Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can take pictures of a nice round(ish) house I built a bit ago once I’m on that computer. It’s one of the few fancier buildings I’ve done so I’ll try to walk through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

I can take pictures of a nice round(ish) house I built a bit ago once I’m on that computer. It’s one of the few fancier buildings I’ve done so I’ll try to walk through it.

Thanks!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there any particular style or look that you're after? Are you looking for functional layout advice?

It's possible to build some pretty good structures with the tools you currently have.

In my latest playthrough I blazed past that phase since I'd done it already so my bronze base is just one of the skeleton towers with a roof slapped over top. I'd take a picture but it's shameful.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there any particular style or look that you're after? Are you looking for functional layout advice?

It's possible to build some pretty good structures with the tools you currently have.

In my latest playthrough I blazed past that phase since I'd done it already so my bronze base is just one of the skeleton towers with a roof slapped over top. I'd take a picture but it's shameful.

Excuse me one of my best bases before I took a break was using an extra wide skellington tower that I built up to three stories and stockaded in thank you very much :colbert:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Post some pics!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A few things to consider if you aren't already:

Start with foundations and skeletons of poles and beams. As long as you're building those together at the snapping points then floors and walls will always fit in afterwards.

If you want to build rounder or diagonally things get progressively trickier to make them look nice, especially rooftops. Building round things is a matter of space and making sure the "edges" of the circle are consistent. A small circle can be make with 1 beam, rotate 1 click, 1 beam, rotate 1 click, 1 beam, etc. Bigger circles means more beams per edge. You can make squishier "circles" by doing something like 1 beam, rotate, 2 beams, rotate, 1 beam, rotate, 2 beams, rotate, etc

Core wood beams can make better walls than basic wood. They can snap horizontally and vertically. They also provide a bit more stability so you can build higher.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

WebDO posted:

Excuse me one of my best bases before I took a break was using an extra wide skellington tower that I built up to three stories and stockaded in thank you very much :colbert:

Yup, I`ve a number of spoopy towers patched up as waystations, because gently caress these 10 minute days.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

nelson posted:

I just got bronze and I need some good ideas for upgrading/rebuilding my meadows base. Right now it looks pretty terrible with my smelter and kiln just parked outside haphazardly next to my simple house. Are there any good videos or pics of bases this level? Most things I see are either starter huts or stone castles. I’m looking for something in between. Thanks!

You can build a lot with just core wood, I built the frame for all of this in the bronze age, I just added stone and other stuff around it.

Found a picture of the original version

I also built this with only core wood, it's just sitting on top of stone.

Kibayasu posted:

A few things to consider if you aren't already:

Start with foundations and skeletons of poles and beams. As long as you're building those together at the snapping points then floors and walls will always fit in afterwards.

If you want to build rounder or diagonally things get progressively trickier to make them look nice, especially rooftops. Building round things is a matter of space and making sure the "edges" of the circle are consistent. A small circle can be make with 1 beam, rotate 1 click, 1 beam, rotate 1 click, 1 beam, etc. Bigger circles means more beams per edge. You can make squishier "circles" by doing something like 1 beam, rotate, 2 beams, rotate, 1 beam, rotate, 2 beams, rotate, etc

Core wood beams can make better walls than basic wood. They can snap horizontally and vertically. They also provide a bit more stability so you can build higher.

The only way I've found to do round roofs and have it look good is having floating tiers that overlap.

https://imgur.com/a/XMp6SKG

Reik fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 18, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reik posted:

The only way I've found to do round roofs and have it look good is having floating tiers that overlap.

https://imgur.com/a/XMp6SKG

Yeah after a certain point you pretty much have to do that. It’s on a friends game so I can’t take pictures right now but we built circular-ish stone tower on one of those spires in the plains and except for the very edges of it what I did to get a roof over it was just a massive cone roof on top built off a iron wood pole.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Here's looking at it on top of a small hill of to the side. Never mind that massive overdone structure in the back. It's big but apart from some spiral staircases it's not complicated. This is actually the unfinished side but its much easier to get screenshots from this side. Anyways so what I did to start off here was experiments to see how much space I wanted and a good way to do that is to start with a single core wood beam at an "end" point. In this case I wanted the main structure to stop at the edge of the water shore so I laid down the first beam there. Eventually what I ended up deciding on was 6 core wood beams wide - by literally laying down 6 beams and seeing how wide that felt - and I added a second straight core wood beam snapped straight on the first one perpendicular to the shore to give myself more length. Onto the second beam I attached 3 beams each rotated one click from the previous and ended up at one side of my entrance. I laid down another beam across where the entrance is and mirror-imaged the foundation I already built on the other side. I knew it would line up because I was building off of that entrance beam.

Looking down the walkway. This was built after I laid the foundation for the main structure. I built out from that core wood beam I laid down to mark the entrance. Everything here is built using standard lengths and snapping and 90 degree angles. You might notice the tops of two staircases (one I need to repair) I built right on the edge of the front floor pieces. I like building close to the ground but I always add these staircases on the edges of floors where I can to avoid any awkward hitches if you're trying to walk up something just a little bit too high to automatically climb onto. I'd remove them if I added more floor onto the walkway.

A view of one side of the room from the middle.

Looking up at the roof. I came out three 26 degree roof tiles from the walls and then one 45 degree roof in the middle. I put 1 half-wall on top of each of the straight 45 degree roof tiles and 45 degree ridge roofs on top of the half walls so there'd be more roof for smoke to exit. Don't know if raising them was strictly necessary but I like the look of it.

The outside of the roof.

This curved parts of the roof actually took quite a while for me to figure out how to get right and by "right" I mean perfectly obsessively symmetrical (the only way to build) while keeping the curve of the roof. I can go into more detail if you want.

The raised fire area in the middle. Again everything is spaced with standard pieces and with right angles. I actually raised the ground here and built the stairs around that. Its here I mention that pickaxe, in the right spot and at the right angle, can actually be more useful than the hoe for getting things perfectly (obsessively) level or knocking back that one piece of ground that is sticking up just a bit too high and clipping through your floor. I needed the core wood poles to support the very top of the roof.

Its pretty modest compared to some of the other stuff around this thread.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A simple longhouse

Entrance

Greathall

Storageroom

Boathouse

From a distance

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I'm extremely impressed with your builds and am just starting to get away from boxy structures myself. But uhh... you guys are using the nocost mode and the build camera mod, right? Like, you're not cutting down hundreds of trees and hauling them home or building scaffolding for all that are you?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What, like some kind of cheater?

But yeah, I did. You should see the plains tower I mentioned and how much iron that place needed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BrianRx posted:

I'm extremely impressed with your builds and am just starting to get away from boxy structures myself. But uhh... you guys are using the nocost mode and the build camera mod, right? Like, you're not cutting down hundreds of trees and hauling them home or building scaffolding for all that are you?

I have to laugh when I see builds on the reddit that claim "vanilla, no mods!". The reality is likely that they have a seed for boss killing, a seed for a quarry, a seed for mining, and a seed for clearcutting, then the seed they actually build on. That way the invasions won't affect the mega builds

Have to be honest, it is tempting to seed hop.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Back in the day you used to be able to infinitely murder greydwarves with giant pits full of fire under nests. That's how I farmed all the stone needed to raise that island base out of the ocean. Tree farms are very useful, was getting like 2 cart loads full of wood each harvest.

This is the compound we built on the last server I was playing on, as far as I know nobody on the server was cheating or bringing in materials from other seeds but there were like 5 of us working on this.

https://imgur.com/a/3ryBF5Y

You can make pretty good japanese architecture with the valheim build pieces, too. These guys definitely used nocost to build these but they're good for ideas/inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPcwFIvJdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdePSYnmCA

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 18, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hasselblad posted:

I have to laugh when I see builds on the reddit that claim "vanilla, no mods!". The reality is likely that they have a seed for boss killing, a seed for a quarry, a seed for mining, and a seed for clearcutting, then the seed they actually build on. That way the invasions won't affect the mega builds

Have to be honest, it is tempting to seed hop.

100% yeah. Though to be fair seed hopping is pretty much necessary to build a cool megabase, as the game is designed to discourage you from doing that.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know how anyone could possibly run out of resources on a Valheim seed. Even when trying to explore as much as possible there's no way I've pulled more than 10% of the resources out of the ground. Probably not even as much as 5%.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah portals to black forests are fine for wood gathering, but while you can't use portals while laden with ore you can worldhop just fine.

But mainly the seed hopping is to keep your megabuild in a world where all the bosses are still alive.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah portals to black forests are fine for wood gathering, but while you can't use portals while laden with ore you can worldhop just fine.

But mainly the seed hopping is to keep your megabuild in a world where all the bosses are still alive.

Ah, that makes sense. Also, the game tracks boss kills and trophy mountings separate, so you can have a server with only the basic raids and still have all the boss powers if you want. Or if you're starting fresh you could at bring just Moder's head with you so early sea exploration isnt total rear end.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know why needing to add a functional chimney for smoke and rain protection adds so much to the enjoyment of building in the game, but it really does.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know why needing to add a functional chimney for smoke and rain protection adds so much to the enjoyment of building in the game, but it really does.

I love it. Even more so that just having a roof piece directly above it is not 100% protection, when storm rain comes down on an angle. Had to modify my cooking hut due to this. The level of thought put into stuff like that is amazing in this age of shallow cash grab games.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

I love it. Even more so that just having a roof piece directly above it is not 100% protection, when storm rain comes down on an angle. Had to modify my cooking hut due to this. The level of thought put into stuff like that is amazing in this age of shallow cash grab games.

Rain doesn't come down at an angle though?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Reik posted:

This is the compound we built on the last server I was playing on, as far as I know nobody on the server was cheating or bringing in materials from other seeds but there were like 5 of us working on this.

https://imgur.com/a/3ryBF5Y

You can make pretty good japanese architecture with the valheim build pieces, too. These guys definitely used nocost to build these but they're good for ideas/inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPcwFIvJdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdePSYnmCA

Love these. I'm just stalling out on my third playthrough with a new character and seed and have exhausted all the mods that look interesting. This'll give me a few more (dozens) of hours out of it. Do you use any specific building mods that include either utilities or extra build pieces? The extra pieces I've seen have either been low quality, don't match the vanilla asthetic, or both.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Especially when you realise you can vent the smoke.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Reik posted:

Rain doesn't come down at an angle though?

It doesn't, but campfires need a certain level of protection from the wind or storms will blow them out.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Love these. I'm just stalling out on my third playthrough with a new character and seed and have exhausted all the mods that look interesting. This'll give me a few more (dozens) of hours out of it. Do you use any specific building mods that include either utilities or extra build pieces? The extra pieces I've seen have either been low quality, don't match the vanilla asthetic, or both.

Those aren't my builds, but they don't use any modded build pieces. They have a couple instructional videos on their youtube page.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

It doesn't, but campfires need a certain level of protection from the wind or storms will blow them out.

I dunno if it is the wind or the rain technically, but during big storms I can see the rain coming down on an angle and the fire that is otherwise covered is out. :shrug:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

OK, while idling in my boat at night I noticed that there are clouds that move across the map. CURRENTLY they coincide with the direction the wind is blowing at my location.

edit: changed direction on map, and changed direction in game.

cool stuff

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 19, 2021

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Finally started building with the tar roof tiles and beams. They look very nice. What's the weirdest thing you've found in a tar pit so far?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:toot:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1476920103807635459?t=IU6Tn6fGTXvZZK9bmnH1Dw&s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It is a really good game I just wish they’d put a bit more time into controller support.

Like it works… just not very well at all.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

It is a really good game I just wish they’d put a bit more time into controller support.

Like it works… just not very well at all.

What issues do you have with it? I play exclusively with controller and the only real pain point I've found is with the inventory and creating menus. I just switch to the mouse whenever I need to use that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What issues do you have with it? I play exclusively with controller and the only real pain point I've found is with the inventory and creating menus. I just switch to the mouse whenever I need to use that.

Yeah pretty much just that part lol.

I play on a mobile Pc and so using a mouse isn’t an option. Although when the steam deck comes out it will be.

It’s really close to being great with the controller they just need a little more refining.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Oh in that case I'd hate it too.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot they can do to address that particular issue. Survival craft games involve so much inventory management it would be awful to use controller only in any case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been playing quite a bit of 7 days to die and they do it really well tbh.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I haven't played since... launch I think and I had a blast. I'm thinking about getting back into it and was wondering what has changed since I last played?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Knot My President! posted:

I haven't played since... launch I think and I had a blast. I'm thinking about getting back into it and was wondering what has changed since I last played?

Fundamentally not alot. Most small updates are bug fixes and quality of life improvements with the occasional small added content.

The biggest change was with Hearth and Home which reworked the food system somewhat and added a bunch of new structure pieces along with new content sprinkled in here and there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah the biggest change was that the mob spawn rate was cranked way up.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Chop a tree, kill a greyling. Chop a tree, kill a greyling. Chop a tree...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I found a wraith trophy after ~300 hours in this game.