Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i find discussing local climate impacts obliquely gets people to engage better. So instead of talking about how climate is killing the forest. Talk about how the trees aren’t getting as much water as they used to, that the oaks are doing better than the pines in the heat.

It’s all describing the same phenomena but focusing on the parts that are easier to grapple with and integrate

Also if your friends don’t want to help with your greenhouse that’s a bummer even ignoring climate, god dang atomization i tell you what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Real hurthling! posted:

somebody photoshop chevron execs killing a baby monkey quick

Here you go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Seriously tho, if climate were a problem, Jeb! would fix it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

it’s a monkey throw dog world out there

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It's a shame we didn't have more leaders who cared about the environment. Might not be facing down climate extinction if more countries considered the impact of unending growth on the biosphere.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

eh, i didn't think it was remove worthy, but it's for Rime to post (or remove) if he thought it was problematic. however, for your benefit, and i think it is important for all the dweebs thinking wind will save us, i will post something i found from a worker on reddit /collapse/. basically new turbines are very bad and breaking right away, many dead before they're installed; across all manufacturers. blades are bad and failed design. there has been tens of thousands of premature blade failures in just america alone, all massively well under their supposed life

now maybe north american corps are just particularly bad, but also german and danish manufacturers are virtually bankrupt because they're making bad things that aren't working, many doa, and having to cover costs to replace with further parts that aren't lasting and costs are spiraling. fossil fuels are just so much cheaper to stick a straw in the ground and burn it up

Sounds like this person probably works in the industry, certainly it is only known within a small section of the industry that a particular manufacturer just installed 500+ drivetrains - which they knew before craning them were DOA with failed bearing components. Gotta hit those contractual deadlines to avoid the penalties! :hmmyes:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
the old dogs are dying as the new dogs are struggling to be born

now is the time of monkeys

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ZCe4QbF-o

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3W2D9DkWWw

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Good news, everyone! Melting glaciers may produce thousands of kilometers of new salmon habitat.
Climate change could help the fish—in the short run. See! It's not all bad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ted hitler hunter posted:

Good news, everyone! Melting glaciers may produce thousands of kilometers of new salmon habitat.
Climate change could help the fish—in the short run. See! It's not all bad.

everyone put this on the short list

along with antarctic shelf failure means more cold fresh water for everyone

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

I want bad things to happen to jack

You don't know Jack

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol Azathoth not that 12 hours is a huge deal but this probe may have been a little oversensitive. probate the monkeys my friend

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVYkyJmbxw0

days n daze posted:

Tragedies killing disasters like clockwork
Maybe I'm just jaded but I don't see the beauty anymore
And so I mourn for every child born
Into this ugly and unforgiving world

We're dropping' bodies droppin' bombs
No remorse no restraint at all
What's left for the ones who come after us
Bloody rubble and a dream coated in dust

How much further do we plan to take it
Slash and burn till the planet lies vacant
And I've always heard that when it rains it pours
If we let the cops pull us over, next they'll bust down our doors

The prisons are loaded the quotas are met
We're starving in gutters and drowning in debt
The system has faltered there's no help to call for
Let's open the toolbox and build something better

God I hope we haven't buried ourselves too deep
Beneath a mountain of abhorrent ideas and greed
And I really wish I had some hope for the future but I'm sorry gotta say I don't

2053 missiles deployed
Soon we'll be shifting through the ashes of a planet destroyed
The human race is just a parasitic toxic disease
We're paving over forests and we're poisoning the seas

A wasteland what once was pure
Decrepit now we've torn the sail
A travesty a wasted chance
The bridge to growth was built to fail

A hourglass is running low
Rusted gears begin to slow
When this modern daydream does collapse
We'll all be begging for the past

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I offhandedly said "rest of my life" in front of my boss at the work function today and she said "what? another 15 years?", referencing what I always say during climate discussions, and laughed. I corrected her and said "15 years at best" and she laughed and everyone else laughed. She does also take climate seriously though and she's in at least half agreement. Everyone loves me and I'm not ostracized at all? Are you guys like frowning and very solemn and serious when you talk about this stuff or like? I tell everyone I'm totally serious but they seriously shouldn't worry about it too much, just enough to prepare. Nihilism.jpg, it's lighthearted news

I don't talk about it much outside of the internet anymore but every so often i'll find someone who appears to be properly doomered and after talking for awhile they usually try to convince me i'm wrong. they always have some dumb scam they've fallen for that they try to rope me in with, like the wood credit card where the company promises to plant a tree if you use it or that search engine that promises to plant a tree if you use it and those things will apparently save our species

sometimes I get a real gem like the ones who claim it's gonna be fine because the physical mass of the earth will survive whatever we throw at it, or the guy who suggested that if i'm so concerned about the environment then I can do something about it on my own but it should be a personal choice

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I watched "The Road" for the first time last night, and let me tell you, that did not make me feel any better lol

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well it is extremely likely that we won't be able to sterilize the planet. Some life will be left alive, and it will most likely go through the motions of evolution during millions of years and pop out again something new.

To be able to sterilize a planet, now that is quite something.. is it even possible? I know a Colossus in Stellaris work, but how about IRL?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Whoever bought the forum ad for Nature Abhors a Dome, thank you.

I lol'd when I saw it. I probably even look like doomer wojack right now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ihmemies posted:

To be able to sterilize a planet, now that is quite something.. is it even possible? I know a Colossus in Stellaris work, but how about IRL?
nah. it's likely that even like 3 billion years ago when it was mostly lava goo or something there was probably extremophile life. like you can go down to the deepest recess of the oceans where there's no real oxygen and there's bacteria just living off geothermal plants in the water. but it's mostly pedantic and moot. so yes, life on earth will go on, either in extremophile bacteria or probably other larger stuff, but also, who gives a poo poo. i would consider genociding like 80% of all the world's biomass in the form of native fauna and flora to be bad enough even though yes it will not entirely go away, not even possible for as awful as humans are, and will eventually recover

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.science.org/content/article/melting-glaciers-may-produce-thousands-kilometers-new-salmon-habitat

yum

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Xaris posted:

nah. it's likely that even like 3 billion years ago when it was mostly lava goo or something there was probably extremophile life. like you can go down to the deepest recess of the oceans where there's no real oxygen and there's bacteria just living off geothermal plants in the water. but it's mostly pedantic and moot. so yes, life on earth will go on, either in extremophile bacteria or probably other larger stuff, but also, who gives a poo poo. i would consider genociding like 80% of all the world's biomass in the form of native fauna and flora to be bad enough even though yes it will not entirely go away, not even possible for as awful as humans are, and will eventually recover

That is good to know. I think that starting life again from the basics (lightning storms agitaing the seas and forming building blocks for the most basic forms of life), amino acids etc. would be quite painful. Even if even some RNA survives it won't be that bad then. Probably! DNA surviving is even better. Life manifested even without current atmosphere so I don't think it will matter too much if atmosphere gets hosed. Seas probably can too get quite hosed without irrepairable damage. As long as we won't gently caress up the Earth's magnetic field, everything should be swell.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's likely our planet could be doomed to end as a ubiquitous film of red algae over everything

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I watched "The Road" for the first time last night, and let me tell you, that did not make me feel any better lol

That's not a movie I gently caress with. Just the synopsis was enough.

I do kinda want to get quotes from the book as a tattoo, if I ever get a tattoo,

"Borrowed time and borrowed world
and borrowed eyes to sorrow them"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It's a movie? I just read the book. It's possibly the most depressing thing I've ever read

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

The Wisest Moron posted:

Glad I could be helpful. I haven't quite hit the no fucks left to give phase but I feel myself getting there. I'm certain that I'll eventually become the town's sandwich board crank.

Here's a sample quote: "Why do you care? Don't you know you'll be gone when it is?"

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Dude that sucks no one around you is interested in green or sustainable building. Maybe you can find some new friends who are interested in homesteading stuff? They probably won't be doomers but maybe that would be good for you lol. But drat it's hard to make friends in this hosed up society

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

It's a movie? I just read the book. It's possibly the most depressing thing I've ever read

the movie is good, yeah

because i keep having to loving move i don't keep many physical books these days but i kept my hardcover of the road. i should re-read it sometime.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://mobile.twitter.com/YETICapital99/status/1471969771222618113/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1471305116431097858

Climate impacts on global agriculture emerge earlier in new generation of climate and crop models

quote:

The ‘emergence’ of climate impacts consistently occurs earlier in the new projections—before 2040 for several main producing regions. While future yield estimates remain uncertain, these results suggest that major breadbasket regions will face distinct anthropogenic climatic risks sooner than previously anticipated.

Soybean shows the greatest losses in the main-producer regions—the United States, Brazil and Southeast Asia—paired with large gains across parts of China and generally higher latitudes (Supplementary Fig. 3).

:boom:

Rime has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Dec 18, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well there’s too much food waste as it is

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

well there’s too much food waste as it is

yeah we waste 40% of our food so beep boop we just waste less food therefore a second dustbowl isn't a problem

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Alobar posted:

the old dogs are dying as the new dogs are struggling to be born

now is the time of monkeys

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

all primates must be destroyed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Whoever bought the forum ad for Nature Abhors a Dome, thank you.

I lol'd when I saw it. I probably even look like doomer wojack right now.

i watched the video when it was discovered here but i maybe wasnt paying attention when he explained the title

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

multiple breadbasket failures coming in ahead of schedule

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

i watched the video when it was discovered here but i maybe wasnt paying attention when he explained the title

we're turning the planet into a giant dome

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gonna use cripsr to allow my body to get energy via photosynthesis like the kids in knights of sidonia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

we're turning the planet into a giant dome

nature loves dome

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
big mood today between omicron and our continuing climate collapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-2GUMijPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

yeah we waste 40% of our food so beep boop we just waste less food therefore a second dustbowl isn't a problem

Millions of Africans will starve before any American cattle do.