Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

First and foremost, unlock planets. Theres little open world areas on earth, venus and deimos, but you don't need to worry about them until later. Just do everything the junctions want you to do to proceed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Warframe goons, what are your ergonomic tips for this game - keybinds, macros, specific frames, and so on?

I played pretty hardcore for a couple years, but had to stop after Scarlet Spear thanks to developing repetitive stress injuries in my wrists. I've made some changes since then (notably changing out my keyboard for one with very light switches, which has made a huge difference) and have recovered quite a bit, but as much as I want to dive into the New War, I'm concerned about backsliding and re-injuring myself. I switched to melee-via-scrollwheel right at the end and that definitely helped, but the intense movement still concerns me.

I'm going to give myself a bit more time to recover, but what can I do to minimize the strain on my wrists, if I do decide to try getting back in?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Guilty posted:

Also big tip, the best way to make progress is upgrading mods. Frames and weapons don't matter at the beginning. Endo determines how far you can get.

Yeah this is a big point that's easy to overlook when you first start out. If you start hitting a wall with enemy power, where the normal RPG approach would be "if only I had [higher level weapon] I could beat this!" in Warframe the solution is almost always to upgrade your mods and tweak your builds. Your new toys are more about variety than power, more about breadth than depth.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kestral posted:

Warframe goons, what are your ergonomic tips for this game - keybinds, macros, specific frames, and so on?

I played pretty hardcore for a couple years, but had to stop after Scarlet Spear thanks to developing repetitive stress injuries in my wrists. I've made some changes since then (notably changing out my keyboard for one with very light switches, which has made a huge difference) and have recovered quite a bit, but as much as I want to dive into the New War, I'm concerned about backsliding and re-injuring myself. I switched to melee-via-scrollwheel right at the end and that definitely helped, but the intense movement still concerns me.

I'm going to give myself a bit more time to recover, but what can I do to minimize the strain on my wrists, if I do decide to try getting back in?

Do you have a comfortable controller? The game has controller support, and while you wont be reliably nailing headshots with it you can do quite well with AoE guns. It's how I usually play.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

BabelFish posted:

They put that section on youtube with lyrics, obviously, as the thumbnail suggests, :siren:SPOILER WARNING:siren::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50II6zJy9U
I thought it was good when playing through it, but now that I can stop and listen to it again with the full lyrics, it might be my favorite moment in the game yet, it really subtly pulls in a ton of story threads into a single powerful moment.

That was the part where it really hit and I thought "We lost. And this is what us losing looks like."

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

So what was the thing eating the Sun? The same thing that was sucking kuva out of the Unum? I spaced out for a bit. Why did Ballas want to sod off back to Tau? I really enjoyed TNW. The Zariman is the best tileset DE has come up with in years. Shame we can't actually Warframe in it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Kestral posted:

Crouch binded to c, use index finger. I heard this is pretty standard to avoid getting 'tenno pinky'.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Kestral posted:

MMO Mouse. Seriously. I use the Logitech one and it's solved every one of these issues. You can script macros onto every single one of the buttons, so now my left hand does nothing except move me around, swap weapons, and jump. Every other function is spread across the 5 fingers of my right hand. Takes a few days to get used to, but since I switched, I went from riding the RSI fast track to not even feeling a little worn out after hours. I use it for everything now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pipski posted:

So what was the thing eating the Sun? The same thing that was sucking kuva out of the Unum? I spaced out for a bit. Why did Ballas want to sod off back to Tau? I really enjoyed TNW. The Zariman is the best tileset DE has come up with in years. Shame we can't actually Warframe in it.

The sun eater was the sentients' Old War mothership/doomsday weapon, Praghasa. It apparently was also just capable of both withstanding and eating a star. The thing sucking the kuva from the Unum tower was just a regular battleship. Ballas wanted to go to Tau because of his delusions of grandeur (the whole solar system was beneath him) and because nobody but the sentients has actually been out of the solar system, not counting the void.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pipski posted:

Praghasa, a Sentient super mothership (that's also possibly Lotus' mom, or at least her corpse) that feeds on debris. Ballas was planning to power it with the Sun's energy and use it to zip back to Tau. Presumably he wanted to do that cause this way there would be no way we could ever really reach him, and his new status would probably allow him to take over Tau and create Orokin Empire 2: Orokin Harder. He gets to take over the old Orokin enemies, kill his Origin System enemies cause lol we need the sun and become the most important man in the universe.

At least that's my read.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neurolimal posted:

Immediate bit of advice: pretty much anything you choose to do will make progress so try not to feel too overwhelmed on what to do, just take your time and figure out what type of guns, melees, warframes, mission types etc you're into. Even "bad" weapons will contribute mastery experience.

Gonna second this really hard.

You are never, ever locked in or out of content. Just make what you can, play what's fun and you'll "passively" accumulate tons of resources.

I run a resource booster every now and then. A solid weekend of play with it on is enough to make my coffers overflow.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

chumbler posted:

The sun eater was the sentients' Old War mothership/doomsday weapon, Praghasa.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Praghasa, a Sentient super mothership (that's also possibly Lotus' mom, or at least her corpse) that feeds on debris. .

Aha. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

My only regret is taking Baruuk instead of Excalibur. It would have felt more fitting to save the day in my original warframe.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kestral posted:

I started using a Nostromo (there's many others like it now - basically a left-hand keyboard with typically used keys) nearly a decade ago, along with a 12-button MMO mouse, and aside from poo poo games that don't let you rebind it's perfect. No stretching or hyperextending and I can play a truly unhealthy number of hours. Granted, you don't need those, but I'll never go back.

Crouch on mouse thumb.
X for item wheel.
C for sprint. You hit this once after start/death/vehicle dismount.
Shift for roll.
Caps Lock for change weapon.
Z for map.
E for melee, with a macro that spams it.
Mousewheel for heavy melee.
Q for interact, with a macro that also hits Y. This is the (still?) un-rebindable cipher key. (on my Nostromo this is a thumb button)

Those all work for a normal-ish keyboard and most modern mice I've seen have at least one thumb button. The only thing I can't figure out is how people are comfortable frequently hitting 1-5 on a keyboard. These are bound to thumb buttons on my mouse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would have been nice to have an enemy radar mod on for the combat portions near the end. i'm not sure why they took away your pet.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing during this lotus/ballas showdown? my amp doesn't do any damage, my sword doesn't do any damage. the enemy gets fatigued occasionally but I can't seem to do anything with it. the DBZ kamehameha moments don't seem to do anything. Nothing I do to the shield has any effect. Just what the gently caress?

wow ANY indication those were interactable would have been nice

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 18, 2021

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

hazardousmouse posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing during this lotus/ballas showdown? my amp doesn't do any damage, my sword doesn't do any damage. the enemy gets fatigued occasionally but I can't seem to do anything with it. the DBZ kamehameha moments don't seem to do anything. Nothing I do to the shield has any effect. Just what the gently caress?

direct her beam at the mirrors surrounding the arena

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

hazardousmouse posted:

During Lotus' attacks - block and deflect her beam to one of the big round tablet things on the edge of the platform. You block and deflect automatically, the only thing you have to is aim the deflected beam. It's easiest if you stand so that Lotus is between your operator and the round tablet thingie, since your angle of deflection is limited.

During Ballas' attacks - position yourself between him and one of the round tablet things, and when he fires, dodge, and his beam will break one of the tablets. When his health bar turns yellow, hit him with your amp.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Where the hell did we get that from?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I recall when Ballas is firing at you he fires one set of beams that will track you and then afterwards fires a beam that just scrolls outward from him along the floor and up the space behind you. That second set will shatter the kuva?/blood? mirror things. This happens after the first round, where you direct the Lotus beams into the outer bloody mirror things and then void beam down Ballas when his shield drops immediately after you redirect the Lotus beams.

P sure that we the sequence at least, Ballas's shields might drop at a different point but that sounds right to my bad memory.

hazardousmouse posted:

Ya it took me a Lotus beam reflect or three to notice it but I think they flicker in and out of existence and are only there when you can target them. There's always a really light outline of where they are but given the heavy load of visuals going on there I couldn't begin to fault anyone for missing them.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 18, 2021

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Overloaded visuals? In MY warframe?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ooo buddy those mouth animations in the final conversation were pretty janky, that happen to anyone else?
Team Natah
y'all?

oh and I wish we got to look at that fuckin awesome wall for more than three seconds

what in the fuuuuuuck. You guys seen Tenshin post TNW?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 18, 2021

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

hazardousmouse posted:

On the one hand, it's always been like that hasn't it - bosses having mechanics which are entirely different from normal enemies, and half of the challenge being figuring out the mechanics.

On the other hand, it's much harder to do now compared to the 2d era, because there's now a billion more ways you could interact with the game world.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

Overloaded visuals? In MY warframe?

The new bow is great huh, doesn't seem to have self knockdown either so you can just walk in to that blinding cloud of particles.

hazardousmouse posted:

ooo buddy those mouth animations in the final conversation were pretty janky, that happen to anyone else?
Team Natah
y'all?

oh and I wish we got to look at that fuckin awesome wall for more than three seconds

I thought the facial animations were a lot better than they've ever been in TNW, but ya I definitely noticed some stuff that didn't seem like it was quite tuned as well as DE probably would have liked to have been able to tune them.

Hell yeah team Natah. Also Eidolon Natah skin is the coolest look ever. Love my crazy scifi ninja wizard game.

rip Teshin, his segment was great. Maybe we'll get Hunhow as a new space dad lol. Good bet Alad made it out alive too.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Is there a way to just end The New War so I can go back to the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah I got stuck on that part and had to look it up as well. Only real criticism I have of the quest from a boss fight perspective.

Also, team drifter/Natah.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Going to dump my post-quest thoughts (as anyone with over 1000 hours in this terrible game should) and try to keep it brief.

Warframe (the story) is an extremely maximalist experience that covers a wide spread of quality. At its best, it is an extremely creative Jodorowsky-type space opera full of unexplained absurdity and mindbogglingly grand sweeps of activity that can set your mind reeling. At its worst, it can feel like a Youtube fan video of a better franchise, a series of low-hanging references and a failure to 'commit to the bit' which can leave whole sections feeling lame or too obviously inspired by better material. For me, New War was almost all the latter.

From the dated Whedon-esque quips (even in this cursed Marvel timeline it still feels painfully out of step to have characters cracking wise at times when you are simultaneously trying to instill a sense of urgency to the player, section that poo poo out if you absolutely have to do it! (But also just don't!!)) to the uncharacteristically straightforward plot moves (everything was Ballas, Ballas was your standard whiny incel antagonist, Ballas died of female after being dazzled by a comically large titty window due to wearing his own VR hat) it felt like a story and resolution you'd find in a much less interesting franchise, where everything is resolved solely by warring hand beams and the power of belief instead of fingerships and mute meat robots.

To compound this, Warframe the game is objectively not that good at its core loop of being ground down by targets firing effectively invisible attacks at you, mostly outside of your limited field of view, and relies entirely on satisfying twitch shooting and dropping absolutely disgusting amounts of cool loot on you. It's really good at both of those, sustains many hours with them and getting cool new toys to own huge crowds to many people is the whole entire thing. The New War was entirely the fundamentally busted core loop and nothing else, and the only reason it passed with minimal friction is, as with the main game, they necessarily had to dial everything down to a triviality to avoid the giant elephant in the room (game don't really work) from crushing the entire quest. So the biggest selling point, that you are bringing your literal big guns to the final showdown, just fades to nothingness as they are unable to figure out a way to leverage that without making you potentially eat poo poo halfway through the quest. Or any quest. Game's busted, stop trying to make it a thing and just drop cool poo poo on us! Even during quests! Get over yourselves! I would have optionally saved EVERY Ostron had it clearly signposted that I would get a new song or poster or whatever for doing so, just as I've done every other idiot menial task in the game for likewise.

That's my base feeling, but on top of that, briefly cycling through so many disparate side characters to try and take part in what was intended to be a serious, era-concluding story felt cheap and unearned, with hardly any of them having any kind of payoff or reason to be there except, remember this? Remember British Robot? Remember Funny Corpus Man and Funny Grineer Man? Remember Literally Just The Radio Announcer From The Warriors? I do, I really do.

Anyway I'm cutting myself off there but, pretty disappointing overall. Just feels like it's trying to cast the net too wide and appeal to everyone, forgetting what made it unique in the first place.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
wow, you know what really grinds my gears?

Super Foul Egg posted:

you should just have deleted this rant

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

hazardousmouse posted:

Don't just post

Disagree, although now that I've caught up on other people's spoilers I think my operator took the aging process worse than most of the other screenshots I've seen and as a result that probably hurt the overall experience as my new mashed-up goblin man flapped his mouth polygons weirdly at my meticulously designed baby boy. Also on reflection the wall bit at the end was cool and so was the space sushi scene, lipsync issues and sketchy voice acting aside. There are four voices to choose from! I suspect I picked the worst!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Hey Tuxedo Catfish / other super nerds:

So Wally appeared. Does this link to the almost-certain other timeline where Ballas ate the sun? Duviri looks like the sky's hosed up too.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Super Foul Egg posted:

Going to dump my post-quest thoughts (as anyone with over 1000 hours in this terrible game should) and try to keep it brief.

Warframe (the story) is an extremely maximalist experience that covers a wide spread of quality. At its best, it is an extremely creative Jodorowsky-type space opera full of unexplained absurdity and mindbogglingly grand sweeps of activity that can set your mind reeling. At its worst, it can feel like a Youtube fan video of a better franchise, a series of low-hanging references and a failure to 'commit to the bit' which can leave whole sections feeling lame or too obviously inspired by better material. For me, New War was almost all the latter.

From the dated Whedon-esque quips (even in this cursed Marvel timeline it still feels painfully out of step to have characters cracking wise at times when you are simultaneously trying to instill a sense of urgency to the player, section that poo poo out if you absolutely have to do it! (But also just don't!!)) to the uncharacteristically straightforward plot moves (everything was Ballas, Ballas was your standard whiny incel antagonist, Ballas died of female after being dazzled by a comically large titty window due to wearing his own VR hat) it felt like a story and resolution you'd find in a much less interesting franchise, where everything is resolved solely by warring hand beams and the power of belief instead of fingerships and mute meat robots.

To compound this, Warframe the game is objectively not that good at its core loop of being ground down by targets firing effectively invisible attacks at you, mostly outside of your limited field of view, and relies entirely on satisfying twitch shooting and dropping absolutely disgusting amounts of cool loot on you. It's really good at both of those, sustains many hours with them and getting cool new toys to own huge crowds to many people is the whole entire thing. The New War was entirely the fundamentally busted core loop and nothing else, and the only reason it passed with minimal friction is, as with the main game, they necessarily had to dial everything down to a triviality to avoid the giant elephant in the room (game don't really work) from crushing the entire quest. So the biggest selling point, that you are bringing your literal big guns to the final showdown, just fades to nothingness as they are unable to figure out a way to leverage that without making you potentially eat poo poo halfway through the quest. Or any quest. Game's busted, stop trying to make it a thing and just drop cool poo poo on us! Even during quests! Get over yourselves! I would have optionally saved EVERY Ostron had it clearly signposted that I would get a new song or poster or whatever for doing so, just as I've done every other idiot menial task in the game for likewise.

That's my base feeling, but on top of that, briefly cycling through so many disparate side characters to try and take part in what was intended to be a serious, era-concluding story felt cheap and unearned, with hardly any of them having any kind of payoff or reason to be there except, remember this? Remember British Robot? Remember Funny Corpus Man and Funny Grineer Man? Remember Literally Just The Radio Announcer From The Warriors? I do, I really do.

Anyway I'm cutting myself off there but, pretty disappointing overall. Just feels like it's trying to cast the net too wide and appeal to everyone, forgetting what made it unique in the first place.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

hazardousmouse posted:

Team Natah
y'all?

TNW Teshin cinematic was one of the weirdest things I've seen in a videogame

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Warframe: one of the weirdest things I've seen in a videogame

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

So Wally appeared. Does this link to the almost-certain other timeline where Ballas ate the sun? Duviri looks like the sky's hosed up too.

after much deep thought, great concentration, and meticulous lore combing: Yes! And No! Who knows! The writers certainly don't, but also they unquestionably do! Time Cube Eternalism!

Warframe: Writing a story in a closed room with a radioactive isotope and a flask of poison attached to a geiger counter switch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

endlessmonotony posted:

There's only one timeline, except with respect to there being two versions of the events that happened on board the Zariman, all of which happened inside the Void. If you choose Drifter for the final segment of New War, during the railjack portion where the sun's being eaten they say something like "kinda wish I'd stayed in Duviri", implying that Duviri is somewhere that wouldn't be affected by the destruction of the Sun -- so probably also in the Void (which was already a pretty safe bet).

Ballas never got to eat the sun. He banished the Tenno, spent a few weeks? months? years? conquering the system with a giant Sentient army, then the Drifter shows up and starts messing with his underlings, and some time after that the player gets control of them and the rest of the events of the quest unfold. There are big gaps in both your original Tenno's experience and the Drifter's history, but most if not all of the missing time for each character takes place in the Void, with Wally using his powers to swap us in or out of the singular real-world timeline as he pleases.

When he shows up at the end my best guess is he was coming to collect us again, but the Lotus stopped him. Basically it's like the relationship between Gordon Freeman and the G-Man in Half-Life.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

It's about time we had a new title, isn't the current one from when Fortuna was released?

Regarding the Eternalism stuff on Zariman - I've been thinking about the part where you shake hands with the man in the wall. You suddenly flash through a series of other operators who all appear to die, and then your operator is shown linking hands with the drifter instead. Maybe this was Wally's method for connecting the two (whatever their reason for that was), and it means that the other alternative realities no longer exist. Maybe there are only two realities now, belonging to the operator and drifter. If that's the case, then potentially there are only two versions of every other character - The ones we've always known, and ones that might exist in whatever Duviri Paradox expansion comes in the future.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i wrote up a post on discord that explained, to the best of my knowledge, what the events would look like if arranged in a linear order for the Operator and the Drifter, respectively but i should probably edit it a bit for clarity since it didn't really help in that conversation lol

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Well, the New War unfortunately hosed up my favourite dog:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

TheMostFrench posted:

It's about time we had a new title, isn't the current one from when Fortuna was released?

Regarding the Eternalism stuff on Zariman - I've been thinking about the part where you shake hands with the man in the wall. You suddenly flash through a series of other operators who all appear to die, and then your operator is shown linking hands with the drifter instead. Maybe this was Wally's method for connecting the two (whatever their reason for that was), and it means that the other alternative realities no longer exist. Maybe there are only two realities now, belonging to the operator and drifter. If that's the case, then potentially there are only two versions of every other character - The ones we've always known, and ones that might exist in whatever Duviri Paradox expansion comes in the future.

I want to believe that in the Drifter reality, Nef Anyo is a charitable rebel, working from the inside to turn the Corpus into a non-profit organisation, and we'll be working for him in the next open world.

Seriously, a Star Trek style Mirror Universe would be hilarious.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FunkyFjord posted:

The new bow is great huh, doesn't seem to have self knockdown either so you can just walk in to that blinding cloud of particles.

There's no knockdown because it doesn't actually have any AoE. It just kinda feels like it does because charged shots significantly increase the projectile size.

Feels pretty good either way, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

glad I haven't tried to increase its aoe then.

give it solid multishot and it sure does shotgun through lines of mans either way