Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Doug marrone was not a bad hire. Let’s not do the revisionist history thing. It was a weird hire given the circumstances but up until last season he was easily the best of the post JDR bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

You think Robert Kraft is any less of an idiot than Shad Khan or Woody Johnson or John Mara? He just lucked out and hired the right rear end in a top hat to run his team and Khan hired the wrong one.

Yes, the Jets are just unlucky that's their problem

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I know Jack del rio is a turbochud but I find it really surprising he hasn’t gotten another shot since Oakland dumped him for gruden. He was pretty decent there and the players seemed to like him I thought. Maybe I’m remembering wrong

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Leftwich seems like the obvious choice because of ties to the franchise as well as 'the opposite of Urban Meyer' as to how he approaches the job, and also deserving of a look on his own merits of course. Bienemy fits this mold too but isn't a quarterbacks coach if you're worried about Lawrence's development, just a guy who seemingly everyone loves to play for.

So in other words I expect to be underwhelmed by whoever they do hire because I don't think it'll be either one of those guys.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Never mind. I know why he hasn’t gotten another shot.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
NFL Hot Seat Watch 2021: Unload A Mud Dragon

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think it's time for the Jags to try out the Patriot Way.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think it's time for the Jags to try out the Patriot Way.

Jesus Christ, haven't they suffered enough?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Never mind. I know why he hasn’t gotten another shot.

Del Rio owns lmao

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

mcmagic posted:

Saban ate poo poo in the NFL too.
consider: nick saban was basically .500 with the Dolphins, and as soon as he left they went 1-15

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

JT Jag posted:

consider: nick saban was basically .500 with the Dolphins, and as soon as he left they went 1-15

consider: they went 10-6 two years before he got there, he dropped from 9 wins to 6 wins between his first and second years, Sparano got them to 11-5 and a wild card two years after he left and if he didn’t run off like a coward the players would have stuffed him in a locker and locked it

Adam Gase had a better record with the Dolphins than Saban

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 18, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't think the whole "Urban Meyer is bad at X's and O's," has always been the conventional wisdom, I remember ESPN gushing about his use of tight ends or some poo poo back when he was at Florida and how it influenced Belichick's use of Hernandez and Gronk at the time. Of course, there was more Tebow hooplah back then too, and also, ESPN, but that is something I vaguely remember.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YOLOsubmarine posted:

consider: they went 10-6 two years before he got there, he dropped from 9 wins to 6 wins between his first and second years, Sparano got them to 11-5 and a wild card two years after he left and if he didn’t run off like a coward the players would have stuffed him in a locker and locked it

Adam Gase had a better record with the Dolphins than Saban
I'm not saying he was a good NFL coach, but his 2-year tenure isn't in the same universe as Urban's flameout, the dolphins at least looked sorta competitive.

And Nick only blatantly lied once, Urban did it daily

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be honest, I had more fun keeping up with the Urban Meyer saga this season than watching my own team. I'm not even saying that in an AFC South schadenfreude way, it was legitimately one of the most fascinating coach drama since, like, Jim Harbaugh.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Probably Magic posted:

I don't think the whole "Urban Meyer is bad at X's and O's," has always been the conventional wisdom, I remember ESPN gushing about his use of tight ends or some poo poo back when he was at Florida and how it influenced Belichick's use of Hernandez and Gronk at the time. Of course, there was more Tebow hooplah back then too, and also, ESPN, but that is something I vaguely remember.

He was never an OC. He went from WR coach directly to head coach at Bowling Green. He obviously has concepts he likes a lot but he seemed to rely on the guys he hired to implement them. He wasn’t the play caller at either Florida or OSU. So mostly I think that was Meyer getting credit for what his assistants did.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Doug marrone was not a bad hire. Let’s not do the revisionist history thing. It was a weird hire given the circumstances but up until last season he was easily the best of the post JDR bunch.

I mean that is damning with insanely faint praise considering he had a 5 win and a 6 win season after the AFC title trip

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I don't remember exactly when it happened but at some point it slammed down on everyone like a ton of bricks that he leaned really heavily on his assistant coaches.

I'm sure he had some idea of how he'd like to do things, but obviously when you talk about a guy's playing time and trying to get him more involved when he got zero snaps...well for a while he's just been checked out this year at least. Unless something caught his attention that he could be a jerk about his job seems to have been being a tyrant complaining about poo poo and letting those guys run things.

e:fb by Yolo in less words.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I do remember a lot of hooplah about Charlie Strong, and we all know how that went down. Florida really was just a bastion of lore for awhile.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Frank Reich was a great hire and he got passed up by everyone, including the team that hired him.

The Jags should go with Caldwell. He's not great, but he can help develop Lawrence.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Cross quoting:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, but I think a big part of that was based on the way he built the team. He inherited the tail end of those elite early 2000's Dolphins defenses, and then supplemented it with a bunch more aging veteran defenders- who were all basically in decline by 2006, and them fell apart completely by 2007. It didn't help that all the veteran players basically hated Saban and then seemed to take it out on Cameron.

I think part of the reason why Saban decided to bail was that he realized he had an ugly rebuild in front of him(and also hosed up at QB).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fartknocker posted:

Cross quoting:

Haha. So glad Urban isn’t getting some fat pay day.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Haha. So glad Urban isn’t getting some fat pay day.

he probably will, eventually, but he'll have to sue and go through a pain in the rear end legal process before they settle is what i'd guess

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Leftwich seems like the obvious choice because of ties to the franchise as well as 'the opposite of Urban Meyer' as to how he approaches the job, and also deserving of a look on his own merits of course. Bienemy fits this mold too but isn't a quarterbacks coach if you're worried about Lawrence's development, just a guy who seemingly everyone loves to play for.

So in other words I expect to be underwhelmed by whoever they do hire because I don't think it'll be either one of those guys.

I agree and want them to hire Leftwich. He's also been great with Brady even during the current era of defenses limiting QBs. I think he'd be great for them so of course they'll hire someone else.

I saw some Eric Bieniemy tweets and no, that's not going to work. EB is one of those "i hate analytics" guys too and yikes that's probably why he hasn't been hired yet.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
More teams should try guys who are less experienced. There arent many good coaches in the league so you are unlikely to find a good one in retreads.

I think a guy who hates analytics isnt necessarily the worst thing. A lot of the sensible things to do line up with analytics anyway. You dont need fancy formulas to know you should go for it on 4th and short at their 45

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yet a lot of coaches would punt in that situation. I guess until very recently at least.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yet a lot of coaches would punt in that situation. I guess until very recently at least.

I know. Analytics can help change that but its obvious why you should. The recent 2pt weirdness is where I think the analytics are useless and harmful. Not about going for it at the end instead of tying I like those. I mean during the games. I think it varies based on the situation down to which teams are playing not just a general number.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I feel like I could lean on Eric Bienemy or someone like him to learn analytics or at least present it in a way that I could convince him to do what the analytics said, if that's the worst aspect of their coaching personality

Urban Meyer, meanwhile, is unfixable on a number of different fronts

So yeah I'm definitely team "gamble on the up and comers"

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Lean on Bienemy
When you're not strong

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kawalimus posted:

I know. Analytics can help change that but its obvious why you should. The recent 2pt weirdness is where I think the analytics are useless and harmful. Not about going for it at the end instead of tying I like those. I mean during the games. I think it varies based on the situation down to which teams are playing not just a general number.

If you think the math doesn’t have a way to incorporate this kind of context that’s just because you don’t understand the math

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

However you use analytics it’s up to you and that’s fine. It’s the guys who pretend that they are harmful and want to ignore them that drives me crazy. Analytics aren’t opinions they’re factual hard numbers that you can use in a lot of different ways. A lot of those ways are productive but if you’re straight ignoring them because you don’t want to change that’s unforgivable. Owners understand this which is why analytics guys keep getting hired

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think if the Chargers were playing the Giants on thursday, Staley probably kicks a few of those field goals on 4th down.

But it's KC and he knows that offense can explode (it did) and that the defense was gassed (it was). He used the analytics to make the best choice he thought would maximize the chance to win at the time based on his team and the team he was playing.

There has to be more coaches who will do this

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think you'd have to look at what urban did at Utah to figure out how good/bad his actual football scheming ability is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

I think you'd have to look at what urban did at Utah to figure out how good/bad his actual football scheming ability is.

I can't remember who the OC was but Dan Mullen was there as QB coach (different type of mostly successful until recently rear end) and Kyle Whittingham was the DC who got promoted to HC and is still there. He's turned Utah into a weird Terminator kinda team that doesn't always win but just keeps trying to walk through you.

He's always had good assistants.

Looked it up and the OC at Utah was Mike Sanford Sr who's main claim to fame is coaching UNLV and eventually getting them to be a 5 win team so that one is a relative miss.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1472326658464141319

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Every time he talks about benching Robinson is just another reminder of what a shithead he is. He does his damnedest to spread the blame and deflect away from himself there and it just comes off as petty and sad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Even with his success at finding guys to run his offense I think OSU fans mostly feel like he was ultimately holding the offense back his last few years by demanding a QB run focused scheme and doing weird co-OC poo poo with Wilson and Day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1472331662251933701?s=21

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Remember how Urban was too much of a fragile chickenshit to tell his rookie QB that he made the choice to bench Robinson? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just read that Rapoport thing and I hope this man is never interviewed again.