Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Len posted:

Did they ever unfuck the Crystal Chronicles multiplayer? It's on sale and if you can actually have a campaign going it would be easy enough to get friends to throw in on it.

Last I heard there wasn't a campaign though and the lobbies were one dungeon and then you had to quit and reform?

They did not. It works fine if you want to do a single player campaign with the occasional multiplayer dungeon, and it can be fairly fun to play through a dungeon with random pubs now and then, but it's impossible to do a full campaign in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I remember solo-ing most of that game as a kid because none of my friends wanted to play it with me.

The soundtrack was so good!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just bought a switch for the first time. I got Breath of the Wild which seems obligatory, and I bought 100 dollars of estore credit. What should I buy now? What are the best things on Switch? I bought Battle Brothers because I wanted a strategy game and it's on sale and I've heard it's good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cool Dad posted:

I just bought a switch for the first time. I got Breath of the Wild which seems obligatory, and I bought 100 dollars of estore credit. What should I buy now? What are the best things on Switch? I bought Battle Brothers because I wanted a strategy game and it's on sale and I've heard it's good.

what kinds of games do you like?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
absent conflicting info, I'm going to assume your tastes are identical to mine and tell you to buy Atelier Ayesha DX

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It seems everyone likes Metroid

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Looper posted:

what kinds of games do you like?

I like most kinds of game to some degree, although I'm not a huge JRPG fan. I'm thinking of getting a Pokemon, though. I'm balking a little at paying full price for it, but I gather that's just how it is with first-party Nintendo games. Which Pokemon is the best one to get right now? How important is the DLC?

Are there any MMOs on this thing? I want something that will devour time and distract my from the pain of existence.

There's a ton of indie stuff on sale right now but most of it is stuff I have on Steam already. I guess I'm looking for switch-only stuff that I wouldn't think to get, like obviously you get the Zeldas and the Pokemons and the Marios.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cool Dad posted:

I just bought a switch for the first time. I got Breath of the Wild which seems obligatory, and I bought 100 dollars of estore credit. What should I buy now?

Metroid Dread.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cool Dad posted:

I like most kinds of game to some degree, although I'm not a huge JRPG fan. I'm thinking of getting a Pokemon, though. I'm balking a little at paying full price for it, but I gather that's just how it is with first-party Nintendo games. Which Pokemon is the best one to get right now? How important is the DLC?

Are there any MMOs on this thing? I want something that will devour time and distract my from the pain of existence.

There's a ton of indie stuff on sale right now but most of it is stuff I have on Steam already. I guess I'm looking for switch-only stuff that I wouldn't think to get, like obviously you get the Zeldas and the Pokemons and the Marios.

Warframe is an action shooter sorta MMO that can be played solo. It'll devour a ton of time and is free. Cross-progression is coming next year.
Edit: I wanted to stress that it's actually free and not full of gacha bullshit. You can get TONS of items that randomly unlock a special component that you can sell for premium currency. There's seriously no reason to spend money on it unless you want to support the devs.

Mario Kart 8 is always good to have on hand.

Monster Hunter Rise is loving amazing and a great way to kill time. The PC port next year will likely be better but like hell I'd give up portability.

Metroid Dread is pretty great but I personally don't see myself playing through it again.

Grab an online sub+ and play a shitload of old games while you weigh your options.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cool Dad posted:

5 switch exclusive must-plays

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Metroid Dread
Super Mario Odyssey
Monster Hunter Rise
Luigi's Mansion 3

5 cross-platform must-plays

Disco Elysium
Hades
Hollow Knight
Stardew Valley
Return of the Obra Dinn

5 of the best switch exclusive multiplayer games

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2 (3 is coming out soon? though)
Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario Party Superstars
ARMS (it's great, shhhh)

bowmore fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 18, 2021

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm happy to report that Toejam and Earl still whips rear end

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though it miiiight be worth waiting for Splatoon 3 at this point if you've got a Switch back catalogue to go through, 2 isn't getting any more events.

New Pokemon Snap is a cute and fun experience, I've heard mixed things about the new mainline Pokemon games; Sword and Shield seem to be widely considered disappointing and almost unfinished, while I haven't heard much about the Diamond and Pearl remakes but they seem relatively unambitious.

While mainline Mario games can be rather a given, Odyssey really is an unforgettable experience. Absolutely top of their game.

Golf Story is almost overdone as the indie Switch exclusive (last I checked) but it's charming, funny and bite-sized, also pretty cheap by now, and it does some fun things with the hardware. (Best played with joy-cons)

If you hadn't played it on the Wii U or 3DS, Captain Toad is also pretty fun. Meatier than it looks, it's surprising what they can get out of 'Mario style platforming without the jump button'.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cool Dad posted:

Diablo 3 isn’t an MMO but is an excellent time waster grinding game. Had it on PC and played waaaaay more on switch because it was so easy to.

Monster Hunter rise too if you’re into that (comes to PC eventually). If you’re not into it this game is imo the best entry point into the series

Mario Odyssey if you have any interest in platformers at all is one of my favorites of all time

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have also played probably 1000 hours of smash bros with friends but we all really like smash bros

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cool Dad posted:

All of the recommendations so far are good, I’ll add a few more exclusives. I’m gonna assume that you didn’t have a Wii U because anyone who had a Wii U probably bought a Switch at launch so the Wii U Port Pack will also be worth looking at:

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Super Mario 3D World
Captain Toad

If you’re looking for weapons-grade time wasters, there are three Warriors games all with hundreds of hours of gameplay just waiting for you. Hyrule Warriors 1 is bigger but Age of Calamity is better, especially if you end up enjoying BotW. Fire Emblem Warriors is good if you somehow run out of the Hyrule ones or love Fire Emblem. AoC is my second highest game by hours played, aside from Picross, which you should get if you have an even remote interest in logic puzzles, because they are the best.

Other quick hits if you love Mario: Mario + Rabbids is a very charming strategy game ala XCom. Paper Mario is a fun adventure game also full of charm (and the best soundtrack on the entire console). Mario Maker 2 is past it’s heyday but it’s got a butt-ton of content if you’re into Mario. If you have people to play with in person, Arms, Clubhouse Games and Mario Party Superstars are all wonderful party games.

No matter what games you want, get an account at Dekudeals.com. It’s a price checker that you can fill out a wish list on that will warn you when the game you want goes on sale. At this point every first party Nintendo game has been on sale for at least $40, most of them less. BotW was $30 multiple times in the last month, so if you want to maximize your money, it’s essential. (that said I paid $60 for BotW and it’s worth twice that easily, any sale is like gravy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man Battle Brothers is a bit expensive even on sale. How good is it?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If you want strategy get Into the Breach.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

A few of my favourites that haven't been mentioned yet (I think):

Thumper: Rhythm-based racer with a great sense of dread. Hardly ever play it because it makes me anxious. That said, when you manage to perfectly smash all the beats along the unravelling road of a neon-metallic dimension and destroy its grinning demigod ... Feels good!

Baba is You: Solve deceptively simple-looking environmental puzzles by changing the meaning/reality of things by pushing grammar blocks together ("Wall" is "Grass"). It's made by a Finn so loosen your lovely brain with lovely vodka every time you feel stupid (you will kill yourself within the first five levels).

Obra Dinn: A first-person detective game where you piece together the strange narrative of the trade ship Obra Dinn by investigating scenes frozen in time. You can brute-guess your way through the whole thing but you don't have to. Every solution can be deduced.
The "You solved it!" vignette will pump you the gently caress up.

Tetris Effect: It's Tetris but evolved. It bleeds its 90's techno-hippie heart into a theme of universal interconnectedness around which the new mechanics and cross-platform multiplayer modes are based.
The singleplayer takes you on a slightly embarrassing but genuine world-music journey where the superb layering of synched beats, sounds and effects occasionally come together to liberate your brain.

These games aren't Switch exclusives but the handheld factor complements them and makes them the best versions.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 18, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cool Dad posted:

If you’ve never played a Pokémon game before and you’re a grown adult human being I would skip Pokémon entirely. There may have been versions of Pokémon that weren’t literally kids games, but the current Gen of Pokémon would be like recommending Disney pre-schooler TV programs to an adult. I’m not saying this as a hater, but as someone who was excited to play Pokémon as an adult because I loved them as a kid and who found it frustratingly infantile and unengaging. There are literally 3-4 better monster catching video games on this very console.

I would do:
Mario Kart 8
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread
Mario Odyssey

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cool Dad posted:

It might've been mentioned already but if you get an NSO subscription, you'll get, at this point, tons of old games included, plus Tetris99 (:getin:). If you get the expansion pack, you'll get Genesis and N64 games added to it.

Also, if you like RTS games, Pikmin 3 Deluxe :haw:

The smilie there isn't because it's bad, it's because lately, I won't shut the gently caress up about it. The game is gorgeous and wonderful.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just going to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I don't know which of the following you have but great cheap games for small bursts or equivalent HOURS of gameplay (this eventually became a recommendation of non-JRPGs that I have. The Good for Non-gamers is a tag approved by my partner who generally hates games of all stripes):

-Hades. It's as good as people say it is. A genuine delight to play and I'm glad I managed to break out of it late this summer because if I hadn't I'd still be playing it. Tons of fun and you can sink as much time in it as you want, though it's hard to drop

-Stardew Valley. Another great pick up and play. Make your own goals and farm. Can also be awfully addictive and very "one more day" but it's a great little game.

-Into the Breach. Fantastic little strategy game that'll keep you busy. You can pick up and play and let it be as often as you like.

-Streets of Rage 4: One of the best, if not the best Beat 'em Up ever. It's incredibly fun, very simple to play, hard to master, and the generously priced DLC (I think total it's got to be some 25-30 euro, well worth it), adds a lot of longevity to it.

-Celeste is an excellent platformer that doesn't overstay its welcome and you can really work on the harder levels if you like.

-Mario+Rabbids is a great short strategy game with a bunch of options. That sequels due pretty soon.

-A Robot Named Fight- may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if Randomized Super Metroid sounds like your thing... well it hooked me for far longer than I would've expected.

-Shovel Knight- Great retro platformers that are insanely fun and quick to get your kicks from.

-Any of the Steamworld games, 2 and Heist in particular are loads of fun from platformer action or strategy respectively.

-Dicey Dungeons is cute fun. "randomized" dungeons and rather hard you can sink as much time into it as you like.

-Nuclear Throne is an excellent arcadey shooter. It's brutal though, so up to you how much time you want to sink into it.

-Return of the Obra Dinn is an experience that you cannot miss out on. It's a pity it has to end because solving it is a delight. Good for non-gamers.

-Good Job is silly physics simulation. You can get some laughs playing it. Good for non-gamers.

-Part Time UFO is a great series of tiny challenges that you can knock out at your leisure. Good for non-gamers.

-Untitled Goose Game is the very definition of short and fun alongside A Short Hike. You can't go wrong with either. The two are Good for non-gamers.

-Broforce is a laugh and half. The only problem is that once finished you may want more Broforce.

-Yoku's Island Express is a delight and a wonderful mix of genres. Very easy to get into and it'll make you want to 100% it. It's not long.

-Katamari Damacy Reroll is a wonderful little game with wonky controls. Very unique concept and you'll surely enjoy it.

-Donut County is a funny concept that doesn't last long but it's fun. Good for non-gamers.

-VVVVVV excellent platformer with style and music a bunch of challenging levels. If you liked Celeste you'll like this.

-Tetris Effect. It's the best tetris game out. You can't not enjoy it.

-If you have cash to spare Link's Awakening is a delight as is Tropical Freeze.

Games like Smash and Splatoon are expensive but have fun quick play multiplayer, but you need Online for that. If you do already have Online Basic then you should dip into some of the SNES games, they're genuinely great. From any of the Mario games, to Super Metroid, LttP, but absolutely Yoshi's Island.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is World's End Club any good? I've had my eye on it for a while, but is it worth 40 bucks?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Torchlight 2 and Torchlight 3 are on sale. Any reason to get one over the other?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Some kind of Splatoon 2 cosmetic code, I don't own it

Your download code is below.
C0YY271Q9HSM3L9P

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
offer up your heart and soul to nintendo and receive 5% off your next eshop purchase

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Did this get posted because if not it seems wasted hiding in the OP.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Cool Dad posted:

Metroid Dread, Stardew Valley, Into the Breach make a great "starter" library and will keep you busy for a while.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is a game that didn't get great reviews but I'm really enjoying the Dragonball Z Kakarot game.

Just a dumb rpg where you can relax and fly around killing robots and collecting orbs and fish.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

glassyalabolas posted:

Torchlight 2 and Torchlight 3 are on sale. Any reason to get one over the other?

Torchlight 2 is much better

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A Metroidvania set in the Overlord anime series is coming to Switch and Steam next year. You play as Clementine, who isn't exactly a nice person. Psycho got what she deserved after what she did in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpM11LLpj9A

It looks SotN enough to check out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

glassyalabolas posted:

I looked it up after wondering the same and, while 2 has some performance issues, 3 is hot poop from a butt.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
tbh I would give breath of the wild some time to breath and just play that for a while, game owns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Dad posted:

Hades
Broforce
Into the Breach

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cool Dad posted:

Hollow Knight and/or Metroid Dread

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Metroid Dread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mario Odyssey is my favourite game of all time and it literally made me cry a little bit at one point

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 22, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lastdancer posted:

Posting to remind myself to go back to this page when I get home and put everyone's recommendations into the OP. I wanna like pro post the whole page, lots of good stuff.

Make sure spiritfarer is on there too

Edit:

Oh, and WarioWare Get it Together

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 18, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Dad posted:

Slay the Spire
Binding of Isaac Repentance
Monster Train
Monster Hunter Rise
DOOM (the OG, it's cheap and good)
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Fire Emblem Three Houses (strategy)
Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (if you like old school roguelikes and beautiful sprites)
Dragon Quest XI - worth it even if you don't like JRPGs, it's transcendent
Spelunky 2 (tough but fair platforming)

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Cool Dad posted:

What everyone else said, Dead Cells, and Streets of Rogue.