Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the only hope for that adaption is that kubo came back and rewrote the final arc for it

really can't be stressed enough how bad bleach got at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After rereading the Naruto manga earlier this year I've decided that I'm anti-war. In both shonen series and irl.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Battle in 5 seconds
The fight at the acquarium was alright, ended better when best grandpa showed up to school some kids as I really enjoy his character. But I am 100% down for this next encounter. There's a rhythm and cadence to some series as to how their fights feel, and the setup for this one comes straight out of Jojo and so does this character.

It's [Iron Maiden] vs [There's a hole at the bottom of the sea] and I'm not sure that Rin has enough plot armor to survive this late in the game. :ohdear:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They did know the correct song to use in that Bleach trailer so I'll at least give them that. Here's hopping that if they didn't make some edits to the story that it at least looks really pretty.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
That Bleach teaser has me so hyped! Also the art by the other mangaka were pretty sweet, my favorite one is Tabata's piece

https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1472277479691886602

https://twitter.com/daily_bleach/status/1472139891408527360

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why must we be cursed like this

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1472387001681080321?s=20

e: and PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLeeulO8AU

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 19, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto: :tviv:
Please be alright wire guy. You seem like a good fit.
Mash: It's always satifying to see Mash finally punch someone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: drat the dude is creepy as gently caress. Lookin' forward to how poo poo hits the fan.

Elusive Samurai: It's time for Toshiyuki to face his toughest enemy yet - a brat. Somehow surprised that the head priest dude had a grandkid, dude looks like he's in his 20s but his son looks almost the same age at him. I guess gods don't age.

Mashle: Mash punch real hard.

Roboco: Cute romance chapter, nice opening, would let Gachi Gori speak for me anytime.

Sakamoto: Holy poo poo this is getting super hype. Old mana super strong.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There was more to Mash this week then him punching someone and it loving rules. :colbert:

Mash doing an echo while going up to bat had me dying. I love Mash.

Magu trying to disguise himself as human is always good for a laugh and overall a very sweet chapter.

Ginchiyo and Kusanagi are great in Doron, but Dora is kinda losing me a little.

And I'm all aboard to where ever Ayashimon and Sakamoto Days is going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the direction is fine on its own I am a little disappointed that Sakamoto has basically decided to lean into the action and isn't so much a comedy any more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Elusive Samurai: It's time for Toshiyuki to face his toughest enemy yet - a brat. Somehow surprised that the head priest dude had a grandkid, dude looks like he's in his 20s but his son looks almost the same age at him. I guess gods don't age.

I thought he said this was his nephew.

Edit: Nevermind, I am just very blind and missed all the references somehow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I normally don't really get into the comedy manga since a lot of Japanese humor kinda bounces off me but the more earnest parts of Magu are what I really like. I just like this thing where these eldritch gods are more like essential elements of life/death and not necessarily just pure evil- and you see how even the ones who represent even the most seemingly "evil", difficult-to-conceptualize-as-good concepts can in fact be good. Magu just straight up saying that "I will destroy Ruru's sorrows" in the previous chapter was really good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I normally don't really get into the comedy manga since a lot of Japanese humor kinda bounces off me but the more earnest parts of Magu are what I really like. I just like this thing where these eldritch gods are more like essential elements of life/death and not necessarily just pure evil- and you see how even the ones who represent even the most seemingly "evil", difficult-to-conceptualize-as-good concepts can in fact be good. Magu just straight up saying that "I will destroy Ruru's sorrows" in the previous chapter was really good.

Same. Magu chan made me smile. :unsmith: Such a sweet chapter again.

Elusive Samurai: I'm not looking forward to this arc. :( Doesn't seem fun at all.

Doron Dororororon: NO! Don't do this! This chapter wasn't really good. It wasn't bad, but it didn't add anything new or progress the relationships/story in any meaningful way. They already made friends last chapter, so why would she test them again? Instead, it just makes the girl look like a dick. It's like Red Hood staying in the village after defeating the first wolf. :shrug:

Ayashimon: Okay, creepy dude is creepy. This is cool.

Undead Unluck: Umm, we already saw his flashback...3 times I think? Why do this again?

Roboco was good again.

Electric Phantasm posted:

There was more to Mash this week then him punching someone and it loving rules. :colbert:
That is true, but that dude had a solid punch coming for a long time and it felt so good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Doron Dororororon: NO! Don't do this! This chapter wasn't really good. It wasn't bad, but it didn't add anything new or progress the relationships/story in any meaningful way. They already made friends last chapter, so why would she test them again? Instead, it just makes the girl look like a dick. It's like Red Hood staying in the village after defeating the first wolf. :shrug:

I've talked about the pacing problem for this, and this feels like a chapter 2, not a chapter 4. Getting to the point where you have the protagonist team, they kill a monster, and they have some goals is something you want really quick, but instead it's been kind of drawn out, which is something you don't want when you're going basic. If people are treating something as standard shonen, you want to at least, like early Black Clover, be snappy standard shonen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've been re-reading Zatch Bell and that comic takes 5 chapters to explain it's basic premise and another 50 to move beyond monster of the week fights. And all that stuff is good so I am glad someone at Jump is remembering the classics.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Aren't the first 5 or so chapters zatcb/gash trying to stop kiyomaro being so miserable though?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's mostly just chapter 1. Then a couple of chapters of shenanigans and wondering what's the deal with this kid before another kid pops up and explains the deal.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ayashimon: drat the dude is creepy as gently caress. Lookin' forward to how poo poo hits the fan.

Yeah, and considering how fond the author was about killing off side characters in his previous series, I was actually pretty nervous about the survival of the Chopstick Princess lady. Also, the onmyou agency is shady as gently caress, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were behind the death of the previous boss.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, and considering how fond the author was about killing off side characters in his previous series, I was actually pretty nervous about the survival of the Chopstick Princess lady. Also, the onmyou agency is shady as gently caress, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were behind the death of the previous boss.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the current faction leaders pooled their efforts and then took their pieces of the pie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think what makes mashle work better than most of the other OPM-alikes out there is that mash actually has a fun personality and does more than just no-sell things all the time. they could’ve just written it as Mash just being That Fast and That Strong, but him doing his own little baseball announcer narration and then explaining that no, your projectile being super fast isn’t worth much if you have an obvious wind-up helps elevate the whole thing and makes it much more fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think what makes mashle work better than most of the other OPM-alikes out there is that mash actually has a fun personality and does more than just no-sell things all the time. they could’ve just written it as Mash just being That Fast and That Strong, but him doing his own little baseball announcer narration and then explaining that no, your projectile being super fast isn’t worth much if you have an obvious wind-up helps elevate the whole thing and makes it much more fun.

This is the reason this weeks Mash was one of my favorite in a long time and got me to read the entire chapter instead of power skimming. The art style in Mash is meh/whatever and the plot that surrounds the jokes can lose me at times, so I zone out when the non-mash characters are interacting unless the gimmick/gag is really good. Mash was definitely in top form and it was a really fun gag this week. I also really like the villain just implicitly buying into the baseball gag going "Well you were only able to foul tip it!!" - like a wizard knows all about baseball to have a specific critique of mash there. Its fun.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I’d say it also helps that Mash has a strong emotional core which it’s not afraid to tap but never lingers on. Mash is lonely. The world hates him.

Jerkface posted:

This is the reason this weeks Mash was one of my favorite in a long time and got me to read the entire chapter instead of power skimming. The art style in Mash is meh/whatever and the plot that surrounds the jokes can lose me at times, so I zone out when the non-mash characters are interacting unless the gimmick/gag is really good. Mash was definitely in top form and it was a really fun gag this week. I also really like the villain just implicitly buying into the baseball gag going "Well you were only able to foul tip it!!" - like a wizard knows all about baseball to have a specific critique of mash there. Its fun.

That joke about the foul hit got to me as well such a good one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

I’d say it also helps that Mash has a strong emotional core which it’s not afraid to tap but never lingers on. Mash is lonely. The world hates him.

the downtime bits in the chapters where they just go shopping or play cards are :discourse:
love these goofs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mash doing an echo while going up to bat had me dying. I love Mash.

Magu trying to disguise himself as human is always good for a laugh and overall a very sweet chapter.

Ginchiyo and Kusanagi are great in Doron, but Dora is kinda losing me a little.

And I'm all aboard to where ever Ayashimon and Sakamoto Days is going.

The Christmas/New Years bits in Magu have been consistently some of the best in its short run.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

The Christmas/New Years bits in Magu have been consistently some of the best in its short run.

Magu-chan has made it to 72 chapters. At this point, it's not a short run any more.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I am so so glad Magu-chan has survived this long. I could have easily seen it getting axed around chapter 40-50, but it's still truckin' along. I hope it's selling decently well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I am so so glad Magu-chan has survived this long. I could have easily seen it getting axed around chapter 40-50, but it's still truckin' along. I hope it's selling decently well.

Depends on the curve you're using.

It seems to be selling somewhere around 10K a volume. Not great, and axe territory for an action series, but Magu-chan seems to be treated more like a gag series, which tend to get much lower sales. They're more valued for adding to the magazine's variety than for moving collected editions.

For a gag, 10K is... good. Not amazing, but not terrible either, and Magu-chan can move merch, from how the plushie sold. Might get canned at any time, and if it is, I won't be surprised, but for now it doesn't show signs of immediate threat. (If nothing else, just the fact it's been around for more than a year makes it somewhat safer than newbies. There are people who pick up Jump mainly for Magu-chan by now, however few, and losing readers for the core magazine is something to be avoided when possible.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I miss Samon-kun is a Saummoner.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
What are some shounen titles that just kind of abandon the initial premise? I have read all of whats available for "Battle in 5 Seconds After Meeting" and I think its funny how the entire concept of the manga as established, which is like you meet someone who also has powers and you have 5 seconds before you gotta battle them has just been abandoned completely. Its not that people aren't fighting, but that 5 second concept definitely got tossed out the window. I'm pretty sure a few of the first fights even had a clock count down thing on some panels and now no one gives a poo poo. They should have called this Battle with Magic Powers Against Weirdos.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sakamoto Days sure seems like it is headed that way. It started out as a comedy with some occasional fights but the fighting has completely taken over.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jerkface posted:

What are some shounen titles that just kind of abandon the initial premise? I have read all of whats available for "Battle in 5 Seconds After Meeting" and I think its funny how the entire concept of the manga as established, which is like you meet someone who also has powers and you have 5 seconds before you gotta battle them has just been abandoned completely. Its not that people aren't fighting, but that 5 second concept definitely got tossed out the window. I'm pretty sure a few of the first fights even had a clock count down thing on some panels and now no one gives a poo poo. They should have called this Battle with Magic Powers Against Weirdos.

Does My Hero Academia count? The entire first chapter is about how Deku can be a hero despite not having superpowers, but then in ch 2 it's like "nah jk imma give you my superman powers".

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is probably a better example of this, where it starts off as a bad murder mystery manga, that about a third of the way in starts shifting into more of a character focused action manga with overarching mystery elements in it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's Reborn which started as a gag manga then veered extremely hard into combat and for the better tbh.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
How long did it take medaka box to introduce super powers?

Joke option: it took JoJo 2 years before they abandoned breathing magic for ghost magic.

The Skeep fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 30, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jerkface posted:

Extremely Medaka Box

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hell Medaka Box changed premises a half-dozen times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sindai posted:

Hell Medaka Box changed premises a half-dozen times.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I don't think the series has changed premise so much as it's allowed for some fights to have a bit more setup once it stopped having the 1v1 format from the first two phases. Team encounters were a real improvement and necessary given the MC's skillset and ability. Overall, fights are still very much "two people meet on the street and the fight is on" and we just had a setup where the main group were on a date to the aquarium and ran into another team by chance which chaotic results. Same with the current hospital sequence. The timer however gets reserved for boss encounters nowadays and that's just a shame, but it's still great to see it ticking down.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jerkface posted:

Bleach abandoned its initial premise when Ichigo and friends eventually joined forces with the evil authoritarian government instead of fighting against them.

Jojo was initially all about fighting vampires.

Not a shounen manga, but there was that lovely manga about teaching a gyaru to clean. The author got really really mad about it being cancelled, so they had a character get raped out of nowhere. It was really quite an amazing bit of self-destruction on the authors part.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Kitsune Wife went the opposite way where it seemed like a small romancey comedy thing about a husband and wife and then it basically turned into a shonen series with the both of them constantly getting attacked by different Yokai every other day. Or so it seemed, I took a break after the owl fight and whoever the wife was fighting, I remember something about a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Kinnikuman is the earliest one I can think of that went from gag (Ultraman parody) to full on wrestling fightman. Yugioh famously went all in on card battles when the initial premise was any game trick into horror endings. Mahou Sensei Negima went pretty hard into fights when it was just a harem romance comedy premise.