Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Lord of Hats posted:

They’re literally just people who want Ready Player One to be real. That’s it. That’s all they are.

And also they'd totally be the main character and not just NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GRohac/status/1471891737652125697

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

The only argument I've seen in favor of NFTs in games has been some hand-wavy poo poo like "NFTs are changing the landscape for gaming and beyond. Businesses and those who don't understand the tech will ultimately come around to being educated and understanding their concerns will misguided."

That's an actual quote from one of the people replying to the STALKER 2 announcement. NFT bros are always happy to thump their chests about NFTs, but when it comes to explanations of what the actual benefit is, they're nowhere to be found - just a nice "gently caress you, good luck being stuck in the past, loser."
They are also people who have the luxury of just trying to will this stuff to move forwards without actually contributing anything at all to it, or being technically capable of doing so.

It's just people who have bought into it, as investors, and have a vested interest in pushing the narrative in much the same way any proponent of a stock would be.

I believe that a great many people involved in crypto, NFTs and even meme stocks have next to no idea about the intrinsic aspects or USPs of them (even if you assume that those things have merit), they just see "number go up" and they're onboard. I've given up asking my friend why BLEEP coin is better than BLOOP coin this week, when last week BLOOP was going to cure cancer. It's easier simply to reconcile it as "number go up more, coin better".

Meme stocks are another more transparent example of this. If you venture onto discussions about GME, AMC, etc you'll find a bunch of people basically just parroting "gamma squeeze", "it's us against the shorties", "Citadel have to cover!" without the slightest clue what any of that stuff means, whether it's actually real or not.

We're through the looking glass with all of this stuff I think.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Durzel posted:

Meme stocks are another more transparent example of this. If you venture onto discussions about GME, AMC, etc you'll find a bunch of people basically just parroting "gamma squeeze", "it's us against the shorties", "Citadel have to cover!" without the slightest clue what any of that stuff means, whether it's actually real or not.

I was thinking about this with the Gamestop stuff. People were talking about how doing a short squeeze was sticking it to Wall Street, when the reality is that this was short squeezing a very narrow subset of investors, and investors rise and fall on Wall Street all the time. And yet so many people, including major media organizations, parroted the notion that this was some kind of populist uprising against Wall Street, when it was more akin to Don Quixote fighting windmills thinking they're dragons.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Fish Appreciator posted:

Its refreshing to see Gamer Opinion on NFTs shifting so hard into the negative. It makes sense, given that gaming NFTs are just Team Fortress 2 hats, but with more artificial scarcity.

It's not even just that, but also that the vehicle for creating the majority of NFTs, Etherium, is through it's very existence propping up the bubble that is keeping gamers from getting graphics cards they need to actually play games. Taking just that into account the STALKER NFT announcement is so loving tone deaf it hurts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One of the most enlightening things you can do with chat about NFTs in games is to take the promises of the NFTbros, flip the perspective to that of another player in the game, and think about whether it sounds good or not. So you assume that this wonderful fantastic amazing experience they are touting actually happens (despite it being unworkable nonsense), then ask "ok, so who else would want to play a game where...?"

"You own your super special sword and can rent it out when you aren't playing!" becomes "who would want to play a game where you have to rent the sword you need (for real money)?"

"Your ultra-blaster gun can't be taken away or changed arbitrarily!" becomes "Who would want to play a game where a completely broken weapon can't be rebalanced or removed?"

"You can carry your gear between games!" becomes "Who would want to play a game where completely incongruous stuff shows up, like someone pulling out a plasma rifle in a swordfighting game?"

Etc. Without fail when you look at things through the eyes of a hypothetical other player they sound like absolute poo poo that nobody would want to play.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

I was thinking about this with the Gamestop stuff. People were talking about how doing a short squeeze was sticking it to Wall Street, when the reality is that this was short squeezing a very narrow subset of investors, and investors rise and fall on Wall Street all the time. And yet so many people, including major media organizations, parroted the notion that this was some kind of populist uprising against Wall Street, when it was more akin to Don Quixote fighting windmills thinking they're dragons.
Yeah, exactly. It's dangerous thinking because you're making your investments emotional, which is most definitely A Bad Thing.

The idea that hedge funds are some omnipotent enemy that "apes" need to defeat is really, really dumb, even as a basic premise, and neglects to understand the simple logic that "hedgies" don't only bet one way. If there is money to be made institutional investors will bet whichever way maximises their profit, whereas apes will only buy and hodl (at least in theory, many will - or ought to at least - cash out silently when they get a resaonable gain if they have any sense at all). The GME short squeeze was a thing, but people think they are seeing it everywhere now, and are losing their shirts in the process.

It does remind me of crypto/NFTs in an oblique way, in the sense that people are jumping into things without any due diligence at all simply because that's the way the wind seems to be blowing, and at the promise of instant riches. The problem is the information they are consuming is not objective. If all you consume all day is pro-crypto evangelist content then you're naturally going to end up believing that their narrative is the immutable truth, as with everything else, especially if you've already got skin in the game.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 17, 2021

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
i'm sure the games industry, (which spends millions of dollars and needs armies of developers just to get its own assets working) is going to develop, adopt, and maintain indefinitely a level of asset portability and network integration that it has never achieved even across a single studio's titles

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

ryde posted:

NFT proponents just don't understand the desires of gamers in general. Seen the old adage that gamers want real ownership of their virtual items in games. No, they don't. This isn't something that gamers actually ask for outside of people flipping TF2 hats. Most gamers want microtransactions, RMT, loot boxes, etc. to go away. We want games to go back to being something you just bought and played, and maybe got an expansion pack once in a while, but that you didn't have to pay rent for.

yeah, it's inevitably just going to be pay to win. that requires a small number of high paying winners and a large number of losers. it's not fun for the losers so they aren't going to want to pay for the game.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/rynbtmn/status/1471932248995864584?t=kshxWchBNlW6ulehKO0hwg&s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

#ApeSyntheticCDOs

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Taking out a loan on a highly volatile commodity with no intrinsic value outside of what value others are willing to pay for it sounds like a highly sustainable methodology.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They're just aping the big finance guys.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
All money is funny money when you think about it. Some money is just, well, funnier.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Leveraging apes to buy more punks. Then gonna leverage my punks to buy more apes.

Lmao we are literally in the 20s again.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Loads of these schemes work great if one of your steps is "cash out a massive loan and flee the country".

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

zedprime posted:

I mean, technically, literally we are.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
My mortgage loan officer started asking me about crypto and specifically ripple. I went down the list in my head of everything dumb about bitcoin and crypto from spending 12 years in this thread, but he kept saying how ripple has been adopted by many international banks and a bunch of other legit (to him) sounding stuff. His use case response was transfer fees and the usual BS, and my response was "but in the end you're just trying to make money".

Anyway... Is there actually anything to ripple? He was talking about some conspiracy from the globalist mainstream media about not adding ripple to the top 3 cryptocurrencies with the largest market cap during some finance segment a few years ago or some poo poo. I had to shut the conversation down after that.

Luckily I'm closing on Monday and never have to speak to him again.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Garfu posted:

Anyway... Is there actually anything to ripple?
My impression of ripple after a few minutes of looking at it, is that it's even more of a blatant scam then Tether.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah just looking at the fancy website with its veritable fountain of buzzwords in the copy, I'm left with more questions than answers.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I did tell him all about tether and the reason bitcoin's price is propped up and whatnot, but he kept pivoting back to ripple, which I didn't know enough about to refute with language other than bitcoin bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s why he used that word but it’s the same poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin is dumb and bad

I agree that’s why blockchain tether

Blockchain is stupid and tether is a fraud

I agree that’s why ripple and doge

doge is a scam and ripple is nonseNse

I agree, stablecoin tether ethereum

Crypto poo poo is just that thing where it takes more effort to disprove bullshit than it takes to spew bullshit

drk
Jan 16, 2005
XRP (Ripple) bag holders are huge losers even by crypto standards. The fact that a quarter of their wikipedia article is related to ongoing litigation with the SEC should be all you need to know.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

jokes posted:

Bitcoin is dumb and bad

I agree that’s why blockchain tether

Blockchain is stupid and tether is a fraud

I agree that’s why ripple and doge

doge is a scam and ripple is nonseNse

I agree, stablecoin tether ethereum

Crypto poo poo is just that thing where it takes more effort to disprove bullshit than it takes to spew bullshit

Crypto's greatest asset is the fact that few people, neither the people buying into it nor the media paid to report on it, have any clue what a lot of it means.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

drk posted:

XRP (Ripple) bag holders are huge losers even by crypto standards. The fact that a quarter of their wikipedia article is related to ongoing litigation with the SEC should be all you need to know.

As goes the meme, he said that was a good thing. Why would the SEC have a problem if it weren't legitimate huh????

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Xanderkish posted:

Crypto's greatest asset is the fact that few people, neither the people buying into it nor the media paid to report on it, have any clue what a lot of it means.

Just spew out enough bullshit long enough that you can cash out. And it works for some I guess.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Garfu posted:

My mortgage loan officer started asking me about crypto and specifically ripple. I went down the list in my head of everything dumb about bitcoin and crypto from spending 12 years in this thread, but he kept saying how ripple has been adopted by many international banks and a bunch of other legit (to him) sounding stuff. His use case response was transfer fees and the usual BS, and my response was "but in the end you're just trying to make money".

Anyway... Is there actually anything to ripple? He was talking about some conspiracy from the globalist mainstream media about not adding ripple to the top 3 cryptocurrencies with the largest market cap during some finance segment a few years ago or some poo poo. I had to shut the conversation down after that.

drat son, you should have asked him to approve a second mortgage to buy ripple!

if ripple goes up you make money, if ripple goes down you can sue the gently caress out of his company for providing bad financial advice. because a loan officer shouldn't be doing that. you can't lose!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You're not going to win any argument with someone who's essentially a cultist, since their position is not one they reasoned into.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"I just heard a little bit about ~crypto~ sure sounds swell, what do you think?" has been a favored conversation tactic of coiners to bypass the reputation they have for a long while now. Sounds like that might be the case with your mortgage person.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1471884791465213963

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

not that anyone in here needs convincing but this is probably the best longread I've read about exactly why this 'web3' nonsense is bullshit

https://twitter.com/tante/status/1471638343150714890

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
It's kind of funny that cryptocurrencies essentially created a commodity out of distrust of the financial system and that the old guard of that system use them to do the kind of business that regulators won't let them do with real money or stocks because it's harmful to the public. It's neoliberalism all the way down.

It's surreal to watch the internet and real world mix. Things that were identifiably dumb on the internet ten years ago are being embraced by the mainstream now. Actual, legitimate financial institutions with real assets are buying in heavily and even more money will be coming due to people's credulity of web3 bullshit. The problem is that we don't get to sit back and laugh when the whole thing comes crashing down like we did when the Bitcoin bubble popped the first time. We're all going to pay the consequences for this and there's nothing we can do to insulate ourselves.

Also,

Garfu posted:

He was talking about some conspiracy from the (((globalist))) mainstream media

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

deadwing posted:

not that anyone in here needs convincing but this is probably the best longread I've read about exactly why this 'web3' nonsense is bullshit

https://twitter.com/tante/status/1471638343150714890

ive got a movement thats about to become decentralized

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DrPossum posted:

ive got a movement thats about to become decentralized

Try less fiber, or a better, more balanced diet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

zedprime posted:

Leveraging apes to buy more punks. Then gonna leverage my punks to buy more apes.

I'm almost certain there has to have been an economic bubble based around hoarding literal apes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm almost certain there has to have been an economic bubble based around hoarding literal apes

Literal apes have some innate value

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

drk posted:

Getting in trouble with the SEC makes it the most real IMO.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
what could go wrong

https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1471940102989529088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Garfu posted:

Ripple is currently facing a lawsuit from the SEC for selling unregistered securities, so buying in right now would be extremely foolish even by crypto standards