking to me, I don't know how to face his family, and I also know his sister told him to make me behave or smn... So I feel like I should apologise before things get worse but I can't decide for sure if i'm in the wrong here so I need your help.
thank you for reading.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

rigging up some nightmare panopticon inside your own house like you're a fuckin SCP is insane poo poo. realizing what you've done and removing all that garbage posthaste is a brief stroke of sanity

Angry sledgehammer man did absolutely nothing wrong :colbert:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bargearse posted:

Angry sledgehammer man did absolutely nothing wrong :colbert:

I wouldn't go that far until we've seen his dancing

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Why are edits on AITA posts usually prefaced with ETA: instead of E: or Edit:? What does it even stand for? Edit the rear end in a top hat?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hungry Computer posted:

Why are edits on AITA posts usually prefaced with ETA: instead of E: or Edit:? What does it even stand for? Edit the rear end in a top hat?

Edited to Add IIRC, IMHO

YMMV

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What if the dude took one of those novelty squeaky hammers to the cameras, but still managed to demolish them. Better, or worse?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Batterypowered7 posted:

What if the dude took one of those novelty squeaky hammers to the cameras, but still managed to demolish them. Better, or worse?

Inspiring

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

Inspiring

It'd probably sound like two clowns loving.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that'd be less respectful to the stuff and ergo more violent, hence why the guys who made that IKEA lamp ad are going to spend the rest of their lives in prison for incitement

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

The only thing the husband did wrong was rigging up his house with that garbage in the first place. Wife sucks, both sets of friends suck.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Look, as someone who owns a sledgehammer, I can tell you that once you have it, you start finding excuses to use it. Camera guy probably wasn't even that mad, he just wanted to sledge something.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I like that the problem came from her putting his private poo poo on the internet, and the solution is supposedly going to come from laying out their relationship on reddit. Just post through it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
AITA for telling "the other man's" spouse?

quote:

My boyfriend (26m) and I (25f) have been together for 5 years. We met in high school and started dating after graduation. For the most part, things have been good, aside from some rough patches some years ago. We have been seriously discussing marriage for about 3 years, and recently I picked out my engagement and wedding rings. My boyfriend is very much an introvert/loner, and I am too, so as a result the majority of our friends are online relationships formed through games we play or social media sites we use (I know, serious nerd alert). About a year ago, my boyfriend made friends with a married couple (both 30s) in an online game. They became very intense friends very quickly, and began playing together every free moment. I'm talking every day after work, all day on the weekends. Then they began texting CONSTANTLY. If they weren't playing, they were texting. It got to a point that my boyfriend would even bring his Playstation to my house on our date nights and spend hours playing with the husband (I'll call him A). If I tried to speak to my boyfriend, I was ignored. My boyfriend and I went on vacation this past week, with my parents. He was barely present for any activities as a group because he was playing the game with A.
I had a feeling that something was wrong, so (and I know I'm totally in the wrong for this) I went through his texts with A. I found texts that were rife with romantic tension. I even saw parts where my boyfriend said "We can't go any further because we have to be monogamous." They were discussing a "spark" between them and talked about how they "love sharing intimacy" with one another. I confronted my boyfriend about this and he insisted that it was just platonic guys being friends. I didn't believe him, so I texted A's wife, included screenshots and left it at that. If I was in her shoes I'd want to know.
Everyone around me (except my brother and one friend) has said I'm in AH for going to the wife first instead of going to A directly. My boyfriend is insisting that I apologize to A, and that A be allowed to be best man at our wedding. So, Reddit, AITA?
TLDR: I found suggestive texts between my Boyfriend and his married friend. AITA for telling his wife instead of confronting the friend directly?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Look at Tony Two Weddings over here.

because of green card bullshit and how hosed up america is, i've actually married my wife 4 times and can't remember which date the government considers real

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dramatika posted:

AITA for telling "the other man's" spouse?

have any crystals started showing up around the house?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dramatika posted:

AITA for dancing half naked in my living room leading to my bf and his family seeing me?

That was posted a few months ago with a satisfying update:
Update: AITA for dancing half naked in my living room leading to my bf and his family seeing me?

quote:

eta: I made cupcakes using some tips you guys gave me and omg it was so much better (not as dry as they were before), thank you. <3

I saw a lot of messages and comments wanting an update so here it is. I'm sorry if I didn't get to your message, there were so many of them so I thought i'd make a post instead. I got a little overwhelmed (:

TL;DR: You guys were right, I am NTA. I used your advice and moved out (after confronting Nate about his behaviour)

After reading what everyone wrote I quickly realised that what Nate did was so so wrong. A lot of great moms in the comments also helped me understand the fact that even conservative moms (like Nate's) wouldn't react so rudely. It hit me like a wave when I realised what my life had come to. I didn't say anything to Nate about the post but he must have figured out that I was upset at him. I was doubting our relationship and pulling away from him. He started talking to me again and for a day I didn't really say anything. But I knew I had some decisions to make. I genuinely didn't believe I would get so many responses telling me I was NTA so this was eye opening for me.

So a few days after I made the post I told Nate that we needed to talk. I said that I would be staying with my friend until I felt comfortable around him. He didn't know what I was referring to (which just made me angry because how can he forget a fight that big) and I told him I was upset with how he treated me after the whole "your family walking in on me" incident. I also mentioned how I shouldn't have to wait for him to be away to dance, bake or listen to one direction just because he doesn't like it. He tried convincing me to stay but I left. I think he knew I wouldn't let this go like the other things (thanks to you guys)

Yesterday I asked him to meet me at a cafe so we could have a conversation about everything that happened. Nate cried. Like for the first time ever since I have known him. He apologised, told me he messed up, and that he would change because he realised his mistakes now. I told him I wanted to move out and maybe after a while, if he does actually change, i'd give us another chance. I just needed some space to think about things and so I told him we should take a break from each other for a while. Nate told me he would talk to his mom as well and that he should have defended me to which I said yes you should have. I actually borrowed direct sentences (to explain why he in the wrong) from some comments you guys left because it was so helpful. It went better than how I imagined it would go.

Also, thank you. Thank you doesn't even begin to cover what I really want to say to everyone who helped me and also to the mods who removed a lot of creepy comments. Thanks for sharing your stories about dancing in your underwear as well! It made me feel better to know I wasn't some freak for enjoying those things. I'm going to use those baking tips you guys gave to me and make cupcakes right now actually because I can. I feel so relieved. <3

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA: my daughter complained behind my back to my son that I “refused” to take her to therapy for 2 years

quote:

My (f57) son (m28) recently approached me upset about something his sister (f30) told him about the past that she is apparently still resentful of (although she has never spoken to me about it).

My daughter has always been anxious and from a young age (5ish) did a lot of weird rituals to make herself feel better. These rituals often required my husband and I to participate and we generally went along with it to make her happy. In middle school she stopped this habit but developed a new one where she would lie frequently to me and my husband. At one point she was almost a month behind in school and when her teacher reached out we were blindsided because she’d been deceiving us that everything was fine (she would also lie about things like who she was with or having a bf and was very secretive)

When she was in grade 7 I saw on our computer browser that she’d been googling ocd. I questioned her about it and she said she thought she had it and wanted to go to the doctor, using her childhood habits as proof. I felt that she was lying again to excuse her school performance and we told her ‘no

She intermittently argued about it with us for 2 years. At that point I discovered by reading her journal she’d also gone behind our backs to the guidance counsellor at school and told the woman we wouldn’t help her. I grounded her for lying again but a few months later we did take her to the doctor. She has more or lesss been in treatment since then.

My son recently asked me if I really “denied her medical treatment”. To me she is making it sound like I was negligent when really she was a liar and that’s why we didn’t take her initiallly. We have paid for specialists and supported her for years and I think she is putting all the blame on me/making me look bad to my son nand not taking responsibility.

I am upset with her sneaky behaviour and want to confront her but my husband said to leave it. My daughter had a wonderful childhood and I hate that she is complaining about the past behind my back— we did our best and we did help her. She has never mentioned anything to me about still being resentful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ok, that one just made me mad. I'm gonna have some cocoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

well, there goes another soon-to-be-estranged parent, we can only hope