Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/BBC_Culture/status/1468582412913311744

Vitamin P posted:

Those videos suck we've all seen the original movies.

Saying it again no-one was crying out for a new Matrix flik, Lana has made this movie because she has a story she wants to tell, she's not trying to fill in blanks or errors or incidental inconsistencies in the original trilogy. This movie is exciting because it's not predictable.
Matrix 4 *spoilers* plot synopsis, each line is an individual spoiler, still kept things kinda vague:

for everyone who guessed that neo was going think he was an actor in this new matrix, you weren't far off

neo thinks he's a game developer, the matrix exists as a popular videogame series, this is the context for people referencing "the matrix" like they know what it is in the trailers

neo's boss seen in the trailer is indeed some sort of new agent smith, not as good as hugo weaving who is not in this

very self-referential meta take on the series, loops within loops, cycles within cycles, programming the games is like hacking the matrix in the previous movies

they are working on a new sequel to the matrix game series in this movie that is a sequel to the matrix movie series and they're just talking about the movie itself basically

trinity is married to some guy named chad lol

neo meets trinity, has flashbacks like in the trailer

neo is suicidal but is saved from a suicide attempt by the blue haired woman from the trailer

after being saved, neo joins the blue haired women and trailer-morpheus on their quest, it turns out the real morpheus is already gone because...

neo and trinity were somehow resurrected by the machines, they've basically been asleep in the real world but thinking they have been living a life in the new matrix for nearly 60 years

machine civil war, red vs blue, zion is part of the civil war, but the new characters have a new city that is all very shiny cg where the good machines live with humans

computer programs can manifest in the real world via nanomachines sort of like a more advanced version of deus from matrix 3, very shiny cg

new morpheus is a computer program who just chooses to look kind of like a young morpheus

mergovingian is indeed back as a hobo for a scene

neil patrick harris from the trailer is the new villain, a new architect who brought neo and trinity back to life and is controlling them for reasons, he has bullet time powers because he can understand the code neo wrote

neo and friends break trinity out of the matrix, fighting lots of the bad robots

both neo and trinity have superpowers now, trinity can fly

bad faction can mass control other people in the matrix now, like being taken over by agents but they don't turn into suit and tie guys and they can do it on a huge scale, like syndicate

neo and trinity use their powers to escape... or do they? could it be a ruse?

ominous final sequence with mysterious figures indicating that this is actually the first step in their plan to remake the world...

TO BE CONTINUED... it's all about setting up for more sequels

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reactions are vague, but it sounds like if you wanted this to be weird and interesting it definitely is.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Rewatched reloaded for the first time since it came out today and ... it loving rules??? It's better than the first one. every scene in the whole movie rules, the themes rule, the execution is great. 10/10

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Keanu was on Colbert promoting resurrections and the only thing Colbert said about it was it was entertaining :geno:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There’s a leaked plot on Reddit from like two months ago and every piece of marketing that has come out has confirmed more and more of those details and I think early moviegoers also confirmed it. Hard to gauge if it will be good just from that, wasn’t in love with how it ended.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I've only seen one actually negative review and it was some Chud Fox regional outlet "certified rotten tomatoes critic" on twitter, so if negative reviews continue to come from those types I think I'll enjoy it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ram dass in hell posted:

Rewatched reloaded for the first time since it came out today and ... it loving rules??? It's better than the first one. every scene in the whole movie rules, the themes rule, the execution is great. 10/10

Really? Every scene? Even the Burly Brawl? I thought it looked terrible when it came out, and it's aged like bread.

I watched it recently, too, for the first time since it came out. And it's way better than I remember. But better than the first one? Come the gently caress on.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Early reactions are vague, but it sounds like if you wanted this to be weird and interesting it definitely is.

cool, hopefully this is true because just doing a boring reboot force awakens style is already a tired trope by 2021.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

Reloaded has aged incredibly well, despite the burly brawl cgi, in large part because big studio action films have fallen so loving far in the last 20 years.

The Animatrix, especially World Record, loving slaps.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gorman Thomas posted:

Reloaded has aged incredibly well, despite the burly brawl cgi, in large part because big studio action films have fallen so loving far in the last 20 years.

The Animatrix, especially World Record, loving slaps.

World Record made me so mad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rebootquel! Rebootquel!

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1471669159075454979

https://twitter.com/htranbui/status/1471670240731967492

https://twitter.com/812filmreviews/status/1471669317867642883
https://twitter.com/812filmreviews/status/1471681032315363328

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1471672709620903938
https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1471699813741826049

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 17, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes please

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah that's the same bait those wily Wachowski's have been using since speed racer and I'm gonna bite

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The phrase "it's the Gremlins 2 of Matrix movies" was crafted in a laboratory to make me incredibly interested in seeing this film.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've never seen either gremlins movie, what does any of that mean?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Movie owns

Its like Lana saw what hosed up Disney Star Wars from the start (replicating conflict and stakes without thinking) and made her one the right way, with stakes being almost purely personal this time. It is very focused and playful.

Jonathan Groff rules, NPH rules

SWARM MODE

My only minor gripe is that it is less edgy-grim than the OG, very T3 following Terminator 2 but Gremlins comparisons are apt. Or like Metal Gear Rising. Or Doom Eternal.

Nerds gonna hate it I cant imagine actually discussing the movie IRL

Is it wrong that I only could think of the Brass Against piss accident during the end credits

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 17, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gremlins 2 is, often literally, a cartoonish parody of the first film.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gremlins was a blackly comedic horror/monster film set in a small town.

Advance publicity for Gremlins 2 suggested it was the same kind of thing in a Die Hard-ish scenario where Gremlins take over a skyscraper. It was... not. At all. Which came as a hell of a surprise when I saw it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gremlins 2 is a weird gonzo cartoon that doesn’t at all take itself seriously and is insanely meta and weird and has a scene (scenes?) where the Gremlins stop the movie to gently caress with film projector and then hulk hogan shows up to yell at them and tells them to turn it back on.

Or the VHS version which I was used too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnZ4vu08aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2K1vqcuuc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vitamin P posted:

Saying it again no-one was crying out for a new Matrix flik, Lana has made this movie because she has a story she wants to tell, she's not trying to fill in blanks or errors or incidental inconsistencies in the original trilogy. This movie is exciting because it's not predictable.
This actually casts a new light on Matrix 4 and the other sequels. The meta-discussion in the movie itself makes it sound like WB was hellbent on making a Matrix 4 even if they couldn't get anyone to return, and Lana (and Keanu and Carrie-Anne) returned in order to make something better than what WB would have shat out on autopilot, and make it about struggling with corporate suits in order to reclaim art
https://twitter.com/Willowhugger/status/1471752442660503556

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What I loved that while the new one does not entertain the old theory of "ZION IS JUST ANOTHER LAYER OF MATRIX MAN *bongrip*" directly, it fits it methaphorically. The new Zion, Io, is a moderately livable commune of humans and rebel machines that is making progress creating synthetic sky and growing strawberries. Everyone has a pretty balcony to their dingy hole now! In other words, it is a comfortable status quo just like the Matrix (especially the bright Matrix v9.0 devised by the Analyst where your nightmare is not Men in Black ruining your life (order catching up to you) but loved ones turning into rabid zombies (chaos disturbing your complacency)), solving a lot of issues that people like Cypher had. Niobe explicitly says multiple times that food is good now! And outside, third world machines are at war with each other, what morons! And just like the Matrix needs The One as idea of rebellion and escape (now synthesized in entertainment), Io only needs the One as a distant idea from the past (not necessarily as a superman acting now) so there are plucky rebels idolizing him who hijack ships, volunteer or disobey orders and do poo poo outside.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 18, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

Asked in the CineD Discord, also gauging interest here:

Would any of you goons be keen on a 3-day Matrix marathon stream hosted in the CineD Discord? Tentative scheduling would be December 20th Matrix night, 21st Reloaded, and then the 22nd would be a double feature stream with Revolutions leading up to whenever Resurrections goes live on HBO Max.

[edit] If they plan to drop Resurrections at like 7PM the day-of, we can make it a 4-day event then. Matrix 19th, Reloaded 20th, Revolutions 21st, and Resurrections on the 22nd.

Gonna have to drop out of hosting this one due to unfortunate scheduling :sigh:

Sorry to anyone who was gonna show up. Man, last one I did was for Army of the Dead. I wanna host more discord streams :smith:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

teagone posted:

Gonna have to drop out of hosting this one due to unfortunate scheduling :sigh:

Sorry to anyone who was gonna show up. Man, last one I did was for Army of the Dead. I wanna host more discord streams :smith:

It's a super cool idea, I'm down for future ones whenever you or someone else gets the chance.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Theotus posted:

It's a super cool idea, I'm down for future ones whenever you or someone else gets the chance.

CineD Discord streams I've hosted in the past have been a lot of fun! Watching movies with a chatroom full of goons is for sure a unique way to experience a film, lol.

As right now the Matrix marathon stream is a strict no, but there is a really slim chance that I still might be able to host. I just don't want to openly commit to it and then just end up bailing the day of, but if I can host, I'll make sure to put together quick photoshop ads like I did for my other streams and post them here and in the GenChat/What's Streaming threads confirming the deets.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooof, this is not a positive endorsement like the author probably thought it was lol.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Ooof, this is not a positive endorsement like the author probably thought it was lol.

Sorry, The Last Jedi owns you dork.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Necrothatcher posted:

Ah yes, the final movie in the Skywalker Saga

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah this. I am excited for Cloud Atlas levels of divisiveness for this film. The worst case is a boring retread, I would way rather have an ambitious mess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ah yes, the final movie in the Skywalker Saga

Agreed, The Last Jedi was a great send off for all the characters involved. Glad they finished the series after 8 films. 9 would've been too much.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Necrothatcher posted:

I think the more pertinent issue is the “makes peace with how modern blockbusters are now only about themselves”.

The implication, which I feared from the demo teaser thing, is a further depoliticization of the ‘matrix’ concept as the series settles into being about “creative freedom”.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
looking forward to the scene where Morpheus tells Neo to hurry up and take the pill, theyre running out of time! for Neo to respond with ‘yeah…bullet time’ and then wink at the camera

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Its just Lana this time, but the Wachowski films haven't been getting less politicized post matrix at least. Jupiter Ascending literally had an economy based on harvesting the underclass for purely vanity reasons.

But they are big on love and romance and that looks to be at the forefront of this film along with the creation/nostalgia critiques. So guess we will see how politics play into it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rest assured Ressurection is not less politicized than the trilogy and you can read a lot in its poking at liberalism

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Rest assured Ressurection is not less politicized than the trilogy and you can read a lot in its poking at liberalism

Yes but what about that WOKE AGENDA?!?! Will it or will it not turn my children into cultural marxists?!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
It loving better

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Freakazoid_ posted:

It means you need to watch the Gremlins movies.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just watched reloaded again. I'm curious about how Smith imprints his psyche onto Bane. I mean, you die in the Matrix, you die irl, so if you get your consciousness over written I guess that makes sense. But at the same time, being able to have your program code extracted into the real world and for a human brain to just host it naturally, I dunno but it feels kinda weird.

It's such a good movie though. The fifth Matrix movie or something anyway has to be a commentary on how hard we were on movies during the early days of the internet, not knowing that was the last hurrah for cinema, and pretty much all other forms of arts and entertainment as well

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I spent today watching all three movies. My third eye is fully open and I have gleamed the following wisdom.

1) The Matrix is the greatest film of all time. I am not accepting counterarguments at this time.
2) Reloaded is really good. Like, really good. When they hit that highway, everything from there until the end credits is just great. I still don't know why Neo even bothers fighting Smith though. Bro, you can just leave whenever you want. :lol:
3) For how well built up it is, I think the Super Burly Brawl is the worst Neo vs. Smith fight by a considerable margin, which is sad, because they really did a pretty good job spending two movies building up to it. :(
4) Carrie Anne Moss. Just. God drat.

I enjoyed the hell out of all three movies and I am super stoked for Resurrections on Wednesday. :toot:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

One thing that is refreshing about revisiting the Matrix find is how hopeful they are.

We need more of that in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is the super burly brawl the revolutions final fight?

I thought that one was not bad actually. It has some nice lighting shots and mixing it up with camera work at least. Ultimately it probably goes on a little too long like the other burly brawl, but here they make it very clear its a battle of ideology (purpose/fate vs. choice). This one also had blood again at least compared to the last burly brawl. And speaking of blood, the Smith-Bane vs. Neo fight was a brutality that hadn't been seen since the first Matrix.

I rewatched Revolutions myself tonight and is it the most action oriented of the 3? I like the beginning part where we learn more of the programs and their nature that is basically the same as humans. They have their own society where a controlling government forces rules on them. There is a bit of the choice vs. purpose aspect again as they are defined by purpose but choose to save Sati via smuggling. Some silly stuff too though like the club scene or seraph hiding from Smith. The defense of zion is very progressive with women, minorities, young and old all helping the battle in various ways.

Was the Hammer that Niobe flew the only remaining ship? I know Smith took out 5 with an emp. Then 2 others were destroyed (neb and the other reloaded crew) and neo took one. So 9-10 ships total?

Its a good end in that Neo must choose to sacrifice himself for all societies: zion, the matrix, and the machine city. Its not just dominance by one, but rather a new harmony. All societies will be allowed to exist by choice this time. I like how Smith became the pure agent of purpose and that the only purpose of all life must be to end. So he will end it. It can seem kind of typical villain, but works within the themes of purpose vs. choice.

Overall I think I enjoyed the sequels a lot more this time. I guess now I wasnt expecting them to be just like more of the first matrix and instead trying to appreciate the themes they were trying to discuss. And some great action and actors cant hurt either.