Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

That's a hell of a lot more than we've ever done in Toronto.

It's a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

That's great, maybe they will have to get rid of that APC they crashed a couple weeks ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Maybe someone can live in it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The coward Doug Ford will be holding a presser at 3:30

"The Ontario government is considering reducing gathering sizes, cutting capacity limits and changing the definition of fully vaccinated to include three doses as COVID-19 cases soar in the province."

Last one is interesting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It sure is, that would very effectively prevent people from dining indoors or going to any kind of public event for the next month.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I mean, if the old vaccines don't work against the new strain, then that makes sense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I don't think there's a "new" vaccine, it's a booster shot of the same vaccine you received previously.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
https://twitter.com/MikePHager/status/1471898930094882825?s=20

The "Canada's Worst Province" competition continues to be more competitive than you'd think!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I'll wait until Edmonton actually cuts.

This year it's increased 1 million to pay for stat and OT pay. And the 10 million is for follow on years, a lot can happen between now and a real cut.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Regina city Police got a $3.8 million increase this week. They said body cams ($1.2 million) were too expensive but for an increase so they could buy a plane.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Gonna enjoy having the restaurants all to myself (and the olds i guess)

(i'm def. not going to a restaurant right now)

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

HappyHippo posted:

"The Ontario government is considering reducing gathering sizes, cutting capacity limits and changing the definition of fully vaccinated to include three doses as COVID-19 cases soar in the province."

Last one is interesting.

I'm assuming the same will happen with Quebec's vaxicode very shortly.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Coward Douglas Ford is HALF AN HOUR LATE for his press conference

Bitch made cowardly gently caress

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Franks Happy Place posted:

The "Canada's Worst Province" competition continues to be more competitive than you'd think!
Basically everything west of Quebec and south of the territories seems like fair game at the moment.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/fo...night-1.5711738

Doug you dumbass COVID can still be transmitted at weddings.

That exemption is going to gently caress over a lot of people. Many venues aren't going to let people shift the date without an explicit government shutdown on the capacity so they'll have to be faced with losing a ton of money or go forward with a wedding during a COVID spike.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sashimi posted:

Basically everything west of Quebec and south of the territories seems like fair game at the moment.

We're all winners

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Manitoba Restrictions:

quote:

Update: New Public Health restrictions include limiting indoor gatherings to household + 10 people, if all members are vaccinated. If unvaccinated person is present indoors it is household + 5.

50% capacities indoors most places. No tournaments allowed for sports - games & practices can continue.

Effective Tuesday AM.

Hmm, no, not following these

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/fo...night-1.5711738

Doug you dumbass COVID can still be transmitted at weddings.

That exemption is going to gently caress over a lot of people. Many venues aren't going to let people shift the date without an explicit government shutdown on the capacity so they'll have to be faced with losing a ton of money or go forward with a wedding during a COVID spike.

I don’t think the wedding parties should worry too much. I have a strong feeling that closing bars at 11 pm isn’t going to do very much, and no way will Ford keep things open when cases hit 10,000 or whatever. My money is on a full lockdown by New Years, hopefully omicron turns out to be mild here and it’ll be a short lived one though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I love the 10pm last call bullshit. Sure, COVID only comes out at night, right?

Either make restrictions based on intended outcomes, preferably based on actual medical science, or gently caress off. This arbitrary nonsense has yet to accomplish anything. If the problem is people congregating in bars and restaurants, then loving close them. If that's not the problem then forcing them to stop serving at 10 pm isn't going to do gently caress all, is it?

It has been 20 months and four waves of infection, either we know how this poo poo works and can plan proper public health measures to address the spread, or just loving give up and let people do whatever.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 18, 2021

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Youth hockey games are allowed but not youth hockey TOURNAMENTS, because everyone knows novel Coronavirus only spreads after the second game. Skating around with a bunch of kids with unknown vaccine status and mixed approaches to personal safety will surely go better than the hyper regulated NHL where this poo poo is spreading like wildfire.

I mean what do you even say at this point?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Starks posted:

I don’t think the wedding parties should worry too much. I have a strong feeling that closing bars at 11 pm isn’t going to do very much, and no way will Ford keep things open when cases hit 10,000 or whatever. My money is on a full lockdown by New Years, hopefully omicron turns out to be mild here and it’ll be a short lived one though.

I sure hope so. My best friend is in that position and while it would be crushing to postpone their wedding for the fourth time unless that happens they won't even have that option.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Franks Happy Place posted:

Youth hockey games are allowed but not youth hockey TOURNAMENTS, because everyone knows novel Coronavirus only spreads after the second game. Skating around with a bunch of kids with unknown vaccine status and mixed approaches to personal safety will surely go better than the hyper regulated NHL where this poo poo is spreading like wildfire.

I mean what do you even say at this point?

We’re at the point where both should be cancelled but tournaments are absolutely worse than one-off games. Kids and parents have time between games and congregate together.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Alberta pharmacies are handing out free packs of 5 covid antigen tests!

The government requires you to have an Alberta health card number to obtain said packs, otherwise you can go gently caress yourself. But it’s better than nothing.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Regina city Police got a $3.8 million increase this week. They said body cams ($1.2 million) were too expensive but for an increase so they could buy a plane.

I'm still in the "wtf" mode from this decision. Why the hell do they need a plane?? Saskatoon had one for a while, then they got rid of it because it was a waste of money.

Give the cops money to fly a stupid plane around a tiny city like Regina for...reasons?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Starks posted:

Given how much those in charge are dragging their feet it's probably going to be another long haul

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

We’re at the point where both should be cancelled but tournaments are absolutely worse than one-off games. Kids and parents have time between games and congregate together.

I agree tournaments are worse, I am saying any hockey of any kind right now is criminal negligence.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Hard to establish a good forecheck when every tie up in the corner could kill you.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Last one is interesting.

Why didn't they open up eligibility for boosters earlier if they were gonna do this, thanks for waiting till a variant got out of hand I guess.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

infernal machines posted:

I love the 10pm last call bullshit. Sure, COVID only comes out at night, right?

I think the goal is to make people decide it's not worth it to go out at all. Or not to get so sloshed that people are drunkenly shouting clouds of COVID at each other.

Either make restrictions based on intended outcomes, preferably based on actual medical science, or gently caress off. This arbitrary nonsense has yet to accomplish anything.

Science went by the wayside the moment a couple dozen MPs and MPPs (or non-Ontario equivalent) got caught taking Christmas vacations in Mexico or the Caribbean, and the provincial and federal governments immediately decided that the #1 government priority was saving face in the wake of that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

I think the goal is to make people decide it's not worth it to go out at all. Or not to get so sloshed that people are drunkenly shouting clouds of COVID at each other.

So the thing is, if businesses are still open, absent a general stay at home order, I still have to go to work. If I'm riding a bus with 50 people and a subway with 200 people twice a day, I'm going to be exposed, so are they. Making it so that I can't buy a drink if I happen to finish after 10 pm is not meaningfully protecting me, or anyone else, from exposure.

The restrictions are ineffective at reducing exposure while still causing hardship for workers and businesses, so what exactly are they for? We've done this dance four times now, and each time we've done it we've seen that it lasts for weeks to months, with the most precipitous drops in cases coming after closing schools and a general stay at home order. We can infer from that, that if we want to significantly reduce the number of new cases per day, we should close schools and enact a general stay at home order until we see a significant drop in the number of new cases per day. If we're not doing that, then stop wasting everyone's time with this bullshit.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 18, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, this whole "cut out all discretionary activities and you'll be fine, but make sure to work!" poo poo is for the birds. It doesn't work, it just makes people miserable.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

tagesschau posted:

Science went by the wayside the moment a couple dozen MPs and MPPs (or non-Ontario equivalent) got caught taking Christmas vacations in Mexico or the Caribbean, and the provincial and federal governments immediately decided that the #1 government priority was saving face in the wake of that.

I love that Kenney changed restrictions so he could have his Christmas party and then shortly afterwards word came out that UCP MLAs cannot leave the country for the holidays.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We've done this dance four times now,

Uh I'm sorry but I had to report this to Doug's Dance cops.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pleads posted:

I love that Kenney changed restrictions so he could have his Christmas party and then shortly afterwards word came out that UCP MLAs cannot leave the country for the holidays.

I'm betting half of them test positive before Christmas anyways. At least one is going to go to a bunch of gatherings knowing they're positive and trying to pretend they're not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Uh I'm sorry but I had to report this to Doug's Dance cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57OUMhARZms

PT6A posted:

Yeah, this whole "cut out all discretionary activities and you'll be fine, but make sure to work!" poo poo is for the birds. It doesn't work, it just makes people miserable.

There's nothing I love more during the coldest, darkest four months of the year than never leaving the house except to go to work.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mila kunis posted:

Why didn't they open up eligibility for boosters earlier if they were gonna do this, thanks for waiting till a variant got out of hand I guess.

The urgency of the booster definitely changed with Omicron given how critical it is for protection vs. Delta. Before that they were probably hoping two shots would ride things out at least until the new year for most people.

And Omicron moved stupidly fast compared to the other variants. Like it was first reported in South Africa only three weeks ago. Delta by comparison was first detected in India in December 2020, first outside of India in February and didn't reach Canada until mid April.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 18, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ford asking the federal government to aid businesses during these new restrictions while the provincial government sits on $2B they already received for covid-related matters is galling

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

meanwhile people need to fight for free antigen tests at the lcbo

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The urgency of the booster definitely changed with Omicron given how critical it is for protection vs. Delta. Before that they were probably hoping two shots would ride things out at least until the new year for most people.

And Omicron moved stupidly fast compared to the other variants. Like it was first reported in South Africa only three weeks ago. Delta by comparison was first detected in India in December 2020, first outside of India in February and didn't reach Canada until mid April.

How much of this was due to travel restrictions though? IIRC the restrictions when Delta became a thing were much stricter than the “gently caress it go anywhere you want” we have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Incidentally, ArriveCan is so swamped right now that the password reset feature doesn't work. The one-time codes they email out aren't sent within the validity period.