Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That settlement deal was some of the shadiest bullshit I had heard about in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah that’s true I went to a meeting in 2016, probably one of the most attended they ever had, literally a week after the election and the chair spent the entire meeting rehashing some beef she had from last week with the progressive and black wings and then singled out and yelled at people for leaving when people started walking out in disgust.

I’m talking more about municipal politics personally. California NIMBY poo poo drives me up a wall and I could actually do something about it.

A ballot initiative to constitutionally forbid ballot initiatives

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, except when the Democrats try to explain this as being the case, everyone's going to tune out and go all :downs:.

Then, when it counts, someone's going to distill it all down to "Biden did nothing to help the kids in cages" and that's the only thing people will remember.

And when settlements do happen, it'll be framed as "Democrats give hundreds of millions/over a billion dollars to illegal immigrants." Like, should the administration/individual dems be excoriated when they don't do the right thing? Absolutely. In this case, these children were abused and their families absolutely deserve compensation, the DoJ/administration should suck it up and pay a global settlement. But it's obnoxious to see posters frame it as a political disaster that voters will definitely remember come next November (And in 2024!), because the reality is that most voters have extremely short memories, usually don't care about specific policies/events unless they are directly affected by them, (And even then...) and are also far more centrist/right wing than posters on this forum.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Mods please sticky the comprehensive post grading rubric so I never make such an egregious error again

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I sure as gently caress learned my lesson. I’m going to try to get involved in local politics when I move back to California next year but gently caress the blue dogs.
Everyone ITT who gives a drat about politics should get involved in the local level in some way, no matter how small, because that's where you stand the biggest chance of making an actual impact. Doesn't even have to be election-related or something traditionally perceived as political, find something you have time for and interest in and do what you can to push it in the right direction. That could mean a mayoral or state rep race, orgs pressuring reps for specific policy, your local school board or HOA, or helping the disadvantaged. Every bit helps.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m not voting for Biden again. They can’t think this is acceptable. How many more years of this game can they play?
What were you expecting when you voted Biden? What do you think not voting for him will achieve? I voted Biden in the general openly recognizing that he wouldn't magically fix everything or give me much anything I wanted and would be, at best, just delaying the GOP's fascist ambitions. But I'd rather the country be muddling along on the precipice than plummeting off it because the latter doesn't have a route back to good that doesn't involve rivers of blood (and coming out the other side on top, if at all, is far, far from a sure thing). It buys time for us to make the inroads we can, where we can, and for the GOP to kill off more of its own base.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't vote Clinton in '16 because she was a uniquely terrible candidate and, thankfully, my state was sure to go blue regardless. I'm all for protest votes, just have to be sure it's doing no more harm than good.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sure seems like the choices are "vote for a useless piece of poo poo who won't even attempt to make anything better despite having a majority which will galvanize the base against the party and result in a huge bloodbath next election cycle" or "don't vote so the result is a huge bloodbath next election cycle"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

also strap up they'll be shooting at us by '24

little late

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
We've done our sacrifice to Odin now for the first time since 2016. So now maybe things can get back to normal:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.se/20211217/swedens-ill-fated-yule-goat-burns-down-a-week-before-christmas/%3famp#cobssid=s

(Large straw yule goat gets built every year in :sweden: with a bad habit of burning up. Has been standing for four years up until last night which is a record)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:toot:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1471705578460401670?s=20

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

This got lost last page, but is really good news assuming the second circuit and the scotus uphold it.

For those that don’t know, the family that owns the company that makes oxy knew that oxy was addictive despite deliberately marketing that it wasn’t and lying their asses off the whole time. When everyone started suing, they bled the company dry to ensure the family fortune was safe and then got a bankruptcy judge to agree to release the family and the $10bn or so they drained from the company from any lawsuits ever.

The first level of appeals said the sacklers get no global peace and can gently caress right off. Since they’re billionaires, though, I’m doubtful that this will last.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

The perfect car is a walkable / bike-able city

You could have stopped here without being silly.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Speaking on cars, the new Grand Tour episode is up.

In the back of my head, I feel like if I knew they were going to do another episode within the next six months I would have enjoyed it more. That said, I overall enjoyed it and had a few great laughs. I hope we get different shots of the end on Youtube or something.

Get well soon Abbie.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 17, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Current event: New Witcher season is out on Netflix

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Current event: New Witcher season is out on Netflix

Friday episodes of The Expanse too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

In the back of my head, I feel like if I knew they were going to do another episode within the next six months I would have enjoyed it more. That said, I overall enjoyed it and had a few great laughs. I hope we get different shots of the end on Youtube or something.

Get well soon Abbie.

It was a decent episode, because that's what it should have been, an episode in a series. But it was still an hour of 3 guys I've been watching for a decade and a half having fun. And their french intern was so cute giving James the finger.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This got lost last page, but is really good news assuming the second circuit and the scotus uphold it.

For those that don’t know, the family that owns the company that makes oxy knew that oxy was addictive despite deliberately marketing that it wasn’t and lying their asses off the whole time. When everyone started suing, they bled the company dry to ensure the family fortune was safe and then got a bankruptcy judge to agree to release the family and the $10bn or so they drained from the company from any lawsuits ever.

The first level of appeals said the sacklers get no global peace and can gently caress right off. Since they’re billionaires, though, I’m doubtful that this will last.

That's good news, but I'm afraid they've stolen so much from so many families, they each need to be fed a spoonful of fentanyl. Every last one of them, while the patriarch is forced to watch from a prison cell. At this point their pills have killed north of 100x the americans killed on 9/11.

Realistically, they're probably going to win when they appeal to a trump appointed judge, but I look forward to John Oliver throwing up a youtube video about this.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

Friday episodes of The Expanse too.

Technically, Thursday night East Coast!

Make sure you access the XRays after each episode (might need your computer) as each episode gets a short add-on mini-episode. Also, Prime Video's YouTube channel will have a Ty And That Guy aftershow where they all talk about the episode too.

Wednesday night, Ty Franck (writer) and Wes Chatham (Amos) had a Patreon Die Hard Viewing Party and it was rad as hell. Everyone already knows that Die Hard is basically a perfect movie, but it's even moreso when a writer and an actor are all pointing out the ways even the littlest thing is just brilliant.

Edit: By every indication this is real, and a semi-common thing, so

https://twitter.com/headgrassman/status/1471861305334239240

I can't figure out if this is heartwarming as hell or they're trying to summon a hellmouth

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 17, 2021

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

When they circle a roundabout 666 times it summons the ice cream truck from Twisted Metal.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I didn't know ice cream trucks could be tuned to the key of spooky

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’re trying to stave off this beast.

https://youtu.be/2MnD6eGqpVU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember a few years ago I heard an ice cream truck rolling around my apartment complex in the Springs playing the theme to MASH, suicide is painless.

Those are some strange folks, is what I'm saying.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I saw an Ice Cream truck on Twitter rolling around playing the Instrumental of Immortal Technique's 'Dance With the Devil'.

Which is not a tune I associate with delicious frozen treats

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/headgrassman/status/1471861305334239240

I can't figure out if this is heartwarming as hell or they're trying to summon a hellmouth

Well gently caress.

How long do I have to work in the ice cream business before earning this perk?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Zamujasa posted:

sure seems like the choices are "vote for a useless piece of poo poo who won't even attempt to make anything better despite having a majority which will galvanize the base against the party and result in a huge bloodbath next election cycle" or "don't vote so the result is a huge bloodbath next election cycle"

I dunno it seems like delaying or stopping the people who tried to seize power and kill congress so they could start rounding up undesirables is important but I'd be willing to hear the other side of this argument.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sentinel posted:

When they circle a roundabout 666 times it summons the ice cream truck from Twisted Metal.

I read a short story where someone was trying to figure out why when highway traffic went by a small town GPS would divert cars to drive a weird path through the city before putting them back on the main road, and it turned out an unknown power was having the cars trace a large symbol over and over again as part of a summoning ritual.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1471916729341255687?s=21

Goddamn

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dunno it seems like delaying or stopping the people who tried to seize power and kill congress so they could start rounding up undesirables is important but I'd be willing to hear the other side of this argument.

Essentially it's "Hope is a lie and optimism is cowardice."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, omicron is not loving around. I was listening to NPR earlier today and one of the guest epidemiologists they had on earlier suggested that the US could see 200,000 cases a day by the end of January, and one million cases a day isn't inconceivable.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, omicron is not loving around. I was listening to NPR earlier today and one of the guest epidemiologists they had on earlier suggested that the US could see 200,000 cases a day by the end of January, and one million cases a day isn't inconceivable.

Also Pfizer just announced that their vaccine in two dose didn't provide enough of an immunity reaction in their under 5 year old trials. They're hoping adding a third one will do the trick, but until then it's going to be a long wait.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

There's still a shitload that we don't know/understand yet:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1471670787853725706?t=Kg6jj__Aof-dDG__w0zmGg&s=19

https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1471838567928373251?t=P2z_gNOCG5lu9u6c4ews1A&s=19

The answer is probably in the middle of the doomer/wide-open spectrum, but data could very much be lying in either direction. Scientific consensus ain't there about severity and data like the above doesn't make much sense. Omicron's definitely here while Delta is still packing the hospitals, so anyone's guess where things go this winter, but it probably won't be great.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Which wouldn't be a big deal if the antivax morons weren't so numerous.

e:

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also Pfizer just announced that their vaccine in two dose didn't provide enough of an immunity reaction in their under 5 year old trials. They're hoping adding a third one will do the trick, but until then it's going to be a long wait.

gently caress.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 17, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You could have stopped here without being silly.

I'm a suburbanite

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which wouldn't be a big deal if the antivax morons didn't use to be so numerous.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's not killing anywhere near quickly enough to appreciably impact the numbers yet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Omicrowned

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Am I understanding that the daily case rate is near as dammit one per cent of the total population?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Am I understanding that the daily case rate is near as dammit one per cent of the total population?

The source appears to be https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=SE15%205AD and those numbers appear to be weekly totals. When I clicked the "98", it said that was the total over 7 days, which is the ratio of 991.7 per 100k. "Average" doesn't appear anywhere that I could find.

So it's infecting 1% of the population weekly, not daily.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well hey then, open 're up we'll have this done and over with in 100 days. That's just how numbers work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

So in theory in 104 weeks it could infect the entire planet (that’s not factoring in vaccinations mask wearing and restrictions on movements obviously)? Like I know it’s not a true 1% infection each week, that’s still going to be a terrifying number of dead and just sick, even if it’s mild vs say delta. More terrifying is anyone without a booster shot or say kids 5 to 11 seem already be at a disadvantage.

I mean I’m not the only person who finds that as something to be pants shittingly terrified of, right ?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

The source appears to be https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=SE15%205AD and those numbers appear to be weekly totals. When I clicked the "98", it said that was the total over 7 days, which is the ratio of 991.7 per 100k. "Average" doesn't appear anywhere that I could find.

1/7th as bad then

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I read a short story where someone was trying to figure out why when highway traffic went by a small town GPS would divert cars to drive a weird path through the city before putting them back on the main road, and it turned out an unknown power was having the cars trace a large symbol over and over again as part of a summoning ritual.

whats the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Milo and POTUS posted:

whats the story

I played with google and maybe it's this: Shoggoths in Traffic