Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

I guess bare chested is maybe an over exaggeration. But some chest hair is visible and some are loud and proud with it for laughs it seems.

If someone had a problem with it, I would like I think I foster a group that can come to me for things. Nobody has mentioned anything yet. But also since you brought this up, is it appropriate to police chest hair?

I think your approach is fine and good and correct. Just perhaps allow for us fragile womenfolk and our frail constitutions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the new VP's was giving people poo poo for not having Christmas decorations in the backgrounds of their Webex. I really wanted to unmute and be like "bitch I'm Jewish", but alas.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

I think your approach is fine and good and correct. Just perhaps allow for us fragile womenfolk and our frail constitutions!

Well, I don't think its so straightforward as that. I also don't want to assume someone is fragile because they are a certain gender. I also don't want to police necklines for any gender.

Obviously telling people to not wear robes is fine , even if the entire topic is kind of pointless.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

Well, I don't think its so straightforward as that. I also don't want to assume someone is fragile because they are a certain gender. I also don't want to police necklines for any gender.

Obviously telling people to not wear robes is fine , even if the entire topic is kind of pointless.

I’m being more than a little facetious, in case that wasn’t clear.

Bathrobe = fine if not the most professional thing
bare chest = maybe put on a shirt
Errant chest hair = impossibly arousing, take it away before I cheat on my husband and dishonour my father

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How dare you discriminate against my absurdly hairy chest what if I want to wear a v neck!?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's wrong with my V neck?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954173804.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No chest hair, 1/10.

Edit: real talk though I dress like Marc Rebillet while I work. It's up to you if you want me to turn my camera on or not.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 17, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
this should solve the problem

https://www.amazon.com/Joyci-Fashion-Turtleneck-Collar-Winter/dp/B01MEFXXKY/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=turtleneck+dickies&qid=1639769863&sr=8-11

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening you should buy this and wear it, and only it, to your next standup.

Ideally in person so you can make direct eye contact with the robe-wearers, and dominate them with your sartorial prowess.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bonzo posted:

I'm actually getting used to working with and getting to know co-workers without even seeing their face. I've been working on one project with a Dev for 8 months and I've only seen his avatar.

I feel like those of us who grew up with IRC has a leg up in the current WFH meta :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening hopping on the call like

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Who's going to be the first to show up to an all hands in the Borat mankini?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Wibla posted:

I feel like those of us who grew up with IRC has a leg up in the current WFH meta :v:

Pretty much! Plus I can get ANYTHING delivered to my door now so this was the Internet that was promised to us in 1996.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had our department party yesterday, a good chunk of people couldn’t attend because of a confirmed exposure.

So they basically told us with 2 hours to go, “we gotta hit the $1400 minimum for the space rental, we are not condoning any behavior but uh, break out the bulleit already”

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Pretty much! Plus I can get ANYTHING delivered to my door now so this was the Internet that was promised to us in 1996.

gently caress yes.

I got a 3070TI delivered a few hours ago :toot:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I realized during my second morning meeting that one of my shirt buttons was undone and so I was giving off strong Tom Selleck vibes all through my first meeting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:heysexy:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Doesn’t astral know about blue/green deployments

Maybe the forums have log4j.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

If any of you hack the forums do not look at my dms to clam down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes, everyone will be thrilled to see your hundreds of DM's with no response.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Log4j is a real bitch. That is all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yes, everyone will be thrilled to see your hundreds of DM's with no response.

He's like a needy horny little puppy

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Hahahaha. Oh man. Infra has kept telling us that they fixed all the Log4J vulns, despite not even having a complete list of all servers or the services on them.

Qualys finally updated to be able to check for Log4J. loving 300 vulnerable Log4J versions found.

The fact that Infra doesn't even know everything that we have drives me nuts. I've been asking them to figure out how to get a proper list of everything for a couple years, and only NOW are they going "you know, we should have all of this in a list somewhere..."

YES YOU loving SHOULD. I want to know what we are running so I can have a script check each service for known CVEs so we can patch out all the existing crap that you guys have ignored!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It seems like you also had a need to know for all the things you described. Why don't you have the tools in place to know these things? Why is infra solely responsible?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, this is way more complex than "find the running service." What's your job if not to help Infra find the exploits? Certainly doesn't sound like patching them.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
In our company, we (infra) are not responsible for what services are running on each machine. We will work with security to implement measures to run a whitelist, and install any agents they want to use for inventory management, and patch applications not owned by developers, but not dictate what can and can not be installed.

We still had to take some time figuring out where all our log4shell stuff was hiding despite us having a better than normal way of managing instances. Some stuff like container registries and cloud native services isn't something you can just inventory without cloud vendor assistance

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 18, 2021

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We had a server for an hvac company get actively breached according to datto but despite this, the call from on high was to put our AV on it and hope it does its job until monday :psyduck:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
https://log4jmemes.com/

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

This one is getting bookmarked

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

chin up everything sucks posted:

...despite not even having a complete list of all servers or the services on them.

That org has bigger problems than log4j

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My home PC has the vuln due to APC software. Boo.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

It seems like you also had a need to know for all the things you described. Why don't you have the tools in place to know these things? Why is infra solely responsible?

InfoSec was only set up last year when we went public, and we have been scrambling just to get the company to pass all the audits and certifications that the company has been asked to have. This time last year, the InfoSec department was two people - we have just hired an additional 6 people in the past six month, but getting the tools and getting them integrated is taking us time.

The reason that Infra is solely responsible is that they have held sole access to the server infrastructure until just recently, and we are still finding stuff that they "forgot" to give us access to.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So I found out a sale isn't coming, rather a full operations wind down. Who's been a part of one and did you negotiate anything to stay on?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lol. No. Infosec can install their tools, we’ll open up the ports/service account access them as appropriate, but they aren’t getting domain admin/global admin/whatever. I have been tasked to clean out the elevated access groups prior to our soc2 type 2 renewal and I am pushing hard for infosec to lose their elevated access so only infra people have keys to the kingdom.

There is no goddamn reason for them to have the access that they do when their job is to set policy, monitor systems for vulnerabilities, advise, and inform on best practices. They have enough tools to tell them what’s up; they don’t need domain admin to do any more investigation that shouldn’t already involve infra in the first place.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

hot take it shouldn’t matter who has admin or not because nobody except your CI/CD platform should have write access to a drat thing

break glass accounts, sure. But if you’re in infra eng and are making changes by hand it’s a sign you gotta automate more

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

hot take it shouldn’t matter who has admin or not because nobody except your CI/CD platform should have write access to a drat thing

break glass accounts, sure. But if you’re in infra eng and are making changes by hand it’s a sign you gotta automate more

I agree with this. I'm not asking for admin into these accounts, read-only is fine. We just need some way to know what the hell we are trying to protect.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to cordially invite you to conservative industries/companies who are deathly afraid of any kind of automation and see how far your CI/CD pipeline reaches.

Narrator: The pipeline and the engineer who proposed it died of alcohol poisoning in a nearby bar

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

incoherent posted:

So I found out a sale isn't coming, rather a full operations wind down. Who's been a part of one and did you negotiate anything to stay on?

Not quite a full wind down, but here's my story:
PE-owned company made a few acquisitions, and my company was one. A few years later they had a consulting group tell them a bunch of competing platforms was bad from a business efficiency standpoint, so our campus was shut down and division consolidated. They offered $5k to stick around something like 18 months and $10k to relocate. I felt that if they had already budgeted $10k for key people, I had a pretty good chance at $10k just for sticking around.

Here's how it played out:
"Hello my new VP, my campus is getting closed down and you need me to put in an awful lot of work over the next few months to move our hosting environment. Can you provide some incentive to not take a new job in the middle of this move?"
VP: "Sure, I'll see what I can do."
A few months pass and the move has started.
VP: "Hey, it was tough but I got your retention bonus bumped up so you get it earlier."
"I thought we could discuss. Can we continue negotiating?"
VP: "This was never a negotiation."

I expected at least a conversation, and all I got was a "we made a token effort that didn't cost us anything extra." No actual negotiation took place. I would have given them an extra year, but instead, I left within 30 days of the retention clause being satisfied.

What I learned:
It doesn't matter if you are hot poo poo or the company's single point of failure--you will not be dealt with on equal terms if they don't have to. You are not a partner, you are a worker bee.
Come with specific demands so your desired outcome is unambiguous. If you think you won't have enough leverage, recruit coworkers to join forces.
Deal with accountable people if possible. My VP was the next state over, and he didn't have to talk with me if he didn't feel like it. That would be much harder to pull off if he saw my smiling face every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

18 Character Limit posted:

That org has bigger problems than log4j

Welcome to the company where I work, where we have found servers that were listed as decommissioned years ago that were still racking up AWS bills because we're so loving siloed that people left the company while waiting for someone else to do another part of the decommission and nobody ever finished the part of the guy who left.