Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I read that as “Jews are all healthy and always have been” the first time and it was still funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Something something lots of cardio something.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trapick posted:

Saturday, but yeah. I love all the clever tricks Rabbis have figured out over the centuries. Look up Shabbos goy, or Sabbath mode on fridges/elevators for more.

Nothing beats the KosherSwitch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

children's blood don't run cheap

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GNU Terry Pratchett.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Traditions are cool and fun. My buddy the other day was telling me about the chiefs in his hometown delivering justice to some thieves and the metric was along the lines of who was able to eat at the end of the day.

I like the idea of a religion providing inspiration for critical thought and I wish that were always the case.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I recall some science professor writing about how some Orthodox Jews came to him asking detailed physics questions, and he was so happy to help them because he thought they'd found science and wanted to better understand the world. But he eventually realized that all they wanted to know was enough to interpret the Torah better.

(I can't recall the exact thing they were trying to figure out, but it was along the lines of understanding whether flipping an electric switch causes a spark, which can be considered a fire, which is prohibited at certain times)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

For the record, the easy mode is to just round down. I'm 5'8" on all official papers and just say I'm 5'7" and have never once gotten poo poo for it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, under-promise and over-deliver. I tell people I'm 6'1", because I'm sure as hell not 6'2".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I can't stop laughing at "These Crackers We Made While We Were Running Away "

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

minato posted:

I recall some science professor writing about how some Orthodox Jews came to him asking detailed physics questions, and he was so happy to help them because he thought they'd found science and wanted to better understand the world. But he eventually realized that all they wanted to know was enough to interpret the Torah better.

(I can't recall the exact thing they were trying to figure out, but it was along the lines of understanding whether flipping an electric switch causes a spark, which can be considered a fire, which is prohibited at certain times)

You're probably thinking of a bit from "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"; the question they originally asked was "is electricity 'fire'". (To which the answer is emphatically "no," by the way. Electrical sparks are not fire.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Warbird posted:

That is 100% a thing you can do but iirc you’re going to need to head down to Texas or our west somewhere to do so.

It's apparently fun enough that it's a problem because the people making $ off of helicopter eradication tourism are now incentivized to keep feral hogs at high, easy-to-shoot concentrations and hinder actual eradication efforts

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dareon posted:

I feel like a lot of the various religious dietary restrictions in particular sprang out of food safety. Pork? Shellfish? Hard to store for long periods without refrigeration and prone to many nasty diseases.

With shellfish, maybe. But pigs are one of the first animals that people domesticated and people ate it without issue. Even in modern times, Anthony Bourdain did some poverty tourism and watched hog anus be cooked in a way that would have been primitive in the bronze age (just throwing it on a fire! Once you have invented fire technology, that is the easiest way to cook things). Viewing it through the lens of health is at best limiting and more often becomes a secular "how so" story.

You could take the secular approach that it was sociological, so there are health-correlated concerns with fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. To benefit people living close to the sea in the Levant. And to keep them there, a prohibition on eating foods more inland.

Even that is deeply uncharitable. One of my Muslim friends was arguing that Allah made pork edible so of course it is good. But Allah asks that we not eat pork. It's a rule for the sake of having a rule. The fun part of Jewish jurisprudence is that you can bounce the various rules against each other and create something wonderful.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

D-Pad posted:

Does nobody remember the goon who made a giant gently caress off spear and hunted hogs at night shirtless with night vision goggles and a drone with infrared? He spelled out PETA with pig corpses and posted the pic here. That thread was awesome.

...why do you think I said you should hunt hogs with a spear?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Learn this ONE WEIRD TRICK to staying Kosher! YHWH HATES it! thinks it's pretty cool actually

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Vitruvian Manic posted:

It's a rule for the sake of having a rule. The fun part of Jewish jurisprudence is that you can bounce the various rules against each other and create something wonderful.
One of the way Jewish laws are sometimes divided are:
Mishpatim: The ones that generally any society would have, i.e. "Don't murder"
Edot: The ones that are specifically Jewish and commemorate things i.e. "Observe Passover"
Chukim: The ones that make no sense, but God said to do them so :shrug: i.e. "No wool-linen blend fabrics"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Teach posted:

because I'm sure as hell not 6'2".

And those are 2 seperate measurements.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

That's not a British thing. It's called Mega Drive everywhere in the world, including Japan. Sega America rebranding it as Genesis is the outlier.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

That's not a British thing. It's called Mega Drive everywhere in the world, including Japan. Sega America rebranding it as Genesis is the outlier.

thank you for explaining the joke

and now like a frog you have dissected, you understand it better

but it's loving dead

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Memento posted:

thank you for explaining the joke

and now like a frog you have dissected, you understand it better

but it's loving croaked

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

:goonsay:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dareon posted:

I feel like a lot of the various religious dietary restrictions in particular sprang out of food safety. Pork? Shellfish? Hard to store for long periods without refrigeration and prone to many nasty diseases.
It's interesting to wonder how many things like this were reactions to food illnesses that were ascribed to divine punishment vs known if not fully understood hygienic principles deliberately declared to be religious principles to make them stick vs random or arbitrary rules that seem prescient and deliberate because we only get to see the surviving religions and not the ones who rolled "god says dig the latrine by the drinking water"

e: oh there's another page lol

e2: - moses

Splicer has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Dec 17, 2021

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 5"8", which is two separate measurements, the length of each of my testicles.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/goodpoliticguy/status/1471500761309712396?s=21

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Roblo posted:

...why do you think I said you should hunt hogs with a spear?

I'm saying you should hunt hogs with a spear. Nothing tastes better than meat you risked your life for

Except in the literal sense, because uncastrated hog meat tastes like poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/janellecshane/status/1209485377154801665?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The best Jewish ruleslawyering I know of is some rabbi saying that you can fly on the Sabbath, but only if you keep a seatbelt on, because at that point, you're considered to be wearing the plane.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Foxfire_ posted:

One of the way Jewish laws are sometimes divided are:
Mishpatim: The ones that generally any society would have, i.e. "Don't murder"
Edot: The ones that are specifically Jewish and commemorate things i.e. "Observe Passover"
Chukim: The ones that make no sense, but God said to do them so :shrug: i.e. "No wool-linen blend fabrics"

I have no idea if it counts as chukim but one of my absolute favorite things about Judaism -- which was never well-explained in the reform synagogue where I grew up -- is Sukkot, where you 1) build a nice little hut outside and eat your supper in it (and maybe sleep in it?) and 2) hold a lemon and some different branches/palm fronds together and wave them around in the air. It is not enough to merely hold them as you say the correct prayers, you gotta give 'em some motion. Shake those leaves.

(I grew up in a household where, if the weather was good, sukkot was just "can we 'camp out' in the tent in the backyard?", so my level of understanding of the holiday is...not nuanced.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/netflixisajoke/status/1339994167032725504?s=21

I know it’s altered by people to a degree but I like the extra effort for this one

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jzux/status/1470845861236076544

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1471550750492966925

https://twitter.com/baddanadanabad/status/1471551534781534210

https://twitter.com/KamerynJW/status/1471582949225250822

https://twitter.com/isosteph/status/1471673201327579136

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PunishedWelshm1/status/1471350972739993601

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Okay, I might just be going crazy, here, but have the average likes on a popular tweet exploded over the past couple of months? It used to be that we'd rarely see a tweet over 100k, and they were usually reserved for something like the president shidding on camera, but now you get a sort-of funny observation from someone with 20k followers and it tops 300k likes. Has the twitter user base tripled since June? Changes to how virality works in the algorithm?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Riatsala posted:

Okay, I might just be going crazy, here, but have the average likes on a popular tweet exploded over the past couple of months? It used to be that we'd rarely see a tweet over 100k, and they were usually reserved for something like the president shidding on camera, but now you get a sort-of funny observation from someone with 20k followers and it tops 300k likes. Has the twitter user base tripled since June? Changes to how virality works in the algorithm?

Twitter has been "encouraging" people to use the algorithmic timeline, which shows tweets from people you don't follow

That view gives viral posts a lot more reach

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/LouisaD__/status/1471779181667225603

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TorpedoFish posted:

I have no idea if it counts as chukim but one of my absolute favorite things about Judaism -- which was never well-explained in the reform synagogue where I grew up -- is Sukkot, where you 1) build a nice little hut outside and eat your supper in it (and maybe sleep in it?) and 2) hold a lemon and some different branches/palm fronds together and wave them around in the air. It is not enough to merely hold them as you say the correct prayers, you gotta give 'em some motion. Shake those leaves.

(I grew up in a household where, if the weather was good, sukkot was just "can we 'camp out' in the tent in the backyard?", so my level of understanding of the holiday is...not nuanced.)

Lemon?

It’s a citron, you Philistine.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
If y'all are interested in more "rules in the Bible and potential rules-lawyering thereof", check out The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs. I really enjoyed it. :kiddo:

Wikipedia posted:

In the book, Jacobs discusses biblical rules, both the obscure and the well-known, and tries to follow them as literally as possible. He even attempts to stone an adulterer and to offer animal sacrifice. He also goes to visit numerous religious groups in order to show their particular views on the Bible, as well as their methods of worship. Some of the people Jacobs meets and talks to in the book:

An Amish family in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Ken Ham of the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky
Rabbi Robbie Harris of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America in Manhattan, New York City
A proselytizing Jehovah's Witness
Hassidic Jews in Brooklyn, New York City
Members of the New York City Atheists
Dean Hubbard of Mississippi who is working on growing the Red Heifer in cooperation with Chaim Richman of the Temple Institute in Israel
A Bedouin shepherd in the Negev desert
Benyamim Tsedaka of the Samaritan community in Holon, Israel
A pastor at Jerry Falwell's Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia
Ralph Blair of Evangelicals Concerned, an organization for gay and gay-friendly evangelicals
Pastor Tony Campolo, leader of the Red-Letter Christian movement
Pastor Jimmy Morrow of the Church of God with Signs Following in Del Rio, Tennessee, who practices snake handling in his sermons

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/Gary_Bainbridge/status/1471491582838730752?s=20

https://twitter.com/mushenska/status/1471412882453712898?s=20

https://twitter.com/kmaustinyoung/status/1471220286108409856?s=20

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

So, uh, where do I buy a biblically correct angel. I need this

Edit: Of course, the answer is Etsy

Endymion FRS MK1 has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Dec 17, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Holy poo poo. Read the article in question if you haven't already, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/SociableBarely/status/1471952334611644418